Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Section 9 posted:

1) What would you consider other "Lynchian" films/shows worthy or unworthy (mostly unworthyl) of that tag?
I've seen lots of comparisons over the years but rarely has anything really measured up to that categorization to the degree that I can't think of any positive examples. I've watched a number of things over the years because they were somewhere compared to Lynch, and usually they seemed to me like they were trying hard to be weird for the sake of weirdness. I think my go-to example is "The Oregonian" by Calvin Lee Reeder, but also some other short films by Calvin. Another was "Knives and Skin" by Jennifer Reeder and only now as I am typing this am I realizing there may be some relation between them? Huh...
I would say Bresson. There are some strong commonalities, such as unnatural/unactor-ly performances and intense spiritual preoccupations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I read it as a metaphor for diving into trauma with the intention of fixing it. After Cooper gets unified into a whole functional person, he goes out and tries to solve the wrong that his universe revolves around. He keeps on digging until he's living in a version of it, with everything that he needs to correct things. Like they never happened, or at least a semblance of that.

And right when he is on the cusp of completing his quest, the rug is pulled out. He isn't in the reality that he constructed. Laura is dead, and what he actually accomplished was swimming out into dark waters, alone. Maybe with Laura in some sense, but in that case she is in the same predicament. And something pops, and there is stillness.

And maybe that's resolution, maybe that's him waking up or accepting it. It might have been inevitable that a person like Cooper found themselves there, like a destiny. It seems autobiographical to me, given Lynch's long time with TM.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Yeah, agreed. I think that Lynch has some type A personality stuff going on, and knows that it's a mixed blessing.

Like in Blue Velvet, with the protagonist being a straight-laced young college man type, but that energy also being tainted with a voyeuristic obsession once he gets a taste of it. One that he doesn't understand because he is so straight-laced and intent on fixing things. And Booth seeing that in him.

Cooper seems a bit like an evolution of that. He sometimes wants to treat people like little puzzles to solve, so he can go sit down and enjoy his coffee and pie in satisfaction at a job well done. In a way that isn't alien to BOB wanting to play around with them in less wholesome ways.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, Coop's flaw isn't "he wants to improve things," it's hubris: he believes he (and perhaps only he) can improve these things, and more importantly, he believes he can know, and handle, all the consequences for doing so. He's got the answers and he's going to make things better, except, oops, what he actually has is pride and a haughty spirit, and they come before destruction and the fall.
"I'm accustomed to being more put together and competent than anyone else here, so I can wade into everything and everything will be set right by my being there. Any challenges will just temper my strength and resolve." He did it once when fully entering the black lodge the first time, and ultimately didn't learn even from having his personhood fragmented and putting it back together.