Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FWWM is supposed to take place in the days leading up to Laura's death, but there are several things in the movie and The Missing Pieces that make that timeline very unclear, like Annie saying "My name is Annie. I've been with Dale and Laura. The good Dale is in the lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stato-Masochist posted:

I'm Robert Loggia, and you're the tailgater
You've bested me this time, Mr. Loggia. I'll include Lost Highway in the next edition of The Proper Twin Peaks Viewing Order.

bobkatt013 posted:

And since they are the best characters
They're such goofballs and its great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

FWWM is supposed to take place in the days leading up to Laura's death, but there are several things in the movie and The Missing Pieces that make that timeline very unclear, like Annie saying "My name is Annie. I've been with Dale and Laura. The good Dale is in the lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

But there is poo poo already in that in the show Dale and Laura sharing the same dream and happening weeks apart

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

They're such goofballs and its great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

I know it's not part of your recommendation, but I also recommend actually watching Twin Peaks, and watching episodes of Dumbland instead of James' side plot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

But there is poo poo already in that in the show Dale and Laura sharing the same dream and happening weeks apart
There's also Philip Jeffries disappearing in and out of time after investigating "Judy".

quote:

In an early draft (dated July 3rd, 1991) Phillip Jeffries first appears in a Buenos Aires hotel where the head clerk hands him a note from a "young lady." Soon after, Jeffries appears in Cole's office in Philadelphia where he tells the assembled agents he's "not gonna talk about Judy." Jeffries says, "I want to tell you everything, but I don't have a lot to go on. But I'll tell you one thing: Judy is positive about this." Then Jeffries drops a fascinating detail: "Her sister's there, too. At least part of her."

This early draft of the script provides strong evidence that Judy was a living person whose note to Jeffries compelled him to go to Philadelphia to tell Cole, "everything." (After all, "Judy is positive about this.") This script also introduces a second mysterious person to identify – Judy's sister. It is possible that this sister may be Josie Packard who "died" in the TV series but whose spirit seemed to live on in the walls (and drawers) of the Great Northern hotel. Robert Engels attempted to clarify some of these early draft mysteries in an interview that appeared in Wrapped In Plastic 58: "The thing behind Judy has to do with where David Bowie [Phillip Jeffries] came from …. He was down there [Buenos Aires], and that's where Judy is. I think Joan Chen [Josie] is there, and I think Windom Earle is there. It's this idea that there are these portals around the world, and Phillip Jeffries had one hell of a trip to Buenos Aires and back! He really doesn't want to talk about Judy because that reminds him of whatever happened to him." When asked if Josie, therefore, could be Judy's sister, Engels replied, "Yes. Yes, I think that is true."

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

There's also Philip Jeffries disappearing in and out of time after investigating "Judy".

Well now, I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stato-Masochist posted:

Well now, I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And to quote David Lynch himself when he gave a surprise Q&A at a Television Critics Association event:

quote:

Q: Are the events in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me important to the revival?

David Lynch: I can say it’s the story of Laura Palmer’s last seven days, it’s very much important for this.
So mining FWWM/The Missing Pieces for clues to how Season 3 will play out might not be such a bad idea.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Heavy Metal posted:

Very true, and I love that Balthazar Getty is on the new Twin Peaks cast list too. Plus Naomi Watts and whatnot of course, it's gonna be a David Lynch party.

This really excites me because pretty much every actor (excepting Michael J Anderson, presently) who's ever bothered to comment has said that working for Lynch is an inspiring dream, so at the very least we're going to get some dedicated performances, presumably no matter how small the role

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raxivace posted:

I always figured the Red Room and the Black Lodge are one in the same, but I'm not entirely convinced the White Lodge was ever directly depicted in the show.

Maybe the final shots of FWWM with Laura and Cooper are brief glimpses of them entering the White Lodge, but frankly that raises way more questions than it answers.

I've always interpreted them as being different perspectives on the same place, mainly because of the end of FWWM. It definitely looks the same as the black lodge.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 17, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the last episode Man from Another Place tells Cooper "this is the waiting room", so I always took the Red Room as not being either lodge, or being the space in between them both.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

And to quote David Lynch himself when he gave a surprise Q&A at a Television Critics Association event:

So mining FWWM/The Missing Pieces for clues to how Season 3 will play out might not be such a bad idea.

I assume the ring's going to be important.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I assume the ring's going to be important.

It pops up at various times throughout the Secret History, as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where exactly is the last known location of the ring? Is it the nurse taking it in Missing Pieces?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This needs to be in the OP at least once and maybe even twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M7f6dk3Bg

also worth posting in the new thread

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 17, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Actually it is a bad idea, because approaching a TV show like it's a school project that you need to research is a loving terrible way to exist, as a human.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I plan on watching FWWM this week before the revival kicks off.

I have seen all of the original series including James terrible scenes. I never bothered asking my wife to watch because the soap opera parts of the show are so very dated and there are a lot of things a little modernizing could help make the show a bit easier for her to digest.

So my question is this: do you think I should ask her to watch FWWM with me? I've heard it's more horror than soap opera which would probably go over ok.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

sector_corrector posted:

Actually it is a bad idea, because approaching a TV show like it's a school project that you need to research is a loving terrible way to exist, as a human.

I'm comfortable with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheBizzness posted:

FWWM with me

FWWMWM.

Well, I thought it was kind of funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EmmyOk posted:

This needs to be in the OP at least once and maybe even twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M7f6dk3Bg

also worth posting in the new thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RIxmB4MIoA

Added! Along with the video of Angelo erotically explaining how he and David Lynch hosed which resulted in the creation of Laura's Theme.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also, if you're on Facebook and you're a fan of the show, join the Twin Peaks LogPosting™ group for the love of god. It's given me so much entertainment in the week or so that I've been a member. So many of their posts are obscure though and will only make sense if you're caught up on everything TP related.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I"m really hoping Cera gets to play the Man from Another Place.

Lets rock!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Also, if you're on Facebook and you're a fan of the show, join the Twin Peaks LogPosting™ group for the love of god. It's given me so much entertainment in the week or so that I've been a member. So many of their posts are obscure though and will only make sense if you're caught up on everything TP related.

That page is drat good :allears:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I legit signed on to logposting last month, got overloaded on memes and macros in a week, and then shut off notifications.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SaviourX posted:

I legit signed on to logposting last month, got overloaded on memes and macros in a week, and then shut off notifications.
It's basically flooded my news feed for the last week but it's way more entertaining than what most of my friends post :haw:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lynch is gonna throw a curveball and have Michael Cera play the Tremond/Chalfont boy

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
watch FWWM and immediately afterwards, the pilot episode for a good primer.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know why everyone is suddenly feeling the need to spoiler-tag a 26 year old show and 25 year old movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know why everyone is suddenly feeling the need to spoiler-tag a 26 year old show and 25 year old movie.
There are people watching both for the first time now with the new season coming out and being advertised.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Raxivace posted:

There are people watching both for the first time now with the new season coming out and being advertised.
Yeah, I'll probably stop spoilering the original run after Sunday, but I'm sure there are people who have never seen the show before who are specifically watching it because there's a new season coming out.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The second time I watched season 2, I did one episode a week. So basically I had two months where it was almost impossible to feel enthusiastic about watching the next episode. I hope this new season is good!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, Dan Briggs from Between The Buried And Me did a really surreal, awesome version of the theme

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I hope people are able to learn to love whatever it is we get if David decided to go in some super inaccessible unexpected direction with it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Personally I hope Lynch does go super inaccessible. I want FWWM on ketamine.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Raxivace posted:

OK sure, but I haven't watched any of the Leftovers yet. And when I do start it, I'm not going to immediately jump into the season 3 thread and expect to not be spoiled.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

OK sure, but I haven't watched any of the Leftovers yet. And when I do start it, I'm not going to immediately jump into the season 3 thread and expect to not be spoiled.

Most third seasons aren't 26 years after the second, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gaspy Conana posted:

I hope people are able to learn to love whatever it is we get if David decided to go in some super inaccessible unexpected direction with it.
The head of Showtime said this season is "the pure heroin version of David Lynch", and apparently there's no network interference this time like there was last time, so yeah, it's probably gonna be unbelievably weird.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Gaspy Conana posted:

I fully expect a ton of people who aren't familiar with David Lynch's other stuff to be super pissed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

The head of Showtime said this season is "the pure heroin version of David Lynch", and apparently there's no network interference this time like there was last time, so yeah, it's probably gonna be unbelievably weird.

Here's hoping it's like FWWM meets Lost Highway.