Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Lycus posted:

Nothing against Robert Forster, but I don't get why they didn't just make Hawk the sheriff now instead.

Because then he'd have to deal with the opioid crisis instead of some lady's log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

kaworu posted:

I decided to link him the brief scene of Becky spacing out in the car, and my dad's response was to say "Wow, that's such a "Dirty Old Man" shot. That's gross." He seemed to feel the shot was somehow inappropriate because it was an old man shooting a pretty young woman being extremely sensual. I respected his opinion but disagreed, but it did get him talking/thinking about it.

Twin Peaks is a show about a town where everyone was in love with an underage girl who was ultimately raped and murdered by her own father. Lynch's daughter also wrote a first person tie-in account of Laura being raped by her father. So if your dad had that reaction to such a brief, innocuous shot I don't think there's a hope in hell of him appreciating the rest of the series.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The people who think Dougie Coop is hilarious are the ones who post HOLY poo poo in South Park threads in the last couple years as if they're still edgy.

This attitude, on the other hand, is perennially edgy.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Panamaniac posted:

that wasn't the float-away guy that was in the cell near matthew lillard early on, was it?

The guy who floated away was thinner, if I remember correctly.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If anything, I'm even more confused about what the rules are for how Dougie operates now because he goes from being childlike to being quick on his feet well-trained FBI agent back to being childlike again.

I'm glad we got to see Coop reappearing to protect Janey, but how does he just turn it on and off like that since it stops as soon as the threat's over? He seems like he's learning everything else for the first time, like he retained almost nothing from Coop, but how did he retain this and nothing else?

Seems to me he may know and remember everything from his old life, he just lacks a sense of urgency and motivation most of the time. Possibly from sitting in a chair for 25 years, possibly because an evil entity has half his life-force.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 19, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Man-In-Madden posted:

Did Bad Coop ever say anything else backwards other than the scene with Gordon? Wonder if it could have been a slip up or maybe him taunting Gordon?

Probably his hold on the regular world was weakened by losing so much garmonbozia.

Also this should probably be at the top of this page:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The white horse symbolizes death, cocaine, and that Deftones album.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Corsec posted:

In Mulholland Drive, if you only watched the first half up to the Club Silencio scene, it'd be really tough to interpret it as a dream since that interpretation requires the latter half of the film to contextualise the first half.

I'd say that's mostly true but on the other hand isn't one of the first shots a POV shot from someone's perspective as they lay their face down on their pillow, before fading into the rest of the film?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

snoremac posted:

What is she doing here?

Laughing in the face of death.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

IIRC The Woodsman also appears at the end of Inland Empire, though I'm not sure if it was the same actor.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

So the woodsman (woodsmen?) appear to be like, lesser lodge beings?

They seem equivalent to the owls of Twin Peaks, but the owls operate around Glastonbury Grove and these guys come from a different area where the door to the lodge(s) opened.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

7th Guest, Sanitarium, etc

To me it looked most like Obsidian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_(video_game)

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I was thinking maybe the girl who swallowed the bug grew up to be Mrs. Tremond, but I guess that timeline doesn't line up with her age.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Music Theory posted:

Edit: Continuing the first point, the invention of the nuke could be interpreted as the most important event in shaping the world, or at least America, afterward. BOB seems to be created as a response, and he tends to be the incarnation of modern evils (drugs, sexual violence). Just as the nuke creates the modern world and all its evils, the mother created BOB.

Sexual violence is as old as humanity, its not a modern problem.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

But yeah people do talk about the invention of nukes as humanity losing its innocence. "I am become death", and so on.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

skasion posted:

not really the right allusion to make there since the quote is over 2000 years old

Here's another one:

“America is not a young land: it is old and dirty and evil. Before the settlers, before the Indians... the evil was there... waiting.”

- William Burroughs

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

I still don't know what the woman in the Purple room is/was or even what the purple room is and what was behind the door but it certainly felt sinister.

The red room seems to be where the entities reside when they're their interacting with humans or on the cusp of doing so. The convenience store and Glastonbury Grove are other sides of that, but in Earth territory. The purple area seems to be their own realm where they do their own thing, though they can still observe Earth from afar.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

GOTTA LIGHT?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Modrasone posted:

This all begs a rather obvious question, what is the end to Twin Peaks? What is the final resolution that completes the story? The original TV series was a mess that was heavily compromised by the network and Lara Flynn Boyle and wasn't what was intended. It was supposed to be three series with the central mystery left unsolved.

I thought it was intended to run forever, like a normal daytime soap.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I thought it was maybe a super slowed down version during the scenes with the portal in the sky. And speaking of that, wasn't that right out of Donnie Darko?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

(What DID happen to Chester Desmond anyway? A Chris Isaak cameo in the Black Lodge would be nice).

Probably went through something like this:

Into the place above the convenience store.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

Apparently, in The Art Life, there's a shot of Lynch's notes that looks like the outline for a scene that hasn't happened yet.

It's hard to read, but it's about Cole seeing Monica Bellucci in a dream in a cafe in Paris. We already know that Bellucci is casted and that they shot in Paris, so it lines up. I assume Bellucci's character was just not named yet when he made these notes and that she is not playing herself.
There's a line of dialogue in it that's "We are the dreamer who dreams." The title of episode 14 is "We are the dreamer."

Cole also says "Cooper was there with me/us but I couldn't see his face."
The paragraph before all this is hard to read but it mentions "her TV in the living room" and "we enter the film and it becomes reality" and "what the gently caress"

Here's the screenshot: http://imgur.com/eUoJVkM

edit: apparently this was already discovered months ago. Still, the link between this and the episode 14 title is a new development

I thought they said 100% of the new season was shot in, and takes place in, America.

Also, the episodes have titles?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

quadpus posted:

Erica Eynon is "Experiment" in part 1 and part 8
People are conflating that with "Mother" but it's not credited as such.

Wasn't one appearance of the creature, or one of the creatures, entirely CG though?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Maybe one is the Doppleganger of the other.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

Also, it seems logically impossible to criticize David Lynch for some of you. Anything that might be considered unacceptable in other works is hand waved away as being part of Lynch's grand design. If a scene is boring it's apparently because it's supposed to make you feel bored. Can't the scene just be boring and self-indulgent? Can't Lynch gently caress up sometimes?

It's just that Lynch never wanted the original run to be about actually solving Laura's murder, and from watching this season so far its clear the same is true of what is ostensibly the main conflict of this season. Really all the slice of life vignettes are the important part, not Cooper vs. Cooper. Just like Laura's murder was the excuse the show needed to dig up all of Twin Peak's drama and dirt for us, this show is just using the main conflict as an excuse to explore its real themes: ageing, impermanence, entropy, and people reliving the same mistakes over and over again.

That doesn't make Lynch, Frost, or this season infallible of course. But it should be judged for what it actually is.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

Even if the mystery was never meant to be solved, the existence and intrigue of the mystery gave meaning and context to smaller characters and plot threads. When the mystery was solved, the smaller characters and plot threads diverged and the result was that a lot of the content of the show just wasn't that interesting. I think we differ on what we interpret the focus of the show to be (and that's perfectly fine), but to me the new series has lost a bit of momentum in the last few episodes because the Cooper story has not moved forward in any substantial way. When we get 30 seconds of Coop and 11 minutes of Audrey berating some dude we don't know about people that we are not invested in, that's when I start to become disappointed with what we are being offered here.

You're right, that's where we differ. But to me the fact that the show isn't focusing on solving the Cooper vs. Cooper conflict tells me that conflict is not the main focus of the show. For better or worse. Seems like pretty straightforward reasoning to me; the show shows us what its about.

Like I said, the central themes of the new season are ageing, impermanence, entropy, and people reliving the same mistakes over and over again. The absence of a fully-functional Cooper as we knew him gives meaning and context to everything else by how it fits with those themes, and the show thwarting our expectations of how and when he should return to his senses is key to that.

Let me just reiterate its not that Lynch et al can do no wrong. I just think he's failing at doing what some viewers want because he's succeeding at doing something entirely different.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey so in the poem is it "one chance out" or "one chants out"?

And it's "fire walk with me" as in hey fire, come travel with me or "firewalk with me" as in doing something crazy and extreme like walking across hot coals

I always thought it was like calling on the fire to protect the person as they walked between worlds.

As for chance or chants, either works.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

prediction: Nadine is gonna leave Ed for Dr Amp and that'll be the catalyst for him and Norma finally getting together after fuckin decades

What makes you think Nadine is even still with Ed?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I have the worst gaydar ever for a lesbian but I kinda thought Norma and Shelly had become a thing for a minute before we saw Shelly was dating drug guy. Something about the specific way they would exchange looks in some scenes.

I think Norma just had a look of wise sympathy because she cares about Shelley but is stuck watching the same problems playing out all over again.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

James' voice kinda sounds like Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I wouldn't want Twin Peaks to continue past this, but it would be cool if instead they got Lynch to do a new miniseries. Its not like this show has been that much like the original seasons, anyway.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I feel like if the original Twin Peaks had never revealed who murdered Laura Palmer it probably would have played out like every other cliffhanger show did in the mid-2000s, eventually wearing thin and too long and the reveal being completely underwhelming or disappointing.

How could the reveal be underwhelming if they never revealed it?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Nearly all of Lynch's films have been cut shorter than he wanted due to input from the studio. Perhaps this has actually benefitted his work and giving him total control is working to his detriment as he doesn't know how to edit his ideas.

Was Mulholland Drive cut for the studio? Aside from re-editing to change it from a pilot to a movie, I mean.

Escobarbarian posted:

It seriously doesn't seem to have been ripped by anyone. I thought these damned Germans were meant to be efficient!

Supposedly anti-piracy laws are much more strictly enforced there.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Inland Empire was pure lynch, and also nearly impossible to sit through, so ima go with a little oversight being a good thing

It had so many great parts. Sunny Jim playing on his new playground in the latest episode reminded me of this:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Lotta great parts, but an absolutely incoherent whole (please dont use this as an excuse to tell me why im wrong and its actually perfect this is my opinion).

I don't blame anyone for disliking it, but I never understood how it got the reputation for being incoherent.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

It makes me sad when people look at a show as sincerely concerned with the human spirit as TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN & say it's "trolling."

I agree with the main point he's trying to make, but I think its worth noting that trolling is often paradoxically sincere even though on the internet it is usually cloaked in a facade of nihilism. I think Lynch is clearly trolling us, but the ideas motivating the trolling are sincere. If the term "trolling" is getting in the way, another way of saying it is he's playing with and subverting our expectations.

kaworu posted:

I honestly think this is like... About as overtly political as Lynch gets, besides maybe Dr. Amp? But he's basically underscoring the same sort of points that Dr. Amp (it really is so much more fun calling him that than Dr. Jacoby) also talks about how processed food is poison and how all this crap is being forced on us by corporate industry. I honestly think these are like... literal things that Lynch believes. And I *kinda* agree, at least in the sense that my mother raised me with the axiom "you are what you eat" and as a result I've always stayed far far away from fast food and gas station food and whatnot, though I'm not a total snob I'll eat mcdonalds if I have to.

In some ways Dr. Amp seems like a self-parody of Lynch. Or of his reputation.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

kaworu posted:

I find it somewhat incongruous but actually appropriate that the execs at the WWE actually seem to feel there is enough legitimate crossover appeal to do a Twin Peaks parody this summer as a regular bit.

I mean, before, I wouldn't have thought the Venn diagram of TP/Lynch fanatics would cross-over much with people who EVER liked wrestling, then I remembered that I used to love it in the '90s when I was a kid and remembered those Bret Hart DVDs and crap I bought like 15 years ago or something when I was mysteriously drawn to watching some of it again. So, I guess stranger things have happened?

Both are campy.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I don't have any official insight, but I did read same report about Lynch padding out the original 9 episodes while Frost disappeared to write the book. This totally makes sense, because while I adore the series, there's some very bizarre editing and pacing issues like Bill Hastings vanishing for like, eight episodes. Or Audrey and Ed not appearing until the final third of the series.

That can't be true because, like you said, they weren't written as episodes. It was all one script. Also, episode 12 was the one that got the most complaints about filler.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

...! posted:

Five hours is NOT a lot of time and I think it's weird that anyone thinks so. There's a lot of poo poo that needs to be wrapped up and if Lynch can somehow pull that off in only five hours he's some kind of magician. Five hours is a tiny, tiny amount of time.

The only real way this is going to make much sense is if Lynch secretly negotiated a fourth season when he negotiated the third.

Doesn't seem that hard. The last episode alone casually tied together a bunch of stuff just in the arm wrestling scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Someone posted before that the episodes each have a title, or tagline. Anywhere I can see those?