Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Confounding Factor posted:

FWWM was a bad movie, an uneven mess that not even Lee's performance could salvage it. Re-watching it again recently only made me feel even more hostile towards it. There's some good scenes and I like that it was explored further with Leland being tormented by his demons (BOB) and the suffering Laura had to endure. The bad "spirits" from the Black Lodge make more metaphorical sense than what was suggested from the TV show. I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done. Oh and Donna was a total miscast.

Overall it was a terrible misfire from Lynch, who is pretty inconsistent in my world (Mulholland Dr is like in my top 3 favorite films, that being said).

Love the original series except of course that disastrously awful run of S2 episodes up to and including the Windom Earle arc.

The new series probably is not going to be anything like the original, for better or worse. As long as Lynch/Frost have much more creative control over the project it'll be pretty drat good, but I'm not exactly expecting a total nostalgic revisit of the original series (a good thing). I'm glad Angelo is back to scoring the new series.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i thought it premiered at 8:00 :cry: i can't handle another hour!!!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

holy loving poo poo

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

is there like no music in this show? there have been several scenes that feel like there's supposed to be music but they're silent aside from dialogue and sound effects and it feels like there's supposed to be music but it's not playing. am i crazy??

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Time Dissolver posted:

Multiple things about episode 4 are depressingly, outrageously bad.

ok

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Barreft posted:

I never saw the original so maybe that's why, but I'm giving this a shot and it's boring as poo poo. I'm halfway through episode 3 and it's just been one big fever dream. Do we ever get a story? Some kind of plot? Because if it's just a bunch of weird poo poo and people staring while not saying anything I'm checking out.

why wouldn't you watch the original first

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A local theater is showing a new 4K restoration of Mulholland Drive this weekend. I just saw the movie like a week and a half ago. Should I go? I've never seen it in a theater and the version I saw was not the new restoration.

obviously yes

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Does anyone have a timeline on the events of the original series? The Peaks wiki has some things down to the day: Laura dies February 24, Leland dies March 12, but is there a date for the finale? Seems like it's about a month.

should be March 25th since I think every episode is supposed to be a day. I'm not sure if they drift away from that in the latter parts of the second season though

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's a shame this show didn't come out on netflix because it was clearly made to be binge watched

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Seeing them 10 minutes apart and not together and them both having the same "skeevy rear end in a top hat" vibe

Yeah I'm not having this be some "lol goons" thing, it was a legit mistake, try someone else

to be fair not only did they look nothing alike but they carried themselves in completely opposite ways

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

yeah i definitely noticed that too and it made me think there was some black lodge fuckery going on with the kid

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

lol wally brando was at worst kind of unfunny and drawn out, but it wasn't even that, because it was extremely good

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Watch it all the first time and skip the stuff you hate next time. No one will ever agree on what the bad parts are.

i think everybody agrees that the james parts are bad at least but yeah i don't understand people who suggest skipping parts on your first time through. don't make no dang sense

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I think all the bands at the end are just an excuse for Lynch to see bands he likes live

I hope Dick Tremane comes back

yeah i think lynch directed a bunch of live concerts between inland empire and now so i think he just put these roadhouse shows in just so he could film them

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the extras were definitely really bad though. kinda took ma out of it a bit until harry dean stanton saved it with his face

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i hope when all is said and done that showtime releases an actual 18-hour movie version of the show without credits for each ep. because i'll sit and watch the whole dang thing at once

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

And More posted:

Cooper saw what the Lodge did to the major,

maybe coop just wanted some sweet 1920s aviator gear?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if you think about it literally every bad thing that's ever happened is cooper's fault

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if the internet doesn't unanimously adopt "coopleganger" soon i'm gonna FREAK

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is the greatest show of all time

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

That's what I was thinking until the bit I referred to in that post. The description given of the "grays" is consistent in all the accounts in the book thus far, and it fits the appearance of the Glass Box Entity (gray skin, bulbous head, large black eyes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_alien

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fyadophobic posted:

I am kind of disappointed by the imagery in the recent episodes that suggests that Frank Silva Bob is and has always been Bob's "real" appearance. I always thought of it as some kind of malevolent, predatory hermit crab that takes on the shell of its previous host. As in, Frank Silva Bob possessed Leland Palmer because his previous host had been the man young Leland encountered at Pearl Lakes, then Ray Wise Bob would possess agent Cooper/Coopelganger, then when he eventually took a new host he would be Kyle MacLachlan Bob, and so on.

However, I can see why they made the choices they did from a practical perspective, and also it's nice that Frank Silva's work on the series can be memorialized and honored this way.

i mean mike does say that frank silva is bob's "true face" in i think the second season

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

His name is bob, does no one think the mundaneness is key to why they're so terrifying whys it gotta be some retarded dr who monster

I think of it all like cosmic horror and our brains can't deal with stuff from so far beyond the reality we evolved it so sometimes it looks like a dwarf slurping corn and these beings are limited so their best efforts to communicate sound like people speaking backwards, reversed

well yes that's how i always interpreted it, i'm just saying that's why bob doesn't take on the form of the last person he possessed or whatever

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Mike

-------------------------
So I just watched Lost Highway the other day and spent the last two days reading some good essays about and its possible interpretations and meanings and such, and while I'll probably rewatch Mulholland Drive soon too, I want to finish off Lynch's "people living in LA have mental breakowns and at least half of the movie is their hallucinations" trilogy, by watching Inland Empire.

Can someone give me some words of warning or advice before I do though? Becuase you see...I'm scared. Horror movies do not scare me, but David Lynch works? Those can, and do. With his expertise on ominous droning noises, and weird, "simple" things like Laura staring at a ceiling fan as she slowly twists into an insane rictus grin, or someone briefly wearing white makeup and black lipstick. Even a completely normal dude in a jean jacket making a silly face becomes genuinely terrifying! I've been non-jumpscare scared by a piece of media for the first time in years by stuff in this season of Twin Peaks, mostly involving every appearance of a Woodsman or the finding of Major Briggs' corpse and the woman's head.

And I hear that Inland Empire is like, the "most David Lynch" of all of his works. I'm GOING to watch it, but I'm irrationally nervous about this, and I feel like it's going to profoundly horrify me even as it entertains and amazes me.

Maybe someone could say what it's essentially about beyond just "a woman in trouble," or "a person in LA has an identity crisis?"

After this I'd only need to see Elephant Man, Wild At Heart, and I'll probably skip that G rated disney movie about a tractor.

just watch it

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

wait i always thought he was saying "bob" in that scene

e: my god

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i just moved and don't have internet yet would it be hosed up to watch the new episode on my phone

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i guess goon faceblindness is real

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

Cool, a rape joke.

a good one, too

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

"talking about rape with regards to a scene where a man who was unable to consent was had sexed on is stupid because none of it really happened idiots" - something awful dot com forum posters, 2017

you're embarrassing yourself

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i was not expecting the mitchum brothers plotline to go in that direction and i'm extremely glad it did. this show is the best

they're best friends now :)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

General Dog posted:

Was that Badalamenti playing the piano?

nah badalamenti is the coffee dude in mulholland dr if you've seen that

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

This is kind of a reach but I suspect that Diane lying about what she saw is related to the backwards talking stuff. Instead of saying something literally backwards she instead gave a backwards account of what she saw.

she a doppelganger

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

kaworu posted:

I think Lynch is actually making a bit of a satirical point placing that absurd scene with Gordon and the Gorgeous French Girl next to scenes of Graze Zabriskie being loving amazing. Remember that the supposed reason for the acrimony between Lynch and Showtime was their annoyance at his insistence on bringing back all these older female characters in starring roles - they wanted him to recast attractive women in starring roles, not bring back all these actresses in their 40s and 50s - the compromise was that he'd case attractive young actresses in NEW roles while keeping the artistic freedom to cast all the returning actresses and his regulars and so forth, and probably an increased number of episodes was a part of this agreement.

if this is true then that makes that sky ferreira scene from a couple of episodes ago extremely awesome

but it doesn't explain that audrey scene :mad:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

in a way it's actually very funny that this was the worst episode of the season because reddit was getting really hyped about it based on tweets from people who had nothing to do with the show claiming that it was gonna be on the level of episode 8

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's a shame that when i binge watch this whole season after it's done that i'm gonna miss those good sarah palmer scenes when i skip this bad episode

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i'm sure that audrey scene will have relevance as the show moves forward but even so it was still the biggest waste of time in a show that had a guy silently mopping a floor for two minutes

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i still love this season but i am mad about that audrey scene

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

You could argue that the scene was longer than you'd expect or want it to be, but the idea that it could be important going forward means that by definition it wasn't a waste of time.

i mean just because you slip a couple of relevant lines of dialog into a literally 10 minute long scene doesn't make it not a waste of time

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

little people need lovin' too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cromulent posted:

and really trying to ignore the episode 13 rumor I read back in May.

tell me

gimme a hint