Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

More likely, it's Tamara Preston.
Possibly, though it's also possible Preston's story will be left to whatever Frost's second book will end up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently finished watching the original series and was about to post in the other thread when I saw you put this thread up. The show has certainly been an experience, for good and ill. I am definitely not looking forward to seeing James in the revival. I'm planning to watch the movie next and don't know what the missing pieces are. I can also say that I finally understand what that Black Lodge game was about.
"The Missing Pieces" are deleted scenes from FWWM that weren't ever released until Lynch loosely edited them into a feature for the blu ray set a few years ago. If you're going to watch it, do so after FWWM.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

So what's the spoiler policy gonna be for this thread? Black out all spoilers for the old seasons until the new premiere?

Also am I the only one who always thought that there never really was a black lodge or white lodge, only the red room area that encompassed both? Hence the black and white interlocking zig-zags on the floor. This would fit a major theme in the show and all of Lynch's work, that the good and bad sides of life are inseparable and constantly intermingling.
I always figured the Red Room and the Black Lodge are one in the same, but I'm not entirely convinced the White Lodge was ever directly depicted in the show.

Maybe the final shots of FWWM with Laura and Cooper are brief glimpses of them entering the White Lodge, but frankly that raises way more questions than it answers.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 17, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a consensus we can come to as to when FWWM takes place? Is it a prequel to the original series or does it take place during an alternate timeline?
I dunno. The novel might imply it actually is some form of alternate timeline, unless Frost just majorly goofed up on multiple points of continuity.

If there is some timeline shenanigans, Laura writing about Cooper in her diary (If she did so) might have actually changed how events played out (Though that doesn't explain all of the continuity errors in the book that take place before the time of the series).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 17, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

But then you miss out on Josie's fate
And you know, the context behind the entire plot of the finale. And also some important bits of FWWM.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stato-Masochist posted:

Wow, this is such a dumb troll. Lost Highway is obviously the penultimate viewing, and then you watch Island Empire. Are you trying to get people confused or....what?
I dunno, the movie is just a bunch of sex scenes and who wants to watch that?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stato-Masochist posted:

I'm Robert Loggia, and you're the tailgater
You've bested me this time, Mr. Loggia. I'll include Lost Highway in the next edition of The Proper Twin Peaks Viewing Order.

bobkatt013 posted:

And since they are the best characters
They're such goofballs and its great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where exactly is the last known location of the ring? Is it the nurse taking it in Missing Pieces?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know why everyone is suddenly feeling the need to spoiler-tag a 26 year old show and 25 year old movie.
There are people watching both for the first time now with the new season coming out and being advertised.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

James is written as a dopey idiot that even Laura makes fun of. The performance matches that just fine.

Of course whether the character should have been written that way in the first place is another question.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.
The only one that is actually hard to watch IMO is Inland Empire. All of the others are more clearly grounded in some kind of narrative and characters- even Eraserhead, mostly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Straight Story is like the perfect encapsulation of all of the good in the world. It's a sweet little road trip movie, but on a tractor.

So of course it would be sandwiched in between Fire Walk With Me and Lost Highway on one end, and Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire on the other.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TV Donna and Movie Donna are essentially different characters but I feel like they both fit in the kind of faux-50's postmodern genre blob that is this series.

Like movie Donna is essentially a secondary love interest from any old Hollywood of the 40's and 50's (She wouldn't be out of place in something like It's a Wonderful Life), and equally as naieve as a lot of those characters are. She just happens to waltz into a Blue Velvet-esque movie with its drugs and orgies and is completely out of place.

TV Donna, on the other hand, is essentially the teenaged version of a Hitchcock blonde (Despite not having the hair to match) but because she's a dorky teenager she can't make it work and is frustrated and angry and jealous of others as a result. The guy she's trying to lead around isn't some suave Cary Grant type either, but an unsexy version of James Dean's character from Rebel Without a Cause.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

nopants posted:

Uh huh, and where do I put my feet?
Through a pair of pants might be a good start.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWWM began with a television being broken. I hope season 3 begins with a television being fixed or something similar.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Isn't the idea that the death of Laura changes her forever, and she almost like incorporates bits and pieces of Laura into her personality after that point?
It is, but I get the feeling that it would have been more noticeable in the TV series had Moira Kelly been playing Donna from the beginning.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I had always heard Twin Peaks was good, and while I was in a used DVD store many years ago I saw they had a copy of the golden boxset with seasons 1 and 2 available. I picked it up for a whim, looked at the cool postcards it came with, and then it sat on my shelf for a while.

At some point later I saw and liked Blue Velvet, remembered I had that Twin Peaks set, and then a few nights later I camped down in my dark basement with the large screen TV and put it on. Been hooked on Lynch ever since.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TV IV > Twin Peaks Revival 2017: "James Has Always Been Cool"

This might have been the most radical thing made for American television in the 21st century. I suspect people aren't going to latch onto it though since it resembles Fire Walk With Me and even INLAND EMPIRE more than seasons 1 or 2 so far IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This loving owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know what's hosed up?

It will be two more weeks before we get a new episode of Twin Peaks. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wouldn't call Leftovers abstract. Like at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

cptn_dr posted:

I'm also super on board​with Chrysta Bell playing TP from the Secret History
It seems like there were a few nods to that in Eps 3 and 4. Brando talking about Lewis and Clark for example, and IIRC Bobby's description of Garland's final days is actually straight from that book too.

Makes me think Lynch was being misleading when he said he never read Secret History.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah honestly I've got no excuse for just flat out forgetting Frost was still attached to this for a moment lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.
Looking back this shitpost I made ended up being a more accurate preparation for this new season than I realized.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Croatoan posted:

My only issue with the revival series is seeing Bobby Briggs with white hair and looking a little old. I'M NOT GETTING OLD drat IT, YOU'RE THE SAME AGE AS ME!
White hair you say?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Consider the following. Bobby...

-Has white hair now
-Strange crying outburst in public
-Had relations with Laura
-Is named BOBby.

Cooper's Doppleganger's Haircut is a distraction. BOB has possessed Bobby.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

He's also the younger brother from Get Out.
Oh wow, I was literally just about to ask if that was him even though IMDb doesn't list him as part of the Twin Peaks cast. They must be slow on updating that page.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Annabel Pee posted:

Did anyone else notice the camera guy from BCS as Dougies assistant also? I checked IMDB and he wasn't on there either but apparently it was him.
I believe that's comedian Josh Fadem. He's been a guest on the Battleship Pretension podcast a few times, and those episodes are usually the better ones of a podcast I usually have mixed opinions on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

genericnick posted:

I'm sorta new to this. Is there any good resource to check if minor characters show up I should remember?
There is, though unfortunately its the spiritual field that binds us all. You must achieve inner calmness in your soul to tap into the vast knowledge the field contains.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has anyone, at any point in their lives, ever known a guy named Chad that wasn't a piece of poo poo?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope they appear again because I could always use slightly more Jeremy Davies in my life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Dougie's son doesn't get horribly killed. :ohdear:

Like watch that be what snaps Cooper back into his old self.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

But with the revival, it feels like... "Getting Dale Cooper Back" is the new "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" You know?
Yeah I've been really feeling similarly to this- though I'm not sure its necessarily about getting Dale Cooper back as much as it is about wanting him back. If the murder mystery plotline was more just a vehicle for talking about how America covers up familial abuse, the abuse of women etc. in some ways this Cooper plotline feels like its also talking about something. I couldn't help but draw comparisons to how like, I dunno, Alzheimers patients and stuff like that are just kind of ignored by society. Like oh I just wish Cooper/grandpa was back to the cool charismatic version that took me out to eat cherry pie and taught me life lessons occasionally instead of this one that only seems to have moments of lucidity.

Like if anything this new season is about painful nostalgia can be...or at least that's my impression at the moment. It's a Lynch project that we haven't seen all of yet so who the hell knows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phi230 posted:

How's coffee? Huh?

Howwsss coffee? Hahahaha

Howss cofffeeeeee? ahahahaha

*Naomi Watts looks in horror
This would own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm often liking the credits sequences. Like I loved that ending shot of episode 5 of Cooper just looking at the statue as Windswept played.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lycus posted:

Nothing against Robert Forster, but I don't get why they didn't just make Hawk the sheriff now instead.
Maybe the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department is racist.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The contrast of the banality of simple upkeep vs. how awful Renault's phone conversation was in the sweeping scene was unironically cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved this new episode but gently caress I was confused by it.

Did "The" Nine Inch Nails summon DoppleCoop back to life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm still a little confused by it myself (A lot of my impressions while watching were pretty close to what Lanz posted so I think I'm on the right track at least) but I'm not sure how this episode was not like anything else in the show to you basic hitler. Like, in your opinion, what was so fundamentally different about the presentation of the Black Lodge sequences in the first few episodes of this season? Or at the end of season 2?

It seems similarly abstract to me.