Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Kurtofan posted:

james has always been cool

Ladies love cool James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
As I recall, that's when network meddling was a big issue too. That was another contributing factor for Lynch not having his head in the game.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Ahhhh take all my money

https://people.com/movies/david-lynch-joins-masterclass-instructor/

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Hmmmm... Loves S2. Bored and on the loving phone in S3E8.

:sever:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I always recommend that Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire be viewed in chronological order of release the first time. They have some things in common, but they build on each other in some ways and introduce concepts that carry through as they go. I don't think I would have got nearly as much out of IE otherwise. Even having some familiarity with Lynch's more recent output (with Straight Story being an obvious outlier), IE present a big jump in "challenge" for lack of a better word.

I'm one of the oddballs who likes Lost highway best out of the three, but they are all amazing in their own right.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Oh, screenshots, you say? I posted this a while back...

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Looking for some wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/cFmGB

Apologies if this has been posted before.

EDIT - It's high-resolution captures from all through Episode 8.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Audrey is 18 at the time of the show. Not that that's much better.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

There are clearly parallels between Laura's and Audrey's stories. It's good to compare the two, and look for meaning there. However, turning them forcefully into the same story is simply reductive, and does neither one justice.

Additionally, I think it's lame that the theory relegates all other characters to being stand-ins for Audrey's fractured psyche. What the heck does Pete stand for, then? Is that the part of Audrey that just wants to make lures all day, and likes to review Capablanca games? In any case, Mulholland Drive has nearly the same plot twist. Surely, it's not adequate to read all his work this way.

SNIP'd

Fan theories can be fun to think about, but I don't really put any stock in them. And this one is certainly no different, but point of fact... Mulholland Drive did reportedly begin as an Audrey spin-off show. So maybe the similarity you note can't be dismissed quite as easily as otherwise possible.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

And More posted:

Are we still talking about the short film in which David Lynch cross examines a monkey here?

In any case, it's certainly some kind of success that I got you to post for the first time in two years by reappropriating three year old posts. :v:

:golfclap:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Do NOT start someone at FWWM! That's a terrible idea. That movie, as much as I love it, will not be a good watch for someone who isn't familiar with what came before.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Eh, if she liked S1 and 2 then she’ll probably like FWWM and S3 as well. I’d just let her know in advance they both have much more gruesome and disturbing content, but it’s worth dealing with because they’re both wonderful.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

BetterLekNextTime posted:

...the tight profile of Hawk, Truman, Coop, and doc Hayward.

I love that shot. Good call.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

regulargonzalez posted:

Lots of unnecessary stuff that could / should have been cut: everything with Jerry, Red, Shelly's daughter, Truman's wife, all pointless.

Fight me IRL

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

The Walrus posted:

I think the great thing about twin peaks is that you can choose to analyse it mystery box style, as well as just letting it act as a stylistic piece. People love to discount mark frost's role but TP is still really Lynch's only collaborative work and you need to consider that makes it somewhat different from everything else he's ever done.

I agree that Frost’s contributions are important and shouldn’t be overlooked, but it is not accurate to say that TP is his only collaborative work if a shared writing credit is sufficient to qualify it as you suggest. Lost Highway was co-written all the way through with Barry Gifford, Straight Story was Mary Sweeney’s script, and two other guys I don’t know have a writing credit on Elephant Man.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Motherfucker. If that’s right then I hope he gets moving on it. He doesn’t have years and years to piss away waiting for the right deal anymore.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I’m super bummed because this is playing near me, but it looks like a one night thing and I have commitments already. I’m the weirdo who ranks Lost Highway as probably my favorite Lynch film too.

That trailer is something lol.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, one of the things I love about Lost Highway is how there’s a pretty clear and decipherable story there. It’s still open to interpretation, but it works just fine without huge leaps of convoluted dream logic once you have a framework for the “rules” of the movie. Just a really great show. Also agree that the last chunk of movie is why it works and doesn’t slide up its own rear end into “it was all a dream/hallucination” territory.

Edit: ^^^Lost Highway is not a dream.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2022

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
God dammit quote is not edit.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

regulargonzalez posted:

Semantics. it's a mental fugue.

I don't think it's a matter of semantics at all, because it's not the difference between a dream and a fugue state that I care about. When someone says it was all a dream, the implication is that it was all just in his head. I think it seems clear that everything in Lost Highway is really happening, which is waaaay more interesting to me. What if a person is in something akin to a psychogenic fugue and the real world and its rules rearrange to conform to what he wants and needs them to be? What if turns out some other people may have some influence on what's real too? And what happens if those people are deeply enmeshed in intense interpersonal conflict and wish to do each other harm? Holy poo poo, that's such a cool premise.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Ouch. That sucks. Angelo was amazing.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, that’s a really good show. Heads up though. You may be tempted to watch the sequel based on the strength of the first movie, even though Kyle MacLachlan isn’t in it. Do not make this mistake.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
If you’re looking for Lynch vibes then check out Lemming. It has Charlotte Gainsbourg, who is always amazing.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The recent TV show Brand New Cherry flavour is obviously aping 90s era Lynch

Good call. This show kicks all kinds of rear end. Really goes places. Rosa Salazar is awesome in it. The double whammy of BNCF and both seasons of Undone really made me a fan of hers.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
That deep hope-crushing disappointment that you feel when you google for David Lynch news and find a million articles from the last 24 hours, but every single one is about loving Cheetos and not a new movie or series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Depends. Do you have a letterman jacket around?