Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/laura-dern-david-lynch-up-to-something/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Just binged the entire series with my gf (her first time, my nth time except for S3 which was my second time). Picked up a lot more on this watch of season 3 but still so many questions. The Laura as garmonbozia bomb theory rings pretty true to me but there's still a ton of other stuff. Why is Cooper's face overlaid on screen in e17, saying "we live in a dream"? Is the entirety of TP s1-2 and most of 3 just some Judy pocket universe? If Audrey is in a coma and just dreaming, how is her story about Billy, Tina et al basically repeated by Tina herself in the roadhouse? (Maybe Tina is a nurse and Audrey heard a conversation and incorporated it into her coma dream?) Why is there a recurring theme of "I had forgotten about that but it's coming back to me now, like a dream I had almost forgotten". Weird timeline stuff like the Mr C text of "Las Vegas?" being sent after Diane received it, seems impossible to make work within any time frame.

Lots of unnecessary stuff that could / should have been cut: everything with Jerry, Red, Shelly's daughter, Truman's wife, all pointless. Keep Wally Brando forever though.

It's a confounding enigma. Probably my second favorite show ever, after The Wire. Maybe tied for first. Gf likes Legion more, which has a similarly experimental presentation but a much more conventional and straightforward plot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I mean, that seems both too easy and lazy an explanation, and unsatisfying.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

HD DAD posted:

It’s all dreams within dreams. Richard is just as real as Cooper is/was.

At least that’s how I choose to interpret it.

e: either that, or S3 explored the different “layers” to reality, with Richard-verse being the top actual world, Twin Peaks being the shared dream layer where ideas and thoughts intermingle, the Lodges being the next layer down, and so forth. I dunno man, it’s just Lynch and his delightful kookiness. It could be anything.

I mean, I do kind of buy that. Two different worlds, each existing as a dream of the other. But is there an underlying reality? Did episode 8 exist in that reality or was it a dream? What is the dream, and who is the dreamer? :iiam:

I do find it interesting that Jennifer Lynch's directorial debut, Boxing Helena, takes the "it's all a dream" motif as literally as possible and got blown tf up in reviews for it. Even naked Sherilyn Fenn couldn't save it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I think a significant factor is that, even putting aside his thematic choices or personal interests, he is one of the most technically skilled directors of all time. He has a mastery of mood and tone that is up there with Kubrick and Hitchcock. There are at least 3 scenes in Mulholland Dr (hitman scene, dumpster scene, Club Silencio) that I'd put up there with any Spielberg oner.

Club Silencio, man. Here's how good Lynch is. He tells you exactly what the trick for this scene is ("nothing is real") and immediately makes you forget it when the trumpet player plays. Then you realize he's not playing and you're like, oh yeah, I'm a dumbass, he just told me everything was a recording. And then! He does the same loving trick again and you fall for it again! A true master of his trade.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 23, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Is it Laura, though? She's kind of zapped upwards in a strange digital effect. We see that effect a few other times, always when it's a tulpa / doppelganger being moved and never with a real person.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

multijoe posted:

Do we ever see anyone else get yanked out of the frame like that? But it would basically have to be her regardless as we find out later on that she *is* bought back from the dead from the White Lodge and that's pretty much what the scene is conveying

Not-Diane vanishes like that

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

No need for spoiler tags.

So many deaths from the end of s2 were retconned? I can see that for Audrey but what other character deaths were retconned? I guess an argument could be made for Laura even though she didn't die at the end of s2, and Cooper was shown to be in the red room at the end of s2 and never died. Will Hayward? A knock on the head is pretty mild by end of season cliffhanger standards.

E: and Doc Hayward was basically included because 1) he is co-creator Mark Frost's father, and 2) he was dying of Alzheimer's. It was basically so fans of the actor or his character could see him one last time, similar to Catherine Coulson (the log lady).

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 23, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/david-lynch-bizarre-ringtones-series/

E: ugh, this is neither new nor actually available. Dumb.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 10, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

although now that season 3 exists a valid answer is also "it gets weird intermittently throughout the first two seasons and then S3 immediately ramps up the baseline for weird by like 500%"

I still smile when I think back to the s3 live watch period of the thread and the guy who kept trashing the show for being confusing and not making any sense, and it turned out he hadn't seen s1, s2, or fwwm. I'm surprised he made it as far as he did, at least to episode 5 or 6 as I recall.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That's not true. That's impossible!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Some people speculate that the weird hum that Ben Horne and Ashley Judd try to track down is Josie. Doesn't really make sense, but there's no real reason for the scene otherwise.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Denise has a separated-at-birth identical twin who, along with his partner Dana Scully, comes to Twin Peaks to investigate these reports of tulpas

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Holy poo poo Ashley Judd was in S3. Why

Why not? She's great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Pretty sure his final work is that monkey video on Netflix

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

side_burned posted:

What I am saying is I would like to live in the world where someone gave Lynch same freedom that HBO gave David Chase.

Literally season 3

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

And a banger soundtrack

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Watched Elephant Man for the first time this year and it is amazing. The sound design is incredible.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

it's essentially the same explanation as Mulholland Dr

which is kind of funny because the short version is, "it was all a dream" which is the most hacky, cop out trick imaginable, except that David Lynch is so loving good that he pulls it off. But the funny part is that his daughter directed a movie with the same gimmick, Boxing Helena, and that movie is trrrrraaaaaaaasshhhh.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Edit: ^^^Lost Highway is not a dream.

Semantics. it's a mental fugue.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I bet he likes The Masked Singer

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just found out this existed:

The original TV pilot of Mulholland Drive.

https://youtu.be/kcXt3ufaLgc

Really interesting. The Winkie's hobo monster scene is cut but he appears in the closing shot. I wonder if the Winkie's scene would have been in a later episode. And the audition scene is still incredible and powerful but in its trimmed down state here it's a bit diminished. And of course with the pilot ending with the discovery of Diane Selwin's body there's no Club Silencio or the entire paradigm shift of the film.

Really seems like a series reboot / reimagining, in the vein of Fargo, would be right up HBO's alley.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I sometimes fantasycast Luke Perry as James and wonder if it would have worked better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Reo posted:

There's something here. David Lynch, David Byrne. If your surname sounds like an act of violence, please name your kid David and they may become a great auteur.

Explain David Spade

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Section 9 posted:

2) What movies/shows that aren't Lynch would you consider Lynch adjacent in such a way that you would recommend them to anyone who likes Lynch (and maybe specifically Twin Peaks since that's the thread topic) Not because they have anything in common with Twin Peaks, Lynch, or whatever but just because you feel like people who vibe with Lynch would vibe with them.

The Vast of Night feels Lynch-inspired, in the same way that Brian de Palma can be said to feel Hitchcock-inspired.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I was visiting my mom when episode 8 aired, I watched it and she watched with me, she having seen none of season 3 and not having seen seasons 1 and 2 since the original air date. To say that she was confused by the episode and gob-smacked that I could enjoy such a show is to hugely undersell her reaction.