Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DRINK BOURBON YOU FUCKS IF YOU DON'T YOU HATE AMERICA DON'T IMPORT YOUR poo poo CREATE JOBS FOR AMERICANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

rye whiskey is more american than bourbon; noted patriot george washington distilled it on his property

He also kept slaves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Adults over the age of 18. Also, the numbers are slightly off; it's 30% don't drink, 30% drink less than 1 drink a week, 20% drink less than once a day, 10% drink approximately twice a day, and the final 10% averages 74 drinks per week or more than 10 drinks per day.

74 drinks per week holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Poco posted:

seconding PBR as a cheap but drinkable beer. If you need something a little sweeter, Miller High Life is a crisp beer that I pretty much only drink during the summer and it's not bad, even if it is terribly sweet.

Edit: I spent my early 20s living in a Minnesota/Wisconsin border town and I moved to Arkansas last year and the fact there are people here who don't drink "just because" is weird as gently caress.

PBR is also union made in America

Don't drink loving Younglings or whatever, they're doomed once Order 66 goes out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

PBR won a blue ribbon st the Chicago worlds fair. If it was good enough back then it's obviously even better now.

unfortunately yungling is even better, both in the maga classic america sense and in the more important actual taste sense

What about the taste:price ratio huh

Also how is Hamm's? That's the only thing cheaper than PBR that isn't Natty Ice around here

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BN3921owBQ

M_Gargantua posted:

yuengling is better than pbr for the same price. that might actually be local shipping costs though, depends if you don't live on the east coast.

Never tried hamms, but it being as cheep as natty gives me an idea as to what to expect

I live in Indiana and it's a bit pricier than PBR here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWZiDodnEY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Danger juice, I love it and it's CSPAM as gently caress because it's basically sweetened hard liquor under a coating of fluffy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

tonight i'm drinking jameson and ginger

not really a cocktail, i just can't drink straight jameson because i have to wake up early

ginger ale is like the best mixer

I just wrapped up a massively successful videoconference for a boatload full of mega VIPs and thus within my first 2 months of the job have glowing praise in group email form from 2/3 of the people who run my school

So I'm going out and getting some champange haha

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aliquid posted:

i don't buy handles because i overdo it

but lol today the fifth of evan williams was $12 and the handle was $16

*takes zinc and potassium tablets*

EW is such a generous patron

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

got any sevens posted:

i've never had an alcoholic drink with meat in it, that sounds weirdly terrifying

2 cups vodka
2 cups whole or 2% milk (non-UHT pasteurized for best results*)
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 (or more) of lemon or other citrus, juice and rind**

Mix everything together in a clean glass container with a tight-sealing lid. Shake vigorously and store in a cool, dark place for 10 days. Give the container a few shakes every day.

After 10 days, the liqueur is ready. Strain through a double-layer of cheese cloth or a coffee filter to catch the milk solids and clarify the liqueur. More rounds of straining will result in a cleaner, clearer liqueur.

Transfer to a clean container and store for up to several months.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jack Daniels is awful

For half the price you can get a bottle of Evan Williams white label which is massively superior

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

gently caress.
You.
Im.
Alive.
:colbert:

Tough talk from someone who can't prove to me they're not an artificial intelligence

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Last bottle of bourbon I got was Old Grand Dad and it was p good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (like old rittenhouse) is loving great

That's the one I get! I always get BiB if it is available. OGD is worth the slight markup

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Have you tried 114? It's excellent, and not nearly as overpowering as you'd fear.

Possibly, I'm thinking of getting myself a nice bottle of bourbon to kill this weekend after a 70 hour event week and I'm still not sure what. What's the best within the $50 or so price range?

That, or maybe a nice bottle of brandy, a spirit which I know almost nothing about

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Price for most Bourbon is under $50, it's availability of the good bourbons that is an issue. Id guess of the sub $50 that you might still be able to find, Elmer T Lee would be a good bet.

I live like an hour and a half from the bourbon trail so I can actually get my hands on most stuff that isn't designed to be extremely limited availability for NYC bourbon bars

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Four Roses Single Barrel or Old Forrester 1920 prohibition style are great and in that price range

Edit: actually you may also be able to get Russells Reserve Single Barrel for around that price too

Pretty much all of these are available here, I'll go with the Old Forrester I think

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not sold on expensive bourbons being necessarily worth the cost, but it's my favorite genre of spirits and I've never gone pricier than $25 in my life, so why not ya know?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also I think Scotch is a massively overpriced ripoff

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Japanese stuff is the worst now in terms of value. Scotch can have ok value around 10-12 years of age if you know what you want, the price balloons massively after that.

Bourbon and rye are ridiculously competitive in terms of price, but the really good stuff is extremely hard to find and occasionally priced through the roof.

If you like rye, Pikesville is a pretty good choice. In terms of bourbon, the best consistent value in the higher-end range is probably Russell's Reserve. If you can find Booker's for $50 or less it's pretty decent, too, but the age goes down and the price goes up every year now. Can't go wrong with Evan Williams Single Barrel, of course, but that's not "expensive enough" to be high-end I guess.

Russel's Reserve 10 year it is then

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

if you're spending 50 dollars on a single bottle, how much do you spend on scratch offs and do you still have left over for a gallon of milk for your kids

I just got a huge raise in a new position that I just worked a bunch of overtime for during an event week and I don't have any kids so :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

get two fifths of wild turkey 101 for less than 50 or go to sams you don't need a membership to buy tobacco or liquor, they'll have 1.75s on sale

edit: next you're gonna tell me how you play golf too like trump

golf is a plague

I'm getting a $50 bottle of bourbon before going back to EW white label as my day to day and YOU CAN'T STOP ME

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's crazy how many normies are basically teetotallers

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats, dude.

Thanx

24 hours of overtime but my team and I crushed it for an event that is under enormous executive scrutiny

Now I am off to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert at an outdoor amphitheater and then guzzle celebratory bourbon all weekend

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gotta say, I'm not nearly as big a fan of Wild Turkey 101 as I am Evan Williams BiB

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

What the gently caress is up with Moldova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've been feeling more exotic lately and was considering getting some soju but uh

1) hard to find here

2) am I reading it wrong or could I just create my own by buying flavored vodka and watering it down 1:1? Seems like it's all made from NGS now

• Locked thread