Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Have you tried 114? It's excellent, and not nearly as overpowering as you'd fear.

Possibly, I'm thinking of getting myself a nice bottle of bourbon to kill this weekend after a 70 hour event week and I'm still not sure what. What's the best within the $50 or so price range?

That, or maybe a nice bottle of brandy, a spirit which I know almost nothing about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Price for most Bourbon is under $50, it's availability of the good bourbons that is an issue. Id guess of the sub $50 that you might still be able to find, Elmer T Lee would be a good bet.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Epic High Five posted:

Possibly, I'm thinking of getting myself a nice bottle of bourbon to kill this weekend after a 70 hour event week and I'm still not sure what. What's the best within the $50 or so price range?

That, or maybe a nice bottle of brandy, a spirit which I know almost nothing about

Four Roses Single Barrel or Old Forrester 1920 prohibition style are great and in that price range

Edit: actually you may also be able to get Russells Reserve Single Barrel for around that price too

Deceptive Thinker has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jun 7, 2017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Price for most Bourbon is under $50, it's availability of the good bourbons that is an issue. Id guess of the sub $50 that you might still be able to find, Elmer T Lee would be a good bet.

I live like an hour and a half from the bourbon trail so I can actually get my hands on most stuff that isn't designed to be extremely limited availability for NYC bourbon bars

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Four Roses Single Barrel or Old Forrester 1920 prohibition style are great and in that price range

Edit: actually you may also be able to get Russells Reserve Single Barrel for around that price too

Pretty much all of these are available here, I'll go with the Old Forrester I think

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Just buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace and if you want it fancier for 50$ buy two.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least IMO the difference between mid priced bourbon and high priced bourbon isn't that much at all, especailly compared to scotch or brandies.

edit: It should be under $50 but I recently finished a bottle of Le Reviseur Single Estate which I though was really good Cognac.

Bip Roberts has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Jun 8, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bip Roberts posted:

Finally, a smart post on this subforum.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not sold on expensive bourbons being necessarily worth the cost, but it's my favorite genre of spirits and I've never gone pricier than $25 in my life, so why not ya know?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also I think Scotch is a massively overpriced ripoff

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Also I think Scotch is a massively overpriced ripoff

Japanese stuff is the worst now in terms of value. Scotch can have ok value around 10-12 years of age if you know what you want, the price balloons massively after that.

Bourbon and rye are ridiculously competitive in terms of price, but the really good stuff is extremely hard to find and occasionally priced through the roof.

If you like rye, Pikesville is a pretty good choice. In terms of bourbon, the best consistent value in the higher-end range is probably Russell's Reserve. If you can find Booker's for $50 or less it's pretty decent, too, but the age goes down and the price goes up every year now. Can't go wrong with Evan Williams Single Barrel, of course, but that's not "expensive enough" to be high-end I guess.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ballantine and Pinch are the low-priced scotches for me.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Vox Nihili posted:

Japanese stuff is the worst now in terms of value. Scotch can have ok value around 10-12 years of age if you know what you want, the price balloons massively after that.

Bourbon and rye are ridiculously competitive in terms of price, but the really good stuff is extremely hard to find and occasionally priced through the roof.

If you like rye, Pikesville is a pretty good choice. In terms of bourbon, the best consistent value in the higher-end range is probably Russell's Reserve. If you can find Booker's for $50 or less it's pretty decent, too, but the age goes down and the price goes up every year now. Can't go wrong with Evan Williams Single Barrel, of course, but that's not "expensive enough" to be high-end I guess.

Evan Williams is perf for the discriminating alcoholic on a budget, imo

in my case, i have been ingesting endless gin and tonics while using new amsterdam gin, and it has been luscious

join me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bip Roberts posted:

IMO Bourbon should be bottled at at least 100 proof

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Russel's Reserve 10 year it is then

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Evan Williams is perf for the discriminating alcoholic on a budget, imo

in my case, i have been ingesting endless gin and tonics while using new amsterdam gin, and it has been luscious

join me!

my grandma liked gin and squirt, and i do too

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

if you're spending 50 dollars on a single bottle, how much do you spend on scratch offs and do you still have left over for a gallon of milk for your kids

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

if you're spending 50 dollars on a single bottle, how much do you spend on scratch offs and do you still have left over for a gallon of milk for your kids

I just got a huge raise in a new position that I just worked a bunch of overtime for during an event week and I don't have any kids so :shrug:

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

get two fifths of wild turkey 101 for less than 50 or go to sams you don't need a membership to buy tobacco or liquor, they'll have 1.75s on sale

edit: next you're gonna tell me how you play golf too like trump

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

get two fifths of wild turkey 101 for less than 50 or go to sams you don't need a membership to buy tobacco or liquor, they'll have 1.75s on sale

edit: next you're gonna tell me how you play golf too like trump

golf is a plague

I'm getting a $50 bottle of bourbon before going back to EW white label as my day to day and YOU CAN'T STOP ME

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Epic High Five posted:

Russel's Reserve 10 year it is then

RR has become my new daily sipper as of late and it's super delicious :discourse:

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

o p p o r t u n i t y
c o s t

cheers

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

got any sevens posted:

my grandma liked gin and squirt, and i do too

a kindred spirit! also, you must be thirty years my junior being that i am in my sixties!

i love it

i like gin an' squirt, mint juleps, mojito's, an' i like ma' bourbon, jameson, and rhye, neat

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

An Apple A Gay posted:

o p p o r t u n i t y
c o s t

cheers

you jus get rid o relevant costs, like food, and clothing, and you realize you got jus enough

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Staying in Seoul rn to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed

Soju is 40 proof and 1500won (like $1.30) is a high price in a grocery store for 500ml

Dehumanizing pretty hard

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Watched a guy drink 4 liters of it too, yesterday

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

An Apple A Gay posted:

o p p o r t u n i t y
c o s t

cheers

i pick opportunity up any time i see it at costco

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I just got a huge raise in a new position that I just worked a bunch of overtime for during an event week and I don't have any kids so :shrug:

Congrats, dude.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

curufinor posted:

Staying in Seoul rn to dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed

Soju is 40 proof and 1500won (like $1.30) is a high price in a grocery store for 500ml

Dehumanizing pretty hard

Koreans are crazy drinkers

2013 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

South Korea — 11.2 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Thailand — 4.8 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Philippines — 3.5 shots/week
Bulgaria — 3.3 shots/week
Slovakia — 3.0 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

2017 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

Nite Crew — 47 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week
Day Crew — 17 glasses milk/week

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's crazy how many normies are basically teetotallers

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats, dude.

Thanx

24 hours of overtime but my team and I crushed it for an event that is under enormous executive scrutiny

Now I am off to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at an outdoor amphitheater and then guzzle celebratory bourbon all weekend

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Vox Nihili posted:

Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

are they countin the wine for france, because they drink wine with dinna every night

i for ma part put south koreans to shame

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Epic High Five posted:

It's crazy how many normies are basically teetotallers

Thanx

24 hours of overtime but my team and I crushed it for an event that is under enormous executive scrutiny

Now I am off to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at an outdoor amphitheater and then guzzle celebratory bourbon all weekend

nice!
enjoy! :yayclod:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
JTS Brown Bottled in Bond is so drat good. $12 a bottle too. Just switched to that after my $30 Russel's Reserve 10 year and drat is it so much smoother and 6 proof higher. I hate that KY won't export this poo poo out of their state...

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

2DCAT posted:

JTS Brown Bottled in Bond is so drat good. $12 a bottle too. Just switched to that after my $30 Russel's Reserve 10 year and drat is it so much smoother and 6 proof higher. I hate that KY won't export this poo poo out of their state...

i'm not flyin to kentucky for that, though the thought did cross my mind

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

I got some Old Grand Dad 100 the other day and my brother gave me a death star ice mold. It's a pretty good sipping drink.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im drinking jim beam and sparkling mineral water

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Baloogan posted:

mixed or chasers?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

mixed or chasers?

mixed

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

interesting

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
My favorite drink, and perhaps the most versatile drink around, the Irish Coffee
The 'authentic' way
Warm the glassware using hot water to ensure coffee doesn't immediately lose any warmth. Dump the water out and dry the mug. Add coffee and brown sugar - sugar's optional, but people insist it helps the cream float. Then, Irish whiskey. I prefer Bushmills, in a 3 to 1 ratio but anywhere from 2 to 4 is fine. Gently float heavy cream on top by pouring it on the the back of a spoon to layer the drink.
The proper Irish coffee will have the perfect balance of bitter coffee to sweet sugar and smooth whiskey, from warm coffee to cold cream, from the upper of caffeine to the 80 proof depressant.

The most reliable way
Get coffee. Pour in some Bushmills. Taste it. Adjust coffee or liquor amount. Repeat. You lose the Instagram-approved layering but who cares. You have a no-frills drink that can be enjoyed at literally any moment that relies on the ubiquity of coffee, one of the most popular beverages in the world. Got roped into brunch? Irish coffee! At a wedding where dessert's being brought around? Irish coffee! Been day drinking and need to rally some energy? Irish coffee! Need to blunt a hangover? Irish coffee!

Most importantly, check out this Irish coffee cup:

What did Bunny Colvin tell us? You wave around a bottle of beer at the farmer's market or at a 10 AM meeting, for some reason people will hassle you, say you have a problem or are a public nuisance. Put your liquor in the same paper bag that they all drink from.

• Locked thread