Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty dang excited about this! This is going to be dark and beautiful. I watched Between Two Worlds again yesterday– Lynch and the actors have such love for the material. Wife bought a cherry pie and I unfollowed the twin peaks FB group to avoid spoilers. I am as ready as I'll ever be. Let's rock, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My first take was the code wasn't to activate her, but to say "Jokes on you, your trick didn't work, now I'm going to kill you". Tulpa Diane first responded by sending a second set of coordinates in hopes that would mollify him, but he replied back with the same message. She then opted for suicide by FBI agent rather than the possibility of having to see booper again.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Very early on in the first or second episode, he pointedly tells Ray that he doesn't "need" things, he "wants" things. Later he shows the playing card with the symbol of The Mother drawn on it, and before killing Darya explains to her that this is what he wants with more passion in his voice than anything else he's really said since.

But that also doesn't exactly explain why Bad Coop 'wants' that, or what his intentions are for it. We don't even know if that's something DoppelCoop wants, or something BOB wants, or both.

In fact, where Bad Coop ends and Bob begins in that character is something I'm pretty drat curious about, at this point.

This is back a page, but the "I don't need things" lines are word for word from The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. So that part at least is Bob talking, or Bob and booper's interests perfectly aligned. My sense is Bob is the power and booper the ambition (basically what Whindam Earle wanted to be), and booper has more understanding about their enemies within and outside the lodge.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to figure out how to make it work that he's exactly 25 years older. I'm guessing it was just meant as an approximate round number that was either intentionally or unintentionally confusing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Really hard for me to pick one or the other right now, but I think I'd pick the original series (or at least S1 and the first few of S2). The Return is definitely better art and more challenging- so much more to chew on, to keep you off balance, to push, pull and reward, to get inside the viewer's head almost like a reverse 4th wall where the characters are expressing our thoughts. Brilliant. But the original series was just so note-perfect through most of it's run and such a joy to watch.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I like this season best because it really puts the mythology of the setting into the foreground, but without ruining the ambiguity and surrealism of it all. For anybody but Lynch that would be really tough. Even Frost couldn't get the balancing act quite right in the recent book, imo.

Fans of this show, and this season especially, should check out The Leftovers. Not that its the same as Peaks (nothing is), or even ripping it off. Both heavily rely on ambiguity and playing around with your expectations.

I can appreciate the effort and creativity of Frost's book, but it came off as bad fanfic to me. I can see why some people love it, but it just didn't work for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eshock posted:

Two comprehension questions for this last episode:

Was this episode the first time the word "tulpa" has been used to refer to the dopplegangers? I didn't read Secret History yet.

Is the fight that breaks out during Audrey's Dance definitely between two characters other than James and that girl's husband? My first read of this scene was that it was an example of the Roadhouse acting as a nexus between realities, as suggested in the first 3rd of season 2--so Aubrey was witnessing some crossover between her reality and James's. But from reading posts in here it seems that it was a different fight? Is that actually 100% clear on a rewatch?

Tammy mentions the term when she's told about the old blue rose case.

Not sure of the answer to the second question- I've seen people say that you can hear different names being spoken in the audio of Audrey's seen compared to who was there in the James scene, but I'm not convinced it's not the same scene and she's just got a filter that's altering her perception so she can't quite recognize familiar things.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

That's another thing. Giving Mike the hair was the first thing he did after being told that the other one didn't go back in. It was an immediate response. Doesn't make a ton of sense for that to be related to finding a replacement for him for the family. Makes more sense that it would be a way to get evil coop back in, like dougie was used to do the opposite.

I took that to mean coop knew he didn't have hours to chat with Mike. Who knows, maybe you need to get your tulpa order in before noon if you want it ready next day.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

So, something about FWWM that's puzzling to me. There's a scene where Laura sees a dead girl telling her that "Good Cooper in still in the Black Lodge", which seems to be confirmed by Jeffries pointing at him and saying "Who do you think that is?"

However if that's true that would mean that Twin Peaks S1&2 is entirely Booper which is ridiculous. Has this been resolved already?

I think Coop was still Coop in the original series. The message to Laura was meant for future investigators to read once Laura was dead and Coop was trapped.

It's fun to think about whether Coop really died at the end of season 1 but i don't think that's what happened.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it works on one level to the exclusion of any other level. I like thinking about how Lynch plays with the relationship with the audience. FWWM starts with the smashing of a TV (basically what TP did), and then ends with saved Laura basking in the blue glow like the light of a TV. Basically the character of Laura Palmer is always going to exist as this loved entity based on the popularity of the TV show, never mind what her actual last days were like. Now S3E18 is basically re-writing history. If you try to strip away the original show, what are you left with? It's just awkward and weird and sad in the harsh light of the 21st century. The audience's baggage is such a critical part of S3, if you strip it all away, S18 is probably just as disorienting as the rest of S3 is for someone who's never seen S1&2. S3E18 is about a woman with a totally f-ed up past that she's totally blocked out, and some sicko (you, the audience) is pushing her to confront that past. You may think it's for her own good, but it's really about your own need for resolution. What a sick gently caress you are, audience!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished a S1/2 rewatch. Nadine, during the Mike affair, tells Ed "Let's call a Spade a Spade". In S3 she shows up with the Golden Shovel.

Also, this one is pretty out there, it comes from "Slice of Lynch" extra feature (I think). DL is recalling the writing process with Mark Frost, and how they did a lot over the phone but sometimes he would go to Mark's house and sit in a big leather chair that he describes as 'big and slippery' or something like that. It reminded me of the Jeffries teapot scene, "it's slippery in here", like Coop as a character had to go on this pilgrimage to get an audience with a creator of the show to figure out how to go back to a certain point in the narrative. I know that's a big stretch but it's interesting to think about Jeffries as someone who knows too much for his own good!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Even more powerful afterward, when you realize he’s the Leland from the timeline where she went missing. The amount of stuff that clicks on rewatch is crazy.

you just blew my mind

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
His self-sacrifice is probably good evidence of his perfect courage.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

yeah, i want more heartwarming and weird stories of the mitchums

I'm sure this has been mentioned here a million times, but there are some fun little episode synopses for a fake sitcom based on the Las Vegas characters over on 25 Years Later. It's post-show though and mostly Dougie/Janey E focused though.

DropsySufferer posted:

What single question would you ask David Lynch if you could?

The Audrey one is a good one. I have so many questions. Maybe how the room with Naido/American girl relates to the Fireman's place.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I caught the last half of Possessed (1947) with Joan Crawford the other day and it seemed like a Lynch antecedent.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always interpreted it like Albert was loving with Truman. Albert almost beat the poo poo out of Dr Hayward.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever done a group re-watch of anything, but I'm in!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Yeah, he originally showed up in actually in an out-of-focus reflection right in the bottom of one of the oval-shaped mirrors on the walls of the Palmer house. It happens at the very end of the ("normal" version? American version?) of the Pilot, when Sarah Palmer has the vision of the gloved hand of Dr. Jacoby, which I always thought was a little silly in retrospect taking the recently-buried half-heart necklace home to his Coconut of Secrecy. Anyway, BOB's reflection is in that shot where she sits up screaming. Frank Silva was the lead set dresser and kinda got himself trapped behind the furniture while getting things ready for the shot, which I suppose began sooner than he expected. So he crouched down to make sure he was totally out of the frame, but neglected to think about reflections - and apparently nobody noticed at first!

It's frankly a deeply creepy moment when you first see it, no matter how many times you may have seen the show there is something deeply unsettling about the way he ended up in that particular shot. I can see why it inspired Lynch.

And just to say it again, I really am feeling pretty inspired to watch the show from the very beginning and just... Take notes, be an active and participatory viewer without reading too much craziness into things. I recently did watch some of the Pilot again, and there are just so many deliberate and precise details that one tends to ignore when usually watching a show like that, even from the very start. Like how there's actually something of a coherent plotline in Invitation to Love we catch glimpses of which mirrors the events of the show itself in a somewhat distorted/exaggerated way.

On a separate note... I feel like this must have been brought up at some point since Season 3 finished airing for sure, but I can't remember it. In season 1 even, we have the character of Maddie showing up, who is "Laura's cousin from Missoula Montana", but frankly, she has to be some sort of doppleganger of Laura in retrospect, no? Or is it a coincidence that Laura has a 'cousin' who looks absolutely identical to her? I mean.. I know that Lynch introduced the character of Maddy largely because he wanted to give Sheryl Lee more to do, since her performance as Laura's corpse was already becoming iconic. But after season 3, it's very difficult not to look at Maddy's character through the same lens, knowing what we do about Laura's creation and the dopplegangers.

Maybe it doesn't truly matter, I don't know - but it sure does make me wonder what ended up happening to Maddie in the timeline where Laura simply "goes missing" from Twin Peaks. Actually, it seems like the sort of question Mark Frost would answer in a way that leaves little room for wide-eyed dreamlike mystery in "The Final Dossier".. well, I haven't read it but I did read the first one, and while it had good parts I felt like it answered too many questions in a way that was just... not good. I don't think people watch a show like Twin Peaks because they want realistic/grounded answers for the mysterious/mystical goings on, rather they want to be drawn further into the mystery. It's boring if the rabbit hole is just a dead-end, not a path to Wonderland...
I wouldn't read too much into the mechanics of it, but yeah, this cousin who used to spend a ton of time with Laura growing up but nobody knows, and who's parents live driving distance away but didn't bother to come to the funeral, yeah, its a manufactured plot device which is pretty much a doppelgänger. Doesn't mean Maddy has to be made the same way as Mr. C but it's more foreshadowing of the lodge scenes (along with "Jade" and "Emerald" from Invitation to Love). I took it as playing with tropes, kind of like how Catherine's ridiculous disguise fools everyone.

I think we might be minority opinion on this, but I was kind of lukewarm on the Mark Frost books too. They read like fan fiction to me, plus I got a little tired of the whole conceit of them being an actual file.

Anyway, lets watch this poo poo!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t start with the international pilot. Maybe after S1 or S2 if we are going to watch it at all. I think it will be kind of redundant if we watch it right before or after the S1 pilot, but might me more interesting once we’ve seen the main plot take shape in the original series.

I can’t do a live watch party at a consistent time but don’t let that stop y’all.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 17, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It starts later today!

I won’t be joining the rewatch but I’ll be keeping up with everyone’s posts. I recommend going two eps a week for the nadir of s2 maybe

I’d vote for two a week after the pilot... maybe revisit this at S3

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
“My airsacs have never felt better!”

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure it’s not the same actor but the guy Catherine fires at the mill reminds me of the guy that gets hosed up by Sarah Palmer in the bar in S3

E: anyone know if Jacoby fingering his tie while talking about seeing Laura Palmer was an ad lib or in the script. I think that gets grosser every time I see it.

E2: “you didn’t love her anyway” drat Coop, that felt like a little bit of ego seeping through.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 26, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

Rewatch in progress, I'm late to the party.

I never noticed it before, but Audrey Horne saying "here" with air quotes during roll call is one of my favorite gags ever. Can someone gif that?

I was going to mention this one too. She was a little overdone at times in the pilot but this is the best.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

Bobby and Mike are so good at being shithead Teens at the doctor's house
not sure I have the exact lines but lol:

Doc Hayward: Mike, have you been drinking?

Mike: We're all pretty shook up about Laura. And besides, Bobby's doing most of the driving.

Bobby *Drunk as hell surfing on the car hood*

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Twin Peaks's pilot episode is one of the most confident, assured pilots I can think of. Maybe Legion comes close, or (ugh) House of Cards. Usually pilots are very much feeling their way through -- still nailing down the visual style, character interpretations generally evolve quite a bit even though the rest of the first season, even overall tone can change. Twin Peaks knew exactly what it was from day 1. Just a rare thing to see in a television pilot.

I've seen it so many times now, but it's fun to have an excuse to think about why the pilot is so good. The Coop introduction is just amazing, but even before that... I kind of wish I could see it again for the first time, if you know what I mean. Would the framing of that first shot with Pete as he notices Laura's body be as perfect as it seems to me now? Everything, his posture, the wall, just makes it inevitable for him to keep turning back to examine that little spot on the edge of the frame that seems so small and yet so out of place. And the whole build up between the reveal of Laura on the beach to Sarah's scream. I think we'd care about Laura Palmer anyway give the school scenes and everything else, but the choice to use dramatic tension just works so well to kickstart the whole thing.

Also, I don't know if this is a minority opinion or not, but I actually kinda dig the James and Donna chemistry early in the series. I'll try to pay attention in this rewatch to exactly when it goes a little south for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scones are Good posted:

That early scene of Major Briggs being kind of just a standard rear end in a top hat Stern Dad makes me appreciate what they do with his character later on so much more.

I agree with this, but at the same time I kind of love how we're seeing him through Bobby's lens. Think of all the poo poo he's got on his plate, what with the death of his girlfriend, his other girlfriend being married to a scary trucker who you happen to owe $10k for drugs, and trying to plan the death of a certain biker. Of course his dad's going to seem like an rear end in a top hat and his mom is going to seem clueless... Do we think he pulled out the cigarette for parental reaction or did he legit just forget?

At least two suspects put out for us– Leo and the final reveal that Jacoby has the other half of the necklace. And what's the deal with this Jacque Renault fellow? And who's the one-armed man, we've now seen him twice. It's interesting he was in the pilot but almost seemed to be invisible then.

I don't know if I have to spoil this but love that Sarah sees Bob and screams "Leland" and Leland's right there. KIller revealed

Catherine and Ben... They seem so bored with each other but kind of stuck with each other since their home lives suck so much and they've got this shady business going on.

I can't remember exactly what we see in the next couple of episodes, but I'm still loving the Donna and James show at this point. "Fruit Punch". Where the gently caress is Harriet? I feel like she'd be inserting herself into the James/Donna dynamic if only to be an annoying little sister, if not to see if James was another bonehead boyfriend.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

How did the fish get in the percolator? I'm thinking Catherine put it in there because she's the worst.

Definitely my theory, and fits with Pete using her bed to treat his boots with mink oil in an upcoming episode. She seems ready to ruin any fun Pete is having, especially after he sided with Josie at the mill . I've also seen the suggestion that Josie did it to try to keep Coop away as much as possible so he didn't snoop into her background.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite episodes!

“Always... a pleasure”

Doc Hayward being uncomfortable as gently caress hinting to James to get the heck out of his house is pretty great. Add a laugh track and that could have been on a sitcom

“drat good coffee... and HOT!”

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Audrey is literally warming her loins in the fire when she’s talking to Coop.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stray observations from the last 2 episodes.:

Gerrard's turn at "hands up" is really one of the genius moments of the series.

Love Hawk's semi-awkward high-five before they enter the vet office.

Somehow I never noticed the sign to Lydecker's clinic. "Aid to the Beast Incarnate" And this is probably a stretch, but the profiles of the dog and cat remind me a bit of the album cover-like shot of the 4 dudes when they are on their way to Jacque's cabin.

Never thought about it, but James' mom probably posts in Fleshworld too. :(

Also, somehow never picked up on that Ben is on the exercise bike learning a joke from probably someone in the Icelandic contingent, and probably telling that same person that joke back at the party.

It's amusing how Jerry never thinks about One-Eyed Jack's even though he's part owner. I guess maybe he's just letting Ben feel like he's directing things.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Madchen does a pretty good job with her scene with Bobby in this one. "He sounded like an animal!"

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Me too! If not from the start of S2, at least after the main Laura plot concludes (s2 E9?).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see the show when it first aired, so I can only imagine how satisfying that season premiere must have been after waiting how many months after the S1 finale. It had everything. Even a Mark Frost cameo! And just when you feel comfortable with the bad hospital food jokes and singing Leland, how about ending on a Ronette freakout and murder Bob? Oh, it's on! Enjoy your nightmares, America!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't done my rewatch homework yet but I came here to say I just met Micheal Horse at his store and he and his wife are just about the nicest people I've ever met.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't going to ask for a photo but he offered. We took one and then his wife said "Do that thing with your eye". I couldn't see what he was doing at the time but when I got a chance to look at the photo-- Bookhouse Boys sign.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The one I know about is Albany CA (Gathering Tribes). He might have one in New Mexico too?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4GDxrrApvd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A few random associations...

Opening with Coop talking about pushing the pain to a cul de sac made me think of Dougie and Las Vegas.

David Lander (the Tim Pinkle home health care rep) talking about Pine something or other while installing shoddy equipment-- never noticed that. He's definitely a Pine Weasel.

I don't know if it's the writing or the acting, but I've always thought Donna was making up her steamy story just to get closer to Harold for the diary. I maybe remember something about this in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer but maybe I'm remembering another story. Obviously this whole subplot is a little weird, how much did she really like him vs. just using him? And why doesn't Harold do the same double-take the that everyone else does when meeting Maddie?

I will never not laugh at Andy's phone call.

Truman and Coop breaking into One-eyed Jacks is so unintentionally funny. At what point in police school do they teach you to squeeze someone's balls and then stuff a racquetball in their mouth?

Jacque Renault kissing the bloody mouth of Blackie. Did we need more hints that he's a bad guy?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always thought S3 Audrey was a stand-in for overly impatient and nostalgic fans watching season 3. Have you seen Cooper, er I mean Billy?? Start out impatient to get Dougie to TP (to the Roadhouse), but then get confused and kind of attached to the story line. Eventually get your moment of sweet sweet nostalgia “I am the FBI” and Audrey’s dance, but it’s not real, and you’re going to be left with a weird and unsettling reality when you realize everything you were hoping to see is just a dream or another reality or whatever.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The three cops in the Marsh home give me a strong Fusco brothers in Las Vegas vibe. “J-A-G-W...car”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

For those who have already watched the show, here is a really well-argued analysis about identity and nostalgia.

Vampire? This was a nice complement to the 4.5 hr Twin Perfect video.

e: if anyone is looking for a twin peaks video that goes completely off the rails... Twelve Rainbow Trout has a fairly short, pretty well produced theory on the second part of S2 being an alternate timeline how the main timeline of S1 and 2 relate to S3. I'm not convinced but it's interesting to think about. The follow-up part 2 to this video is a 3 hour livestream that's got some rambling and hunting for clips. It starts with an actually pretty compelling discussion about mental illness and abuse in Twin Peaks, but if you make it to hour 3 he's literally talking about how he can see the future and secret societies are using quantum blood magic to control the world.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2020