Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly thought Cooper wouldn’t appear at all. James and Ed and Norma were unexpected delights as well, although Twin Peaks the town seems like a diseased, dying nightmare and I thought something terrible would happen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished The Return and...I think I liked it? There's no closure, obviously, and I figured I wouldn't like where things were going after the Audrey episode and David Bowie being a tea kettle. But I'm really into the sublime way the show opens way up at the end to an uncertain setting that's just suggested rather than discussed explicitly--it would have been ruined if anyone had said "time travel" or "alternate timeline" or whatever. Also if there was any suggestion as to whether Cooper and Laura went into the future or the past at the end. I hope there are more episodes or another movie or something after all now.

I also had no idea we'd learn so much about Judy. It was a nice surprise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Capntastic posted:

What year is it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone know if the Complete Television Collection has the "between two worlds" feature where Lynch interviews Sarah Lee and Ray Wise in character? It's on the Z to A set, but I don't want to pay over retail and am not wild about a huge box full of plastic figures. This is the set I'm curious about :

https://smile.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks...25B3X6S5WXRC9DZ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

As always with David's stuff, cool to have the different takes.

What I like about the off-putting and shocking ending is that it's all wrong. I don't think we have the information to know why Coop is Richard and what it means, Diane as well, or what's going on in that reality etc. To me that sense that nothing is right is what the ending is.

That said, fun to discuss. I just like that feeling of eerie unknown and whatnot, and I feel that's the point of the ending. I don't think the earlier plot of the season with the Coops is intended to explain the ending.

To me it's that you lose your sense of self and comfort in the world if things are different. And now things are different in ways they don't know or understand.

I share that feeling and enjoyed the finale for the same reason. The unknowability of what you’re seeing paired with the understanding that there’s enough there that it could be pieced together in theory creates a really powerful sense of the sublime that I really enjoy.

It would have been completely ruined if any character had said “new timeline,” parallel universe,” or “time travel” instead of everything proceeding by baroque hints.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When you see me again, I won’t be me. Have a good life! We will see you soon!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terminator tried it several times with a few versions of a returning Arnold and most recently with a mid-70s Linda Hamilton.

Also Halloween.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mrenda posted:

I'm watching Twin Peaks for the first time, and I've just finished up with season 1 (I think I watched five episodes in one day,) and I dunno, maybe it'll come down the line, but I was disappointed by the "killer" reveal. I know Lynch said he didn't want to reveal who the killer was, and I read that after the first episode, but it does seem like in attempting to give logic to what was happening they couldn't keep the mystery immediate and had to add new elements. Another factor is True Detective (S1) came out almost thirty years later, and that seemed to go the opposite with ramping up the weirdness as it went on. It's like a story-telling trick was discovered or given permission to happen between Twin Peaks and "modern" prestige dramas. I'm not too sure if this a trick on me, more that it stayed true to what was happening with television at the time. The filming it like a soap opera, and even the in-show soap opera all highlight how Twin Peaks needs to follow that path.

I'm ready to go into Season 2, now, but I'm not sure what I'll make of it with people putting out charts and graphs about which episodes are good and which are not. The start of Season 1 was amazing, but I feel a little like I've missed its place in time, and a worsening show might not hold up.

You mean that True Detective started out leaving open some weird Lovecraft poo poo and ended up being about regular crime and Twin Peaks is hitting you with magic dreams and poo poo after a set-up for a regular murder investigation? Or you mean that they each get weirder in their own way as they go on?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You’re probably going to really enjoy season 3 when you get to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Coop and Harry looking at the llama.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most amazing part is that Dana Ashbrook’s perfect stillness makes it seem like they used a photo background right up until he cheers for our brave men fighting overseas.

The end of history was such a hosed-up time, and not in a good way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s just infiltrating One-Eyed Jack’s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know that anything was successfully resolved by that guy punching BOB to death, because time stopped and the universe got stuck at the end. Cooper leaves and says that some things are going to change. It seems more like he went back in time to start a new iteration of whatever series of events rather than going into another timeline or reality. I don't think that first timeline is still there with everyone standing inside the sheriff's office watching the second hand on the clock go back and forth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, I hope she's under doctors' care and getting the help she needs, but the scene was kind of ambiguous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All the aesthetics of that episode were wonderful, but I love that the giant lives in a 90s point-and-click Myst clone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which puts Twin Peaks in the same universe as that HBO Watchmen series, or demonstrates that The Nine Inch Nails travel between universes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

With all these releases, it's getting as bad as the Evil Dead series, especially if they do another season.

I wonder how involved Lynch was on the complete set that came with a Laura Palmer figurine?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am getting sick of 90s nostalgia in all instances where it does not involve Twin Peaks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 3 picks up a lot more of the threads from the movie than I would have expected. I can believe that Lynch used some of the sequel ideas he had drafted from back in that period, and maybe some of them weren’t changed very much given the importance of David Bowie and Judy, neither of which had any particular longevity in the popular imagination vs stuff from the series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I see the boring poo poo in season two as an old friend at this point, like when someone posts goatse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was utterly transfixed the entire time. When it was over, I thought that only ten minutes had gone by.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A feature-length version of weather report called Climate Report that’s about global warming.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

The ending frustrates me- in a good way- since to me it feels like Cooper had basically won but he just had to push his luck a bit farther and ended up loving everything up in his hubris

Time stops and he can’t do anything other than go back in time. Maybe he has a choice about changing past events, but I don’t think he can just go off into the sunset. Events conspire to put him in the sheriff’s office with everyone together and the clocks all stopped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doesn’t Laura scream after hearing her mother calling to her? I can’t actually remember.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

we don't know who Judy is

or what it is

it just wasn't answered at all

My gf thinks Judy created BOB, but it was clear that the Trinity test created him. He is the personification of the evil that all men are capable of. Maybe Judy is the same for women? Seems like it might be Sarah Palmer, but she isn't even there in the new timeline at the end...

There is a white humanoid shape vomiting him forth. Trinity definitely prompts his birth as it prompts the giant to send Laura Palmer to Earth, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to see that shape as Judy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Babylon 5 just put out a new (animated) film. I always subconsciously compare them with Twin Peaks whenever I wonder if it’s too late for more Twin Peaks. Lynch has the advantage in introducing new characters and actors, but all things end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

Literally bowie knife. Now Hasslehoff...

Now do Klaus Nomi.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Every year I am more and more ready to let out that scream Laura gives at the end. Perhaps I have been doing it already.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump: “I hope to see all of you again—every one of you.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the version that pans over a big 80s paperback-style oil painting of the history of the Dune universe while a narrator describes the butlerian jihad and how the empire is organized. It’s just so weird and makes the movie 500 times more confusing. There’s a tv cut of Videodrome that does the same thing, but it plays the score while panning across paintings of mutated James Woods.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even if it’s bad or loses money, it’s guaranteed to be culturally significant in a way that has to have some kind of estimable dollar valuation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They filmed an entire season of an adaptation of Matt Wagner’s comic Grendel and then refused to show it and either shelved or destroyed it for the tax gains. No idea if it was good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m still haunted by the way David Bowie says, “we live inside a dream,” 30 years later. What more could I want? Making sense can’t top that, which isn’t to say that there aren’t ideas or claims about the world and life in Twin Peaks.