Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm not sure I've ever laughed harder at something onscreen than James doing "Just You & I" at the Roadhouse and using the power of his song to make people weep. So unexpected, I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Only a scene of James & Wally Brando cruising down the road together will make me even happier with this season.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Matt Zoller Seitz on Twitter posted:

"Man has control over the action alone, not the fruit of the action." Actual response by D Lynch to student Q about state of film biz. I love that a major American filmmaker exists who will casually quote Bhagavad Gita as part of shop talk and MEAN IT. Lynch's spirituality is, I suspect, the key to the way he tells stories, especially in projects made during the last 25 years. Lynch presents situations that you're supposed to watch, listen to and then meditate upon. Sometimes they take a while to unfold.

In many, many scenes where people complain that "nothing happened," moral dilemmas are presented, and characters confront truths. It makes me sad when people look at a show as sincerely concerned with the human spirit as TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN & say it's "trolling." American cinema is so completely divorced from even the vaguest IDEA of spiritual struggle that we barely know how to recognize it when a TV show or movie puts it right in front of us and points to it and grins and says, "Spiritual struggle happening here, check it out." That scene with Norma debating whether to use cheaper pie ingredients is about integrity versus profit, and having standards. Great swaths of the new TWIN PEAKS have been about corporate ethics. Sizemore's character feels shame over his lack of ethics. [This, more so than the overtly supernatural elements, confirm that TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN is a fantasy! Execs have consciences.]

This might sound weird, but to find an analog for what Lynch/Frost are doing here, you have to look to Bergman, Pasolini, Bresson. In that video I linked to at the start of this thread, Lynch says European art filmmakers have influenced him most. It shows. Reminds me of @NickPinkerton saying, of Malick's detractors, that they act like there's a whole wave of filmmakers out there working in a Malick-type mode at the Hollywood/mutliplex level, incessantly, when in reality it's just one guy. Malick, Lynch, J Gray, K Reichardt, PTA, Spike Lee & a few others are in there asking basic questions that many label "pretentious." Lynch/Frost's latest is as much theological/liturgical as it is cinematic. They are the country priests stopping by unannounced.

(Video mentioned earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8pN9Cgu2k)

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

5 hours at this show's pace is not very long. But everything is converging on Twin Peaks now - Mr. C and Gordon's crew have the coordinates pointing to Twin Peaks so they'll all be heading there.

But how do we get Dougie Coop there? Likely next two episodes will have Chantal & Hutch arriving in LV to try and kill him but I don't see how he can get to Twin Peaks unless Gordon tracks him down via the ring in Major Briggs' stomach.

el oso fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 10, 2017

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

"Do you recall my business rivals and bitter enemies the Mitchum brothers?" was an amazing line.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

200 more hours of this, please.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I think it would have been cool for Hawk to go to the Lodge but I'm very alright with it being Andy.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

MullardEL34 posted:

Andy has always been this vessel of perfect child-like innocence. Of course he'd be allowed in the White lodge.

Freddie didn't sound like an amazing guy but he's going to hand out an incredible punch of destiny soon thanks to the Fireman so I think the lodge entry criteria is a little loose.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

WILSON!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU??

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE F B I!!!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

What comes to mind as one of the most emotional scenes in S3 for me so far has been Dougie seeing the old Lady Slot Addict at the lounge in Las Vegas.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I love the idea of the Roadhouse MC just introducing random songs with his volume sign and everyone going wild for ZZ Top.

Man, the Ed & Norma and Log Lady scenes were tearjerkers. You can tell how much Lynch cared about Coulson with her send off.

I can't recall at the moment but why did Mr. C want Duncan Todd dead? Was it because he failed to get rid of Dougie?

Was there some sort of CG fuckery going on with the woman who opened Phillip's door? There seemed something weird about her face but I can't quite make out if there was anything going on. And man, that scene at the very end of her just standing there was creepy as hell.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

When he turned into a very large tea kettle, likely.

Also, waiting on the explanation why Jeffries looks like the bell-shaped contraption in the White (?) Lodge.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Section 9 posted:

Jefferies is not the tea kettle. He is the round zygote that is being fed by the steam.

VVVVV I would say it isn't echoing but [oddly reverberating] but the subtitles don't support that.

Imagine trying to make sense of this before the season aired.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The most affecting part of Margaret's/Catherine's goodbye was how the last half of it was delivered directly to the camera, no phone, no pretense.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma......."

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Gonna need about 30 more hours of this, please.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

man nurse posted:

I'm not pleased that this entire season went by with Coop only turning up for the final batch. The Dougie poo poo went on for way too long and the payoff isn't nearly worth all the missed opportunities to do something more interesting than farting around with vegetable coop. Call me a butthurt nerd if you want, but I feel kind of cheated.

You're a butthurt nerd.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Some observations & questions after a rewatch:

How did Jerry end up at the coordinates?
Who were the 3 people who gave coordinates to Mr. C? Ray, Jeffries, and ?
WILSON!
I love the Zawaski Accounting guy.
The ringing sound drew Bushnell away - presumably it's the One Armed Man drawing him away so he can talk to Coop, so is he doing the same to Ben?
The theme song playing after Coop is back, so good.
Where is the real Diane? Was she supposed to know or talk about the Sheriff Station?
Mr C had many backups to kill Coop (Dougie tulpa, Diane tulpa, other assassins). How did he know when he would be coming out?
Gordon Cole seemed to know that she (or something) was coming. I really thought he was going to die.
"You've made my heart so full"
I hope Janey-E and Sunny Jim get a happy ending.
I really love Belushi in this season. Just the look on his face when he gets the Bloody Mary and then slurping it through the straw, just great. The Super Mitchum Bros as fun.
Candie is phenomenal as well.
"Ladies and Gentlemen...Audrey's Dance"

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Richard could have been cut from the entire show. So could the Dumbassassins. I think by the time the credits roll about 80% of the new characters that have been introduced will have had no impact on anything outside of their own tiny screen time. Don't know how I feel about that yet. One more week and I'll know though!

If the screentime is good, then what's the problem?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm very ready for a Julee Cruise Road House performance.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Top 15 new characters this year:

15. Tammy
14. Rookie cop who wants Frank Truman to see his car
13. Freddie
12. Creepy woman outside of Jeffries' hotel room
11. Road House MC
10. Polish Accountant
9. Bill Hastings
8. FBI guy who yells at WILSON!!!
7. Gotta Light Woodsman
6. Candie
5. Janey-E
4. Chantal & Hutch
3. Diane
2. Super Mitchum Bros
1. Wally Brando

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I am aware that David Bowie is not going to sing Sycamore Trees in the finale and yet I cannot stop thinking about how loving awesome that would be.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

More chair talk - when Mike appears to Dougie for the first time and when he appears to awakened Cooper, he (and the Red Room) appear in front of chairs.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Why not just wait until Monday night to watch it? :confused:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

It's crazy how much FWWM impacts S3. Not just the style but many of the major plot points (Jeffries, Blue Rose, the ring, Laura's lost diary pages, etc.) Since the movie was so panned by critics and audiences, you have to wonder if Lynch is saying "Oh, you didn't like that? Well I did, and here's 18 more hours of it." S3 is much lighter than FWWM but it feels way more like it than it does S1/2.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I've been on a binge through S3 this weekend and it does make for a great rewatch, knowing where certain stories and characters are going since so many stories/characters pop up infrequently through the first half of the season. I was always ok with the Dougie scenes but knowing that Cooper awakens fully intact & with memories of everything Dougie went through (eventually) really allows you to enjoy the great physical comedy by Kyle MacLachlan that most of the those scenes end up being. And knowing Ed & Norma end up together (presumably) makes Ed'e absence for so long not seem like a big deal. Etc. etc.

Some of the most confounding scenes of the season are actually from the first couple of episodes: Hawk walking through the woods to Glastonbury Grove while talking to Margaret and Cooper talking to Laura in the Red Room. I'm hoping for some resolution to those scenes in the finale. And hopefully some more clarity on what exactly the endgames that both Mr. C and Jeffries were working towards. And what's up with Sarah Palmer. And 119 lady. And what happens at Jack Rabbit's Palace on the 2nd day. Etc. etc. I know many "mysteries" won't be answered tomorrow night and that's ok, but hoping a few of the weirder things will be addressed.

I just can't wait for tomorrow night because I have no idea what to expect. It could be a couple of standard episodes tying up different storylines or it could be a complete sojourn into the Lodge world - that's what makes this show unpredictable and a joy to watch. Just think about the (maybe?) inevitable showdown between Cooper and Mr. C - it could go so many ways. It could be a fist fight, it could take place in another dimension, it could be an arm wrestle between Mr C and Freddie's green glove, etc. Anything could happen! The back half of the season has been so strong and I have no doubt it's going to be an amazing couple of hours.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Couple of things I'm hoping for clarity on:

When does Coop speak with the Fireman? It's the first scene of the season but he's not wearing his FBI pin and then he pops up in the Red Room right after. Maybe it's somewhere between him leaving Vegas and getting to Twin Peaks. Further fetched - to me the way he says his line ("I understand") sounds more like Mr C than it does Dale so I wonder if that's actually Mr C in that scene? Flimsy evidence to support that but that interesting to think about. Is the info given by the Fireman more relevant to Dale or Mr C?

What is up with Briggs, more specifically his body. Who placed it in Ruth's apartment, why is Dougie's ring in his stomach? I think the only thing that makes sense is Mr C setting all that up to point the FBI to Vegas and Dougie, but why? If not him, who and why?

Oh and what is going on with Jeffries in general :11tea: and that person pretending to be him in episode 2.

The one thing we do know is that Julee Cruise will be showing up tonight :)

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Don't live post - soak it all in and go crazy in here when it's all over. That's what I always do with the exception of when the MC introduced James Hurley and I had to post in all caps in here I was so excited.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Man, next week's finale is going to be intense. Looking forward to the resolution with Laura and Audrey especially but tons of other things I'm sure they'll address too.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

So Chalfont/Tremond were Lodge spirits, making it clear that the Palmer house was still in the thrall of the Lodge. Laura hears her name, remembers everything and screams, shattering the illusion of that world/dimension. But then what?

Also still waiting on gifs of Sheriff Truman's hat getting shot like a cartoon.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

romanowski posted:

i feel like people will see it and just get mad at me

I wouldn't worry, nobody actually watches this show.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Man, Season 4 is going to be intense. Looking forward to the resolution with Laura and Audrey especially but tons of other things I'm sure they'll address too.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Man, getting to see the first episode of S4 was great. Looking forward to the rest of the season to see the resolution with Laura and Audrey especially but tons of other things I'm sure they'll address too.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Is it the story of the little girl who lived down the lane?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Nearly every episode had some reference to dreaming. Clearly Lynch/Frost meant something by it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Also shoutout to Lynch for the quick shot of nipple tweaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I think it's been posted in here already but Coop in E18 is definitely a mix of good & evil Dale.