Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This has gotta be the crowning achievement of Jim's career, I never really had an opinion on him, and he is ruling here. And the other guy is great too, who was the campy villain on Heroes season 4 and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Feels right to me, but what people want a beloved character to do is a personal thing. I just dig it, the whole Dougie thing, it works. And since the Dougie we've been watching this whole series is Coop, even though it's been a short time, it was like having your formative years over again or something, very in the moment and real, I could see it changing what Coop wants to do with the rest of his life.

In general, everything about how he acted in the last episode to me felt like it was handled really well, and felt inspired.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

handsome only face posted:

blue fuckin velvet had a happy ending

That's how David would want it. Personally to me it is a happy ending. Relatively speaking, it's a bittersweet happy ending, but the optimism and hope he gives us to me is real, though surreal, even though it's not the only note accounted for. Since you said none of his films have happy endings (including Wild At Heart), we may look at these aspects of his films differently. The world is a scary horrible place in some ways, but it's not the only thing, and I think how Jeffrey looks at it isn't a simple thing, but to me it's a positive ending. Especially relative to how dark the film is, and how unrelentingly dark some of his other endings are. If anybody in here hasn't seen Blue Velvet yet, now's a great time by the way!

I get a very different feeling from the ending of this Twin Peaks series. Very saddening and impactful, to me it's a very fitting and great ending. Lynch runs the gamut across his work, even among the surreal noir-ish mystery ones, the feeling here is pretty messed up. Not quite Mulholland Dr ending messed up, but pretty close in a different way. It's just mysterious and awe inspiring enough that somehow it being sad and extra surreal (or soberingly real in a way that we wouldn't want it to be depending on how you look at it) doesn't change my overall view of the vibe of Twin Peaks. Nightmarish, but there's still a morsel of some kind of hope or at least less definitively hopeless in it's mysteriousness. My words kinda failed me on this one, but it ends on a haunting note.

Anyways, this series is incredible, had a lot of fun watching it, and I'm so glad they got to do this. David Lynch knocking it out of the park like only he can, and it's so drat cool that we get this. Thumbs up from me, the series really ran the gamut, very funny, intriguing, surreal, captivating, in all the ways he's always been.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got a green tea latte today, because of that instant classic scene. That's the power of this show.

(also kudos to the poster from September and all the other green tea crew who have posted something similar!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 7, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So glad Lynch/Frost had the creative control.

For sure, beautiful that this happened. Cool that you're digging it! "Helloooooooooooooo!"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

and Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and even more Lynch movies if you haven't! Let the David Lynch flow through you like the force. (he did meet with George Lucas for RoTJ with a funny story!)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DropsySufferer posted:

What single question would you ask David Lynch if you could?

I'd ask about his take on comedy, and how it fits into his work. He's really good at it, he writes a lot of funny stuff, includes some pretty broad comedy in most of his stuff, but I dont recall hearing him speak much on that. You can tell he has a good sense of humor, though he covers such dark and raw stuff as well. The best horror / tension and also the funniest stuff, and rawest emotional stuff, he's got it all.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool! Love comics, and Mike is cool.

Speaking of cool, just finished the audiobook of Room to Dream, that is 16 hours of excellence. Lots of great stories well told, a delight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just rewatched Blue Velvet last night, so good. Still one of my favorite movies. Random note, this is the first time I noticed Jeffrey has an earring. Pretty cool. I've even seen BV on the big screen once, this time watched the Criterion version.

Also, not too notable or anything, but the original stereo track sounds really good. This may be the first time I've heard it, since the DVD had 5.1. Somehow the dialogue having less bass on it makes it sound a little better to me or something.

And hats off to every performer in this film. The love letter scene is way too good. And Dean Stockwell really earned the "And Dean Stockwell" in the opening credits.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome. For sure, gotta be Dean's best character. As a Stockwell fan I mostly see him in one off episodes of Miami Vice and stuff like that. I've been meaning to see Married to the Mob and whatnot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

El Jeffe posted:

Possibly my favorite scene in the whole season.

A masterpiece in every way. It's one I show to people for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

As always with David's stuff, cool to have the different takes.

What I like about the off-putting and shocking ending is that it's all wrong. I don't think we have the information to know why Coop is Richard and what it means, Diane as well, or what's going on in that reality etc. To me that sense that nothing is right is what the ending is.

That said, fun to discuss. I just like that feeling of eerie unknown and whatnot, and I feel that's the point of the ending. I don't think the earlier plot of the season with the Coops is intended to explain the ending.

To me it's that you lose your sense of self and comfort in the world if things are different. And now things are different in ways they don't know or understand.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He does rule in this, as does that other journeyman actor guy Robert Knepper.

I too used to not be into Jim, but I will say, to give kudos, he's great in that underrated 80s movie About Last Night.

Also, on talk of possibly skipping some season 2 stuff. Make sure not to miss the sandwich scene.

https://youtu.be/U6N-YmGuiGw

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Woops! Maybe because people were talking about the Confederate general Horne period, which I still found entertaining. I Mandela/goofed. Just great fun characters to watch all the time.

Take two: no skipping Billy Zane!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to see David Lynch getting talked about. I just listened to that Catching the Big Fish audiobook, cool stuff. Also loved Room to Dream, and watched The Art Life recently too. Getting those David Lynch vibes.

Also aiming to meditate more. Gonna get Coop superpowers. Man David Lynch is cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One inspiring dude right there!

And how about him being cast in that Speilberg movie, that'll be nice to see.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So cool, glad to see you dig the show!

And yeah, just powerful, crazy stuff. I do love the way David has that hopeful stuff. That heart on it's sleeve earnestness, as well as tackling the horror and sadness out there in life.

"Why is there so much trouble in this world?" from Blue Velvet is my fav from his movies, sums it all up. I do think that ending is showing the scary unknowable nature of things, and it's pretty intense. Existential terror. But still I do think it's somehow a more okay cliffhanger than the iconic season 2 one to leave off on.

But it sure would rule if we don't leave off there just yet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

insider posted:

Anyone gone to the actual falls, lodge, diner etc they filmed Twin Peaks at?

I'm doing a two week road trip through the PNW in late September and thinking of checking them out. Worth it?

If I go to the diner and order a cup of coffee and say drat fine cup of coffee how hard will they roll their eyes haha?

You'd level up to the next conscious plane, no question. Gotta do it! May the road rise up to meet your wheels

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone know where these are streaming? I think FWWM is on HBO, but that’s all I know of.

Looks like Twin Peaks s1-2 are on Paramount Plus. The Return is on Showtime, possibly also in some Showtime add-on for Hulu and/or Amazon, haven't tried that.

I use that site justwatch to see where stuff is streaming usually. Blue Velvet for example is on a bunch of stuff, hoopla, kanopy, criterion etc. Or renting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sorry to hear, memorable for sure.

regulargonzalez posted:

Semantics. it's a mental fugue.

That's part of the beauty of Lynch movies, the interpretation and personal things you get watching it. I myself tend to, much like Twin Peaks, I look at his stuff such as Lost Highway as a surreal dreamlike reality, but it is reality to me in the story. I don't tend to look for a real world explanation, since I guess that makes it have less wonder for me.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2022