Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Are you feeling very daycrew? does The Mattering seem like it could Overwhelm you at any second? Have you not embraced the nihilism as the free world runs head first over a cliff?

ALCOHOL CAN HELP WITH THAT
if alcohol helps too much please seek medical attention or psyciatric help
cspam not responsible for any injuries, mental of physical, that may be sustained attempting to escape the mattering

Welcome to your liquid escape from this awful (excellent?) reality!

Post here for all your intoxication needs and questions! Need a drink recommendation? Drank something you want to share? Want to make awkward conversation with strangers? We got that

Seriously the combined ABV of this forum would kill you many times over, we've got the gumption to make it through these trying times together.

I'll be posting nightly cocktails, with pictures and instructions. I can whip up recommendations for anything using only what you have accessible

Remember, nothing matters, except paying your tab. make alcohol great again.

Your current Authoritarian overlord bar manager - Lastgirl

Barkeeps:
2DCAT - Secretary Of Liquor
Weeping Wound - Undersecretary of Beer
M_Gargantua - Undersecretary of Wine

Alcohols of the Month:

Liquor - For when you need to maximally concentrate your self loathing and hope it goes away.

2DCAT posted:

Choosing my first Liquor of the Month has been a very difficult and challenging problem. On one hand, I'd like to select a liquor that truly represents the people -- a high proof, low cost whiskey that truly represents the history of America. On the other hand... now that the Republicans in Congress appear to have formally recognized my position as Secretary of Liquor, I also feel the need to side the bastard 1%, and select a whiskey thats mediocre, unavailable to nearly the entire world, and outside the price point of the vast majority of the people. But today, as I walked the halls of Congress... I was reminded at how broken our society has become. Instead of choosing one, or the other... I have chosen to make a compromise.

May's Liquor of the Month is:
Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey

Rittenhouse Rye is widely available across most of the country, it costs $24, and is 100 proof. It's delicious on its own, but also works really well in a manhattan, a sazerac, and an old fashioned. At a lower price range is Old Overholt. It has a more storied history; however, it's 80 proof, and you're pretty much getting better value for money ($18 price point for OO), but who wants extra water in their liquor anyways? Sazerac Rye is also good, but with the higher price point and lower proof (90 proof), it becomes hard to recommend that over the Rittenhouse.

Beer - The working mans choice of watery slurry to grow your gut.

Weeping Wound posted:

Well, what do you know?

It's a Champagne of Beers!

It's PABST BLUE RIBBON

I will make the world drink something better, let alone myself, but let's start with something simple, shall we? :sigh: (it's also like $5 for these don't slay me)

Wine - For when you're trying to appear calm and collected as your coastal elitist world crumbles around you.

M_Gargantua posted:

Wine is the classiest of the tasty drinks. Cocktails are expensive while being delicious, and scotch, while also classy, is both expensive and arguable on the taste front.

But wine shall never come in boxes (unless you're drinking alone)

As i suspect Sicily will survive the coming years,

This months wine is Nero D'Avola. a dark, strong Sicilian red. Its got a lot of flavor and other good wine words. Generally goes for <$15 a bottle, this one was $12.

DO NOT PAIR WITH WELL DONE STEAK SERVED WITH KETCHUP Try it with food, try it on its own, its delicious either way.

As an aside Nero translates black so youre also giving sessions the finger by drinking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
since 2DCAT recommended such a great rye, tonight i'll be having a Classic Manhattan

3oz rye whiskey
1.5oz sweet vermouth
few drops of bitters
cherry
garnish with citrus peel

mixed on ice, served neat.

they're beautiful i know! so to make one

first grab a shaker with ice in it, glass, and sweet vermouth. garnish the glass with a lemon peel if youre classy. add the rye whiskey and the vermouth to the shaker in a 1:2 ratio.

next add a few drops of bitters, if you have them peach biters add a sweet kick instead of the usual. swirl it around until its all mixed up. drop a cherry in the glass, i smash them against the side so its muddled and you don't have to wait for the end to taste it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
no goon is turned away for their tastes. if we did that we would just be d&d.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mormonpartyboat posted:

i was sipppin on some ozark distillery bourbon with a hint of water this evening

that sounds pretty rad. guessing they keep it pretty local because ive never seen it up here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Deceptive Thinker posted:

cold ruins the taste

that's a benefit for lovely liqours. fridgid fireball is amazing and very cheep. jager is also good cold because there's not a good taste to ruin

cold ruining the taste is why you almost always drink wine at room temp

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

2DCAT posted:

A lot of people like buying store-bought vermouth, and while there is a lot of good stuff out there (punt e mas and antica formula immediately come to mind), you can do it better and cheaper if you do it on your own:

This was my last endeavor.

im definitely trying this one my summer settles down. also gonna share my polish brandy recepie when I make another batch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Adults over the age of 18. Also, the numbers are slightly off; it's 30% don't drink, 30% drink less than 1 drink a week, 20% drink less than once a day, 10% drink approximately twice a day, and the final 10% averages 74 drinks per week or more than 10 drinks per day.

i wonder how this break up by region. im east coast and i struggle to think of anyone 18-40 who drinks LESS than like 4 drinks a weekend.

that upper 10% really making bank for the alcohol companies. i drink excessively and still probably only ~20 drinks worth of alcohol a week.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
since i have no lime, tonight's coctail is not the delicious cosmopolitan

it is instead a trashy vodka cran

remember that ice will throw off your ratios, and you don't want to overfill your glass (having extra is never frowned upon though!)

whatever size you want, 1/2 a glass of cranberry juice, 1/4 of vodka, 1/4 of triplesec. makes for a sweet drink that you can pound and discover you have made yourself drunk without realizing it. then the next 3 drinks continue to hit you as you slouch into the couch and mainline tweet refreshes. cranberry juice is cheep and takes the edge off.

for those of you curious, thinking this sounds a lot like a cosmo. a proper cosmo is made out of the far better cointreau instead of triplesec, with lime juice, and has a much smaller amount of cranberry.

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i'm drinking franzia boxed wine

i wish you best with your hangover tomorrow

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Epic High Five posted:

PBR is also union made in America

Don't drink loving Younglings or whatever, they're doomed once Order 66 goes out

PBR won a blue ribbon st the Chicago worlds fair. If it was good enough back then it's obviously even better now.

unfortunately yungling is even better, both in the maga classic america sense and in the more important actual taste sense

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
yuengling, drat that's a younger twister.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Epic High Five posted:

What about the taste:price ratio huh

Also how is Hamm's? That's the only thing cheaper than PBR that isn't Natty Ice around here

yuengling is better than pbr for the same price. that might actually be local shipping costs though, depends if you don't live on the east coast.

Never tried hamms, but it being as cheep as natty gives me an idea as to what to expect

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
steeling this link

http://www.marthastewart.com/917636/egg-nog-family-recipe

that's a good eggnog

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
tonight i'm drinking jameson and ginger

not really a cocktail, i just can't drink straight jameson because i have to wake up early

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

2DCAT posted:

I'm drinking white ladies tonight.
2oz of jensens old tom gin
1/2oz cointreau or pierre ferrand dry curacao (the pierre ferrand is better for this drink imo, but i'm out)
1/2oz lemon juice
1 x egg white using dry shaking

oh nice i gotta try that tomorrow, don't have pierre ferrand either but cointreau will work

putting egg in anything but nog sounds weird but good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Baloogan posted:

*stumbles to the bar*

What'll it be ducky

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
yeah i definitely prefer it to jack. although I puked to many times as a youth thanks to jack so that might be 50% of it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

so its a heat wave here so i cant go with someting heavy.

tonights coctail is the haleys comet (obviously spelled differently than the astronomical sort)

1.5 oz gin (i go with hendricks)
1/4 oz st. germain
1/4 of grapefruit (best) or OJ (backup)

shake over ice, pour into glass

top with ginger beer, i aim for about 4oz (third of a can) for these ratios.

its a really light and tasty summer drink, i make it in 2 gallon gatorade coolers for beach days with slightly higher fractions of juice and ginger so you dont die.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh weird I always thought a haleys was a French 75 (gin, lemon juice, simple, and champagne) with st germain
also, my new roommate is a nola-bred bartender and our dish soap dispenser is a repurposed st Germain bottle :3:

there are so many different names for things these days that we can both be right

Vox Nihili posted:

How is the Gosling's ginger beer? I'm a big fan of Bundaberg myself.

i think its good. although its hard to compare since its the easiest to get up here. i'll keep an eye open for bundaberg and do a side by side if i get a chance

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Aliquid posted:

*takes zinc and potassium tablets*

its a holiday weekend. all the food you *should* be eating has plenty of anti-hangover ingredients.

but good choice

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
where im spending the summer working bars are closed on sundays, "forcing" me to drink wine at home alone

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
if youre embracing what you have newly gained: bud light

if youre drinking to mourn what youve lost: mimosas

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
ive got elysian space dust ipa in the fridge right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
what is that creamy and delicious looking base for your trash can?

• Locked thread