Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Re: Audrey: We already know Sherilyn Fenn is reprising her role in some capacity, so Audrey's kinda bound to show up :shrug: Unless there's time/dimension travel shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought that was the same woman who ordered the hit on Dougie last episode (who was talking to the hitmen and texted the Argentina device with her Blackberry). Was she not?

She had her theme song going in all her appearances, including when Mini-Diesel took out her photo from the envelope. That's why I immediately realized who she was. And then in the hilarious murder scene too.

RIP Mini-Diesel's pick :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

I feel like there's something to that moment looking strange, because it's unique so far in the show. Maybe once we see another person get shot by Mr. C we'll be able to know if that's just an enhancement effect or if it implies some significance.

Does kaworu feel like going though the scene with Darya frame by frame? That shooting seemed normal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Calling it: Dougie's gonna end up on a newscast and someone at the FBI will spot him.

Right? :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I think the line was "exemplified humanity" or something, which I took as BadCoop arranging the betrayal by her, or at least starting the married couple down to this path, and exulting in it, like a gourmand with a particularily refined meal. BadCoop doesn't just kill people, he destroys them from the inside.

Specifically, "you follow human nature perfectly."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That was a really interesting take, Corsec, thanks for sharing it!

If we accept the reality of the mystical aspects displayed, Dougie's (potential) recovery into what Coop was represents a journey of healing and introspection through which he can accept his original flaws? He can't ever become that super-hero he supposedly was, having spent 25 years talking with incomprehensible apparitions, but what comes out of the process is more attune with the reality of himself. The Lodges are supposed to be the essence of spiritual extremes, and Coop has to face it all to become a 'whole' man.

Or, he fails / has already failed and we're witnessing a tragedy of some sort unfold. Time will tell, and we're not even half-way through :neckbeard:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I too was so sure mini-Diesel was going to butcher those cops :(

We're now past the half-way point, and this ep only had a couple of minutes of Dougie in it. Coop isn't coming back any time soon!

One of the symbols on Major Briggs's note was also in that ace of spades earlier, I'm afraid bad things are about to go down in Jack Rabbit's palace :ohdear:

nopants posted:

Roadside picnic also had a golden orb. What will coop do when he attains the orb?

:orb:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Manhattan episode literally had the (presumably) White Lodge vomiting the spirit-entity of Laura to Earth, and people are saying Gordon seeing her ghost is inexplicable and doesn't fit with the main plot line? Are we even watching the same show here?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Those two scenes have visibly nothing in common except for "features Laura Palmer" so... yes?

I really want a scene with a graffiti "Who is Laura Palmer" now

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

Matthew Lillard's head looked like the 2 victims of "mother" from the glass box.

It made a sound like a squished grape though.

Was the vomiting figure in episode 8 also meant to be "mother"? She's connected to the woodsmen and BOB through that scene, if so.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

the gently caress are you guys talking about?

Who cucked "Mother", apparently.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In the Colber' interview with Naomi Watts, when's she's asked to describe working with Lynch, she says he'd always have his bull-horn, even when you're within the distance between Colber' and Watts, when directing. Maybe Lynch just likes being loud? :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

drat dude Audrey looks haggard as poo poo man :( And she still has a young voice which is weird too

Everyone else on the show seemed to age ok, but father time kicked her rear end

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kaworu posted:

Something to note is that when the number above the "socket" is set to 15, it's not actually a normal "female" plug socket, to use rather vulgar terminology.

Oh my loving God

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm in the "when the show is on, nothing else is" - camp, and I like reading the thread afterwards because someone always catches something I missed.

The Ed reflection is real, is what I'm saying :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I am fairly certain it has nothing to do with Twin Peaks, but the line about being the dreamer within the dream reminds me of this.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

That area of the town always looked really out of place to me. At least, the small towns around here don't have areas that look like Horne's. Although I suppose according to the population sign the town was a lot bigger than it seemed.

Didn't Lynch want it to be 5,000 people instead but the producers made him change it to be "more relatable" for the viewers or something?

fake edit: IMDB says

quote:

The population of Twin Peaks was originally only supposed to be 5,120. However, there was a backlash against rural-themed shows at the time, as networks were fearful that the burgeoning urban and suburban population of America would not be able to sympathize with shows set in small farming or industrial towns, so ABC requested that the sign read 51,201. In a "Visitor's Guide to Twin Peaks" tie-in book authorized by creators David Lynch and Mark Frost, a note tells readers that the population was indeed 5,120, but that the sign had a "typo."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I like the show a lot but I've felt since like episode 4 that there's a hell of a lot of fat that could've been trimmed while still maintaining Lynch's penchant for taking things as slow as they need to be. Sorry you disagree.

The obsessive guy with the anime avatar can maybe have a more coherent take on this, but: to me it seems like Lynch's stuff, and this season in particular, is about making the viewer feel stuff. I am still absolutely floored by the latest episode, people in the thread are gushing about how they love the Mario brothers when they're obvious scum-bags, etc. It's not meant to be a coherent, understandable story-line, it's about evoking feelings and thoughts. Hell, having us idiots pour over minutiae in this here thread, even.

If you weren't crying when Coop finally came back, I dunno what to tell you. Dragging it out with the also emotionally wrenching dream-like scenes with Dougie is what did that, to a large extent. The show isn't supposed to "make sense" the way Bones or CSI does, it's about using the medium in a different, more exploratory way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's the good Coop :colbert:

And of course it's Stabler "just not getting there in time", too

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So much of what I associate with Twin Peaks, how it feels, is in the music. Mister Badalamenti did an incredible job making the dream-scape that Lynch envisioned into a sort of reality you could experience, and feel your way through. Twin Peaks is about haunting feelings, and the sound track reflects that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b64KyEFVhg

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 25, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1647974470412390402

twin peaks will never die. it will be re-released in increasingly higher qualityt until the heat death of our universe arrives

To the sound of that scream!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As much as Laura's scream (you hear it now when you read this, don't you?) is a part of us, and maybe even our cultural lexicon, so is Angelo Badalamenti.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

He was always cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRfzodp0IU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

this was more or less my interpretation too. I didn't get the impression that Cooper was making some gamble that places the world in danger, I got the impression that Cooper is so compelled to try and make things right, even when it may be impossible to make things right, that he will destroy himself in the process rather than give up.

Coop's final line in the show ("What year is this?") hits me like a ton of bricks because I think of it is the moment where he stops charging ahead just long enough for the enormity of his loss to begin catching up to him. Even if you assume the most optimistic interpretation of the plot that I can imagine (there is some plan to defeat Judy, it's about to come to fruition, and then Coop & friends can know peace), Cooper has still paid a terrible price in order to make it happen. And he was always going to do that, because he's as obsessed with saving the girl and righting a wrong as Captain Ahab was with catching that whale. It's why we love him, and it's why he was doomed.

I think the ending is open to a wide range of interpretations, except on that point - whatever he accomplished, however successful he was in saving the girl or defeating the bad guy, he more or less paid for it with his own life. Maybe Mark Frost has some greater consequences in mind, but I don't think his comments necessarily mean that - I think Cooper's own personal tragedy is all the tragedy you need to make sense of Frost's remarks.

This was my take, too, more or less. Coop is a ridiculously compelling main character for his up-beat and honest nature, and his qualities clash with the cosmic horrors and ultimately consume him. Whether this is a nihilist commentary on how nothing human can stand up to the horrors is another question, but Coop definitely paid the ultimate price for his sense of justice.

That said, it is also true that Coop brought ruin in his wake to Annie (and maybe Diane?) along the way.