Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I figured there was a thread!

I won't be reading it yet, because I'm watching it with a friend and we're still early on (episodes 2–3 of season 2 tonight), but man, I'm obsessed. This show is exactly my poo poo and I can't believe I didn't watch it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

One thing I want to comment on because it's a facet of the show I really appreciate: even though there's a lot of weird poo poo happening, everyone still reacts like normal(ish) people exposed to weird poo poo, and everyone reacts differently to weird poo poo. Albert and Harry are both "wtf" about Coop's dream of a giant, but Albert just snarks about it while Harry spends the rest of the episode asking him somewhat earnest questions. I'd be bothered if everyone was accustomed to it after, like, two weeks, or whatever it's been in-universe at this point.

regulargonzalez posted:

It'll get worse, and then it'll get lovely

Yeah, I'm starting to feel this, though. Anytime Hank, James or Bobby are on screen, my full attention isn't. And I'm already over Audrey's plotline.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yespleasego.jpg

Didn't understand, googled, am delighted.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The thing I regret, other than not getting into the show sooner, is being so excited to read about/discuss the show that I inadvertently spoil myself for some things. (Yet I participate in the thread. Curious! I am very intelligent.)

Watched S2 eps 4 and 5 last night. I really appreciate how the show can have such ridiculous, unworkable plans on one hand (Catherine in yellowface?!?!) and on the other still be like, "no, actually, when an 18-year-old girl with no resources makes a plan, and her only help is another 18-year-old girl who isn't really on board with the plan, that plan is going to suck." I thought Donna was going to try to take Harold into his bedroom or something, which was bad enough, but no, they're just standing on the other side of the giant windows, five feet away from Maddy fumbling around with the bookcase.

For that matter, though, what did Harold expect from Donna? He'd already caught her snooping once, and then that same day, she'd stopped "telling her story" after one sentence, snatched the secret diary and coerced Harold into following her outside. Why did he assume it'd be different when she came back later? (Though given that her story was about when she and Laura were in middle school and getting kissed by 20-year-old boys, I'd have been just as happy not hearing it...)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Holy poo poo. Even being spoiled for Leland as the "physical" killer, S2E7 was intense and hard to watch.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I am in the home stretch of Season 2 , episode 21 right now. I don't remember anything. Surprised to see Heather Graham I didn't know she was in Twin Peaks. Shits getting real. I honestly don't know when it happened but all the poo poo with James I guess was sort of not resolved I dunno . Just glad I don't have to sit through his story line anymore. So dull.

Keeping things rather spoiler free for myself , but excited to see how this ends.

edit:

What the hell did I watch lol I forgot how weird that last episode was

We just watched the last two eps of season 2 last night, and yeah, wow. I didn't think the middle part was as bad as I was warned (though it's clearly lower quality, and I am relieved that James's terrible subplot was so terrible that he was gone forever after it), but I'm trying to decide if the finale was the actual best episode of the series, or if it just feels that way after such a long stretch of mediocre episodes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

If this is a promise about season 3, it's a very exciting one. (I was spoiled for some parts of the original series; I know almost nothing about season 3.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

pyrotek posted:

Also, make sure to watch Fire Walk With Me before you start season 3. It is as important to season 3 as the original seasons are.

We're watching FWWM next week and The Missing Pieces the week after, just to be complete.

I appreciate everyone trying to avoid spoiling me! I've learned one or two things I'd have preferred not to just by unthinkingly moving my mouse over a spoiler.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

And there's one episode that I still to this day can not believe actually aired. I have never seen anything like it on tv and rarely in film.

eSporks posted:

Seeing that episode for the first time was pure magic. I have never experienced a TV or movie experience that incredible. This is not hyperbole either, its an amazing and indescribable experience. Lots of other great moments in s3 too, and lets make sure not to spoil it for the pastor.

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, I was mouth agape through almost the entirety of that magical episode, probably the best single episode of a television show I have ever seen in my life.

So, I'm going to guess you were all talking about episode 8, which I loved.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Just finished the season 3 finale a couple minutes ago. I have a lot to think about, but I'd like to start with a question.

This one.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

Yeah Epstein and Maxwell went to lots of parties and took pictures with whoever was worth taking pictures with. Unless he flew on the Lolita Express or something, I'm not too worried.

Yup. Easiest way in the world to get the appearance of legitimacy, assuming you have the in to get into the parties to begin with.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

The Evolution of the Arm also seems to be benevolent though i don't know why, The LMFAP mostly wasn't. . .?

I think the Arm isn't so much benevolent as it is just focused on garmonbozia. It's therefore on Coop's side during the series, because Bob has been taking it all and Coop opposes Bob. Think about when Ike attacks Dougie. Once the situation is mostly in control, the Evolution of the Arm appears just to urge him to "squeeze his hand off!" That's not helpful at that point, but it would create additional pain and suffering.

eSporks posted:

Mike cut his arm off, and by shedding the evil part he became good.

Not sure why he seems to be human and have a physical manifestation unlike bob.

He possesses Philip Gerard in the physical world. I assumed he used Gerard's form in the red room, etc., just because that's the only form we've ever seen him in and giving him a Bob-like "real form" at that point would be too pointless a complication even for Lynch.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Coincidentally, I literally just watched Lost Highway for the first time, then was browsing and saw this thread and the announcement about Lost Highway.

That's some movie. What kind of movie I'm not sure, but it's certainly something.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

My gf thinks Judy created BOB, but it was clear that the Trinity test created him.

Not that clear. It appears more likely to me that, to the extent BOB was "created" at all, the Experiment created him (since it's seen spewing him forth along with all the other stuff) and the Trinity test was just what allowed him entrance to the world. The Experiment is a pretty frequent guess for being Judy or at least Judy-aligned, which I agree with and which would put me more on your GF's side than yours.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I don't know what the gently caress The Experiment is but since it morphed into "real" Dianne, I'm leaning toward it not being Judy.

That's not the Experiment, that's Naido. There's no strong relation between the two that I recall.

edit: and when did Cooper "cross over" into the new reality? I think it was when he fell asleep after letting Dianne take her power back during the sex scene.

I think it's pretty specifically before that, literally the point right after Cooper says "once we cross, it could all be different." He drives a bit forward, suddenly it's night instead of day and their demeanors have changed, they've crossed.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Wasn't it something like "My father killed me?" We know she tells him who killed her, I'm sure we hear it at some point.

Oh, yeah, we hear it in S2E9, after the waiter tells Leland "that gum you like is going to come back in style" and everything falls into place for Cooper.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wa27 posted:

Yeah it was announced after the return was. It didn't get discussed much. Like "this is what Frost was doing while Lynch was off making the series". People were kind of dismissive. The layout is cool though, and some of it tied in well to the new series.

Yeah, I have both Secret History and Final Dossier, and I think they're well-done and I enjoyed reading them, but it's hard for them to keep anyone's attention when Lynch is like "they don't matter, I haven't looked at them."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clud87yoXND/

Al Strobel was not pleased at the critical reaction to Fire Walk With Me, and he's not wrong.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I just remember that it shows so much nudity and raunchy poo poo and drug use and then she just gets brutally raped and murdered

it's like the ultimate "yea, gently caress you for letting yourself enjoy this you creep"

This is... not how I've ever interpreted the film. The point to me, as it is in the series, is that Laura is a victim of horrible abuse and leading a double life as a result, and if anybody had ever been willing to look past her homecoming-queen facade they could actually have helped her. But nobody did despite many opportunities to do so.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The club scene definitely has nudity in it. It’s all unsettling though, it’s always meant to be hosed up.

Yeah, and Laura flips out and stops everything when she realizes Donna's being taken advantage of. It's Laura realizing how far gone she is, because she does these things and doesn't really think about them, but also that she isn't completely lost, because for all her tough talk to Donna before the club, she is still going to step in and be protective and try to stop her from following any further in Laura's footsteps.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I am glad I watched all of Season 2 but I wish so much of Season 2 was not what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, Coop's flaw isn't "he wants to improve things," it's hubris: he believes he (and perhaps only he) can improve these things, and more importantly, he believes he can know, and handle, all the consequences for doing so. He's got the answers and he's going to make things better, except, oops, what he actually has is pride and a haughty spirit, and they come before destruction and the fall.