Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Zeratanis posted:

e: Also, what the gently caress is up with that spooky rear end meth starved Voldemort face at the very end?

Did you mean this from right before Leland/BOB goes into the lodge? That's Leland. It's just a visual effect of the lodge influencing someone. Laura looks like that earlier in the film when yelling at Harold & Windom Earle shows up like that in one of the later episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
So far, I am loving the new season. I'm glad that I decided to watch Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead beforehand to familiarize myself with Lynch's other work since I'd only seen TP & Blue Velvet before.

I didn't go in expecting that it would be old Twin Peaks simply due to the passage of time and the Showtime exec's comment about it being "purestrain, uncut Lynch," and I'm happy for that. I think I'd have been disappointed expecting a simple continuation.

I had to break up the episodes across two nights though since I don't think I could have processed all of it at once. The first two episodes felt like a nightmare comitted to film; taking something familiar and filtering it through visceral unease, confusion and terror. The near-absence of music helps to amplify it. I don't think I've ever seen a show or film as unsettling as this.

I'm happy that the Twin Peaks-set scenes still hold some of the charm of the old show, though. Hawk's (ep. 3 stuff) "It's not about the bunnies! ... IS it about the bunnies?" had me dying.

For anyone that read the book, do you think that the thing in the glass box was what (book spoilers) Nixon showed Dougie Milford & Jackie Gleason at the black site? Relevant passages below:

We were looking into a very dimly lit room that appeared to be empty. Then, in roughly the center of the room, I realized a shape, small and pale, appeared to be sitting or squatting, turned away from us, showing only a grayish-greenish-white spiny back. Then it disappeared entirely. Moments later it reappeared, as if a concealing shadow--or a magician's cape--had simply passed over it. But it hadn't moved and I still couldn't tell if it was inert or animated. Whatever it was then phased in and out of my view a second time. The General flipped a switch on the console and tapped twice on a microphone; the sound of which we could hear through a speaker as it was conveyed into the room.

I saw the shape react, stiffen. Then it turned to look our way through the window--it seemed to me likely that it was one-way glass, mirrored on the interior side--and for a brief moment the shape of its face was visible. The glimpse we got was extremely brief before it vanished again, and I wasn't entirely sure of what I saw, beyond a vivid impression of large oval black eyes, pinched to the point of nonexistent mouth and nose, and a smooth bulbous head. Then it was gone.

But what lingered longer than the persistence of the image was the visceral feeling that seemed to emanate from the figure; what clawed at my gut and the base of my skull was a sickly sour wave of such pure and uncanny malevolence that for a moment I thought I might lose consciousness. A paralyzing fear ripped through the mose primitive parts of my brain and I couldn't move, except to glance over at Jackie and I instantly recognized he was just as pole-axed as I was; pale and covered with sweat.
---
The creature in the box, I can't quite tell with its jittering if it has black eyes or if I'm seeing a mouth. Also wondering if the box monster is what BOBleganger is looking for, depicted on his ace of spades.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else notice a green flashing light on Dougie's lying coworker's face before he called him out? More Black Lodge powers?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

I wonder how Tammy managed to get hold of a photo that looks like it was taken inside the Red Room

It looked more like wood paneling behind him in that shot to me. Harry's office maybe?

Random theory: Dougie's ring was put in Garland's (?) corpse to further screw over Coop once he made it back out of the Lodge. Hell, maybe everything else Bad Coop has done is going to be pinned on Dougie.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Twin Peaks is actually a metaphor for working with David Lynch, and Lynch himself. Take note of the amount of actors in Twin Peaks that have worked with Lynch in the past. Kyle MacLachlan is a frequent collaborator of Lynch's, and is thus the main star. It's clear when you consider that Lynch (MacLachlan's director) plays Gordon Cole, Cooper's director. Also, Cole's title of Assistant Director reflects that he wasn't the main person behind the wheel of season 2, where Cole mainly appears.

Speaking of Cole, his hearing loss is a representation of Lynch's refusal to listen to suggestions and direction from others. His projects are his own, and thus Cole hears what he wants to hear. In the new episodes, Lynch's early struggles with Showtime play out in the scene outside the prison with Albert. Albert/Showtime tells Cole/Lynch what he wants to hear. Cole presses for more/Lynch asks for more money, but Albert/Showtime drags their feet, causing Cole/Lynch pain. Albert/Showtime apologizes and Cole/Lynch is back on board. Lynch obviously has a weakness for women ("This world of Twin Peaks is filled with beautiful women") and this is characterized by the fact that Shelly is the only one that Cole is able to hear.

Catherine Coulson was Lynch's assistant for many years, so Lynch has her role as the Log Lady assist several characters throughout the show.

Fan criticism of Joan Chen's wooden acting manifests in Josie literally becomes a piece of wood.

One interesting bit of foreshadowing is that MIKE says that he "took the entire arm off." Of course, Lynch cut Michael J. Anderson (the Arm) out of the show after he made disparaging accusations towards Lynch.

As for the whole debate on whether or not Lynch is a Phish fan or not, I think he made it clear with the whole "fish in the percolator" scene. Phish's music obviously left a bad taste in his mouth.

___:v:___

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Last minute prediction before I check out of the thread:

The not Philip Jeffries that Bad Coop was talking to in the first episode was Sarah Palmer/Frogroach Floatyteeth. I'm basing this solely on the "and I will be with BOB again." Sarah & Frogroach are the only ones that we know of that are still around that have been with BOB.

Goodnight Twin Peaks.

Goodbye Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

They definitely do, I always got some free prints with my orders and back when I ordered a t-shirt they even threw in two free CDs. Not just promo stuff either, one was a full Glass Candy album.

... I hope they didn't just mix up my order. :ohdear:

Yeah, they fill their packages to the max weight before a shipping price increase. I once ordered a 12" single from them and got two free LPs. They're solid folks and I know a goon in NMD's vinyl thread got a handwritten thank-you letter with a package. Hopefully some of you will get their Laura Palmer poster with your orders.