Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit

Corby Haas posted:

Hi I never post I just want to say this is cool and I hope you keep doing it I hope this is not a poo poo post. You made me think of checking the Humble book bundle and that sent me to Amazon and now I have four new book samples on my Kindle so thanks mate.

Corby Haas ftw. keep posting, i like your style

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

Pizzatime posted:

it's of course always a possibility that I'm overthinking things. seems like either way'd have pros and cons, but in the grand scheme of things it might both not amount to much and amount to a whole lot. As that goes, I'm currently busy rewriting the entire way I'm typing out the text letter by letter because of this tiny little bug where the b of "by" moves a little when it really shouldn't.

It feels like it's going to be a million years before this game is ever finished if you keep doing stuff like that. I mean I'm all about competence but drat dude.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

Pizzatime posted:

Jokes aside though, those seemingly OCD-driven decisions actually have a very good cost to benefit ratio. Here's why:

Every bug that is not caused by an isolated piece of code which is only executed once will reappear throughout development. If I solve it now, I'm making sure that this won't happen again in various new and interesting ways while I'm already 10K+ lines of text into the game, effectively having locked myself out of a number of ways to solve this problem by that point. So, the sooner you solve these things, the easier of a time you'll have solving them.

Next, every bug you solve teaches you something new. In this case, I've already found the way I'd want to go about this one, which is diplaying the text, fully typed out in black color, and then changing it to white, letter by letter, erasing the possibility of any automatic reformatting due to the actual characters never even changing. This new knowledge brings about new possibilities that will positively influence the game further. A good example of that is when I was unhappy with the regular fade to black that's been used by the framework to transition screens and wrote a class that fades the screens to black using only the colors of the background's palette, bringing about lots of good things, like the color count of gifs I export having a screentransition in them not going through the roof as well as abiding to those sweet retro limitations.

Finally, doing these things is mostly just a question of how to do them, the actual execution doesn't take long once you understand how to do it. So in a day or two, this will already be solved and I'll be back to progressing the actual content of the game with raised enthusiasm cause of the last currently known bug (I've known about this one for a good half year but avoided it up until now) having been squashed!

Cool. I'm mostly salty because it looks like a cool game and I'd like to play it sometime before I die! :spooky:

• Locked thread