Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Gordon and Albert are old as gently caress and David Lynch is smart enough to realize it. I think Tammy's role will become a lot more evident when the fbi finally catches up to booper and cooper and they need to take physical action as opposed to investigative action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Just finished the episode and freaking out. If the Roadhouse is fake, what else is fake? Augh

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Is Naido the "real" Diane? They look different but the no eyes / 25 year difference / Diane's blonde wig could make up the difference

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Oh my god Naido is basically exactly what it sounds like when you say Diane backwards

edit: Well, of course, except for the "o"; o-di-an. Maybe they just added the O so it wouldn't be so obvious?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 28, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

So, are the last two episodes actually a single two-hour episode? Or will there just be two new episodes available for streaming next week at 8?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

Re: talk about filler and whether stuff contributed to the main plot

Yeah I wouldn't say there's a lot of "filler," but they do spend a lot of time "fleshing out" some core concepts. Seasons 1 and 2 — especially the very beginning of season 1 — went to great lengths to show how Laura Palmer's death affected just about everyone in the town. This season shows how the existence of Mr. C, and the portals themselves, affect the town and a larger web of people throughout the country. There's a much more obvious focus on good vs evil this time around and it's vaguely implied that the portals influence the balance.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

*final episode, final scene*

*pan slowly to David Bowie on stage with guitar*

*David slowly tunes the guitar*

*David leans forward into microphone. "Test, test," says David*

*David stands up, gives Thumbs Up to somebody off stage*

*David walks off stage, James Hurley walks up, picks up guitar, begins playing Just You*

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

In the first scene of the next episode, Cooper trips on a pebble, bangs his head, and has fully reverted back to Dougie.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Man, I still cant believe that Lynch made we wait 16 episodes to give us Cooper, and that it worked so well and was so satisfying. If someone told me a year ago that in the return of twin peaks we would have the long awaited return of Cooper delayed for 80% of the show, while following the adventures of Dougie the Catatonic hero and Bad Cooper the supervilain, I would say they it would be crap. It was so good, though

I was pretty certain Cooper would be stuck in the lodge until the last episode, and that the show would revolve around finding a way into the lodge to rescue him. I don't think anybody on earth could have predicted Dougie Jones lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'd like to make a Bingo card generator for the last 2-hour episode of season 3. Help me figure out what to put on it!

BOB sighting
Giant sighting
Laura Palmer sighting
Laura's Theme plays
One or more major characters is an Audrey hallucination
Two Coopers on frame at once

etc

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Pine Weasel sighting

oh my god there are so many details i forget about the old seasons

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you have a source on this? I always thought it was Jackson not knowing how to be less indulgent.

They never EXPLICITLY said "the hobbit was going to be two movies," but it's heavily implied by the material included with the DVDs. Read this, it's loving crazy:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/11/19/this-is-why-the-hobbit-movies-were-so-bad

tl;dr: it was originally going to be two films but the studio rushed the project so badly that they had no time to storyboard or plan out stuff like the final battle... without any sort of plan at all, Jackson was forced to just start filming random dudes fighting, and figured they could piece it together later. Eventually Jackson said "this is loving stupid" and they decided that, if they changed the film into a trilogy, it would essentially give them another full year to work on the ending material. So basically, it became a trilogy just to buy them more time to plan it out.

edit: twin peaks is really good

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 1, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I don't dislike the way the season ended, but one thing that bugs me is how much it's like Mulholland Drive's ending, except Mulholland Drive did it way better in my opinion... in MD, the ending actually sets up a wonderful cycle that loops back to the beginning of the film. It's confounding and makes your head spin, but also feels complete. Twin Peaks has the same type of ending where you have the same actors in the same settings playing different versions of themselves in a world that's been turned upside down, but where MD had a closed loop TP has roughly a trillion threads left dangling.

A big part of this is probably length: Mulholland Drive is two hours long, so there's less story to deal with the audience is okay with being confounded. But Twin Peaks s3 is 18 hours so there's just so much stuff rattling around in our heads.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I've always thought that the themes of aging / old age were really thick in season 3, either by chance (because david lynch and a ton of the actors are old) or by design. There are so many characters who are old, sick, dying of cancer, or dead. So many marriages and relationships have fallen into dust. And, in retrospect, the finale captures so much of what is terrifying about growing old: relationships that fade (Diane), a general sense of "the spark" dying out (Cooper's strange, dead-eyed malaise), the realization that nothing is quite as pure as you thought it was when you were younger (Laura is messed up and possibly a murderer), and then finally, your connection to the world itself dying—they way Cooper staggers in the street, hands out, asking what year it is, etc, feels a lot like Alzheimer's; but all old people have the same sensation that the world outside their windows has become unfamiliar. I'm not saying that the show is about getting old, but when you're as old as David Lynch the scariest thing of all (Judy) isn't so much a monster as it is the effects of the passage of time and that definitely impresses on his work.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah, I'm sure Laura's blood-curdling scream and the sudden, violent cut to blackness means that Coop defeated Judy (by knocking on a door and asking a woman some questions about ownership?) and everything is good

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Birth Movies Death has posted a pretty nice farewell / retrospective of Twin Peaks here:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/09/05/bmd-says-goodbye-to-twin-peaks-the-return

Also, Variety talked to Kyle MacLachlan and these were his thoughts on the final scene. Kind of funny that the actor himself has the exact same visceral reaction and confusion as his audience:

Kyle MacLachlan posted:

You’re talking about the last sequence, right? I had a sense, filming that sequence. It’s always interesting to film with David, and then to watch it. Because his edits — he always changes things a little bit for the tempo, the rhythms he chooses to have. Although I will say that he shot very economically, very precisely. So oftentimes we would do a couple takes from a couple different angles and that was it. And he said that’s it, and we’d move on. He’s fully in control as a director, I think that’s absolutely in control. Precisely what he wanted. He’s pretty impressive.

I had a feeling that the final thing was going to be one of those, sort of, hair on the back-of-your-neck-goes-up moments, and people are going to like — if they’re in the middle of a bite of pie, the pie’s going to drop off the fork. It was just unexpected and what, and your mind sort of spins backwards, it was one of those kinds of moments. I felt like that was what was going to happen. And indeed, that was my experience. I was like whoa. Just like, whoa.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 6, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

*8 minute scene of guy sweeping a bar floor*

OH MY GOD ITS REVOLUTIONARY

Nobody's ever said that any one scene is revolutionary, rather it's the 18-hour whole they create that is revolutionary

also the scene is 2 minutes and 40 seconds :eng101:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

antidote posted:

The only effects I didn't like were the Red Room itself. It didn't feel as real as it used to. Were the chevron floors cg or something?

Those floors look really good shot on fuzzy old film. With new equipment the whole room just has a slightly different aesthetic - clearer, sharper, more realistic, but less warm and less romantic.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

eSporks posted:

The original floor was supposed to be straight lines, but the guy installed it wrong

This seemed unbelievable to me at first until I realized that if you simply rotate the tiles it would change from a zig-zag to simple stripes. cool!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

lol, just lol if you don't play "Just You" every time you make love with your significant other