Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Every time I've watched Twin Peaks over the years, I burned out 2-3 episodes after the conclusion of Laura's storyline. I recently started a rewatch and told myself I'd power through this time. Man... I don't think I've ever seen a show drop off in quality so fast. Things definitely picked up again once Annie came to town, and of course the finale is a great return to form. The chart in the OP is very accurate. Not to get into the whole skipping episodes debate, but you guys might want to consider watching 2 episodes per week once you get there.

I will say I actually like Windom Earle's character and gimmick. It makes little sense to shove him into this show though. We just spent 17 episodes mourning the loss of one life, and suddenly there's a serial killer producing bodies every other episode and nobody in the police or FBI seems to care much. It's such a departure from what made the show great.

With that said, I'm looking forward to watching FWWM again and then Season 3.

Rageaholic posted:

I saw Flying Lotus last night and David Lynch opened the show with his Fire Is Coming speech. He also played his Twin Peaks theme remix!
That's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kyle MacLachlan was absolutely right in shutting down the Coop-Audrey romance before it got too weird (it still got a little weird).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Back in '92 this is what Fenn had to say:

quote:

"Kyle didn´t want it to continue. He thought Audrey was too young for Dale; and then they brought in an even younger girl!"

"I think Kyle blew it, because Dale and Audrey were so great together," Fenn says.

"When I complained, David Lynch asked me if I was falling in love with Kyle. I says, 'No! Of course not! But Audrey´s in love with Dale Cooper!

Of course it wouldn't be cool of her to point fingers at Boyle, so take that as you will. I have always thought it's a little too convenient to blame LFB for it. Everyone kinda loves to hate her for some reason.

Regardless of the reason, having the moral, upstanding FBI agent date a high school girl would have been a pretty bad idea.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

I don't really think Cooper is supposed to be a stand in for Virtue, so I don't get why him dating a high schooler would have been "creepy" unless the show was trying to say that was okay and good.
It never struck me as they were setting up for this to be his one big character flaw. I think it really was supposed to be a happy thing that delighted viewers when they finally got together. The show was downplaying the "high schoolers" thing from the start, and Fenn was their popular sexy star that was in all the magazines.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Get. Harry. Back.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One mis-step I always felt the series took was in the quasi-switch of Catherine and Josie as villain/victim respectively. I could never really buy Josie as manipulating or working any angles, and Catherine's appeal to Pete to remember the spark of their initial attraction feels very much like she's just exploiting him for her own purposes. I can't really get a read on how we're supposed to feel about her getting screwed over by Ben, and even when she saves Shelly it feels like she is doing it under protest.

Pete going into the fire to try and find her though... :shobon:

I think Catherine was always meant to come off as manipulative, even after her reappearance. Josie though, I don't really know what they were trying to do with her. It's like they tried to make the audience sympathize with her, right up to the wooden end. She wasn't likable, but she wasn't believable as an underworld criminal either. And then the reveal that she shot Cooper. It's like... okay? At that point in the series, that loose end wasn't exactly begging to be tied up. I had pretty much forgotten about it.

Honestly the lodge/mill backstabbing was some of the most soap opera-ey poo poo in the whole show and I could never get on board with it. Gotta love Pete in every one of his scenes though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Up until this very minute I thought the owl cave ring symbol was completely symmetrical and it is not and I’m freaking out

Well, the most prominent uses of the symbol on the show were in the cave and in Cooper's drawing. I think the asymmetrical line only appears on the ring itself (?). I certainly didn't notice the difference until watching season 3.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

mind linking if you have it handy?

Back on page 100
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820718&pagenumber=100&perpage=40#post473759351

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'll never defend Lynch as being not skeevy, but the nudity in FWWM always seemed appropriate to the scenes to me. The club scene especially is amazing.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

It could have been worse. A few years back, I saw a screening of FWWM at USC with Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee in attendance for discussion afterward. Lee said that at the point when Laura understands that Bob is Leland and it's switching back and forth, there was supposed to be a third option of a dead pig. They had actually brought in this dead pig, and she told Lynch she wasn't doing it; apparently his response was a puzzled, "Why not?" Not angry or mean, just sincerely confused as to why she didn't want to film being raped by a dead pig.

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Amazon has some of the sets on sale today:
https://www.amazon.com/deal/ddf6c588/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

And More posted:

Honestly, I'm very doubtful that MacLachlan knows anything about the meaning of that episode beyond the performance he gave. Which is to say, I completely disagree with his second tweet. :colbert:

I never noticed that. :monocle: Then again, this is the kind of show in which BOB and MIKE have barely anything to do with Bobby and Mike. So :shrug:

Don't forget the two unrelated Dougies.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

David Lynch started a YouTube channel and the only thing on it right now is him describing the weather: https://youtu.be/krIj6eLF4mU

Puts me in mind of Agent Cooper. I can totally hear him saying this exact thing (but faster) on a tape to Diane.

I love the continuity from the old videos from 15 years ago. Same desk and shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raF6k444MWs

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kin posted:

I just rewatched the first 2 seasons and i forgot/never realised that evil coop does his season 3 evil coop voice when getting out of bed.

"i. need. to. brush. my. teeth."

I've also been reading the wiki, which seems to be more a scene by scene synopsis of the show, and it mentioned some stuff happening at the end with Audrey in the bank that didn't appear in the episode. Was there a deleted scene i've missed or something?

I believe The Secret History book had a section about Audrey in the bank.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

wild at heart has Sherilyn Fenn and Sheryl Lee in it and is extremely good

I watched Wild at Heart for the first time on TCM last weekend and it was like Bizarro Twin Peaks. Almost everyone shows up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The only good thing about James' storyline is it makes you hate him even more, which makes his scene in The Return even better.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The announcement is that the Weather Report is NOT stopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapYuD5hDVw

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I mean he teased it IN the weather report, so you can blame the internet for hyping it up to be anything else.

I suppose if you're optimistic, you could say that maybe he was intending to stop the weather report because he is shooting something, and might not be home every day to record it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

You can't really appreciate the 'James was always cool' line until you've suffered through every single one of his plotlines imo

Seriously, it's all worth it just for that and his performance at the Roadhouse.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah it looks like The Television Collection is the way to go, and then you're stuck paying $25 for the drat Criterion edition of FWWM. :rolleyes:

You used to be able to get The Entire Mystery (everything except Season 3) for like $30 for the international version, but that's up to $45 now so it's not the cheapest way.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Missing the slipcover isn't such a huge deal, really. Other than that, it's the same packaging it's always had.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Entire Mystery at least has FWWM and The Missing Pieces. I’d recommend that and the S3 box set with the MultiCoop cover. If only because I think the packaging on that release is really good.

It’s not the cheapest option, but probably the most simple and easy to get, while still looking pretty nice and comprehensive enough without paying for the Z to A set which has become quite expensive.

This is what I have but I don't really think it's the best way right now. Both options work out to $80 for everything (if you get the international version, or $5 more if you get the US version from Amazon), but The Entire Mystery has the same packaging as The Television Collection so that's no different. At that point I'd take the Criterion edition of the movie over the box set version. Yeah the packaging for Season 3 standalone is nice, but I think someone had said that even that is now just coming in a more generic packaging(?)

Getting the TV collection plus FWWM is pretty simple on Amazon.

edit: at the end of the day it's not much different in terms of content, so do whatever, really. And I don't know how prices vary outside of Amazon.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 28, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Didn't they make Piper Laurie show up backstage in disguise and pretend she was some old Japanese actor to fool the cast? That seems worse.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dean Stockwell has died. That suave gently caress.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/Seinpeaks/status/1459524921017647111?t=uH3FbSChPl3l0zKCsPH7Iw&s=19

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Please have a documentary crew omnipresent catching every single interaction between Lynch and Spielberg as they argue over how to make a film :stare:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

:toot:

Twin Peaks gear is 25% off at the Showtime Store with code CHERRYPIE for Twin Peaks Day. I ordered a hoodie and a Great Northern key ring (I already have the chevron t-shirt and face masks).

https://store.sho.com/collections/twin-peaks/products/twin-peaks-giant-standee

Perfect for a guest room.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started the Secret History and have a question for those who followed the release since it first dropped. Was this book promoted as a lead-in for The Return or as an alternate perspective to the world we already knew? What was the reception for this when it came out? Were people well aware that season 3 was right around the corner?

I’m probably not saying anything new here but I think the construction and layout of the book itself is really well done, and the material so far really hits the spot. More twin peaks, and I am really happy about that.

Yeah it was announced after the return was. It didn't get discussed much. Like "this is what Frost was doing while Lynch was off making the series". People were kind of dismissive. The layout is cool though, and some of it tied in well to the new series.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was a Twin Peaks fan first and my favorite Lynch film is Blue Velvet, for what it's worth. I could see the argument for Wild at Heart too.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He has all of his Episode 3 info up at the start of the episode 2 segment. Presumably he watched a couple in a row before recording.

I've been listening to the Nextlander Watchcast (former Gamespot/Giantbomb guys) lately as they're making their way through Season 2. One host has seen the show and is pretty knowledgeable with behind-the-scenes info. The other two are going in blind. They just got to the reveal without either of them guessing the killer. They spend about an hour on each episode, going through the scenes chronologically. I'm hoping they can stick through the end of Season 2 and get into season 3 before burning out.

It's a free podcast and they also did a few Lynch movies leading up to it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

variety doing an interview in april 2024 with mark frost about twin peaks stuff???

https://variety.com/2024/tv/features/twin-peaks-mark-frost-david-lynch-laura-palmer-mulholland-drive-1235955147/

also a lot more positive towards/about David than some of Mark's other Peaks interviews can be.

folks it brings me little to no joy to say this, but Twin Peaks is totally completely absolutely 100% B--

This is as much of a cut and dry explanation of the ending we'll ever get:

quote:

I think we were happy with where it ended up. I thought we might end it slightly earlier, initially with the disappearance when Laura doesn’t die, and we discover that things have been set right. But David reminded me, and rightfully so, “You’re not supposed to go back and fool with history. It’s almost written in stone.” And when we thought about it, it in a way revealed Cooper’s tragic flaw, which is that he can’t leave well enough alone. He thinks there’s always a wrong to be righted and somebody to be saved.

And the truth is, life isn’t as simple as that. And meddling with those forces can have unforeseen consequences. So I felt that that was absolutely the appropriate note to draw the curtain on this thing. And you never say never, but we haven’t talked about anything going forward at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CatHorse posted:

They finally saw the crap that was season 3 (the nuke explosion was cool tho) and noped out.

Michael J. Anderson alt spotted.