Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

Anytime Hank, James or Bobby are on screen, my full attention isn't. And I'm already over Audrey's plotline.

I just finished my second watch of the whole series a couple months ago, and when I went through That Stretch of season 2, I just outright skipped over Ben Horne's Confederate general meltdown; the James out-of-town love triangle nonsense; the bits with Andy, Dick, and that kid; and every last loving scene between Audrey and Billy Zane.

Weaker parts of season 2 aside, I think the entirety of the series has become one of my favorite works of film & TV. Season 1 is a great ride start to finish, I loved FWWM, and I suspect I'll be mulling over season 3 for decades. I was a little kid when the show first aired so I was clueless to it all at the time, but reading up on it all, I'm stunned that FWWM and season 3 came together the way that they did.

And I ain't gonna watch any 4.5 hour long video titled "Twin Peaks EXPLAINED", that just sounds like a whole lot of time to spend on something that's beside the point. If I had four and a half hours to kill, I think I'd get a whole lot more satisfaction out of rewatching FWWM and a couple episodes of season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would watching other David Lynch movies like Blue Velvet add something to the Twin Peaks experience?

FWWM is fantastic but if you don't know what to expect and are disappointed by the shortage of Kyle MacLachlan in that movie, Blue Velvet could go a long way toward filling that young Kyle shaped hole in your life.

I watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time sometime after watching season 3, and I was struck by how many themes from season 3 were also present in that movie, down to the similarities in their endings, specifically the twist at the end of Mulholland Dr. and the Richard and Linda twist in the final episode. If you find one interesting, there's a good chance that you'll find the other interesting, too.

e:

Mantis42 posted:

Mulholland Drive is like Twin Peaks in a microcosm. It's a cancelled TV show turned movie that radically recontextualizes itself like halfway through.

Yeah, reading about the making of Mulholland Drive adds to the Twin Peaks experience just as much as actually viewing the movie.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 23, 2020

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I don't have a problem with attempting to interpret Twin Peaks, I just have no interest in watching that one because:

Escobarbarian posted:

Twin Peaks isn’t something that has a magical explanation that ties it all together and if it did it wouldn’t be “David Lynch thinks TV is Bad, Actually”

IMO Lynch has made it clear that Twin Peaks is meant to be a mystery that defies explanation, rather than a secret to be discovered. I don't think there's meant to be a clean, unifying, canonical explanation to Twin Peaks... but if there is, I agree, I don't think it's "this medium is so bad I just devoted another 18 hours to it".

If you get through the end of season 3 and are asking "what the hell just happened", I think you'd get better mileage and have more fun watching Mulholland Dr., then reading an interpretation or two of Mulholland Dr., and then rewatching the opening scene of s3e1. (Edit: and you can do that in half the run-time of that youtube video!)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I agree that there is no one true answer to explain season 3, but I really enjoy the theory from waggish.org that explains it as the Carrie Page universe as a trap to catch Judy. It gives the ending a purpose in a way i find comforting.

I like this one too, but maybe that's just because I want to believe in something that makes the ending seem a bit less bleak and hopeless. I started to come around to this after rewatching season 3 and realizing that the opening scenes of the season directly reference the ending. My take on that is that the Fireman is either reminding Cooper of the plan he is supposed to set in motion, or this is taking place after the ending and the Fireman is reminding a confused Cooper of what the hell just happened. edit: I especially like this theory because it lets you have your cake and eat it too - the show's confusing ending is narratively frustrating but ends on just the emotional note Lynch wanted to leave you with, while the hints toward some modest measure of resolution and closure are presented out-of-order so as to avoid stepping on the emotional impact of the ending.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually remember that Mulholland Drive itself was originally intended as an open ended pilot. There's a portion of it that was added later in production to tie things together into one neat explanation, but that explanation may just be one of several ways the original open ended material might have offered. Imagine if all Twin Peaks ever had been was the pilot with the international ending.
After watching the whole thing a second time through, I think I've come to appreciate that, after being forced by the network to resolve the mystery that drove the story, Lynch and Frost went back two separate times over 25 years and recommitted to making it an open-ended mystery again.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

battlepigeon posted:

Anyone have that viewing flowchart for Twin Peaks? The one that describes the skippables episodes and such.
I agree with the chart that you probably shouldn't skip entire episodes, but you can skip certain plotlines once you're into the red territory.

Basebf555 posted:

The only skipping I support is the James storyline.
I endorse way more skipping than that (I get nothing out Confederate Ben or little Nicky), but the James storyline is the absolute minimum that you should skip. Anyone that tells you that you need to watch the James storyline is a sicko freak and is not to be trusted.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

good news everybody: we finally made it to that most special of days
https://twitter.com/HKSurrey/status/1351922950975463424

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

eSporks posted:

It's a monumentally important day. Also, some guy got a new job or something.
https://twitter.com/botticelli_bod/status/1351975528803168256

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Didn't see the text at first, so I was looking for mittens Bernie

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/HKSurrey/status/1356266590543769600

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

But The Fireman gets what he wants, then leaves Cooper stranded and confused in some alternate timeline.

How do we know the Fireman got what he wanted? BOB was defeated, yes, but the Fireman seemed to me to be interested in more than just BOB.

How do we know that he left Cooper stranded and confused? Cooper appeared to enter that alternate timeline/reality of his own accord, and we don't know what happens to him after the final scene. (Personally, I'm a fan of the theories that the beginning scene in the Return episode 1, where the Fireman urges Cooper to remember "Richard" and "Linda", is either the Fireman briefing Cooper on whatever plan he acts out in episodes 17/18, or is an out-of-sequence scene that takes place sometime after the final shot in episode 18.)

We're all free to interpret it how we want, but I have difficulty wrapping my head around the notion that the Fireman is malevolent or indifferent. My take on it was that he is benevolent, but not omnipotent, and his influence is sometimes limited or opposed by the Black Lodge residents or Judy.

Lord Krangdar posted:

When we actually see that world it is covered in a pattern of dark and light stripes interlocked together. Seems like its implying that the good and evil sides are all mixed together, and inextricable. We never see any reason to think there is a separate Black or White Lodge, that's just something a character says once.

It's not something a character says once. If memory serves, Windom Earle, Major Briggs, and Deputy Hawk all make some kind of reference to there being two lodges. Doesn't Briggs even claim to have visited the White Lodge? If we're going to try and read some meaning into the arrangement of floor tiles, I would argue that it suggests that the two lodges are intertwined with each other, not that we should discard the multiple textual references to there being two lodges.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just rewatched the “Josie turns into a desk drawer” episode and I still get baffled by it. I don’t think it’s ever mentioned again from what I remember.
Look, let's not dwell too much on whether or not the Josie-died-to-become-furniture thing is "baffling" or "unintentionally comical" or "tied back to anything else in the show either thematically or narratively". Instead, let's focus on the wonderful things it led to, such as Harry S. Truman raging at a bottle of whiskey in the Bookhouse

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kaworu posted:

To give you a more reasonable explanation: Lynch had left the show during Season 2 after Leland's story got wrapped up, and had nothing to do with writing Josie into the drawer-knob and found it utterly absurd. It was basically an effort by the remaining writers to do something "weird" that they perceived as being "Lynchian".
I've read claims that Joan Chen had asked to be written out of the show in order to do a movie (which flopped; allegedly she regretted leaving). So in the writers' defense, they didn't wake up one morning and decide they had to do something weird and off Josie in the lamest way possible; they got asked to write Josie out (and then tried to do something weird/"Lynchian" but failed spectacularly).

edit: in trying to google that, I came across a 2017 article on Josie and Catherine Martell not appearing in season 3, and uhhh I did not realize that Piper Laurie takes credit for coming up with "Mr. Tojamura":

quote:

Though she won’t reprise her role, Laurie admits she’s excited to see Lynch work his magic on a new cast. “The best part of doing the show was David’s trust in the actors,” she explains, recalling an instance when Lynch allowed her to take full control of her character. Laurie says the director allowed her to choose a unique persona to take on after Catherine’s implied death-by-fire occurred toward the end of season 1. In Catherine’s absence (Laurie’s name was even removed from the credits), the actress chose to go undercover on set and screen as Japanese businessman Mr. Tojamura for one of the series’ best-kept secrets, a stunt which required four hours of makeup and a vow of secrecy between Lynch and Laurie. When it was finally revealed to the audience that Tojamura had been Catherine in disguise the whole time, Laurie says costar Jack Nance, who played her on-screen husband, was fooled as well. “Jack never got it! He never knew it was me, and we had a lot of scenes together on the first day. He went to David and said, ‘Boy, is that new actor weird.’”
I am... not entirely sure that having a white woman show up in yellowface is the best example to point to when bragging about Lynch trusting his actors

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 9, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

IMO there should be a distinction between a white person playing another race and a white person playing a white person who is pretending to be a different race. Like, was it racist for Leonardo DiCaprio to play a racist in Django Unchained?

There is a distinction - as a lazy example, even the Wikipedia page on "yellowface" has separate sections for a non-Asian actor playing an Asian character, versus an actor playing a character and the character appears in yellowface. I don't think the latter is inherently racist or not-racist, that comes down to context and execution. With respect to the Tojamura bit, my own opinion is that it was a lazy caricature that did not age well, and that's it. (It might've fit the melodramatic tone of the show, but it relied on a false, caricatured representation of a racial minority to do that and that's neither praiseworthy nor a sin great enough to discredit the rest of the work.)

"Racist" isn't a race, so I don't think the DiCaprio comparison is a good one. The most recent situation that springs to my mind is Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder, where he played a character who is a white actor who then appears in blackface. (And even there, Downey and crew arguably get away with it only because the movie attempts to acknowledge the problems with blackface and provide its own commentary on it.)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

Obviously racist is not a race. My point was that a character doing something racist is not the same thing as the actor, writers, or show/movie being racist.

Sure, of course it's not the same thing. But the problem people have with Tojamura is not that Catherine Martell the character did something racist, it's that the writers/Lynch/Piper created a whole plotline based on a lazy caricature of a racial minority. Nobody cares if Catherine Martell acts racist, they care about Piper and Lynch thinking it was a good idea to dress Piper up in a bunch of obvious prosthetics, communicate in nothing but grunts and a terrible Japanese accent, and have all the other characters act like this is all normal and fine and not racist at all.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

multijoe posted:

Benjamin, sure. But Jerry? Come on man

Give them time. I just restarted season 1 and had forgotten just how sleazy the Horne brothers are during Jerry's first few scenes. He's got a long way to go until season 3 Jerry.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

side_burned posted:

This show is about women having their lives ruined by the men they love and trust.

you just started a few days ago and you already made it to Fire Walk With Me?

shoeberto posted:

The show is about a fuckin coffee aficionado in search of the perfect cup and meeting a lot of nice people along the way. That's it. What the gently caress is wrong with all of you.

creamed corn is the opposite of coffee and donuts. coffee and donuts are a communal experience, meant to be shared with those around you, and represents finding comfort in the embrace of your fellow man. creamed corn is meant to be eaten shamefully, fearful that someone might witness you indulging in such a grotesque display

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

side_burned posted:

Honestly that idea poped into my mind while I watched Ed talk about how he is responsible for Nadine losing her eye.

well it's definitely a theme that comes up a lot in Twin Peaks, so if you find that interesting, you're in for a lot once you get to FWWM. (I think FWWM is fantastic, but it is a bit of a shift in tone and storytelling focus from the first two seasons. Just don't go in expecting more adventures of Cooper and Friends and it'll be great.)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

The Klowner posted:

it's actually good and David Lynch is wrong.

:hmmwrong:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

(or more likely 90s baggy fashion is to blame for this illusion)
I suspect it's a combo of baggy shirts and there being just enough arm left at the shoulder that it causes shirts and sleeves to hang away from his torso a bit.

e: I'm pretty sure there are scenes somewhere in the show or movie (though perhaps in special features or deleted scenes) that show a shirtless Al Strobel featuring only one arm.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 27, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

side_burned posted:

WRONG! Josie Packard and her whole family are loving pointless and add nothing to the story.
wrong. The Packard house is where you find Laura's body and get a fish in a percolator. Jack Nance rules and without Josie's life and death you wouldn't have reason for Harry Truman gettin drunk and smashing up the Bookhouse

eSporks posted:

every character is amazing
wrong. gently caress billy zane

edit

roomtone posted:

i'm not trying to defend or criticise his style with this, i'm just pointing out what it is.
to hell with this neutral framing. David lynch rules because he understands that the camera is an empathy machine, and if you're not gonna focus first and foremost on taking artful photographs meant to elicit an emotional response, then why are you making a movie, go buy a thesaurus and just shove your fancy "plot" and "narrative" into a book instead

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 9, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

A scene with her dad, and Cooper when he comes back.

Seeing how adult Audrey interacts with an elderly Ben could be interesting, but I don't think you would get a pleasant scene out of reuniting Audrey with the man who is superficially indistinguishable from her rapist. Once they settled on that backstory for Richard Horne and Mr. C, it became impossible to put Audrey and Coop together again and have it be anything other than traumatic.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Von Pluring posted:

Man he was so good in Twin Peaks. What the hell, that guy from Scream and Scooby Doo?

I think you meant to say, what the hell, that guy from the mid-90s masterpiece that is Hackers?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I enjoyed this:
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1540365224276119552
The bit about how Trent met David for the first time is pretty good

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Just watched Spielberg's new movie The Fabelmans, and Steve definitely got this part right:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Zam Wesell posted:

Ain’t got poo poo on E08.

Saw Oppenheimer with a buddy yesterday, we thought it was fine, pretty good but not exactly mind-blowing like we’d hoped

Then later that night I showed him S03E08 and he hasn’t stopped talking about it since.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Section 9 posted:

2) What movies/shows that aren't Lynch would you consider Lynch adjacent in such a way that you would recommend them to anyone who likes Lynch (and maybe specifically Twin Peaks since that's the thread topic) Not because they have anything in common with Twin Peaks, Lynch, or whatever but just because you feel like people who vibe with Lynch would vibe with them.

For me:
Lodge 49
:hmmyes:

and I don't know if any of Lynch's work was a direct inspiration, but a lot of the visuals in End of Evangelion (the film that concludes the original 1995/1996 run of Neon Genesis Evangelion) make me think of Lynch. some of the wildest poo poo I've ever seen in an animated movie. (the only problem with recommending it is that you need to watch many hours of a big robot anime show to get there, and while I loved it, some parts of it have not aged great and the last third or so was clearly directed by someone who was deeply depressed. in a way, not unlike having to watch many hours of original twin peaks, including some really dodgy season 2 bits, before enjoying the good stuff in FWWM and the Return)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

He is obeying the fireman. I don’t think its so much that Cooper’s decision has universally poor consequences. Rather, the consequences are poor for him. He’s doomed to be chasing Laura across time and space forever, losing his humanity in the process, unmoored from reality, becoming something like Philip Jeffries
this was more or less my interpretation too. I didn't get the impression that Cooper was making some gamble that places the world in danger, I got the impression that Cooper is so compelled to try and make things right, even when it may be impossible to make things right, that he will destroy himself in the process rather than give up.

Coop's final line in the show ("What year is this?") hits me like a ton of bricks because I think of it is the moment where he stops charging ahead just long enough for the enormity of his loss to begin catching up to him. Even if you assume the most optimistic interpretation of the plot that I can imagine (there is some plan to defeat Judy, it's about to come to fruition, and then Coop & friends can know peace), Cooper has still paid a terrible price in order to make it happen. And he was always going to do that, because he's as obsessed with saving the girl and righting a wrong as Captain Ahab was with catching that whale. It's why we love him, and it's why he was doomed.

I think the ending is open to a wide range of interpretations, except on that point - whatever he accomplished, however successful he was in saving the girl or defeating the bad guy, he more or less paid for it with his own life. Maybe Mark Frost has some greater consequences in mind, but I don't think his comments necessarily mean that - I think Cooper's own personal tragedy is all the tragedy you need to make sense of Frost's remarks.