Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

I could've sworn I found one of the earlier threads in LP, mostly because that's honestly the only board I hang out on at SA. Well, no matter as long as I'm here in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I still need to get around to getting that archived.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Didn't participate last year, but I'm up for it this year. Bring on the Berserkers! :getin:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Hope I can finally finish another one of these.

Though I'm still proud of the highlight of my winning Classic run, landing Old using an Ancient Sword on the Exdeath part that casts Almagest just to survive it. Triple Knight and a Thief was hell towards the end, even if I just smacked half the bosses to death with cool swords. The ones I couldn't crush were hard as hell.

Let's just hope I don't get White, Thief or 'Zerk for my first job like I usually do I guess.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mega64 posted:

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

Maybe I could go over each boss and how extra jobs would affect those later.

Was curious and love dedicating free time to FF5 stuff, so why not?

Berserker: Karlabos, Siren, and Magisa are all going to be annoying but doable. Garula should be simple due to heavy armor.
Mystic Knight: Karlabos and Siren have weaknesses MK can exploit. Magisa can be Silenced, Forza can be Sleeped. Heavy armor nerfs Garula.
Red Mage: Pretty much same strategies as MK, except Protect for Garula.
Summoner: Karlabos and Siren are going to suck. Break rod on Magisa, Sylph Garula.
Time Mage: Same as Summoner, except buff like hell for Garula and Flail it to death.

Beastmaster: Not going to go through each monster for each boss, but Beastmaster has a load of options. It can Flare Karlabos, petrify Siren, blind Forza, kill Garula and Liquid Flame. Beastmasters are actually more broken before you get them.
Geomancer: !Gaia rocks until Liquid Flame, then you gotta knife/bell it to death. Another job easier before you get it.
Ninja: !Image will help a ton with the early bosses, nullifying a lot of Karlabos, Siren, Forza, and Garula's offenses. Liquid Flame won't be too bad either.

Bard: Ahahahahaha. Hide out MP for Siren, Magisa, Liquid Flame, Ifrit, Byblos. Forza, Garula, and Byblos are still going to be unpleasant. Pray you get fire damage from your second job for Byblos.
Ranger: Pretty much !Animal abuse the whole way through. Biggest challenge is remembering to get the Flame Bow drop from Liquid Flame to make Byblos doable.

Chemist: Karlabos will be difficult, Siren less so. After that you can buy supplies to abuse !Mix and, well, at that point it's the freaking Chemist.
Dancer: !Dance and pray. There's your entire strategy.
Dragoon: !Jump and pray. !Lance MP from the more difficult mage foes. Pray for jobs with better abilities.
Samurai: Throw money at the problem, and enjoy the bonus evasion and early Katana.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
This will be very helpful for me Mega64, thank you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

Just in time for Stormblood :sigh:
Ugh, I forgot that Fiesta didn't start on like July 1 so I thought there'd be slightly less overlap.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
After doing quadzerks last year I am ready for a nice relaxing FJF.

...Unless this year has a new awful unfun challenge that will make me hate myself. I will totally do that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Dancer: !Dance and pray. There's your entire strategy.
Dragoon: !Jump and pray. !Lance MP from the more difficult mage foes. Pray for jobs with better abilities.

Good to know nothing has changed about the two worst Earth jobs by getting them early. :haw:

Though I'm curious how many levels you have to get with a Dancer start so that you're not staring down Karlabos/Siren with double-digit Max HP.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Everyone's forgetting the real question: how will Buttz decide to name himself this year?!?!?!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Assz

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Has anyone played with both the Fiesta and Balance mods? Wondering if there's any possible weird interactions I should be worried about.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oop, misread the question.

Wonder when Four Geomancer Fiesta becomes official.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Aw dang, this dropping around the same time as Stormblood is gonna suck, but at the same time I still love me some FF5, and I am contractually obligated to play until I get Samurai at least once. Think I'm gonna avoid RISK this time just because Bard Zerk Zerk Monk was the worst until getting to world 2.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Has anyone played with both the Fiesta and Balance mods? Wondering if there's any possible weird interactions I should be worried about.

I don't think they're at all compatible.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They're both my mods, I can update a compatible version of them when I have time.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Your balance mod sounds really fun! I've been advised to a vanilla run for my first though, but I look forward to trying balanced out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Charles Bukowski posted:

Your balance mod sounds really fun! I've been advised to a vanilla run for my first though, but I look forward to trying balanced out.
Hopefully you mean vanilla as in unmodded and not vanilla as in "not #regpurechaos" :black101:

(you probably shouldn't, but it's the best)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ultrafilter posted:

If you're looking for music to get you in the mood for the Fiesta, there's only one choice.

Agreed, but I'm going to go with the PSP remake of FF1's version

Vernatio posted:

Also, not necessarily fiesta related, but I always take this time of the year to pimp Sullla's site, mostly the final fantasy section (http://www.sullla.com/FF/finalfantasy.html). The man is a Final Fantasy V master, and proof that you can complete the fiesta with pretty much any class, given that he's solo-d the game with each class alone (Minus Mime and Berserker). He does really interesting write-ups on the challenges, too.

I'll go ahead and link some good stuff too. Caves of Narshe (https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/) It has a pretty extensive walkthrough, along with job/ability information, good stuff to steal from enemies, and stuff like boss status vulnerabilities. You can even switch between GBA and PSX enemy/ability/item names on the fly with a toggle button on the left side of the site. It's mostly good although it does have some slight errors every once in a while (Atomos is immune to Old, Djibriel! TIME SLIP IS USELESS AGAINST IT!) but I still usually keep the walkthrough open during my playthroughs.

Also if nobody else has posted it, instructrtrepe's stats/algorithms guide (https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/30040) is absolutely invaluable for things like boss AI scripts, damage formulas, what weapons are classified as what type (Rune Bell is classified as an axe, for example!). It works off the SNES version, but I think almost all if not all the info remains accurate for the GBA version, though the spell/enemy names will be different.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sulla's site and the algorithms guide are in the OP. :negative:

E: Oh, I still have the old URL for Sulla's stuff, I should fix that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is the "best" guide in the OP? You know, the freelancer one on GameFAQs that got a CarbyBot command at my urging last year. That guide "rules".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admittedly no, it is not. :v: I figure .badfaq was a good enough place for it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KnoxZone posted:

After doing quadzerks last year I am ready for a nice relaxing FJF.

...Unless this year has a new awful unfun challenge that will make me hate myself. I will totally do that.

I also did Quadzerks last year and if we get a similarly awful challenge this year, I'm going to pass. Grinding up to the high 70s was just the WORST. To put into perspective HOW bad, I would've rather have been back on my one Classic run of Monk/Monk/Red/Monk. I only had to grind to level 42 to beat that one!

KataraniSword posted:

Good to know nothing has changed about the two worst Earth jobs by getting them early. :haw:

Though I'm curious how many levels you have to get with a Dancer start so that you're not staring down Karlabos/Siren with double-digit Max HP.

Well, it's hardly fair to compare literally any other job to Chemist. And Zeninage single-handedly makes Samurai useful. Dancer at least has the benefit of a decent all-purpose passive with Equip Ribbons, and !Dance being a CK-friendly attack. Dragoon really only has the latter with !Jump. !Lance has the potential to be downright beastly on a magic-using class since its power is based on Magic (which is incidentally why it sucks on Dragoons themselves since they have one of the lowest Magic stats in the game, dammit Square), but MP recovery items are easy enough to get and they usually have far better commands to waste their secondary slot on.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My personal wish is for a GBA version with the fiesta mod as well as the fixed music. Alas.

Last year, I had Ninja, Beastmaster, Samurai, and Black Mage. Everything died super fast, but I had to have Flame Rings to reliably heal myself. Still way better than the previous year, which was 2x Dancer, Dragoon, and Red Mage. :negative:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Novasol posted:

Still way better than the previous year, which was 2x Dancer, Dragoon, and Red Mage. :negative:

Huh, sounds familiar.

:hfive:

yeah, that run was a pain in the rear end.

Pure Chaos not having doubles is really good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Novasol posted:

Last year, I had Ninja, Beastmaster, Samurai, and Black Mage. Everything died super fast, but I had to have Flame Rings to reliably heal myself.

With that team, who needs healing?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

With that team, who needs healing?

High DEF enemies and attempts to catch pokemon were likely the big culprits for taking loads of damage; two scroll-chuckers isn't enough to keep from soaking some hits, and if Zeninage can't contribute...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Twelve by Pies posted:

Agreed, but I'm going to go with the PSP remake of FF1's version

:hfive: If you can play it, I strongly recommend the PSP version of FF1. It really is the best, though the Anniversary Edition dungeon (which is also in the mobile ports I believe) is kinda rear end, the graphics and music are great, and the Dawn of Souls content is fantastic. That theme right there is ONLY used for the Bonus Gilgamesh Fight, and nowhere else. :allears:

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Aw yes, I can't wait to #beserkerrisk and maybe try a chaos run this year! Plus getting my wife to play FFV for the first time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I didn't actually know where to ask, but since it's for Fiesta prep this seems like the right place - is there still a goon that will replace GBASP screens? I have the awesome NES-skinned GBASP... but it's model AGS-001 so it's got the bad backlight and a little bit of dust has crept in besides. If anyone knows a reliable source, you can PM me or just post or whatever. Want to upgrade my Fiesta machine :3:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So with the incredible help of AlphaKretin, we now have a functional Discord Carbybot! Which means I can go ahead and open up the FFVGoons Discord to people. I'm still gonna maintain the IRC too because I know there's people that prefer it, but now there's a discord as well. :)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Ready for another fiesta season!

I probably won't use the fiesta mod this time. That being the case, I might go back to the SNES version of the game. Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mountaineer posted:

I probably won't use the fiesta mod this time. That being the case, I might go back to the SNES version of the game. Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

You can run faster.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

I like the gba translation over the snes one, but that can be subjective.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've done about 15 fiesta runs before and have long since passed the point of paying much attention to the text.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

I've done about 15 fiesta runs before and have long since memorized the text.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

fair point

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
With cheese biscuits AND mashed potatoes!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The SNES lets you play co-op with a friend on netplay and that's the only way I can make my broken brain play a single player game longer than Spelunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mountaineer posted:

Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

Being able to run without a Thief, the !Calm glitch, which allows you to easily beat Omega with a Beastmaster, the removed dummy targets in the Neo Exdeath fight, and the Quicksave feature, which can be used to force rare encounters (though I believe that only works on the NA version).

• Locked thread