Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thoguh posted:

Are they counting kids or something in that half that don't drink at all? Because that seems really low.

Adults over the age of 18. Also, the numbers are slightly off; it's 30% don't drink, 30% drink less than 1 drink a week, 20% drink less than once a day, 10% drink approximately twice a day, and the final 10% averages 74 drinks per week or more than 10 drinks per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

i wonder how this break up by region. im east coast and i struggle to think of anyone 18-40 who drinks LESS than like 4 drinks a weekend.

that upper 10% really making bank for the alcohol companies. i drink excessively and still probably only ~20 drinks worth of alcohol a week.

Back when I worked at a liquor store, I estimate that 5% of our customer base bought 90% of our product, by volume. And that's excluding bootleggers.

Once you've watched a man break down a pallet of Natty Light and reconfigure it to fit in the bed of a pickup truck in less than ten minutes, you've seen America.

Old Kentucky Shark has issued a correction as of 02:51 on May 18, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

74 drinks per week holy poo poo

If I remember right somebody looked into the numbers on that study and they were actually super-terrifying if you broke it down into smaller and smaller divisions: like, the last 5% was drinking the equivalent of a fifth of bourbon daily, and 1% of Americans essentially just drink non-stop the entire time that they're conscious every day.

Or as I like to call him, Uncle Kurt.

• Locked thread