Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The next seven hours of work are going to be such a drag. All I can think about is the four hours of Lynch I get to inject when I get home ...

e: it's a drat shame CraveTV has no PS4 app. Living in Canada the service is the only legit way to watch (afaik) and I would gladly give Bell my money for this show.

Any other Canucks know whether it's airing on TV at all, or does Crave have a monopoly on Showtime's programming?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mallratcal posted:

Just finished season 2. The last episode was amazing. I really like how lynch uses decrepit old men.
Still need to watch FWWM, but I've got all day tomorrow to catch up.

Edit: Also here in Canada it will be airing on The Movie Network.

Good to know, wasn't sure if TMN still aired HBO/Showtime stuff or if it had all moved to streaming. At least I'll be able to DVR after tonight. Pretty sure my package has TMN.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Check to see if there's a tmngo app, that should also get it for you.

Looks like it's just Xbone, same as Crave. So lame.

e: oh, and 360. they still make you sub to gold to use apps like that? If so gently caress that noise.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 22, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is everything I wanted, and more.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raxivace posted:

It seems like there were a few nods to that in Eps 3 and 4. Brando talking about Lewis and Clark for example, and IIRC Bobby's description of Garland's final days is actually straight from that book too.

Makes me think Lynch was being misleading when he said he never read Secret History.

You musn't forget Frost is also writing the show, and Frost wrote the book. Whether Lynch has read it or not I'm sure references will continue to find a way in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like a lot of people forget that more than half the first season is a meditation on grief, loss, depression, substance abuse, and suffering through unfulfilling relationships. The show seemed lighter because Coop emphasizes the joy you can experience during/in spite of/past the suffering.

But now we aren't in such times. It's rougher, harder, scarier, more depressing.

And Lynch doesn't have to hold back for TV censors anymore.

Very true. A lot of the comfy charm comes from Coop, or the town itself and some of its inhabitants. I'd be happy if the show stays pure Lynch mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just cranked to 11 until Coop gets his body/mind sorted, or until he returns to Twin Peaks, then eases some on the mindfuck unless Bob/the lodges/etc are involved. Cooper's journey should be trippy af.

However the show goes, staying crazy or toning down later, the feel of the original seasons wouldn't fly as well in 2017 as they did in the 90s. So much of that show's tone was riffing on the soaps of the time, and poo poo like Dynasty. I think even if Frost/the execs reigned Lynch in more, it still wouldn't ever feel the same, the show would have to evolve some with the times to work imo. Not unlike FWWM evolving to work differently as a movie. You can do much more on TV now than when the show was originally made, network or otherwise.

At any rate, I'm madly in love with episodes 1-4 and I'm excited for whichever direction or places the next fourteen hours take us.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For all the poo poo Boyle gets (some of it deserved) I do agree her portrayal of Donna was great, especially in that first season. Her reaction as she comes to the realization something has happened to Laura in the pilot, in the classroom, is amazing. Or whenever she went 'bad' wearing Laura's sunglasses. She had some good poo poo to work with on the show and delivered. Shame about her off screen antics.

I do really love Moira Kelly's Donna as well, fwiw. I'd have been happy with her returning instead, but I think taking Donna out of the show was a good decision.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Can we take a moment to appreciate Kimmy Robertson fully cracking during the chocolate bunny scene? She was holding back her laughter so hard, and it was everything.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Different people like different things. News at 11!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Apple Craft posted:

Full captions available through Amazon video.

Amazon video still doesn't exist in Canada, as far as I know.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Le Saboteur posted:

It does but Crave TV (another streaming service) has exclusive streaming rights to it in Canada.

We get Amazon video now? Nice. Maybe it's time to resub to Prime.

The TMNGo On Demand also gets Twin Peaks streaming, but the episodes are on a delayed release.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

e: misread a post. Blame the wake n bake!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I mean you could give somebody a quick plot synopsis and have it make a little sense, but people who have not seen the totality of the series will absolutely not understand a lot of the ways the show works. It's hard to convey that to someone in text. You have to have seen enough of it for yourself to draw real conclusions from it.

Also, an unrelated technical question: I was trying to make GIFs of the show using the GIF making app I've been using for a while (Gooncam GIF Maker), but when I select an area to make a GIF of, the area that records is not the same area I selected. I'm wondering if that's because I'm running a 4K monitor now and the higher resolution is causing this weirdness. Is there a GIF making app for PC that you guys know of that works well even in higher resolutions? I tried one called Giffing Tool and that gave me the same issue (different recording area than the one I selected).

Sharex is great for screenshots, gifs, webms, video etc. Might be just what you need.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jan posted:

The selection is utter poo poo in Canada for now, though. Probably related to exclusive streaming deals, etc. etc.

Yeah, Bell has the rights for pretty much everything Netflix doesn't have. I may resub anyway for their original programming, there's a few decent shows now. May wait until I want Prime to order something quick, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Creature posted:

I absolutely love the idea that the Log Lady managed to get herself banned from the Sheriff's department by leaving gum around.

She chewed pitch gum in the original series iirc, always spitting it out like tobacco, I assume Lucy meant she was leaving that in cups/etc. Not wads of the normal stuff.

e: seconding all guesses Laura Dern will be Diane. I so want this to be true. Or for us to still not meet her in person.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 24, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

business hammocks posted:

She was full-front naked in Californication with Agent Denise like a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Showtime always was on the cutting edge of turning women you remember as kids from sitcoms into sex objects.

Yeah, she was the inspiration for loving and Punching. She played Moody's ex-wife's stepdaughter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

kaworu I love your posts and enthusiasm :3:

Leftovers bruh

Also The Americans.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

steakmancer posted:

Amanda seyfried is playing one of shelley's friends' daughters and is presumably going to be a Laura Palmer analogue

Very good. She was the Laura Palmer of Veronica Mars, so it's kind of perfect if it goes that route.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Did anybody else read Dougie/Coop calling Dougie's coworker out for lying was the real Coop briefly emerging? I've no doubt it was also Lodge powers, what with the green light and all, but the look on his face and his tone of voice felt pure Dale to me.

He always was excellent at reading if people were telling the truth or not, after all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel as though I can confess to you:

When Laura Dern turned around, my hand raised, I gave three snaps of my fingers and exclaimed, 'yas, gurl!'. It's probably just because it's Drag Race season, but I thank Lynch for serving me involuntary gay spasm realness.

Dat lace front, mawma.

e: fwiw I'm loving the Dougie stuff, since that's what people seem to be debating about, I really don't think it's dragging at all. I'm cool with whatever pace Lynch wants this poo poo to go at. Besides, how could anybody complain about more Naomi Watts acting off of Kyle Maclachlan playing a baby?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 12, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ozza posted:

Glad that Lynch is continuing to give the people what he wants rather than what they want.

Hallelu!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm almost relieved Crave doesn't have a PS4 app, it sounds like a pretty lovely service unless you run it out of a browser.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

KillerQueen posted:

I miss Audrey, she did detective things.

Every episode we've gotten so far has increased my anxiety about the possibility Audrey won't be an integral part of the season.

I'm gonna blow such a huge lady load when Fenn finally does show up.

Also I love this season and reading this batshit thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Clickbait gonna clickbait.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It symbolizes death. The horse, I mean.

e: Sarah sees the horse before Laura dies and before Maddy dies. Unless you're looking for something deeper?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 23, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's an interesting and fair read. You could easily watch the show with that in mind, and have it make sense.

It's pretty clear the Lodges/supernatural poo poo in the show is more literal and real than that, but BOB does represent the evil in people so if having it all be metaphoric and not real is your jam, go for it.

Though it gets a bit iffy with Coop's wild ride in S3.

In general, Twin Peaks is far more literal than any of Lynch's other stuff. And even that stuff is pretty literal 75% of the time. There's more ambiguity for readings and meanings in his movie work than this, at any rate. Even this season imho.

Again, we musn't forget Mark Frost also worked on this. Twin Peaks has always been pretty straightforward in what it's about. There's a little ambiguity and questions left unanswered here and there, sure, but not much.

It's super fun reading everyone's crazy ideas, though. I'm more of a 'let the experience wash over me, maybe analyze it a little when it's done' type of Lynch viewer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It definitely fits seasons 1+2 more than 3. With Lynch directing all episodes, rather than a few, it's hard to deny everything Coop is experiencing is actually happening. Especially with the story expanding so far out of Twin Peaks itself and touching so many different people.

e: at any rate I really enjoyed reading that take!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sarah Palmer only ever sees it before BOB kills. Seems pretty straight forward.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not going to lie, when Dougie focused in on that woman's shoes and the electrical socket, I thought to myself ...

That fuckin' goon is right. Coop needs to get his shoes back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the way I see it she's either in some form of cahoots with Dopplecoop, or she's somehow been doing her own investigation of Coop all this time.

Who knows, though. I'm happy to wait and see.

e: mb she's some weird lodge sleeper agent without fully knowing. We still have no idea what happened when Coop/BOB visited her 25 years back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Me, too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

What up people who watched TP before GoT crew

I watched GoT first because I care more about TP fwiw.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of Hornes and safes, at this point my metaphorical nut is going to bust so hard when Audrey shows up, I may die.

I wonder if she just has a very small role. Or if they're saving her return for when Coop is actually around.

Whatever it is, she better show up soon b/c the mystery of who could father such a shitler as Richard is high on my list of things I want answered.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would honestly be fine with that. Poor Audrey tho, gets knocked up her first time by a dude who fucks off after.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty sure people are just saying that he can give consent, not that it's ok to bang someone who can't give consent

This scene with these characters, in a different show or context, I think is a lot more open to debate on the rape thing. Like other posters have said, if Dougie/Coop felt threatened I'm sure he would have denied Janey-E in some way.

It's a man she's married to and has a child with, and is known to have 'episodes' that must resemble the way Cooper is acting, for everyone who knows him to not be overly concerned by his behaviour. Did Janey-E ever have sex with him when he was Dougie and had these episodes? Is that rape? Etc. There are a lot of variables on top of his lack of faculties being magical.

If it was gender flipped, but still the same context of a Cooper-like character who had already established she can defend herself if she's in danger, I would feel the same way.

That said! I have no problem with people seeing it as kind of creepy or rapey, because again the same type of thing in another show or context would be imo a lot more unambiguous on whether it's skeazy or not. If you look at the situation in black and white, without all the little grey bits surrounding it, then yeah it's a woman who has full faculties taking advantage of a man who doesn't, husband or not. I just don't see it as such in this show with what we've seen come before it. If she had hosed him the day he came back I'd be a lot more bothered.

At any rate the arguing about it is getting old. Agree to disagree imo, both views are valid.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

moist turtleneck posted:

I like my blanket better

It's like somebody looked into my brain, at some of my favourite shows that give me the most feelings, and made a bedroom.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Part of me wants Coop to stay Dougie forever, because I want Naomi Watts to be in as many episodes as possible.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Even if it is sexual, I don't get a creepy vibe from the setup at all. Like if there's any loving going on, it's because they want to anyway.

I like the Mitchum Bros. scenes, they have a fun vibe and I love Robert Knepper.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, but it's easier to refer to him as Dougie atm while everyone else around him does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just need to take a moment to appreciate your appreciation of Sharon Needles.

Thx.