Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

More than discussed. They co-wrote a 400 page screenplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor Who is trash though

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have this, not sure if it's what you mean since it's not a flowchart

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Didn't see the text at first, so I was looking for mittens Bernie

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched everything on my first go through, but I skip at least the James noir adventure scenes on rewatches. Life is too short.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I like to listen to the Idle Thumbs Twin Peaks podcast when I rewatch

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Entire Mystery at least has FWWM and The Missing Pieces. I’d recommend that and the S3 box set with the MultiCoop cover. If only because I think the packaging on that release is really good.

It’s not the cheapest option, but probably the most simple and easy to get, while still looking pretty nice and comprehensive enough without paying for the Z to A set which has become quite expensive.

I have this combo too and highly recommend it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found out that two of my friends have seen and enjoyed the first two series and have not seen The Return.

We watched Fire Walk With Me and the first 4 episodes yesterday and they are hooked. At that pace we're definitely going to hit episode 8 when we next get together and I'm so excited to live vicariously.

Their reaction to the first two episodes was "this is great but it's so dark" and then Dougie rolls in for episode 3

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm up to episode 14 in my rewatch with two friends who are watching for the first time. They're both loving it, I'm glad to say. I do, however, have to report an incident of someone not liking (part of) episode 8. He found the sequence going into the mushroom cloud where the film is all scratched up and burned to be "repetitive and self-indulgent". Also I think Threnody drove him mad.

He's a good friend so no :sever: but he's definitely on my potential tulpa watchlist

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found the ending very satisfying and in keeping with the themes of the return. I'm also not surprised that it was unsatisfying to anyone who was frustrated that season 3 wasn't the further adventures of Dale Cooper. I have heard anecdotally that it becomes much less frustrating on rewatch where some people have found it easier to enjoy the journey when they already know the overall shape of it.

I'm watching the last 4 episodes with my friends who haven't seen them yet this weekend so I'll have some more ending opinions then. They've been loving the Dougie stuff so far so it'll be interesting to see how they handle Cooper coming back.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah that delivery is great. Kyle McLachlan really got to flex almost as hard as Lynch over those 18 hours

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well it's in the credits as Experiment, but there's a stronger case for it being Judy than just about anything else.

What's the case for it being Judy?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I just remember that it shows so much nudity and raunchy poo poo and drug use and then she just gets brutally raped and murdered

it's like the ultimate "yea, gently caress you for letting yourself enjoy this you creep"

Shocked to see that your opinions about film are as incoherent as your opinions about everything else

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've watched the blu rays 3 times now, and as cliché as it sounds, I find something new every time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hughesta posted:

i love twin peaks

I loaned my blu rays to one of my friends, I hope they love it as much as I do

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you're interested in the production side of things, Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks is a great read

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Drinking a glass of cold milk and thinking about Mr Tojamura and the fact that Jack Nance had no idea who was under the make up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It was timed perfectly. Just as you get that weird hollow feeling of "that's it?" from the big climax, Cooper appears and the expression on his face tells you everything is wrong

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've been getting a lot out of watching a director's whole filmography in chronological order. It's fascinating to see which elements of their style and thematic preoccupations change, grow and fall by the wayside. If someone enjoyed the more experimental stuff in The Return I think they'd get a lot out of seeing the roots of it all in Eraserhead, which also has some funny moments

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been doing this with Tarantino, it was pretty good.

The best one for me so far has been Kubrick. Absolutely incredible experience

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Von Pluring posted:

I would say that Denis Villeneuve's movie Enemy felt a bit Lynchian. I liked it quite a lot.

And of course Donnie Darko is some sort of "Lynch for teens" movie. Haven't seen it in ages, though. And stay away from the director's cut, which turns a movie about mental illness into a sci fi about wormholes or whatever.

Donnie Darko has not aged very well imo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Turpitude posted:

Go suck a gently caress.

There are parts that are still great and that dinner table conversation is one of them

And how, exactly, does one "suck a gently caress"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you like the Twin Peaks thematic element of a person being different versions of themselves in different times/contexts/realities and also the wild visuals of episode 8, The Fountain is a good watch. Not everyone I've recommended it to has liked it but Aranofsky's schtick works for me.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

I watched and loved The Fountain several times when I was much younger, now some years later after going through some of the stuff that we all do as life goes on, it's a much tougher watch. The emotions it stirs up are hard to deal with so I don't find myself wanting to watch it, but I think that's nothing but a compliment to the film, that it has that type of affect.

I feel this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The whole season feels so different on rewatch and it feels structured for that. Like that long drawn out car journey, it's completely changed when you know what's waiting for you at the end and what landmarks to expect along the way.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And the sandwich scene is Jerry's first appearance, right? He's back from Paris and brought his favourite baguettes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fwwm was the first Lynch movie I ever saw. I had no idea what was happening but I knew it wasn't really like anything I'd ever seen. I followed it up with Lost Highway and then down the Lynch rabbit hole I went. Twin Peaks the series was the last thing I ended up watching, sometime in the mid 2000s. I think watching fwwm first made me assume it would be much harder to watch than it actually was so I left it till last. Left it so long that Mulholland Dr came out in between my watch of FWWM and the actual series

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jerusalem posted:

My only "problem" with that interpretation is that while I agree it is a fatal flaw of Coop's, I think it's also one of his great strengths and something admirable/beautiful: he will NEVER stop trying to save somebody, and he will NEVER give up on trying for better things in the world. :shobon:

Which is great if you're Coop, and maybe great if you're the person he's trying to save (although Carrie Page didn't do all that well out of it) but he will still roll the dice if it's a 1% chance to save the girl vs a 99% chance to unmake the world. For me, the point of giving that drive to all Coopers was to show that it's not an intrinsic good. The ending shows us that Coop doesn't even need to be malicious for it to cause harm, just misguided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No Dignity posted:

Genuinely one of the most damning things Coop did was undo the state of grace Laura won for herself by the end of Fire Walk With Me. She died at peace and as herself, and in his obsessive pursuit with perfection he sends her back to hell. Literally every woman around him suffers for his gallantry too, Caroline, Annie, Laura, Diane, it's almost like good intentions aren't enough...

Yeah I agree with this, and the multiple Coopers really get us into the nitty gritty of the drives at the core of his personality. As you said, he's obsessively driven to pursue what he sees as solutions, and he's also very willing to give too much credence to guidance by otherworldly forces. Whether it's Dougie being led around by the nose by images of the red room and mysterious lights on paper, Bad Coop on the phone with whoever it was he believed was Philip Jefferies, or Cooper and the way he interacts with Mike (a being who feeds on human pain and suffering, lest we forget). I also feel like part of the point of Freddie is so we can see a version of this without it being dressed up in Kyle McLachlan's charisma or delivered gradually over multiple episodes. There are quite a few moments in The Return where a character or a concept in the show is broken down to its fundamental elements like this (and even as I'm typing this I'm thinking: like the literal breaking down of elements in the core of the nuclear explosion and drat this show is good at connected themes)