Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow, what a rad episode. Holy smokes. So great to see fully aware Cooper again. Really loved how they handled the scenes between him and Janey-E and Sonny Jim. I though the Roadhouse scenes were really interesting too. I've had a pet theory for a while that the Roadhouse might be another altered space in the same way as Glastonbury Grove, but never thought there was quite enough info to support it. There have been hints since way back though in the original series in the framing of some establishing shots there that mirror the Red Room scenes that I noticed.

In the original series, there were so many appearances there by Lodge spirits that it makes sense. Obviously, I never would have thought to connect it to Audrey in this season. Also, I noticed a while back that in the musical scenes this season the crowd is always the same. Same people, same clothes. I originally noticed that one hipster dude with the glasses in all of them. It's another place in the show that seems to exist totally out of time with the rest of the narrative flow. It was really creepy as hell when the crowd all shifted to make space for Audrey. Can't wait for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think I might rewatch Mulholland Drive in advance of next week. There seems to be some interesting crossover there with the setup at play for the finale...A show where everything that's happening is at least to some degree taking place within the dream of one girl. Also, originally planned as an Audrey Horne spin-off.

Honestly, more than anything I hope that there's a good final resolution to the story next week and it doesn't end on another cliffhanger. If the story can/does go on from here, I could definitely get on-board with a spin-off series, but I hope this is the last (red) curtain for this story arc at least, even if everything isn't wrapped up perfectly neatly.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
About that smile.

And right after she gets the smile text, she tells about the doppelganger's smile (almost certainly Bob's) when she was raped.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

The Walrus posted:

Not quite, she's already told that story by the time she gets that second text. right after she gets that she pulls out the gun.

She gets the text when she's sitting at the bar drinking by herself. It doesn't really matter though. I'm just saying it seems clear to me that the smile is a reference to Bob.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Trousers! posted:

I think its a lot simpler than that.
Doesn't Mr C mention to Richard he is missing two of the coordinate numbers?

His text to Diane seems more like ":-) I didn't fall for your trap. ALL (send me all the numbers)"

Eh, maybe, but I don't think that's right. She gets that message twice, once before sending the coordinates and once after. If he was just after the digits then he wouldn't have sent the message again.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

...! posted:

That was mentioned in this thread immediately after the latest episode. It's possible the podcast got that theory from here.

Yeah, that was me. This sounds like a kind of interesting offshoot of what I was talking about. I normally avoid podcasts like the plague, but I might have to check it out. Can someone give me a link or something?

Also, someone had posted a link to an article earlier comparing the pacing of TP and GoT and finding the slow, dreamy pace of Peaks to be superior. Well, here's the mirror dimension version of that same article:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/entertainment/game-of-thrones-twin-peaks-finales/index.html

I don't begrudge people with different opinions than mine generally, but holy poo poo... This guy is DEEPLY misinformed.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Glastonbury Grove, which is the entrance place to the Black Lodge in the original series, is a circle of twelve sycamore trees. That's the significance of the song and the callback when you see the sign. I don't really see it for the first thing you're talking about, but who knows...

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Cable listings show two back to back episodes tonight, but I thought it was a single two hour finale. Anybody know which one it is?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Alright, finally got done with the finale and caught up on the thread. I liked it very much, but it's a tough pill if we don't get any more episodes. I think E18 works really well as a lead in to another season, but it's problematic if this is all we get. I was soundly in the don't-think-we'll-get-more-episodes camp before, but my thinking has changed after this. I think the finale isn't intended to sew things up and is laying out the groundwork for the ongoing story. I think Cooper basically announces this at the Sheriff's station when he says, "I hope I see all of you again, every one of you." Cooper is in a lot of ways a Mary Sue for Lynch and it's interesting to me to have him give a hopeful farewell that seems that explicit.

I don't think the last episode is fully "solvable" as it stands, because it isn't intended to be the end of the story (it might end up that way anyway though), but I didn't find it nearly as hard to make some sense of as a lot of other late era Lynch, particularly when we have Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive/Inland Empire to contextualize a little bit. It really looks like the setup for a new arc that's fueled by a lot of Lynch's now trademark duel identity stories.

I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but I was thinking the house where Cooper finds Laura/Carrie and the dead guy is the same house where Cole nearly gets sucked into the vortex and Bill Hastings gets his head caved in. (EDIT - Rechecked and I was totally wrong. The fence threw me off). Also, this is a big stretch, but did it look like the body on the couch in that scene had an abdominal rip like Cooper's doppelganger gets when Bob is extracted?

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 4, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

nopants posted:

what was the deal with the diane cooper hotel sex scene. at first i thought it was supposed to hint at something being wrong with diane. she saw a doppleganer or some sort of image of herself outside right before the lovemaking begins. during the scene, i thought it showed something of cooper being more like his evil bob possessed self. the slackness of his face reminded me of booper. i half expected him to turn evil by the end of the scene. however, by the end of the scene, it had turned again to diane. she was covering his face and seemed to be sadly enraptured, as if she was living a fantasy, and then realized it wasn't real. fuuuuuuuuck.

I read this take up-thread a couple of times about Cooper looking Bob possessed or like the doppelganger in that scene, but I don't think that's right. I think that what's going on in that whole series of scenes is Cooper and Diane are transitioning into this alternate version of events and things are changing, including who they are "supposed" to be in that version of things. They even talk about how things could change at the beginning of their journey and they don't know what it will be like. When they have sex, it seems to me that they're slipping further into the new "Richard and Linda" reality, but Cooper has inside information from the Fireman to keep him grounded in his Cooper identity while Diane doesn't. Midway through the sex she starts looking sad and covering his face. I think that's the moment where he's really becoming someone else to her and she recognizes that she's losing him in the way that she knew him and she covers his face to make it less painful. Given the deep connection those two characters are supposed to share, I find it to be one of the sadder scenes in the new season.

I don't think Cooper is caught up in the Richard role though at all, like some Redditors seem to think. He introduces himself as Dale Cooper in the last part of the episode, after all.

Also...

:golfclap:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I really feel like people are having screwy perceptions of E18. The episode doesn't answer everything because it's pretty explicitly a new chapter of the story. E17 wrapped up the thread we were on before and this is something new that may or may not ever be made. The finale is only impenetrable if it's intended to be a self-contained ending to the whole series. And it may end up being the end, but it's pretty explicitly stated that there's more to the story. In Cole's infodump earlier in E17, he says exactly what Cooper is up to. He's enacting a plan to find Judy. I don't see any evidence that he's trying to save Laura in the new version of things and this is some oddball take on cosmic horror or a nightmare timeline created by Cooper's misguided need to save the day. And I've been happy to point out in the past that Cooper's trip to the Lodge in season 2 is a failure too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

General Dog posted:

So Cooper is retrieving Laura because she's a cog in the Fireman's plan to take down Judy, just as one punch man was part of the plan to take down BOB.

I wouldn't assume that the Fireman was the source of the plan, but yes it seems clear to me that Cooper has some reason in mind for finding Laura and bringing her back to her house in Twin Peaks. If he was just trying to "save her" then tracking her down from relative obscurity and dragging her back to the epicenter of a storm of spiritual/psychic malevolence and the place her own previous lifetime of abuse hundreds of miles away seems a uniquely stupid idea. My personal guess is that he would be doing something akin to baiting the hook by bringing her there. That's no better than a guess though.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

kaworu posted:

I think there will be a season 4. I just don't think Lynch would have ended it quite that way otherwise.

Also, I'm still trying to figure where the footage of what really looked like Old Cooper leading FWWM-Laura through the woods. Is that... just CGI and trickery with doubles? Obviously the footage with James was new and nor even used in Missing Pieces or the original FWWM to my recollection... Right?

The scene with James was straight out of FWWM, just with Cooper added in the background. The scenes with Cooper and young Laura in the woods together are computer effects. There's been a lot of that in movies over the last several years. I think one of the newer Terminator movies had them de-aging Arnold using the same technique.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Little Mac posted:

Lodge-Laura also screams when she is teleported away. I'm not entirely sure the scream is indicative of the Black Lodge being responsible for that, though it's possible. It may just be Teen Laura screaming because being turned into Carrie Page isn't an altogether painless experience. Not sure.

I'm thinking along the same lines with the screaming teleportation. The Lodge denizens seem to be able to yank her away at will when she's in a place they have domain or influence over. Maybe when she disappears in the woods with Cooper, she's being reclaimed. Just had a thought that that may tie back in with the scene in episode 8 when the Fireman is sending the Laura orb into the image of Earth. The Fireman is older there than in the original series, so it seemed doubtful to me at the time that he was in the past and sending Laura down in reaction to the nuke at the same moment in time. Watching the arc of the orb originally in that scene, I had assumed it was headed for Twin Peaks in Washington, but it looks like it may be dipping before the cut away. Maybe that's her being redeposited in Odessa, after Cooper brings her somewhere she can be retrieved.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

romanowski posted:

i think the general consensus is that that was sarah palmer/the mother (judy? have we determined that that thing was judy??)

I don't know exactly what to think about that, but a lot of this season seems to add significance to this scene from the end of S2 (starts at ~1:16 - poo poo quality, but it's the only clip from this scene on Youtube, I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR7tIvGxUw

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

tap my mountain posted:

Because there's a scene of him splitting into two. Plus Cooper being extremely chipper and altruistic supports the idea that he's only the good half of a whole.

If this is a thing then I have absolutely no recollection of it across multiple viewings since the series originally aired and I wish you would point out a clip of it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

romanowski posted:

i think he's referring to the scene in episode 14 or 15 when andy is in the lodge and the fireman is showing him a bunch of stuff. one of the images is of cooper and booper overlaid over each other and then moving apart

Okay, I know what scene you're talking about now, but I would never have read that as being the two Coopers splitting either. He's old in that scene. No way that he's splitting there. It's just showing that there are two Coopers, like RBX said. It's funny that Andy didn't remember that when the doppelganger showed up in person at the station.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Funnily enough my co-host hated episode 17, especially the "bad" effects and the fact someone we only met a couple episodes ago was the one who finally defeated BOB, but really enjoyed 18.

I still enjoyed E17, but I found the final showdown to be something of a let down comparatively for similar reasons. Everyone shows up at the same place and time, but mostly they don't have much to do with the defeat of the doppelganger/Bob, other than Freddie. Cooper gets there after the doppelganger has already been shot. Freddie punches Bob into another dimension. All Cooper does is put the ring on the body basically. Andy and Lucy play a role, but it's all very brief. Cole and the FBI crew don't really do anything. Same for the Mitchums. I think the main purpose for everyone being there is so that Cooper can be in the same room as all of them and tell them all that he hopes to see them again (Ed really should have been there for that part too, incidentally). The whole thing just felt really quick, cursory and tidy, which I suppose was the intent since the Fireman has clearly been orchestrating things to get them to that point.

I liked the rest of the E17 and all through 18, even though there was some discomfort to it. It was all Cooper doing Cooper stuff and that's always great with me. Hopefully there's a chance to see more of the continuing adventures.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 5, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
"Ah man, I'm not dead anymore! You've ruined my victory against the evil force that raped and murdered me! I wish I was still raped and dead! That would show him!" - A thing that would never be said by anyone at all ever

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Art Alexakis posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about dude?

I don't know why you would assume that was directly in response to you. I was making a joke because the sentiment was expressed by a couple of people that Laura was robbed of her victory over the forces of evil when Cooper altered her death to save her. I thought that was funny because I find it a stretch to think Laura would take that attitude and, as the victim, her perspective on her resurrection seems to be more relevant than that of all of us rando dudes in a forum thread.

Anyway, I'm just kidding around. I've made my perspective clear on this already, which is that the question is moot for me because I don't think Cooper did it in order to rescue her. I think he needed to do so for some undisclosed reason in order to find Judy.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Fados posted:

That point is kinda of important because Laura's whole deal in her final night was that she already knew on some level that BOB wanted her. She knew he was going to possess her and wreck havoc over everyone she ever loved. That's why against Cooper's advice she does put the owl cave ring on at the final moment so that BOB couldn't possess her, knowing full well the alternative was.

But yeah now you get all this time paradox stuff and it gets more complicated. Even then sure, it's better to be alive but apparently it didn't work so good anyways, yeah she's alive, but she's found in a house with a dead guy.

Not being dead anymore doesn't cancel out what she accomplished. She still wasn't possessed and she's alive too. She can have both things. And, maybe it's just me, but 100 of 100 times I will take being alive in a house with a dead guy rather than raped and dead, even if that means I don't get to have the memory of my moral victory middle-finger over the guy that raped and killed me.

terminal chillness posted:

Im pretty sure the only reason cooper would have to mess with Judy is to save Laura.

You think the only reason why Cooper might be interested in defeating an ancient malevolent spirit entity that has been the source of generations of horrific pain and suffering is to save one girl?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

cis autodrag posted:

Did you fall asleep at the end of FWWM or something?

What if at the end of FWWM there was a third option available to Laura in which she could be alive and also not possessed? Do you think that maybe she would have considered door number three?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
That's reductive in the extreme. Seems like the net benefit of beating the big bad extends beyond helping one girl and I'm pretty sure that an FBI agent tasked with protecting people would be aware of that.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

cis autodrag posted:

like what, she traps him in a tub of railroad cement like a scooby doo villain?

the whole point is there isn't another option. she has control over only one thing: whether or not she remains alive. she can only deny her abuser the thing he truly wants and force him to resort to killing her instead. it's practically a fuckin' suicide anthem. all the emotional weight is kinda gone if it was like "oh a timetraveller could have just bonked the rapist on the head with a cinderblock any time".

you are doing that thing where people conflate the literal, supernatural, and metaphorical elements of the show and come to absurd conclusions. the story has no meaning if she can just be magically saved from her trauma in the first place. what is the show about then?

I think you may be intentionally missing the point of what I said, but anyway I don't think that the story now has no meaning just because you say so. All the things that Laura suffered in FWWM, she still suffered. If there's some wacky external reversal of fortune that brings her back after the fact, it doesn't change the fact that she did what she did. You can rewatch FWWM any time and the movie will be the same movie. If the emotional weight is gone for you or other posters then I certainly won't argue against your feelings on the matter, but I don't think it just automatically stands to reason. If you think it's an absurd conclusion to state only that Laura would prefer to be alive and not possessed over being alive and possessed or being dead, then I'll just agree to disagree with you because I don't think there will be any way to advance our conversation further and that is literally all that I was saying in my previous posts. I'm not trying to make a statement that the show is better for having made the choice to play things out this way or argue if it's less meaningful to you. If you think it undermined things thematically then that's cool with me, but if you want to argue that the character of Laura was robbed of something that she would give a poo poo about then I don't know what to tell you.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

People kept saying the voice sounded like Sarah when you messed with it earlier in the thread, but I never saw an actual example.

I didn't hear it either, but my bet is on that being Sarah/Judy too. She's the only character I can think of that fits the conversation, names and whatnot. There were a few things that seem important to me.

The voice on the line talks about missing the Doppelganger in New York. Two relevant people show up in scenes in New York. One is Cooper, who obviously makes no sense to be the voice on the phone. The other is the monster thing in the box, which all signs point toward being Judy.

Sarah is the "mother" of Laura Palmer, who is at the center of everything in the show. Much has been made of the Mother/Judy/Experiment connection and I tend to believe there's merit to that connection. With the scenes that Sarah had in S3, she's clearly inhabited by something bad and Judy seems like the most obviously clued passenger.

When the Doppelganger goes to the Dutchman's, Jeffries tells him that he's already met Judy. Sarah is someone that Cooper, Bob and possibly even the Doppelganger have all met in the past.

Most convincing for me, the voice on the phone call tells the Doppelganger that he's going back to the Black Lodge and the voice will be with Bob again. Guess who else has been with Bob before. Sarah lived with him for years, even if she was never possessed directly. You could say that Judy was with Bob in the past too. The only other human characters I can think of in the whole show that have been with Bob for any significant time in any notable way are Laura (dead), Leland (also dead), Mike and the Doppelganger.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, Wild at Heart is many things. Sappy is not a word I would use to describe 95% of them. Buckle up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Wow, that's just terrible news. Harry Dean Stanton was so awesome. As much as I love him in Lynch's stuff, I think his best picture is Paris, Texas. He's got such an amazing and diverse catalog of work though. Take your pick.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

who listens to karowu, trick is scared of ceiling fans because of television

Yeah, maybe you should go make a podcast about it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think Cooper's doppelganger talks to Daria about it on the bed, right before he shoots her in the head.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
You put the smile backwards. She thinks you just really like all of the emojis.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
https://www.inquisitr.com/4965894/david-lynch-spotted-at-netflix-office-sparking-rumors-of-new-movie/

:trumppop:

Also, somebody should post a Twin Peaks picture or text in the GBS probation thread so we can get some cool Lynch themed sixers going.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Lynch got Emmy nominations for Writing (with Frost), Directing and Sound Design and that's very cool. But it's unmitigated high-level bullshit that nobody got acting nominations.

There were some technical noms too, notably for cinematography and some technical ones for episode 8.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Somebody go post in the GBS Probation thread. Post here or PM me so I'll know you're doing it.

If someone would follow up and give me something cool too that would awesome. I just know I'm going to get some lame furry anime bullshit lol.

Edit - Time's up. Womp womp

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 15, 2018

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Looking for some wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/cFmGB

Apologies if this has been posted before.

EDIT - It's high-resolution captures from all through Episode 8.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 28, 2018

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Hey, anybody want to buy Laura Palmer's coffin?

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/

Midway down. There are a couple of Great Northern signs too, along with a bunch of other non-Lynch TV and movie stuff.

If I win that coffin, can one of you come over when I die and jump on top of it at the funeral for me?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Harrumph... Sorry about your taste in boyfriends.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Awesome vids and most of Lynch's scripts here, including some unproduced stuff:

https://indiefilmhustle.com/david-lynchs-screenplay-download-pdf/

EDIT - To be clear, this is all stuff that's been around before, but not necessarily in a one-stop location.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 13, 2018

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
This is your first viewing? Just watch it all. The lows are part of the experience and worth seeing at least once. Plus not everybody agrees what the skippable parts are (except for that ONE part -- You'll know it when the time comes).

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
To be clear, I'm not advocating skipping anything. I've never skipped anything even after many viewings. I only mean that there's one part that nobody ever defends. Honestly, half the fun in this thread is laughing with friends about the lovely parts of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

BrainMeats posted:

James is the personification of the floor sweeping scene.

I like the floor sweeping scene.

But I like James too, so there you go.