Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's definitely more accessible than any other Lynch stuff I've seen, but it also doesn't exactly feel indicative of his style as a whole either, so I don't know that I'd tell anybody to watch it as an introduction to Lynch.

I'll have to watch The Straight Story at some point. Honestly, seeing the G rating and "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" makes me very curious as to how the hell he got involved with that because those are two things I would never associate with Lynch :stare:

First of all, Blue Velvet is considered quintessential Lynch because of its subjects of coexisting innocence and darkness, Americana, sincerity bordering on camp, offbeat, absurd humor, and Freudian sex and violence. Lynch's exploration with narrative structure has only been going on since the second half of his career (and I usually cite FWWM as the turning point.)

The exception to that, is of course The Straight Story. Lynch got involved in that because his then girlfriend and editor, Mary Sweeney, wrote the script. Lynch initially had no interest in the project when she was describing it to him, but he read the script and immediately decided it should be his next film. This was an incredibly savvy career move, because at the time his reputation was in the trash after the unfair critical reception of FWWM and Lost Highway. They needed something more traditional before they would allow him to be taken seriously again when Mulholland Drive came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Confounding Factor posted:

I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done.

First of all, you're wrong because FWWM is one of Lynch's best films, and the pivotal moment in his filmography, with incredible performances.

But specifically, the longest cut was a 4h15m assembly. Which isn't as long as it sounds. It's not at all uncommon for the first cut of a film to be twice its final running time.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Blackie is a heroin addict from the start. In her very first scene she complains that Ben is holding out on her, and Jerry taunts her with a baggie of heroin.

No. that happens in season two.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

El Jeffe posted:

Should've brought back the giggling German waitress for the revival

They did, though.