Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

hi pizza time i want to play your game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

hey alnilam ok here u go https://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/axuo

Pizzatime

yo, today I'm cross-posting on tigsource and here, cause I like the way that post turned out a little.

I thought it might maybe be interesting to know why development can look virtually halted from the outside even with steady progress on the inside. Not exactly a phenomenon I'm not at all a little anxious about. Uh, I brought a picture!

this was half of today's progress and I'm pretty happy with it for a variety of reasons, though evidently it's hardly even possible to understand what's going on without an explanation, making the amount of progress visible close to none.

That lower animation was, so to say, baked. it's from a scene I haphazardly threw together a while ago in an effort to just get something done already, and it's one of these things that keeps getting in your way and sticking out as you're trying to make or at least trying to consider changes to whatever's already there. the thing with that lower animation is, that it's exactly what you're seeing, frame by frame, with each framing being as big as that red box, negative space and all. now for this purpose, I just used it as a reference for my "perfect" walk cycle, as my goal with this was to create that perfect walk cycle, but not as part of a canned animation, with a start and end point, but a continuous loop that I could use for whenever our skeleton friend walks around. of course, I already had such an animation, but it wasn't perfect. I used to just kick it on and tween the character's position to anywhere over a duration of time that felt good, resulting in the sprite moving a pixel when the animation didn't suggest he should do so, like the leg he was keeping his weight on moving to the right followed by him not moving when taking a step forward. that stuff' the total most minor of details, but it's also what makes your world and your characters believable in the long run, and I want this stuff to basically feel like it exists by the end.

anyway, now there's that top animation, that tells me where the character is in terms of his x position correctly at all times, which the lower animation does not, that is loopable indefinitely, that always moves in the right way at the right time, and that I can chain any animation before or after with ease. a small step for skeleton dude, but a huge leap for pizzakind.

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
very cool, pizza! while tunnel-vision can be a detriment, sometimes it's perfecting the little things and polish that helps to make a game impressive. Your examples and progress show a lot of polish and that's very appealing imo

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

alnilam

Yeah these little details are totally important in the feel of a game and i find it impressive that anyone haa the patience to deal w them

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

Pizzatime posted:

yo, today I'm cross-posting on tigsource and here, cause I like the way that post turned out a little.
so the forums are still going? i used to follow the blog and then it just... kinda...... stopped......... :sigh:

Pizzatime

Sham bam bamina! posted:

so the forums are still going? i used to follow the blog and then it just... kinda...... stopped......... :sigh:

you can't mean that tumblr, right? analytics showed like zero views on that thing, so I abandoned it in favor of tigsource which at least had a reply every odd week along with the possibility of forums users stumbling upon it on page 1. response is so scarce everywhere that i'm having trouble seeing the point to keep up with any devlog anywhere, though. kind of the same with anything, really - the effort of posting something somewhere seems hardly worth the effect.

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
the tigsource blog, the hottest place for indie game news 10 years ago

Starman Super DX

I remember when indie game meant "Iji" and "Cavestory" and that was basically it.

Tell me more!

Pizzatime

yeah, tigsource seems pretty weird. as active as it is, even the biggest devlogs seem kinda void of actual discussion. seems to me like there ain't really any big boomin places to keep a devlog, though maybe reading about unfinished games slowly taking shape is just not what anybody would be lookin for in a time with more full-on released games than one could even find the time to play. weirdly, twitter has been the place with the most reaction by far. post a gif and you're gettin yer 10 likes or whatever, where on tig and the like you might get one guy trying to promote his own stuff between ten of your posts. it's weird, but I guess I'm kinda happy with just throwing stuff to places where people like you guys hang and only ringin the big ol' bells once there's any kinda release.

Pizzatime

Hello, made a short game about a frog and his friends in the meantime!

https://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/frog-n-friends

Elusif

I like skeletons

ass

DirtyBear posted:

lol starbound is the (straw that broke the camels back) reason I don't buy early access games any more. I still believe/hope it will end up being good because god knows i love terraria and starbound seems like a good stopgap between terraria and terraria other worlds, but when i bought starbound it was in such a lovely place.

Based on rumor/hints from total biscuit and jim sterling about the future of the steam storefront and how it chooses what games to show, specifically they mentioned a possible steam explorers program which somehow or another encourages certain power users to play and review more games that they otherwise wouldnt in order to scrape up more data, im actually in the process of writing extensive reviews and setting up a curator page. If valve is serious about making steam a better place I'd love to help, especially if I can get in on the ground floor even if its just as a neophyte. but if it ends up being anything like green light I am so not interested, so I think the next year or so is going to make a big impression with me on valve's intentions

What happened to Starbound? I played it back in 2013 when it was early access and it was a poo poo ton of fun. Why did it put you off of early access games? What did they change in the game?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ToastedCrumbs
Hey Pizzatime, really liking the look of your game!
It makes me happy to see devs that appreciate that polish and detailing make a game feel much much nicer to the player.

Pizzatime

ToastedCrumbs posted:

Hey Pizzatime, really liking the look of your game!
It makes me happy to see devs that appreciate that polish and detailing make a game feel much much nicer to the player.

can't have a proper adventure to help out your friends if you ain't rockin right on your board

Corby Haas
Hi I never post I just want to say this is cool and I hope you keep doing it I hope this is not a poo poo post. You made me think of checking the Humble book bundle and that sent me to Amazon and now I have four new book samples on my Kindle so thanks mate.

cda

by Hand Knit

Corby Haas posted:

Hi I never post I just want to say this is cool and I hope you keep doing it I hope this is not a poo poo post. You made me think of checking the Humble book bundle and that sent me to Amazon and now I have four new book samples on my Kindle so thanks mate.

Corby Haas ftw. keep posting, i like your style

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Corby corby he's our man

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Where can I play Skeleton Man?

Starman Super DX

literally this big posted:

You cannot as it is still in Early Inaccess

Tell me more!

Pizzatime

literally this big posted:

in the future :haw:

also you rock, Corby have fun with the ebooks!

super sweet best pal

Starman Super DX posted:

I remember when indie game meant "Iji" and "Cavestory" and that was basically it.

And RPG Maker games with sprites ripped from old SNES RPGs.

Pizzatime

now I'm bustin' out these podcasts whenever there's nothing new to show in the world of the Skeletonz.

https://soundcloud.com/pizzamakespodcasts/pizza-podcast-01

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Piso Mojado

hello pizzatime. your games rule

Pizzatime

yo if you like skeletonz I might've got a little something related to your interests here

That's your pal hugo. lemme help him gettin a little move on his jaw real quick

alnilam

hi hugo welcome! :wave: please tell us any pets or hobbies or interesting/dark/mysterious past you have

Pizzatime

______I'm kinda into pool
                                               /
                                             /

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 10, 2017

InternetOfTwinks

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I identify with these skeltals deeply as I am also very bony and prone to wanders.

Pizzatime

https://twitter.com/Pizzamakesgames/status/885254160865742848

nothin' to add

e: well except maybe that actual 'scene from yesterday'

https://twitter.com/Pizzamakesgames/status/884884273563672576

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 12, 2017

Pizzatime

sprites now fade in and out along with the background

everybody say "yay, that's not a boring little detail at all!"

alnilam

that is cool and it's good that you programmed it in universally (I'm guessing) rather than in that one scene, it will make future things easier 4u

Pizzatime

let's say I prepared a universal way of figuring out through which colors to fade any particular sprite. For the ones that share the colors of the background it's simple, like Joseph from the intro here,

but even Yendor with his unique color palette wasn't too hard to figure out, so it won't be too bad, and it's all gonna work with some nice hooks into the class that handles the background, too.

on a side note, I'm usually all about perfectionism, and these sprites tend to swap palettes one frame later than the background, but this is actually the first occasion where something not going 100% right does not also break the rules of old systems, so I'm actually kinda happy to leave that quirk in.

Pizzatime

here's a blink animation and here's a blink animation

seemingly similar but oh hot drat didn't I ever gently caress and unfuck the entire codebase because of and inbetween those two almost exact looking little gifs.

I've talked a bunch about it in the last podcast, matter of fact that podcast was recorded in the middle of screwing up the code like something awful, so if you wanna listen to a person being about to do something really wrong while feeling like the king of smartypants-ville be sure to give that a listen.

What happened, though? In short, I wanted our skeleton buddy standing where he was while coming back from looking at that sign post.
Stuff like that has the tendency to seem real menial in it's first occurence, which is usually where it's at it's smallest possible scape, cause only the person making the video game already has that giant marketplace inhabited by all sorts of individuals doing whatever in the back of his head, that are all gonna reset to their original positions once you look at whatever little object up close because it would all get destroyed if you did. "I know!" he thought, "I'm gonna reverse the entire way game states are handled so this won't ever happen! No, I'm not gonna use substates, a super-convenient way of having little states inside your big state that you can go in and out of without destroying the parent state!".

And so, I proceded to create a horrible abomination of a state structure that would, among a lot of other things, mean that none of my gameplay scenes could ever talk back to the little textbox at the bottom, handling virtually anything the player is able to interact with. "No Problem!" he tought, "I'm gonna create an array of Strings for any state to send little messages to the textbox!". This madness goes on until I finally realized that I should reverse every dumb thing I did for the past week and just use those handy little substate classes.
Well, now I am, and it's working super neatly. The big difference between these two gifs from a frontend thing then, is that once you've come out of looking at that sign post in the left gif, you're in a new copy of the scene in which nothing has happened yet, while on the right side, you're exactly where you were and how you where before looking at that sign post, as the laws of reality would dictate, and I'm real glad it's that way now, cause I wanna create a world that actually exists, not a little game pretending to be existing that's really just a series of pretty pictures making and unmaking themselves when you're not looking.

As much as a waste of time this little journey might have the appearance to have been, I've learned of a whole bunch of ways to make my code a little cleaner, a little more concise and even more flexible in terms of what I'm able to do, like having all the state switching, custom variables I use a lot and more already there and just utilizing those with a quick line of code referencing any of it.

So as with everything in life, every wrong turn makes you come out of it knowing more than you did coming in <3

Pizzatime

Yo. Trying to limit the amount of devlogs I'm keeping of this game to a reasonable number, like 1.

This one single devlog will be over here: https://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/skullz-n-skeletonz

Let's hang out in other threads, Byob doesn't need a devlog thread for my video game. Thanks for sticking around.

alnilam

thanks 4 ur thread i lik ed it

Pizzatime

hey there I just wanted to show you my spooky shadow real quick

https://twitter.com/Pizzamakesgames/status/898855769583624192

alnilam

I'm shaking from spook

Pizzatime

could use one or another honest opinion about this seemingly petty detail.

Just yesterday, a young unthoughful Pizza was all happy to have been more than clever with his ambiguous phrasing of his inner monologues. Not using the words "I" or "You" would leave the player wondering if it was the player character or some omnipresent narrator behind the descriptions of your surroundings.

Inadvertantly, that'd also mean that the player character would seem like an unbearingly pretentious prick, thinking in phrases like:

So, I think It'd be wiser to go the "You" route, and make clear that these descriptions of your surroundings be actually narrated by some omnipotent presence, lest the player start to despise their very own personification in this world. Leaving us with the following:

Sad, really. I liked to be clever with this great idea of ambiguousness and all, but I figure this choice will do our player character better service, don't you think?

Manifisto

neither phrasing really seems out of place to me (in the examples you've provided) and in some ways I actually sort of like the ambiguous phrasing but my suspicion is that using "you" will help ground the player and assist with immersion.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

it's of course always a possibility that I'm overthinking things. seems like either way'd have pros and cons, but in the grand scheme of things it might both not amount to much and amount to a whole lot. As that goes, I'm currently busy rewriting the entire way I'm typing out the text letter by letter because of this tiny little bug where the b of "by" moves a little when it really shouldn't.

• Locked thread