Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For what it's worth I think Lynch has said the book isn't needed. As it is, the book was clearly written by Frost after the show was scripted and it's his attempt to weave it all together. I like the book, but a lot of it feels like notes him and Lynch might've made together without intending it to be in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cromulent posted:

Does anyone remember when Cooper stopped talking to Diane via tape in the original run? I don't know why I was thinking of that, but I can't really remember when they stopped.

I believe that the audiobook of Cooper's tapes ends with the first episode of S2 but I don't remember him using it after that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Part of that was due to Donna not even giving a poo poo because she inexplicably becomes a pretty bad character in season 2

I always liked S2 Donna, well, right up until the mystery is solved anyway.

It's a little abrupt (Given that it happens overnight) but I think her change from Donna into bad-girl Donna is one of the more understandably human moments the characters have. There's an interesting thread through the show about the 'kids' pretending to be something they're not. Donna, Audrey and Bobby all play act at being someone else and it never really works out that well. Also, I realised that outside of Cooper, Donna is the one who does the most legwork on the Laura Palmer case.

James stays James though because he's always been cool.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I thought "Oh thank god" when Bobby passed off the gun couple to the other deputy and said he was gonna get that woman to stop honking her horn. And then, all that happened instead.

It was such a great sequence, the whole diner scene. First your daughter is a wreck and is possibly (read: is definitely) getting abused by her poo poo husband, then your ex wife goes macking on some weirdo, then sudden gunshots, then this woman incessantly honking. It was just 5 minutes of pure anxiety piling on over and over.

I thought Dana Ashbrook was great in that scene. I didn't know that I wanted Bobby to be the heart of TWIN PEAKS but here we are. He knows better than anyone that you can't force people to change, so he has to sit back and hope that people will resolve their poo poo and it's all written across his face.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

wa27 posted:

Bobby, Gordon, and Albert are all standouts for me that I didn't really expect this season.

edit: was the "want to come see my new car" officer the same guy who said "I heard shots!" to Bobby on the street?

Yeah it's the same guy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

General Dog posted:

Jim Belushi can be a very decent character actor, he was pretty good in Show Me a Hero a couple of years back.

He was always a better dramatic actor than he was 'comedian'. His biggest early roles were all dramatic. It's clear at some point someone told him he was a Belushi so he should do comedy and he listened to them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It was great to see Sherilyn Fenn change completely and so easily slip back into Audrey Horne mode.

So, if we accept that the ringing sound was to get Bushnell out of the hospital room, then why is it also ringing in the Great Northern? Possibly, nonsensical theory, if Audrey is in a coma then maybe that's where she's 'living' and the constant ringing is an effort to get her to wake up. Might also explain why Ben Horne has seemingly changed his ways since his comatose daughter is living in his hotel.

It's been great watching the Mitchum Brothers, I loved their "What's this crazy Dougie up to now?" when they're told to fire up the plane.

Finally, as for the rape thing, I think the show clearly posits it early on so when it is confirmed it's not treated as this major revelation. By contrast, GoT last night took something that people have clearly figured out and treats it like a big game changer as did WESTWORLD, only it was more embarrassing for that show because it monologues for about 10 minutes about something that most people had figured out hours before.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 28, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

My only real complaint is the Audrey stuff. If it was never going to be addressed again I think it might've been better to leave things as a weird, poorly acted melodrama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

RBX posted:

Him and Diane is a real mystery because in seasons 1 & 2 they sound nothing like a long time couple. I thought maybe she was his girl but it was pretty vague. Now all of a sudden they're casually tounging each other down? All of that felt like something was missing.

I think we're supposed to infer that there's always been this unspoken thing between them. It makes his tapes to Diane a sort of series of letters from a lover almost.

However, in hindsight it reads much more like Cooper again trying to undo the damage that has been done. It feels like Cooper is trying to reclaim their relationship by saying look, I'm not that guy who did this to you. But Diane can't look at him when they're having sex and it's basically tearful the whole time and Cooper, or this version of him, is not a good lover.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I read an interesting take last night about how the last episode was a literal rejection of the idea of reboots. That doing so is destructive to the source material and that the world has moved on.

I think it's taking the idea of not being able to go home again to a very literal extreme. The whole show has been about moving on, or trying to. Cooper though seemingly can't. He has a happy ending. He's back in the world and everything gets tied up neatly, but he wants to put the genie back in the bottle and stop this one girl from ever dying.

Likewise, the whole show has been Lynch saying that I love these characters and this place to, but it's not 1991 anymore. The world has moved on. Twin Peaks won't be Twin Peaks anymore because that time has passed. And all that people want is Cooper doing the same thing he's always done, so at the end that's what they get.

Don't get me wrong I don't think that's Lynch being cynical really. I just think you can view it that way. I doubt he and Frost sat down and thought right, let's tell these people a thing or two about revisiting the past.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 5, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fados posted:

Isn't that precisely where the dramatic consequences of the show are played out? The best intentions lead to the biggest tragedies. Cause tragedy is at it's base filled with ironic reversals etc (Oedipus).

The pathetic 'what year is this?' question at the end is the other side of coin the boisterous 'I am FBI'. The man with the plan finds itself without the most simple elements of a basic cognitive mapping. This dissonance is intended and the message seems to be clear: no ammount of planning will garantee you a final victory, and preparation should focus above all on countermeasures for unforseen contingencies. Think Memento style tactics for trying to maintain a proper grounding. This is why Diane is so reticent to go through the «dimension jump» whereas Cooper pulls through seemingly based only on his self-confidence.

On the mythos level I think Cooper ends up again as a puppet in the yin-yang fight of Mother and the Fireman's crew. Laura's sacrifice represents a kind breaking of the wheel, even if at a terrible cost for herself, she was predistined to somehow 'bring balance to the force', but rejects it with the one armed man's help. But Cooper's good intentions and blind faith on intuition and good will leads him to be manipulated again and again by forces beyond his grasp.

The only problem I have with this relating to Season 3 is that is pretty much seems like a repeat of the narrative from the previous arch. We already had a sort of good ending at with Fire Walk with Me, and this new ending feels like a plain repeating of the Season 2 one. I don't completely put it past Lynch to troll people like this, and to go ahead and end it on a such a Nihilistic tone. But I'm probably wrong here and there's elements of some progression hidden in the midst of all that repetition.

I think Machlachlan does a really good job of portraying yet another Cooper in the back half of the episode. He's a little colder and hits some of the middle ground between Mr C and Dale Cooper. He is after all someone else now. Part of that is that he seems so clueless and his repeated "I'm with the FBI" is unconvincing. When he questions the woman at the house at the end he's just asking the most rudimentary things, and doesn't seem to remember the name Chalfont (Though that's up do debate) given that he should know who they are.

I think the ending hits a good middle ground between Frost and Lynch's sensibilities. Frost lays the solid groundwork for if you want to talk about portals or other dimensions or whatever, but Lynch provides the emotion to that, about not being able to take back all that horrific pain, because that's just part of life.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing, over and over forever

Yeah it's like 'look at these moments where it all syncs up', but then over two 50+ minute episodes there's going to be a lot of nonsense that you're subjecting yourself to that have nothing to do with one another. It's a fun theory, like those kind of things usually are, but there's so little in it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This is a great, semi-serious look at the various hints people have put out.

https://news.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-is-david-lynch-working-on-a-new-season-1838704486

She lays out a couple of reasons as to what it might mean, but I think the one about them shooting something for the new definitive box set is the most likely reason.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

didnt lynch say he wanted to do season 4 but it would take around 4 years before it was ready or something?

If there's a S4 (and I'm not convinced there is, or I'm trying not to get too hopeful) it wouldn't surprise me if the number of recent deaths had something to do with it. Losing cast members and friends, particularly so close to your big reunion, has to steer you towards wanting to do something.

My real guess is that its either something flippant like extras for the boxset, or it's a movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

About 34 million watched the pilot episode, 18 million watched the S1 finale.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/pajaro_burlon/status/1445103178698170378?t=ELoq1TvTYIXgaGslHRD05w&s=19

Did we clock they were wearing the same outfit the first time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/lynchiano/status/1531961257758171137?t=eLK-36T82Kq7FO5GPQVaiw&s=19