Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So what's the official word on the airing schedule? I had initially heard episode 1 on the 21st obviously, with the following 2 episodes released on Showtime streaming immediately after. But now I'm reading that episode 2 and 3 will be the week after? Anyone know for sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm religiously following Fargo and American Gods already, I don't even know where I'm gonna fit this in.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Cromulent posted:

So what's the official word on the airing schedule? I had initially heard episode 1 on the 21st obviously, with the following 2 episodes released on Showtime streaming immediately after. But now I'm reading that episode 2 and 3 will be the week after? Anyone know for sure?

I heard episodes 1 & 2 on 21st, 3 & 4 on 28th, and 1 episode a week after.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard episodes 1 & 2 on 21st, 3 & 4 on 28th, and 1 episode a week after.
That's what I've heard as well!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Apparently it's the two hour premiere and then the next two episodes are available online immediately after.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place) has apparently gone completely off the deep end and is trashing TP and Lynch on social media. His Facebook is full of pro-Trump stuff and its unfortunate that he won't be a part of the show.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

notthegoatseguy posted:

So Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place) has apparently gone completely off the deep end and is trashing TP and Lynch on social media. His Facebook is full of pro-Trump stuff and its unfortunate that he won't be a part of the show.

Sounds like it was a wise decision to not let him be part of the third season, then. I think it's extremely fotunate.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Here's hoping it's like FWWM meets Lost Highway.

FWWM meets Twin Peaks would be more up my alley, to be honest. I'd also dig Mulholland Drive meets Wild at Heart, if that's an option. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 18, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Last year he was accusing Lynch of raping his own daughter and murdering Jack Nance...

http://www.alternativenation.net/michael-j-anderson-accuses-twin-peaks-filmmaker-david-lynch-of-being-a-pedophile-rapist-murderer/

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

And More posted:

Sounds like it was a wise decision to not let him be part of the third season, then. I think it's extremely fotunate.

I mean yeah if he's a piece of poo poo he shouldn't be there. But he is part of my favorite Lynch film (MD) and he brings something unique to the scenes he's in in TP. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the lodge without him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe if he'd gotten more mill scenes this could have avoided ...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well good thing he and Mike are one and the same and Mike is coming back for the new season then :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*Michael J Anderson smashes his head on a mirror* HOW'S LYNCHEY? HAHAHA... HOW'S LYNCHEY?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJacobs posted:

*Michael J Anderson smashes his head on a mirror* HOW'S LYNCHEY? HAHAHA... HOW'S LYNCHEY?
I stopped appearing in David Lynch movies and became a giant dick. It struck me as funny, CJacobs. Do you understand me, CJacobs? It struck me as funny!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd watched up to season 2 episode 1 long ago, just started catching up, now up to episode 4 and I'll never finish it in time for the start of season 3. Gotta say Albert's a real highlight so far.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaspy Conana posted:

I hope people are able to learn to love whatever it is we get if David decided to go in some super inaccessible unexpected direction with it.

Have you ever read a thread in this forum before?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, gently caress the haters, Ben Horne getting over his psychosis by having the South win the Civil War is such a perfect dick move. I love it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I stopped appearing in David Lynch movies and became a giant dick. It struck me as funny, CJacobs. Do you understand me, CJacobs? It struck me as funny!

Michael J Anderson: TRUMP, YOU REMIND ME TODAY OF A SMALL GREEN FROG WEARING A RED HAT.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LesterGroans posted:

Man, gently caress the haters, Ben Horne getting over his psychosis by having the South win the Civil War is such a perfect dick move. I love it.

I'm a fan of the Civil War plot AND Nadine and Mike.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

For a sec, I thought "Well Kimmy Robertson is a political nutjob and she was able to put things aside for the reboot." Then I googled and realized I was mixing up Kimmy Robertson and Victoria Jackson. Sorry, Kimmy.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What are your thoughts on Ben Horne in a tracksuit chomping a carrot?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

maybe I was just smoking a lot of weed at the time but i always found the Nadine and Ben Horne s2 side plots to be pretty funny tbh. like the only season 2 poo poo that bugs me is Josie and James

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, just skipping the Josie and James stuff (and a bit of Catherine), I've been surprisingly enjoying my rewatch.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think people react badly to season 2 not because it's "bad television," but rather because it's so different than what came before. It's really like a completely different show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cromulent posted:

What are your thoughts on Ben Horne in a tracksuit chomping a carrot?

It's excellent. Not a fan of John Justice Wheeler, but I like the stupid Pine Weasel nonsense.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Polo-Rican posted:

I think people react badly to season 2 not because it's "bad television," but rather because it's so different than what came before. It's really like a completely different show.

Yeah it gets a different flavor of weird, and basically toes the line of complete farce at times. The Civil War bit is so loving amazing as a spectacle, every single actor in that scene is having a delight, but it's hard to imagine that's a part of the same show from the first season.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Same.

It's the Billy Zane poo poo and the Packard Sawmill "intrigue" I don't much care for in season two.

Plus, it goes without saying, James. But they at least had the sense to ship him off before the end.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm mostly unfamiliar with Lynch; I've only seen TP, FWWM, and Dune.

FWWM and Dune were like fever dreams that I could barely comprehend so I definitely hope that this new season of the show remains as accessible as most of the original run was. :ohdear:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

LesterGroans posted:

Same.

It's the Billy Zane poo poo and the Packard Sawmill "intrigue" I don't much care for in season two.

Plus, it goes without saying, James. But they at least had the sense to ship him off before the end.

The side story with James in S2 is clearly the low point of the series for me, but generally speaking I like James as a character and think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good. Holy poo poo, you are right about Billy Zane though. I didn't remember just how awful he was until watching again this time around.

Deakul posted:

FWWM and Dune were like fever dreams that I could barely comprehend so I definitely hope that this new season of the show remains as accessible as most of the original run was. :ohdear:

I think it will be more of a reach than the original series, but Mark Frost co-wrote the whole of the new series with Lynch. I suspect that he'll keep things grounded somewhat and be a good counterbalance to Lynch's more extreme tendencies. David Lynch is my favorite filmmaker, so I'd probably be happy with just about anything he did here, but I think the show really would be missing something without Frost's influence.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The side story with James in S2 is clearly the low point of the series for me, but generally speaking I like James as a character and think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good. Holy poo poo, you are right about Billy Zane though. I didn't remember just how awful he was until watching again this time around.

Weirdly, I like James Marshall too and I'm glad he's in the new series, but I'm way less forgiving of his character. I find him pretty useless once he's basically ruled out as a suspect (give or take a throwback hit recorded in a living room).

I kinda feel the same about Zane. I like him in other stuff but he has absolutely nothing to work with in Twin Peaks. He's just there as a temporary distraction to keep Audrey from Cooper, I guess. At least they let her do something cool in the finale.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good.

:stare:

Which scene did you like better, the one where he has an "incredibly constipated" look or where he has a blank look, like he doesn't know how to react to other characters' dialogue?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

James is written as a dopey idiot that even Laura makes fun of. The performance matches that just fine.

Of course whether the character should have been written that way in the first place is another question.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Deakul posted:

I highly recommend checking out his other movies like Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

My favourite thing in Twin Peaks is the weird, psychic waves that happen when poo poo is going down. The tremors people get in the last few episodes leading up to the finale. Mostly the wave of sorrow that washes over Donna, Bobby and Cooper when Maddy is being killed. I liked that, it's a cool way of showing how connected the town is with all their poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, had Ben Horne been a little later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said, "There's no reason for this."

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I love the James S2 plot exactly because it's so incredibly bizarre and melodramatic and stupid. It's obviously supposed to be a parody of soap operas just like Invitation to Love but te fact that they forgot to actually make it a parody and just made it a straight soap opera plot, and one that is completely unconnected to anything else in the series, is just really amusing to me.

LesterGroans posted:

My favourite thing in Twin Peaks is the weird, psychic waves that happen when poo poo is going down. The tremors people get in the last few episodes leading up to the finale. Mostly the wave of sorrow that washes over Donna, Bobby and Cooper when Maddy is being killed. I liked that, it's a cool way of showing how connected the town is with all their poo poo.

This is maybe my favorite scene in the entire show. There's just something so visceral and uncomfortable about it, especially as it strikes Cooper after he thinks that he's gotten the murderer and realizes that he's failed to stop it from happening again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I highly recommend checking out his other movies like Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, had Ben Horne been a little later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said, "There's no reason for this."

Chairman Capone posted:

This is maybe my favorite scene in the entire show. There's just something so visceral and uncomfortable about it, especially as it strikes Cooper after he thinks that he's gotten the murderer and realizes that he's failed to stop it from happening again.

Yeah, it's almost definitely my favourite moment in the series. Ignoring the straight-up horror of the actual murder there's Donna breaking down into tears, Bobby looking around helplessly and Cooper being comforted by the old man. It's such an odd way of making the character feel the same thing the audience is feeling.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.
The only one that is actually hard to watch IMO is Inland Empire. All of the others are more clearly grounded in some kind of narrative and characters- even Eraserhead, mostly.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Deakul posted:

If you're willing to actually watch and think about what you're watching all his films but Inland Empire will make sense on first viewing. It helps that you've already seen some of his work and you're familiar with his style and the way he likes to use certain kinds of imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Carlton cinema in Toronto's hosting a (near) midnight screening of FWWM on Saturday to celebrate the show's return. I've never actually seen the movie, so I think I'll go watch it then.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 19, 2017