Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
there should be at least one tremendously stupid puzzle that's in there purely to spite the player. just incomprehensible busywork that nobody can figure out without a walkthrough. railroad them into it with some obviously bs excuse so they really know to resent it and you. if you don't do this you're a goddamn pussy who has no business making an adventure game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

savex posted:

Should have release Pre-Alpha access key on steam and really break the bank.

Casual observation that I've made very recently- any game with early access on Steam is the equivalent of Flex Funding on Indiegogo. Not to say that there aren't people who could legitimately make use of that system, but Jesus Christ, Business 101 dictates that people should at least have a reasonable plan or working prototype before asking for huge influxes of cash. Nothing against this guy here, of course, but it's funny how people who obviously have no plan are using poo poo like Early Access when the FTL guys aren't.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Pizzatime

oh hey, response! that does lift my spirits. sorry, it's kinda dumb, but whenever there isn't much response I'm quick to think that I'm doing something wrongor nobody's interested. thanks, starman!

about that alpha release. it might be a joke, but I am thinking of first releasing a somewhat early build to itch.io once the game's in any kind of presentable state and then figure out how to properly release it on steam while hopefully people will already be playing that early build from itch and incorporate feedback from there.

current plan is to progress development lineary to get some new stuff to show and only then focus on improving and revamping stuff which I've been kinda getting myself stuck with.

nice idea sham, though the game's adventure mechanics are kinda be workin in a way that has you constantly be in that situation while also always being able to brute force your way through. there's never a definitivr solution to anything that you gotta figure out, but rather a bunch of ways you can go about any situazion leading to different outcomes. you can also only ever hold one item.

Starman Super DX

No problem! Just stick with it, and don't let yourself get bored if you truly love your work! :yayclod:

VVVV What he said, but without me sugarcoating and injecting with caramel créme. It's quality looking stuff, but you should focus on your vision.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 30, 2017

Tell me more!

Pizzatime

fun fact: I did have a flex funder with a very humble goal at one point https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skullz-2#/

things went wrong in all kinds of ways, though. the worst of those being a "publisher" contacting me about a week away from the end of that campaign promising fame and fortune while basically telling me to abandon the campaign.

Pizzatime

been trying to keep contact with the backers but most didn't reply ever. can't think of anything to do except deliver those perks eventually.

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Pizzatime posted:

oh hey, response! that does lift my spirits. sorry, it's kinda dumb, but whenever there isn't much response I'm quick to think that I'm doing something wrongor nobody's interested.
byob isn't a game dev forum and you shouldn't expect it to be one, much less pin your morale on how well it lives up to that expectation. also it's been pretty small and slow in general lately. just focus on making the game you want to make, if you make this about people's responses to each baby step of development you will go nowhere and end up with nothing.

ed: this also applies to your indiegogo backers

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 30, 2017

Pizzatime

you're absolutely right, thank you!

Pizzatime

thanks to you guys and your advice I was finally able to just sit down and do what I've planned to instead of worrying about what anybody else could think about it.

on the left is the mockup of a title screen that had been standing in for the real thing for all this time. right is the revamped version of course, save for the castle, for which I'll still need a couple evenings to sit down and design from the ground up. can't say that the new one is necesarilly better than the old one, but it's definitely what I did and therefore what it is!

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
clearly better than the old one (the more pulsing dithering in this game the better) but i'm not sold on the cursive-style zs

Pizzatime

Meet Trug!

e: alternate bridge?

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 31, 2017

Starman Super DX

I'll have to take a crack at your first game when I'm sitting in front of my PC. And about that comment I made about indiegogo, your page definitely doesn't fall under that category, the one that has thousands of other projects and open betas with pages that say "I don't have any experience, plan, or previous work to showcase, but please give me
money anyway."

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

please tell me you keep your single item in your ribcage

Pizzatime

I'm not gonna stop you Starman, but that first game is a technical embarrassment compared to the (still very basic) standard I've worked myself to. It might still do a decent job at conveying like the feel of the real thing, though.

Lizard Wizard posted:

please tell me you keep your single item in your ribcage

funny you should say. I did briefly discuss that one item thing with a co-worker I've been spitballing ideas with today and he suggested to use the ribcage as an excuse to be able to hold more items.

Starman Super DX

I'm certain it's better than anything I could produce- failing Visual Basic in my first year of high school and barely producing a working RPG in it that only functioned on a series of if-then statements and random number generators.

Turns out computer science isn't included in my skill set. :shrug:

Tell me more!

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Pizzatime posted:

Meet Trug!

e: alternate bridge?

definitely the first. the bridge is made of wood, not dirt

They Might Be

just here to say I really dig the screen shake when the portraits slide in. stylish!

Pizzatime

what'd ya think of that developer splash screen?

https://twitter.com/Pizzamakesgames/status/871867501608566785

before, it came in right away without any warning and everything was all huge with the text just being the regular flat-white game font all blown up

Starman Super DX

Really loving that lo-fi sound!
People weren't meant to hear music in such clarity, they need to hear snaps and pops and all that poo poo. :goonsay:

Tell me more!

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Starman Super DX posted:

Really loving that lo-fi sound!
People weren't meant to hear music in such clarity, they need to hear snaps and pops and all that poo poo. :goonsay:
what are you talking about, it's perfectly clear. you're hearing the tones and noise as generated, it's not being played off a beat-up vinyl record or something

Starman Super DX

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what are you talking about, it's perfectly clear. you're hearing the tones and noise as generated, it's not being played off a beat-up vinyl record or something

I was making a joke about nothing in particular because I liked the lo fi sound. please don't think too hard about it.

e: you are kinda starting to sound like the guy I was quoting here tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 6, 2017

Tell me more!

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
it's not lo-fi at all but whatever

Starman Super DX

Well hey, feel free to school me then, I genuinely don't mind as I'm certainly no musical expert.

perhaps a more accurate statement is "I like this because it makes me think of what my conception of lo fi is"?

Really just trying to be as transparent as possible.

and Pizza, I'm enjoying the overall aesthetic a lot so far. keep up the good work :D

Tell me more!

Pizzatime

Actually, the bitrate of the jingle describes a curve looking somewhat like this: \/▔\ :eng101:

Make of that what you will, though I do tend to add some extra bitcrush to samples already fairly low on the bits, so I suppose what Starman says is actually pretty accurate.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 6, 2017

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
fair enough!

DirtyBear

so uhh thoughts on steam direct vs. greenlight from small dev POV? as a consumer Im not sure im sold it sure seems to not address the problem of horrible games clogging up the store front just because a dev pays 100$. maybe the rest of the steam changes will disincentive those "devs" i suppose.

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

so uhh thoughts on steam direct vs. greenlight from small dev POV? as a consumer Im not sure im sold it sure seems to not address the problem of horrible games clogging up the store front just because a dev pays 100$. maybe the rest of the steam changes will disincentive those "devs" i suppose.

not a dev, but that's exactly what Steam wanted was to try and corner the indie market. They're just letting people throw anything at the target and hoping that something sticks and that they'll one day be able to own a piece of something as big as Minecraft. As it is they already got poo poo like FTL, Terraria, and that massive failure Starbound. It's not about incentivizing anyone, I don't think, and more about a consistent and unending flow of crappy to decent and then very occasionally pretty good games that they never even have to develop themselves. It's probably been said a number of times before, but Valve has gotten out of the business of making and providing good games and moved onto just selling... anything. Anything at all.

Tell me more!

DirtyBear

lol starbound is the (straw that broke the camels back) reason I don't buy early access games any more. I still believe/hope it will end up being good because god knows i love terraria and starbound seems like a good stopgap between terraria and terraria other worlds, but when i bought starbound it was in such a lovely place.

Based on rumor/hints from total biscuit and jim sterling about the future of the steam storefront and how it chooses what games to show, specifically they mentioned a possible steam explorers program which somehow or another encourages certain power users to play and review more games that they otherwise wouldnt in order to scrape up more data, im actually in the process of writing extensive reviews and setting up a curator page. If valve is serious about making steam a better place I'd love to help, especially if I can get in on the ground floor even if its just as a neophyte. but if it ends up being anything like green light I am so not interested, so I think the next year or so is going to make a big impression with me on valve's intentions

Starman Super DX

if Valve really wanted to make Steam a better place they'd release Half Life 3
:argh:

Personally, I think they need to start putting some serious effort into this Steam Connect thing with GoG. GoG is proving every day that they can run an extremely successful digital distribution service while still giving limitless power to their customers, and Steam needs to get on board with that if they want to keep any good will with the gaming community that they have left.

If anything, the indie devs are going to be the one to save us from the horrible rut gaming has worked itself into over the past fifteen years. Any day now the crash will be nigh... and a new game messiah will rise from the ashes and lead us to the newfound promise land of challenge, depth, and originality... *trails off babbling and ranting incoherently*

Oh hey, if you liked Terraria and such and something like Dwarf Fortress is similarly up your alley, give Rim World a shot. It's got a SHOCKING amount of depth and content to it considering it's only in alpha. I've got a lot of hope for this one!

e: oops, that's Steam Connect

Tell me more!

DirtyBear

Starman Super DX posted:

Oh hey, if you liked Terraria and such and something like Dwarf Fortress is similarly up your alley, give Rim World a shot. It's got a SHOCKING amount of depth and content to it considering it's only in alpha. I've got a lot of hope for this one!

as a rule I dont buy early access games, but i have heard good things about rim world

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

as a rule I dont buy early access games, but i have heard good things about rim world

Right right, that didn't actually occur to me until after I'd posted it. I get it. I don't tend to give up my cash unless I know something is a sure thing. I keep forgetting that RimWorld is actually early access/in alpha too. Let me just say this, I've definitely gotten more than thirty bux worth of gameplay out of it already.

Tell me more!

Pizzatime

no other topic to come up more often in indiedev chats recently. it's an interesting topic to speculate about, though as a dev I'm more interested to see how it'll all work exactly. probably not too far off from greenlight tho. for what it's worth, it would appear like there'll be less kids getting like greenlight for their birthday and making GBS threads up steam henceforth as well as less devs not putting in the required effort as their return on investment will go negative with each release.

no good devlog post without new content, working on a x2 res pizza to go with that slick new text: https://twitter.com/Pizzamakesgames/status/872538878061805568

animated (and less rough) version to come.

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Will there be animal skeletons?

Pizzatime

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Will there be animal skeletons?

oh don't you know it. deer skulls are beyond rad

Pizzatime

thanks for putting cool pictures in my head

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Rad!

How about flying pinniped skeletons?! You ever think about those!?

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Pizzatime posted:

thanks for putting cool pictures in my head

thanks for putting a cool picture in my eyes

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
can a skeleton fart, and will one fart in the game

Pizzatime

skeletons don't fart, silly! that's the lone source of their superiority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU