Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Barreft posted:

So the Asian woman wasn't anyone special? Did it need to take 1/3 of an episode of staring and camera shakes to get to that point? Jesus. Then did the whole space climb and her fly off into the universe and he just moseys on back down mean anything either?

We don't know that she was or wasn't anyone special, and whether she's a character we already know (the original series had one asian woman character, Josie Packard, who was last seen trapped in a wooden drawer knob) or someone who will come into play later in the season. Twin Peaks isn't paced like other TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If anything, I'm even more confused about what the rules are for how Dougie operates now because he goes from being childlike to being quick on his feet well-trained FBI agent back to being childlike again.

I'm glad we got to see Coop reappearing to protect Janey, but how does he just turn it on and off like that since it stops as soon as the threat's over? He seems like he's learning everything else for the first time, like he retained almost nothing from Coop, but how did he retain this and nothing else?

Feels like maybe he retains instinct, but not conscious knowledge?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I enjoy TP week to week, but if we look back at the whole season and "real Dale" ends up only appearing in the last 2-3 episodes, I'll feel like the whole comeback was a large missed opportunity. What story did David Lynch really want to tell with "Dougie" by spending so much time with him?

He wanted to tell the story of Mr. Jackpots, op.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

steakmancer posted:

Look at the loving credits for the song

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tammy was low-key the MVP of the episode, she kept up her ridiculous uncomfortable shifting and trying out poses even when she was far in the background.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

the show is called Twin Peaks: The Return

coop isnt returning until the last frame. accept this.

The show is called Twin Peaks.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Well, as you know, Hitler was a vegetarian, and,

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

But that means no more dougie :(

Don't worry, they'll introduce a new running gag where Coop does something absent-minded, Janey-E turns to the camera and yells "Dougie!", and then a laugh track plays.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

The way Lynch uses cheap CG and compositing this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they just photoshop Bowie's face onto someone/something or a character has a flash of a vision where they replay his FWWM clip. Maybe work his Blackstar music video into Twin Peaks as Jeffries doing a strange musical number, lol.

They're going to use a CGI recreation of Carrie Fisher to play him

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remusclaw posted:

They are not mutually exclusive ideas. He could easily be getting exactly what he wants from her in the role. She certainly would not be the first awkward character in a David Lynch project.

I don't know what you mean, I thought "this is what we do in the fbi" was a triumph of naturalistic acting

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I initially thought Coop's return to sentience would be more gradual but with only a handful of episodes left I could see that shock just kicking him right back into Coop mode.

Although in some ways that would feel almost too easy so I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch goes another direction next week.

He's dead.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm glad the show made implicit the fact that Coop didn't mind Janey-E raping him.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

He literally does though. The only difference between day-to-day Lynch and Gordon Cole is that David Lynch is more soft spoken.

Yeah, wasn't there that Naomi Watts interview where she said that Lynch just kinda stands on set with a megaphone and yells at people?

e: yeah 5:30 here, with bonus Lynch impression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLreaAQA9kA&t=331s

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

the mitchum brothers get adopted by andy and lucy

They're going to have to give up on converting Wally's room to a study, but it's worth it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Capntastic posted:

I can't stop thinking about the music cue when Cooper wakes up.

This last episode, and particularly, the restraint in holding off on the music we 'know' from the show is basically a master class of audio design and it really is heartening how David Lynch accomplishes this.

Having almost entirely abandoned the classic Twin Peaks music we have loved for years, so much of the show's overt audio styling being unsettling noise and static and heavy air bristling into your ear, especially in the last 15 hours of film within this season, Lynch truly instills a sense of warmth and familiarity into this nearly divine moment.

The nostalgic homecoming. The theme we associate most heavily with the show. Used like an emotional icepick jammed directly into our hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1JY3tbsmYM

We had an entire scene centred around Laura's Theme in, what, episode 3 or 4.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I assume Tammy's not in the shot because she wouldn't be properly framed up and it wouldn't look all that good. From where she is sitting you'd only see like half of her body, mostly her arm and the side of her head, and it'd take away from the focus of the shot (Albert's sick magdump).

god forbid Tammy be in a frame and awkwardly, through weird positioning, take away from the focus of a scene

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

el oso posted:

I think it's been posted in here already but Coop in E18 is definitely a mix of good & evil Dale.

The repeated shots of first-person driving in the dark I thought made that very obvious.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Relin posted:

every single entity we see in the show is from the black lodge right? so then it's pretty obvious they have a vested interested in farming garambozia and maintaining the status quo (which evil cooper sought to disrupt?)

pretty disappointed chester desmond had no resolution at all

I don't think it's clear if the Fireman and Dido are in the White Lodge or the Black Lodge?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They're in a place that isn't the Red Room, and I thought it was the White Lodge, but when Booper attempts to go there, he gets spit out right at the place he's trying to find (the sheriff's station), so it seemed like the place was helping him out at that point.

I don't know how helpful "I'll spit you out at the place where the guy with the magical glove that I sent to punch you out of existence is" is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Also, I've been keeping some information from you that is crucial to the events that have been taking place for 25 years, Albert. No real reason tho, just didn't feel like telling you.

He talked about it earlier in the season - he had information he was keeping from Albert because everybody else who knew it mysteriously disappeared.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Two birds one stone might mean that Richard and Linda both incorporate the personalities of the two forms they had this season, so Richard is Coop+Boop, and Diane is Diane+tulpa?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

So ignoring the main wtf-ness for a minute, what are we to make of when the real Diane returns? She and Coop share a very passionate kiss. Were they in a relationship? If so, when exactly? Because Dale is definitively single when he meets Annie (at least, I can't comprehend of a universe where Cooper just cheats on his partner without hesitation). So Coop and Diane aren't together when real Coop vanishes, but the kiss is like that of lovers or partners reunited, not friends or an ex (which I'd expect to be more of a strong hug).

It almost seems like Annie was retconned out of the series, except that Hawk actually mentions her in like ep 6ish.

The Diane Tulpa mentions that Coop had kissed Diane only once before the night Booper raped her. But they obviously had a very close and intimate relationship!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Though it's never directly explained, I'm assuming the glass box at the beginning of the season is owned by Booper/the Chalfonts/some other evil Lodge spirit?

As for its purpose, I guess it was intended to trap Cooper/Laura as they shifted between dimensions?

I think it's pretty explicitly there to try to catch a glimpse of Mother - hence the filming and thorough documentation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tiffany posted:

I see a lot of theories about Odessa Cooper being a tulpa or somewhat evil. I think it's really Cooper but he's in one of those lodge induced hazes sort of like what happened when he was inside of Dougie without his memories just less extreme. Plus, he probably thinks he's surrounded by enemies and doesn't know what's real or fake in the Judy diner which explains why he's so abrupt with the waitress and points his gun at the elderly couple and restaurant staff. He's on a rescue mission.

All throughout episode 18, we see first-person shots of driving at night. Up until episode 18, those shots have been frequently and exclusively used to indicate that Booper was driving somewhere.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Does Cooper's ATM card work in the new universe? Does he still get an FBI paycheck?

Luckily, Richard has a very large trust fund.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo guys i think we're getting a season 4 D:

there's no way they would release it titled the third season if we weren't getting a forth. it would just be "the return" if it was a single thing, like fire walk with me.

"The return" was only ever a Showtime marketing thing, the show itself only called itself Twin Peaks. I don't think they broke the news of S4 to the DVD package people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Baloogan posted:

so, what does twin peaks all mean, summed up?

https://twitter.com/soalexgoes/status/922695044980764672

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My Twin Peaks order was S1, Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire, Lost Highway, FWWM, and S3, and I loved it.

The movies may be more essential than S2, who knows.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think Cooper's doppelganger talks to Daria about it on the bed, right before he shoots her in the head.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuzNYbLd9ZU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao
https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/935265869369712641

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

The only bad Dougie is like the two episodes where he’s really useless and the amount of disbelief that is required in regards to nobody being like “what’s wrong with him he needs help”.

Marathoning/rewatching the series really help me contextualise and understand how little time passes. I think the entire thing happens over a week or so?

Like, when Dougie is acting like a complete invalid in episodes 10-11 or so, it's been like a day since everybody saw him take down Ike. People are seeing Dougie wildly swing between incredibly effective (Ike, uncovering the fraud) and incredibly ineffective, but he's not being consistently incompetent.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm assuming that by sci-fi, you mean something like "the nuclear bomb tore open the fabric of reality/a portal that allowed beings from elsewhere to access earth", I don't think that reading of episode eight is subscribed to by many people. What I took from 8, and what I think more people read from it, is still a supernatural (maybe even mythical) reading - that the development of the nuclear weapon was important because it was an act of evil committed by man, which led to some elemental evil(s) being either unleashed or created, and Laura being some equivalent force for good.

It's certainly making Laura special in a way that she wasn't prior to that point, but I don't read it as sci-fi at all.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eshock posted:

Has anyone done a close watch of the blu rays yet to see if the editing changes at all? Specifically on the scenes where we weren't sure if the glitches were intentional or editing "mistakes."

The window flicker on the plane is still there (but we already knew that was intentional since the original stock footage doesn’t have the flicker).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/1041027304682483712

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Never seen Fire Walk With Me, no. I also didn't recognise any scenes from season one or two during my first watch, so a second probably is in order.

Watching the season a second time, with the general understanding of the "shape" of the plot and where things were going, definitely made it a lot more understandable for me.

FWWM is definitely required to really get what's going on, it's a crucial thematic bridge between S1/S2 and S3. Optionally, you may also want to watch Mulholland Dr. for the thematic connections and to get a better understanding of what Lynch is going for/concerned with.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Am I going to need to watch/learn anything before Mulholland Dr to really get it?

There's no homework before watching Mulholland Dr and also no you won't really get it, just let it happen to you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/1047498929607069697

This guy is in business development/indie games for Playstation, posted this a few hours ago.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Roommate was playing Fallout and, huh, 1:45-1:55 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvZE4BY0hY&t=105s

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I haven't seen most of S2 and I have zero regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pentyne posted:

FWWM was frequently unsettling to borderline terrifying. If that what was Lynch is like on his own I can see why TV network execs freaked out over him running his own show.

It was still amazing, but without at least having seen S1/2 it was a bunch of confusing vignettes that didn't really come together. I can see why it was panned as a "movie" because it's technically a sequel to TP in the sense of what it explains and how it adds detail to the series.

Now watch Mulholland Dr. before watching S3.