Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Hey! these are really cool! If nothing else, if I saw these gifs without context I would say "if this was a game I would totally play that poo poo."

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

savex posted:

Should have release Pre-Alpha access key on steam and really break the bank.

Casual observation that I've made very recently- any game with early access on Steam is the equivalent of Flex Funding on Indiegogo. Not to say that there aren't people who could legitimately make use of that system, but Jesus Christ, Business 101 dictates that people should at least have a reasonable plan or working prototype before asking for huge influxes of cash. Nothing against this guy here, of course, but it's funny how people who obviously have no plan are using poo poo like Early Access when the FTL guys aren't.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

No problem! Just stick with it, and don't let yourself get bored if you truly love your work! :yayclod:

VVVV What he said, but without me sugarcoating and injecting with caramel créme. It's quality looking stuff, but you should focus on your vision.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 30, 2017

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

I'll have to take a crack at your first game when I'm sitting in front of my PC. And about that comment I made about indiegogo, your page definitely doesn't fall under that category, the one that has thousands of other projects and open betas with pages that say "I don't have any experience, plan, or previous work to showcase, but please give me
money anyway."

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

I'm certain it's better than anything I could produce- failing Visual Basic in my first year of high school and barely producing a working RPG in it that only functioned on a series of if-then statements and random number generators.

Turns out computer science isn't included in my skill set. :shrug:

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

Really loving that lo-fi sound!
People weren't meant to hear music in such clarity, they need to hear snaps and pops and all that poo poo. :goonsay:

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what are you talking about, it's perfectly clear. you're hearing the tones and noise as generated, it's not being played off a beat-up vinyl record or something

I was making a joke about nothing in particular because I liked the lo fi sound. please don't think too hard about it.

e: you are kinda starting to sound like the guy I was quoting here tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 6, 2017

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

Well hey, feel free to school me then, I genuinely don't mind as I'm certainly no musical expert.

perhaps a more accurate statement is "I like this because it makes me think of what my conception of lo fi is"?

Really just trying to be as transparent as possible.

and Pizza, I'm enjoying the overall aesthetic a lot so far. keep up the good work :D

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

so uhh thoughts on steam direct vs. greenlight from small dev POV? as a consumer Im not sure im sold it sure seems to not address the problem of horrible games clogging up the store front just because a dev pays 100$. maybe the rest of the steam changes will disincentive those "devs" i suppose.

not a dev, but that's exactly what Steam wanted was to try and corner the indie market. They're just letting people throw anything at the target and hoping that something sticks and that they'll one day be able to own a piece of something as big as Minecraft. As it is they already got poo poo like FTL, Terraria, and that massive failure Starbound. It's not about incentivizing anyone, I don't think, and more about a consistent and unending flow of crappy to decent and then very occasionally pretty good games that they never even have to develop themselves. It's probably been said a number of times before, but Valve has gotten out of the business of making and providing good games and moved onto just selling... anything. Anything at all.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

if Valve really wanted to make Steam a better place they'd release Half Life 3
:argh:

Personally, I think they need to start putting some serious effort into this Steam Connect thing with GoG. GoG is proving every day that they can run an extremely successful digital distribution service while still giving limitless power to their customers, and Steam needs to get on board with that if they want to keep any good will with the gaming community that they have left.

If anything, the indie devs are going to be the one to save us from the horrible rut gaming has worked itself into over the past fifteen years. Any day now the crash will be nigh... and a new game messiah will rise from the ashes and lead us to the newfound promise land of challenge, depth, and originality... *trails off babbling and ranting incoherently*

Oh hey, if you liked Terraria and such and something like Dwarf Fortress is similarly up your alley, give Rim World a shot. It's got a SHOCKING amount of depth and content to it considering it's only in alpha. I've got a lot of hope for this one!

e: oops, that's Steam Connect

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

as a rule I dont buy early access games, but i have heard good things about rim world

Right right, that didn't actually occur to me until after I'd posted it. I get it. I don't tend to give up my cash unless I know something is a sure thing. I keep forgetting that RimWorld is actually early access/in alpha too. Let me just say this, I've definitely gotten more than thirty bux worth of gameplay out of it already.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

very cool, pizza! while tunnel-vision can be a detriment, sometimes it's perfecting the little things and polish that helps to make a game impressive. Your examples and progress show a lot of polish and that's very appealing imo

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

I remember when indie game meant "Iji" and "Cavestory" and that was basically it.

Tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

literally this big posted:

Where can I play Skeleton Man?

You cannot as it is still in Early Inaccess

Tell me more!

• Locked thread