Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I literally just finished watching Blue Velvet for the first time. Honestly it didn't feel very Lynchian outside of a couple characters, like
and lines like "You put your disease in me."

It's definitely more accessible than any other Lynch stuff I've seen, but it also doesn't exactly feel indicative of his style as a whole either, so I don't know that I'd tell anybody to watch it as an introduction to Lynch.

I'll have to watch The Straight Story at some point. Honestly, seeing the G rating and "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" makes me very curious as to how the hell he got involved with that because those are two things I would never associate with Lynch :stare:

THE STRAIGHT STORY is so good. It's just a nice little character study. Also, a lot of people in here neglected to mention THE ELEPHANT MAN, which isn't really indicative of Lynch either but is a fantastic movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chev posted:

I'm up to season 2 episode 10 and that was a pretty steep dip in quality.

Get used to it until the end. I never really tell people to skip anything, but if there's one show that really deserves it then it's that middle stretch of episodes. I don't remember exactly when Lynch gets involved again, but I think it's only over the last 3 or 4, almost everything before that is...bad

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mallratcal posted:

Watching this for the first time and just got passed episode 15 of season 2. I was hopeful when I saw Albert, but bleh. Onward and upward from here!

It's not even that the show loses its way a little bit. It just doesn't know what to do at all. It's a bunch of people in a writer's room saying "Well ok Lynch is weird, let's be weird as well" without any rhyme or reason to it and it's why you get crazy Asian caricatures or breakdancing or....sigh....James.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FWWM is a great and gruelling movie about sexual abuse. It's also sort of a mess, but I could never dislike it.

It's also not the fault of the movie, but I can only ever see Moira Kelly as Mandy in THE WEST WING, and remember how that show just shipped her away and literally never mentioned her again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

God, I really hope that Lynch finds a way to bring back 'Invitation To Love'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slum Village posted:

Unlikely. That was all Frost's baby and I believe that Lynch's uncertainty about them is why they didn't come back for the second season.

That's actually fairly surprising. Given Lynch's love of duality, I would've thought it was down to him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's funny how in the minutes that pass between S1 ending and S2 starting, Blackie (The woman at One Eyed Jacks) is suddenly a heroin addict. And in the few hours that have passed, Donna has turned into a femme fatale.

Don't get me wrong, I get why it happens. Its an extension of how Laura impacts their lives that even in death Donna is trying to emulate her (She's also slowly losing James). It makes sense that she would play dress up as this ridiculous character, and has this amazing exchange with James about her smoking:

Donna: Helps relieve tension.
James: When did you get so tense?
Donna: When I started smoking.

The only problem is that it comes so suddenly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chev posted:

Got only the final episode left to watch and FWWM. Looks like I'll be done in time.

I'm not sure if The Missing Pieces will play any sort of part, but if you can that's worth watching as well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Blackie is a heroin addict from the start. In her very first scene she complains that Ben is holding out on her, and Jerry taunts her with a baggie of heroin.

No that's her first scene in S2. In her last scenes of S1, which takes place literally moments before, she's perfectly fine. It's just jarring enough if you go from one season straight to the next. But I suppose it's so they can do the whole 'Dose up Audrey and extort Ben out of money' plotline.

I gather this gets really convoluted if you start to include the movie, but do we take it to be true when Leland says that he knows Bob from his childhood?

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

Don't know about the States, but as I understand it, here in the UK, there are the first two hours airing live at some ungodly time of the morning, and immediately when they finish the next two are available for streaming.

If that's right, I assume it must be the same across the Atlantic.

Yeah we get it at 2am. And I think that Sky have said the next two will be on demand as well.

Also, gently caress me, but I didn't realise some of the rot sets into S2 so quickly. Even before they solve the mystery, you got the return of Josie Packard and that story, you got Audrey getting strung out and you got Catherine returning in...disguise.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I haven't poured through too much bonus material yet, but did Lynch or Frost or anyone ever explain what their original S2 ideas were? I know they didn't want to solve the mystery, but would the Harold Smith poo poo or Catherine in disguise, or Audrey being kidnapped still have happened?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

How are we going to handle spoilers, considering that streamers will be ahead of people who are watching on TV? Black bars for stuff that's aired, then black bars with a warning for stuff that's only been on streaming?

I think it's only fair to spoiler those extra episodes as not everyone will be able to see them. It'll mean that some people are going to be out of the loop but that's the way it goes.

el oso posted:

Going to miss these guys having scenes together

It's a shame that he's pretty much retired from acting and has no interest in coming back. Weirdly he was set to return, he was even trying to find the original jacket but then suddenly bowed out of it and hasn't said why. On the other hand we do get Robert Forster so...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

el oso posted:

I'm guessing Forster going to play Harry's older brother, Frank. He is mentioned a couple of times in The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

I would presume so, and Forster was Lynch's original choice but he had to pass on it. I know that reports said he would just be playing Harry, but I don't think even Lynch would do that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Under the vegetable posted:

I like her, but I like movie Donna more. I don't know if it's ever actually been confirmed why she left, I think it's just a lot of rumors.

There's a few reasons. One is scheduling (Same reason that Sherilyn Fenn couldn't do it), one is that a lot of the cast weren't happy to appear in Lynch's movie after he let the show creatively dwindle (This is why you don't get Cooper investigating the Theresa Banks mystery even though he should've been) and Boyle was difficult to work with. Fenn has never minced words when it comes to Boyle. For that matter a few members of the cast have stated that Boyle became tough to work with throughout the show.

For what it's worth, after rewatching it I think that Boyle is great in the show. She provides some of the more resonant emotional moments for me, and she does a great job of a good girl pretending to be something she's not.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

The new 4 episodes are completely in the tone of FWWM insofar as that they are arthouse dogshit for pretentious assholes to wank themselves senseless over whilst Lynch laughs himself to the bank over being able to sell a bunch of nostalgic garbage to morons solely by attaching his name to it.

This man is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

Oh you just keep going and it's delightful.

esperterra posted:

For all the poo poo Boyle gets (some of it deserved) I do agree her portrayal of Donna was great, especially in that first season. Her reaction as she comes to the realization something has happened to Laura in the pilot, in the classroom, is amazing. Or whenever she went 'bad' wearing Laura's sunglasses. She had some good poo poo to work with on the show and delivered. Shame about her off screen antics.

I do really love Moira Kelly's Donna as well, fwiw. I'd have been happy with her returning instead, but I think taking Donna out of the show was a good decision.

She has a couple of my favourite S2 moments. The first is when she's telling a story to Harold Smith (Jeez, remember that nonsense) about how her and Laura went out and met these older boys and how she was trying to keep up with Laura. The other is in the club when Maddie is murdered. She's talking with James and they silently realise that things are never going to work out between them and she just breaks down. It's a great performance.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

vivisectvnv posted:

just get out of the thread bud, what's the point?

Because he simply has to Frank Grimes up this thread that's why.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Alright, I'm now in the lovely string of episodes. Can I just skip the obviously lovely scenes like Nadine in high school and Leo/Shelley/Bobby?

Yes. Once the mystery actually gets resolved the next string of episodes don't really do anything at all. I think the next 4 are completely skippable. Now is when the Windam Earle stuff starts up and it's never that great anyway. I'd say watch the last 2 or 3 episodes and then the movie if you've not seen it.

On that note, I never really realised until recently how cleanly the show actually wraps up if it ended with episode 9. The red room is nothing more than something that's in Cooper's dream and not a real place, BOB is an entity that's just always out there (Albert says maybe BOB is just the evil that men do) and the only actual outstanding mystery is Andy's sperms.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Having seen episode 4 I will say that so far out of all these episodes I reckon you could edit down about 20-30 minutes. I'm still really enjoying it and I love that we get 18 hours of Lynch, but it doesn't automatically make those 18 hours amazing either.

I'm hoping the rest get a bit tighter, but now things seem to be moving in a bit of a direction I'm sure that'll be the case.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

And they say in the show there never was a Robertson who owned that house

No that's right but even right at the end Leland swears again that Bob was someone from his childhood. Leland just thinks he's a neighbour, but the show at least makes the case that Leland was abused and that BOB is a physical manifestation of that evil.

I mentioned before but had the show actually ended with that episode, I think everything would've been tied up very neatly (but of course who wants that). In fact, given the ratings slump it went into, I'm not sure why ABC didn't end it there. That whole episode with Leland's death seems like a finale.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 24, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

I saw a few stuff from the new season, and I liked what I saw....

But now I have to resume my watch of season 2, and probably the entire series, and the FWWM stuff, to (maybe) get what is going on or at least catch up with the mythos.

Season 2 has been my mount Everest. On at least three occasions now I started a watch-a-thon from Season 1, reached the Season 2 mid-part and my brain went "nope, can't do this, man".

Can't say I blame you. Once you hit the resolution of the main arc then... Well there's very little to recommend it.

It's best to have the next 4 episodes on in the background while you do something else but after that start to pay a bit more attention.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It took me way too long to remember that in S2, which I watched again like last week, Cooper tells Hawk that:

"If I'm ever lost, I hope you're the man they send to find me."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

To me it was the doppelganger trying to synthesize normal Cooper's voice and mannerisms and thats how it was coming out.

Yeah I took it more as BOB not knowing how to sound like the real Cooper anymore.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

'Funny' as in: laughably lovely like all of the SFX in this new season as Lynch tries to spend as little as possible of the networks money on the actual show so he can pocket the rest for his retirement.

"But no, it's supposed to look like utter poo poo because Lynch is a genius because other people say he is and i'm a complete loving moron. Who wants to hear my fanfic about what the show is really about?" said most TVIV Goons.

Oh you're still here, doing this.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The 'Wally is really a paid actor' theory is dumb and terrible and is an example of 'I cannot immediately understand this scene, therefore there must be a very elaborate backstory for it to make sense'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

The whole process was :

Lynch: "So what other famous current actors are willing to work on this project and not get paid?"

Production assistant: "Mike Cera showed an interest........"

Lynch: "Cool, tell him to show up tomorrow."

Production assistant :"What's his character going to be? "

Lynch: "I don't care, whatever, just have him do whatever the gently caress he likes. What outfits have wardrobe got that we haven't used yet?"

You forgot to add something about Lynch counting his money and calling everyone else rubes. You're slipping bro.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There's a pretty good discussion on the Idle Thumbs TWIN PEAKS podcast regarding the effects. There are moments of pretty seamless effects, so the use of blatantly fake ones seems purposeful. It can be a copout excuse, but Lynch has always had an obsession with artifice.

I guess the argument is that something that is blatantly artificial should look that way. We're taught that for an effect to be impactful then it should look as real as possible (And certainly that's true for something like IRON MAN) but I think it throws us off completely when something looks completely artificial.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

chime_on posted:

That establishing NYC shot was really cool, but it should be noted that Lynch didn't shoot that. It's just stock footage.

That's not stock footage.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I believe that in the scripted/deleted scenes, Denise states that she's awaiting surgery, so the intention was there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't think the body is of Major Briggs, Bobby mentions that his dad died not long after the original show ended right?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

2 questions:

1 - are there any really good / worthwhile TP podcasts?

FIRE TALK WITH ME is a great one. They have a lot of famous-ish guests on as well to talk about the show. They go episode by episode through it, but the great thing is that Allie Goertz had never seen an episode and didn't know who the killer was, so it's really interesting to hear that perspective (For a lot of the show she thinks that Ben Horne did it, which is interesting).

Also it's nice that the internet didn't spoil it for her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

GimpChimp posted:

I always thought that was about the saddest part of the film, that Diane on some buried level already knows she's going to kill herself and there'll be no-one concerned enough for her to even find her there. She still has the dreams of being wanted, but now they're torturous.

In general though I'm a little reluctant to outright explain Mulholland Drive to first time viewers, given the clues are in there. What worked for me was seeing Lost Highway as a kid, enjoying it despite having no loving idea what was happening, then seeing Mulholland Drive and understanding them both, given they're essentially variations on the same idea. Personally I think Mulholland Drive has the edge: it's structured a little better, has more tragic dimension and is lent more substance by engaging with Hollywood as image factory / home of the casting couch, but LH is still great and people should definitely see each one.

Lost Highway never got an outright list of clues like Mulholland Drive, but I would say the key lines are why Fred doesn't like videotapes, and what they do in the Far East.

I saw an article the other day calling it Lynch's impenetrable masterpiece, when to me it feels completely straightforward, but in a way that people clearly think is disarming somehow.

I think that LOST HIGHWAY takes that title, since it's much more deliberately obtuse in that regard (And makes more sense when Patricia Arquette said that it was Lynch's take on the OJ Simpson murder).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can confirm that seeing the new Mulholland Drive 4K restoration in a theater totally owns. Also it's a great idea to watch that movie again soon after you've seen it because then on your second viewing you can piece together the timeline much clearer after you find out what happens in the last act of your first viewing (seeing it a week and a half ago was not my first viewing but rather my first viewing in a really long time).
Cool! I've been hoping to find a good podcast that talks about the new season as it airs, so I will definitely check this out :)

Both FIRE TALK WITH ME and TWIN PEAKS REWATCH are now doing weekly episodes. Both are good for different reasons, but there's a lot of great discussion in TWIN PEAKS REWATCH over the last two episodes (They also discuss The Missing Pieces).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

kaworu posted:

Just on a side note I don't know how you guys can stand those podcasts, I mean, I could dig it if I had some horrible menial work I could mindlessly focus on while listening, but like I don't... I was watching a youtube video of a couple guys discussing episode 3, and like, one of them has his loving phone out and is checking whatever on it while either the other guy was talking and saynig nothing at the same time or while he was doing it. And it's just like, gently caress. It's aggravating enough to have people doing poo poo on their phones all the time around you in real life but I don't have the loving time for this podcast crap that's going over info I can suss out in a fraction of the time it takes these gently caress-ups to summarize the episode and then try winding their head around whether there might be some sort of metaphor in the episode :rolleyes: I'd post the rolling eyes emoticon vomiting up smaller rolling eyes emoticons, if I could.

Dude, his episode notes are on his phone. He mentions it at one point. I prefer taking notes with a pen and paper (and the other guy did that), but I understand taking notes on the phone. He's looking at it so he can make sure they're ticking off talking points.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah that FWWM edit is kind of a misfire. Just because it was in the shooting script, doesn't mean that Lynch intended to use it all. I do think the scenes with Jeffries work a lot better if you have those additional moments in there, but nothing after that is definitely needed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think there's some confusion over the Briggs thing. In the Pentagon they say that his prints have been flagged again right? And they say that "If it's him - and it won't be", but that to be seems to imply that for whatever reason, his prints keep getting flagged on bodies that aren't him.

If they just said oh this is the first time in 25 years then that would be different, but their conversation says that this has been happening multiple times.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Acting aside, I think the disconnect between the character in the book and show is that Frost clearly wrote the book after they were done scripting. It's just ancillary media really and while there's clearly going to be little hints and connections in the book, they're going to be separate from one another (Like the Dale Cooper book that breaks continuity).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

nopants posted:

did the girl find the penny before or after we first saw the woodsman that looked suspiciously like abraham lincoln?

It gets intercut with the couple on the road. So it's around the same time. What is worth noting is that isn't it a penny that Red is flipping when he meets the young Horne kid?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

She also rubs the penny in a way sorta similar to Coop Mr. Jackpots when he's doing his HELLLOOOO-OOOOHHH thing.

It's a dime.

My bad, I know nothing of US currency.

Anyway, I think some people might be taking the Good/Evil stuff a tad too literally and feel that it diminishes FIRE WALK WITH ME. I can see that point but I don't think it's quite true. As seemingly abstract as that whole sequence was, there's clear thought behind it. The detonation of the bomb unleashes a specific type of evil, which is the evil that men do. That's literally what Bob is throughout the series (I mean, Albert outright says it in Season 2). So with that, I don't think it weakens the events of the show or the movie. I think that aspect of it still holds up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Albert says, "Maybe that's all BOB is. The evil that men do. Maybe it doesn't matter what we call it." I'm pretty sure he's trying to be reassuring in this scene, not claiming any degree of certainty. And he tends toward the material rather than the supernatural (a foil for Cooper, in that sense).

Well no, I'm not saying that the show used Albert to literally explain things, but the idea doesn't just exist in a vacuum either. Bob is a very specific type of entity and I feel like the sequence last night doubles down on that. A man-created evil unleashing Bob into the world is not accidental or unrelated. And I think people saying things like the bomb created a rift to another dimension, or aliens etc are missing the woods for the trees a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The NiN scene works fine as it's a little overture for what comes next.