Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a consensus we can come to as to when FWWM takes place? Is it a prequel to the original series or does it take place during an alternate timeline?

Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the last episode Man from Another Place tells Cooper "this is the waiting room", so I always took the Red Room as not being either lodge, or being the space in between them both.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Missing Pieces are definitely worth watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ONLY A FEW HOURS NOW JESUS gently caress

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my fuckin god I can't believe how good that was! I was hoping for swan song peak Lynch and it totally delivered. Hopefully we get Coop back to normal sooner rather than later.

I don't really know what else to say, I'm kinda in a daze, I had such high expectations that it shouldn't have been able to smash them but it totally did

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know which tickles me more - replacing Michael J. Anderson with a tree, or actually making James mentally disabled.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't feed the troll, kids.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just for the first 4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never saw this announced anywhere but there's a second book being released once the new series is over: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-the-final-dossier-mark-frost-book/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just put the bad eps on in the background and was through them surprisingly quickly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh man, what a troll of an ending. Lunch gets praised for a lot of things that I actually don't like, but I love that ending.

the finale of original TP is fuckin phenomenal.

so next is FWWM/Missing Pieces, enjoy your tonal whiplash

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Just for some clarity here, do you at least like Blue Velvet? On the attempt to roast the experimental surreal stuff, I'll just say it's not true to say his fans will like anything. I can't say I'll see Inland Empire a second time (his fully experimental unscripted movie). But overall he's my favorite filmmaker.

Do you like Cronenberg? How about Repo Man or River's Edge? What's the most off-kilter movie or TV that you do enjoy?

Why are you trying to engage with someone who is only here to shitpost and derail the discussion

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wally Brando is obviously objectively hilarious and incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm expecting this to be Lynch's swan song, and I'm completely fine with that. That's one of the main reasons I don't think (or mind) that the Coop stuff is dragging - its Lynchian and entertaining as hell, and the dude's a legend, let him do whatever he wants.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only one I've noticed referring to anything so far is 253, as (ep 3) it is 2:53 when Evil Coop starts vomiting and Dougie gets sent to the Lodge instead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't get the more recent rise in status for FWWM. The brick-level subtlety really doesn't work at all.

Also this video is awful and terrible and I love it http://youtu.be/sv0PAoNFNLU?a

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fun little thing while we wait - what are everyone's favourite and least favourite scenes from the four episodes aired so far?

My favourite (Wally is a close second obv) has to be the intro of Evil Coop, with that loving amazing music and classic Lynch night driving shot. After 20 minutes of mildly unfamiliar oddities this is the moment where my favourite filmmaker came back in force.

Least favourite is probably in ep 3 - the hosed-up woman and son we see in the house across from Dougie and Jade's sex den. Just felt too disconnected from anything and more like Lynch just dipped into his early 00s website stuff for a second.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lynch has always had a big Japanese following. The Twin Peaks cast even filmed coffee commercials for the country iirc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my new favourite quote from the episodes so far is "Jade give two rides!" The delivery is so loving perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
kaworu I love your posts and enthusiasm :3:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel the exact same way. I was talking to somebody about the new Twin Peaks episodes yesterday and told them it was absolutely bonkers that Better Call Saul has been dethroned as the best show on TV right now.

Leftovers bruh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Silly theory that probably isn't right at all but does the # of shovels correlate with the # of trees around Glastonbury Grove

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend pointed out earlier that the noises when the eyeless woman is warning Coop against the device are similar to the ones when the box creature is fuckin Sam and Tracey up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So my friend (who's somewhat of a Lynch skeptic) and myself started a podcast about the revival called PEAKED and I thought I'd whore it out in here. There's a lot of goofing and me explaining some of the references and such. It's on iTunes here and at http://www.hitwithwrench.com/podcasts/.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress discussion videos are you watching where the hosts are checking their phones in the middle of it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never read one and am not sure one is possible. But I'd definitely like to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Dude, his episode notes are on his phone. He mentions it at one point. I prefer taking notes with a pen and paper (and the other guy did that), but I understand taking notes on the phone. He's looking at it so he can make sure they're ticking off talking points.

Oh, is that seriously all? I do that. That's nothing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw, Kentucky Route Zero is one of the best videogames of this decade and Life is Strange is hipster trash (albeit with some semi-decent character work in between the insufferable bullshit)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

what time does it air on tv

Did google stop working on your computer or somethin

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So wait, were Amanda Seyfried's husband and the creepy bar smoker not the same dude? Man I'm bad at faces.

Loved the episode otherwise. I really enjoy all the Dougie stuff - I absolutely would prefer regular Coop back, but the Dougie stuff is still great and hilarious. Shot of Seyfried, Jacoby reveal, imposed BOB face and Evil Coop making the prison technology go haywire were fantastic scenes. I'm legit impressed with Lynch that we actually went back to the kid and junkie mom - I figured that was gonna be an IE-esque one-off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget Missing Pieces!!

Also yeah if anyone could shed light on what exactly was happening with the Tammy scene it would be a big help :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ^^^^ I mean they're hardly polar opposites

I wonder how Tammy managed to get hold of a photo that looks like it was taken inside the Red Room

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

crowoutofcontext posted:

Haha, the best thing about that photo is that its a still from the original series

hahah I knew it! That and the explosion were some really bizarrely amateur moments.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

Yes.

It's especially grating here because Lynch characters are so distinctly unique; how can one see loser druggy Macauley Culkin lookalike and smoking assaulting rear end in a top hat at the bang bang bar as the same person?

Seeing them 10 minutes apart and not together and them both having the same "skeevy rear end in a top hat" vibe

Yeah I'm not having this be some "lol goons" thing, it was a legit mistake, try someone else

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

lmao stop watching this show you idiot

lol goons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That moment with the coffee cup hole really was the best.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep it's the same sound as when the couple are being all tore up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We're definitely at the point where I'm slightly worried that all these storylines won't live up to their potential.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah I'm not that worried. But there's SO MUCH that I'd like to see explored a hell of a lot more than it feels like the show will have time for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wally Brando is amazing and I also liked the Doris scene simply because of Forster's reactions. You really get a sense of how their relationship works. Doris is a shithead though

Just gonna pimp out my TP podcast again as our latest ep just went up. As well as episode stuff we talk about the use of female characters and if all the different storylines will get the time they need and such. It's at http://www.hitwithwrench.com/podcasts/ or search PEAKED on iTunes.

The format is that I'm the fanboy who remembers it all and he's the Lynch skeptic who hasn't watched the show since last decade, so there's a lot of explanation for any other newbies and also debate on the merit of a bunch of stuff.

I won't make these posts if it annoys anyone but I love talking about this show and making this podcast :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After ep 4 I wasn't sure if those guys were hired by Evil Coop or to do with the people Dougie owes money to, but the opening to ep 5 showed they're connected to the box in Argentina thing, so I'd say the former is more likely now.