Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The "Just You & I" scene is brilliant and anybody who doesn't love it is a dum dum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

el oso posted:

The "Just You & I" scene is brilliant and anybody who doesn't love it is a dum dum.
It's loving hilariously stupid, if that's what you mean!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just finished rewatching the show like a month ago and I've already forgotten who Billy Zane's character was. I have no idea who that dude is or what his deal was other than he randomly inserted himself into scenes at the hotel.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Never seen the original series (I've seen maybe up to episode 3, liked it but just always got distracted), gonna have to do a lotta binge-watching to catch up in a reasonable amount of time.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's loving hilariously stupid, if that's what you mean!

You don't get cinema.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looking back, I didn't mind the Civil War stuff. It was just the ending that soured me about the whole thing, that Ben somehow instantly recovered.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.

Definitely give Blue Velvet a watch! It's been mentioned already, but it has a lot of the magic that Twin Peaks has. Very dark and very Lynch, but I think accessible, the least "out there" of the other movies mentioned. Plus that Kyle MacLachlan charm and curiosity etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 19, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.

Outside of a couple of amazing pieces, Blue Velvet isn't very surreal and also it kind of works as a Cooper origin story. Dennis Hopper is completely nuts here and it's fantastic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Most accessible Lynch movie has got to be The Straight Story.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Most accessible Lynch movie has got to be The Straight Story.

Most underrated, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Straight Story is like the perfect encapsulation of all of the good in the world. It's a sweet little road trip movie, but on a tractor.

So of course it would be sandwiched in between Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway on one end, and Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire on the other.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I literally just finished watching Blue Velvet for the first time. Honestly it didn't feel very Lynchian outside of a couple characters, like

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Dennis Hopper is completely nuts here and it's fantastic
and lines like "You put your disease in me."

It's definitely more accessible than any other Lynch stuff I've seen, but it also doesn't exactly feel indicative of his style as a whole either, so I don't know that I'd tell anybody to watch it as an introduction to Lynch.

I'll have to watch The Straight Story at some point. Honestly, seeing the G rating and "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" makes me very curious as to how the hell he got involved with that because those are two things I would never associate with Lynch :stare:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neither is Dune and that's a thing that happened. For better or worse.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My Lovely Horse posted:

Neither is Dune and that's a thing that happened. For better or worse.

Definitely for better. I don't think it's a good film in any sense, but I enjoy watching it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I literally just finished watching Blue Velvet for the first time. Honestly it didn't feel very Lynchian outside of a couple characters, like
and lines like "You put your disease in me."

It's definitely more accessible than any other Lynch stuff I've seen, but it also doesn't exactly feel indicative of his style as a whole either, so I don't know that I'd tell anybody to watch it as an introduction to Lynch.

I'll have to watch The Straight Story at some point. Honestly, seeing the G rating and "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" makes me very curious as to how the hell he got involved with that because those are two things I would never associate with Lynch :stare:

THE STRAIGHT STORY is so good. It's just a nice little character study. Also, a lot of people in here neglected to mention THE ELEPHANT MAN, which isn't really indicative of Lynch either but is a fantastic movie.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DrVenkman posted:

THE STRAIGHT STORY is so good. It's just a nice little character study. Also, a lot of people in here neglected to mention THE ELEPHANT MAN, which isn't really indicative of Lynch either but is a fantastic movie.

Apparently, half of Lynch's filmography is not actually in his style.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I just finished Fire Walk With Me and....holy poo poo. :stare: :psypop: I completely forgot what Lynch is capable of when he does his thing without network TV holding him down. A complete assault on the senses at times and it just completely turns what makes Twin Peaks charming right on its head. That was legitimately an unsettling movie and pretty drat scary at points. A specific scene that made me accidentally kick my desk from jumping so hard was when Bob appears in Laura's room, causing her to run out in terror. Holy hell. drat fine movie overall.

I hope the new series does more of this kind of subject matter, though it should also still definitely keep a good handful of quirky funny bits.

e: Also, what the gently caress is up with that spooky rear end meth starved Voldemort face at the very end?

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 19, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, FWWM is definitely a David Lynch film and not a David Lynch/Mark Frost production on ABC. My girlfriend didn't like it (no Lynch film compares to Blue Velvet for her) but I really liked it. It is a deeply unsettling film that, when taken into context, shows just how hosed up Laura's life was and that she was essentially doomed from the start. Twin Peaks shows a fairly normal town starting to unravel, but FWWM shows that the town has always had a very dark underbelly to it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm up to season 2 episode 10 and that was a pretty steep dip in quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just got to the end of season one.

:ohdear:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chev posted:

Strap in for the next half dozen, they're the worst episodes (still worth watching though). Also it recovers afterward.

I finished my rewatch yesterday, but still have a good chunk of the book (which was sitting around collecting dust until I realized the show is back on Monday and felt some urgency to pick it up). I also need to do a FWWM rewatch so I'll probably do that this weekend.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Zeratanis posted:

e: Also, what the gently caress is up with that spooky rear end meth starved Voldemort face at the very end?

Did you mean this from right before Leland/BOB goes into the lodge? That's Leland. It's just a visual effect of the lodge influencing someone. Laura looks like that earlier in the film when yelling at Harold & Windom Earle shows up like that in one of the later episodes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

Did you mean this from right before Leland/BOB goes into the lodge? That's Leland. It's just a visual effect of the lodge influencing someone. Laura looks like that earlier in the film when yelling at Harold & Windom Earle shows up like that in one of the later episodes

Nah, we means when TMfAP eats the Garmonbozia at the end at his face becomes this freaky shadowed chimp face.

Also, I have no idea but between Lynch pulling a similar trick in Inland Empire and Lost Highway I'm guessing there is some intended thematic meaning :confused:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
TWO DAYS MOTHERFUCKERS

Seriously my first novel comes out next month and I hardly give a poo poo, I'm so stoked for this. Ten years of gently caress-all from Lynch and now we get 18 hours of him, I can hardly believe it

Of course the flip side to that is, it's been ten years and maybe he wants to do something other than scare the living poo poo out of me now. I'm along for the ride either way, but I would be a little bummed if the series is about Cooper teaching transcendental meditation to everyone in the Black Lodge and them opening a community center or something

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1bbjXCfyY

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chev posted:

Get used to it until the end. I never really tell people to skip anything, but if there's one show that really deserves it then it's that middle stretch of episodes. I don't remember exactly when Lynch gets involved again, but I think it's only over the last 3 or 4, almost everything before that is...bad

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Watching this for the first time and just got passed episode 15 of season 2. I was hopeful when I saw Albert, but bleh. Onward and upward from here!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mallratcal posted:

Watching this for the first time and just got passed episode 15 of season 2. I was hopeful when I saw Albert, but bleh. Onward and upward from here!

It's not even that the show loses its way a little bit. It just doesn't know what to do at all. It's a bunch of people in a writer's room saying "Well ok Lynch is weird, let's be weird as well" without any rhyme or reason to it and it's why you get crazy Asian caricatures or breakdancing or....sigh....James.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

It's not even that the show loses its way a little bit. It just doesn't know what to do at all. It's a bunch of people in a writer's room saying "Well ok Lynch is weird, let's be weird as well" without any rhyme or reason to it and it's why you get crazy Asian caricatures or breakdancing or....sigh....James.

I agree with that. The Ben/Civil War and James stuff just felt like a waste of time. In James' case it was because it was so predictable it was uninteresting.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

First of all, Blue Velvet is considered quintessential Lynch because of its subjects of coexisting innocence and darkness, Americana, sincerity bordering on camp, offbeat, absurd humor, and Freudian sex and violence. Lynch's exploration with narrative structure has only been going on since the second half of his career (and I usually cite FWWM as the turning point.)

The exception to that, is of course The Straight Story. Lynch got involved in that because his then girlfriend and editor, Mary Sweeney, wrote the script. Lynch initially had no interest in the project when she was describing it to him, but he read the script and immediately decided it should be his next film. This was an incredibly savvy career move, because at the time his reputation was in the trash after the unfair critical reception of FWWM and Lost Highway. They needed something more traditional before they would allow him to be taken seriously again when Mulholland Drive came out.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

multijoe posted:

Nah, we means when TMfAP eats the Garmonbozia at the end at his face becomes this freaky shadowed chimp face.

Also, I have no idea but between Lynch pulling a similar trick in Inland Empire and Lost Highway I'm guessing there is some intended thematic meaning :confused:

I don't think the monkey is supposed to be TMFAP transforming or anything.

Honestly, the monkey has confused me for the last 25 years. The best I can come up with is that the monkey is Phillip Jeffries in whatever form he's using to attend the Black Lodge meeting above the convenience store. Like how Bob can maybe take the form of an owl in the "real" world, Jeffries took the form of the monkey in the Black Lodge world? The only other time you ever see a monkey, it's in the scene where Jeffries is saying he's been to one of their meetings, and you see the monkey's face peering from behind a white mask. And then, of course, the monkey says "Judy."

Who fuckin knows?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

if you think Blue Velvet isn't 'lynchian' then you don't know what that term means at all

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like movie Donna better. There, I said it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

business hammocks posted:

I like movie Donna better. There, I said it.

Same. TV Donna is a terrible wooden actress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

if you think Blue Velvet isn't 'lynchian' then you don't know what that term means at all
What I meant was it didn't come close to having that cerebral mindfuck feel of just about everything else I've seen of Lynch's, outside of Dennis Hopper's character with the oxygen mask and the wild poo poo that comes out of his mouth.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 19, 2017

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_q7rZJljKY

Meanwhile... :aaaaa:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TV Donna and Movie Donna are essentially different characters but I feel like they both fit in the kind of faux-50's postmodern genre blob that is this series.

Like movie Donna is essentially a secondary love interest from any old Hollywood of the 40's and 50's (She wouldn't be out of place in something like It's a Wonderful Life), and equally as naieve as a lot of those characters are. She just happens to waltz into a Blue Velvet-esque movie with its drugs and orgies and is completely out of place.

TV Donna, on the other hand, is essentially the teenaged version of a Hitchcock blonde (Despite not having the hair to match) but because she's a dorky teenager she can't make it work and is frustrated and angry and jealous of others as a result. The guy she's trying to lead around isn't some suave Cary Grant type either, but an unsexy version of James Dean's character from Rebel Without a Cause.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2017

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I'm going to have this song stuck in my head all weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IZS2QddAY

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Vastarien posted:

I'm going to have this song stuck in my head all weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IZS2QddAY

I think you meant this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihP3fpLtpcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh rad, PS4 has a Showtime App I can get and since I'm a PS+ member I get a small discount (two bucks off). Not bad!