Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well we already know she was raped by her dad, prostituting herself and addicted to cocaine, so it's not like her being the chosen one made her life easy or anything.
This is also on top of all of the other poo poo in her insane schedule too before she dies.

Like she must have been living 30 hour days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can't say I expected Twin Peaks to go into Stalker territory, but you know what I approve.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like I can't make fun of the silly goons that missed the two coffee cups because I totally missed the dead bodies at the farm myself the first time through.

That Unsolved Mysteries thing owns though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really think it's interesting in episode 9 that as horribly mutilated as Garland's body is, or how dark the comedy of Albert flirting with a woman over the dude's remains are, his actual values and general positivity are still held up as worthwhile and noble. The scene with Bobby and his mother talking about how Garland never stopped believing in him is genuinely moving.

He hangs over the series in a strangely warm way.

EDIT: Like a lesser version of this show would have used how terrible Briggs' death was as a rebuke of his values.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 12, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I honestly think Deadly Premonition plays fine, at least on the PS3 version. Just running around Greenvale, seeing where random NPC's go around to etc. is fun.

The combat sections are basically watered down Resident Evil 4 but it's not the worst thing in the world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

You literally have to stand still in order to aim/shoot, you can't do it while moving, it's atrocious.
This is pretty standard in other survival horror games. That's exactly how it works in Residents Evil 4 & 5 as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Consummate Professional posted:

I really liked the idiot jabroni who got turned into a chess piece.
I like how that dude was Sam Raimi's brother, Ted.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I enjoyed episodes 8, 9, and 10 though to be fair I am actually David Lynch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also it's weird watching Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones back to back with how different their approaches to narrative, even in a light episode like episode 10, are.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

What up people who watched TP before GoT crew
I'm doing a pretty good, though I had a salad and a hamburger for dinner tonight and I'm starting to taste the salad again in my throat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

But how often does there happen to be an 18-hour sequel to what is perhaps my favorite film ever made airing over the course of the summer 25 freakin' years after said film came out - to a chorus of highly undeserved boos from critics and a poor box office, no less? poo poo like that just *does not* happen. I mean I guess it's also a sequel to the series but it feels more in the spirit of FWWM, even with recent silliness.
Honestly just the fact the we're getting the first major project from Lynch at all after a decade is pretty amazing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah that Johnny scene was pretty tough to watch, especially as someone with a severely handicapped family member.

cis autodrag posted:

Never seen it :(
You should check it out.

Kubrick and Lynch influenced each other in some pretty interesting ways.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 18, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zelah posted:

Is this a British thing? I noticed the Diane podcast people referring to visual things as "text". Does that just mean "this specific piece of work" regardless of medium?
This is from a while back but yeah, "text" can also be used to refer to the work in any medium. You see it used like that a little more commonly in academic settings.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd like to see Chris Christie banished to the Black Lodge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I was gonna make a joke about how this thread is the white lodge thread and the GBS thread is the black lodge thread but no they're both the black lodge who am I kidding. There is no light, only darkness
Through the darkness of futures past, the magician longs to see...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaworu I don't have anything to add but I enjoy reading your enthusiastic posts in this thread about this good show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how there were just enough kernels of goodness to Bobby in the original series that it makes him being an honest lawman 25 years later actually believable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dana Ashbrook is only 50 as of right now so it's not that far off.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Audrey scene owned. I feel like in a single scene I got a pretty clear idea of what she's been up to for 25 years.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has there been any word on when we might expect a blu-ray release of The Return?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have no idea what the hell "Danzig" means.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe Sonny Jim only has half a soul because the real Dougie Jones was a fake person.

Only Janey-E's DNA had the genes for a soul.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard if Nadine + Dr Amp end up as a couple
It'll be sad if this happens but Big Ed still doesn't end up with Norma. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The fact that it was specifically a boxing match on Sarah's TV makes me wonder if we're supposed to connect that to "Battling Bud" and by extension Cooper.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WAIT A SECOND

Is the sound at the beginning of each "loop" of Sarah's TV the same sound that the Giant told Cooper to listen in the first episode? The same one that he said is "in our house now"?

EDIT: Actually listening again I don't think they're the same.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 7, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

What would happen if Booper killed Dougie? I want to see it
If you kill Dougie Jones you become the next Dougie Jones.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I gotta say I like Bud a lot. It's like the Straight Story side of Lynch coming in through the head of an insurance agency of all things.

I hope he defeats Mr. C in the ring.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Dale Cooper of the original show isn't coming back. Ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dougie Jones is going to redeem Mr. C's soul by forcing him to drink coffee and eat cherry pie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Dougie Jones is going to redeem Mr. C's soul by forcing him to drink coffee and eat cherry pie.
This is why the Norma plotline is so important. If she gives in to the pressures of capitalism and uses cheaper ingredients, the pie won't be strong enough to purify Mr. C and he'll merge with the Black Lodge and devour the entire solar system.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

esperterra posted:

The only conclusion I would expect to get from this show is an end to Cooper's story, and maybe what's up with Richard. Anything else is up in the air imo.
You shouldn't expect these either tbh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/a7NsR27.gifv

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Captain_Person posted:

Booper and Dougie are so distinct it's almost as if it's different actors at times.
Yeah it's kind of telling that no one has suggested this is the reason that Mr. C isn't the one trying to kill Dougie himself- the logistical challenge involved with with having Kyle MacLachlan playing both parts.

Not that the original series didn't do things like that though I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Look it's not that bad. If Richard asks his local lord nicely enough he might be able to be formally recognized as a proper Horne and gain a proper claim to the Great Northern.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm betting Criterion will get their hands on Lost Highway at some point. Probably INLAND EMPIRE too, but well I'm still not sure that's a film I actually ever want to revisit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really wondering how FWWM will look in a post-The Return world. Stuff like the Woodsmen scene are going to feel different, and I still have no idea what to make of that ending bit with Cooper reaching out for Laura.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah as much as I like the music in the original series it can be seriously overbearing in a bad way at times, particularly with how often that one part of Laura's Theme is overused in the first few episodes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Everything in The Return hearkens back to a central idea- the passage of time. It isn't just a cute a nod to the "I'll see you in 25 years" line from the original show- what it means for such a large amount of time to pass is the unifying crux of the entire season. How and why people have or haven't changed, and what that means. Problems the past generations couldn't solve coming back to haunt and burden those in the present. The way society would prefer to forget about those who have aged or deteriorated, even if they once may have been charming and charismatic people we loved.

It all may not be quite as actively plot driven as the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer in the original series, but there's a very much a point to what's on screen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Murderist posted:

I think the last Audrey scene was meant to imply that she's a fictional character just barely recognizing that she's a fictional character and that the narrative is beyond her (our) control and I won't be surprised at all if she doesn't appear at all for the rest of the series.

"Billy" is Billy Zane.

This is all a tape recording.

Tomorrow's episode could invalidate that interpretation and I say GOOD. Art is cool.
Well, there is that line where Charlie threatens to "end [her] story" too. We'll see where it goes.

Come to think of it there's that creepy line from Sarah too: "God drat bad story, isn't it Hawk?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno what to make of it, but it was kind of a random line that makes me wonder if we'll start seeing more references to "story" like that in these last few episodes.

IOW Murderist might be on to something- their take is one I hadn't heard before at least.