Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/903304568347512833

In front on NED now! Really wanna finish this and therefore four runs this year!

EDIT: https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/903329782158512128

Well there we go! Man, that was a boring run. loving Dragoons, man. Really don't regret Job Fairing the Geomancer, though (the Thief is random, actually, but Dragoon's best friend!).

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Seeing your victory pic reminds me that this is the 4th year running where I wasn't assigned Time Mage even once. Darnit, Gilgabot. :eng99:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It took a couple tries, but I got the QUADSKULL in the end. Don't have it in the shot, but I do have it on video. It's a pretty fun experience if a bit finnicky trying to do it without running out of MP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Whelp, unless there's a grace period, I didn't finish a single run this year. Too much stuff going on in my life.

Congratulations to everyone who pulled it off though. Have this picture I made I was gonna share once I got there in the run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bad Seafood posted:

Whelp, unless there's a grace period, I didn't finish a single run this year. Too much stuff going on in my life.

:same:

It's all right, though, we'll get it next year.

And congratulations to everyone who finished all the runs and tripled all the crowns and whatnot.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Congrats to jaclynhyde, RitzBlues, Doom Goon (hey, it technically counts), and Can of Worms on the Randomizer runs! I did end up missing the donation date but the good news is I planned for that and I'm almost assuredly expanding this next year (and probably not during the end) so keep an eye out!

I know it's not officially over until the donation results/stats are posted, but what did everyone think about it this year? Despite not being into the jobs gimmicks at all, I ended up doing more runs (The Run, a Berserk Risk run, a Randomizer Mild run, and the Sonic run) and hitting more donations (thanks again!) this year then any others. I also did an pledge this year which while being admittedly small is still a new first! To top it all off the Randomizer was released and that was really cool (and that run included a satisfying Omega kill). So overall I think everything just came together for me to make it one of the better years!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 7, 2017

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I learned how to use Beastmaster, finished the game for the first time ever, and it was a triple crown to boot, which threw :10bux: at charity even though I forgot that pledge was a thing.

I even did an art or two! This is, without qualification, the best fiesta I've ever been part of.

Can't say I was a fan of Popular, though.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, I also finally got myself to get a copy of Bravely Default. It's no FJF so far but the similarities are pretty fun and on Hard it's actually pretty difficult.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've been replaying Bravely Default recently, with the added gimmick of using a dice roller to determine what jobs I'm allowed to use at certain points. it's not quite the same as doing the fiesta, but it's a fun way to shake up a game I've already broken over my knee on my first playthrough.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Did less runs due to family but 4JF is always enjoyable. RNG wasn't as kind to me this year. Even though it was mostly brute force, proud that my Sam Ninja Sam Sam party was able to TC with my intended strategy.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

derra posted:

Sam Ninja Sam Sam party was able to TC with my intended strategy.

I read your post history, did you really just Dancing Dagger Chicken Knife Sword Dance him down?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I really love weird job combinations, but I never had the patience to triple crown without a team built to wreck the super bosses

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

I read your post history, did you really just Dancing Dagger Chicken Knife Sword Dance him down?

Yes, at level 85. Took 7 or 8 sword dances. I could survive Earthquake with my HP though, which made it much more bearable.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/911049017592709121

Infograps! Cake?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Most runs was 22? Wasn't it higher last year?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
14 quadzerkers, at least I wasn't the only one suffering

(rip)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Most runs was 22? Wasn't it higher last year?

I have a kid now!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

14 quadzerkers, at least I wasn't the only one suffering

(rip)

:black101::hf::black101:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry for the necro:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/940085104029745152

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Chrono Trigger Holiday Challenge is not December Fiesta so I am indifferent

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I, on the other hand, am quite intrigued and wish to know more.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

W.T. Fits posted:

I, on the other hand, am quite intrigued and wish to know more.

I also wish to subscribe to this newsletter.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
If this challenge manages to breathe new life into CT for me, Gilgabot will remain my favorite internet bot ever. Granted, there wasn't many contenders for that title so it probably would've stayed that way regardless, but my point remains.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This seems interesting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm intrigued but also a long ways away from my copy of Chrono Trigger.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the event runs from december 22 to uh.

march

so i think youll have time for whatever it is

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I can't imagine it'll be too interesting. I was looking at Chrono Trigger mechanics and there was a lot of "...oh." A rare consistent damage spell that you can't use on anyone where consistent damage might be good? Oh. Tank ability on the character probably least able to tank? Oh. Triple tech accessories where triple techs are nigh worthless and certainly less than whatever accessory you could otherwise fill it with? Etc., etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Clearly the solution here is to make a ROM hack where the Chrono Trigger characters are replaced by FF5 characters. Chrono -> Bartz, Marle -> Lenna, Lucca -> Krile, Robo -> Galuf, Ayla -> Faris, Frog -> Sage Ghido :v:.

Then you just need to figure out a way to shoehorn the class system into Chrono Trigger, which I figure shouldn't take more than an afternoon. Get to it!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everyone gets Berzerker.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Okay, Gilgabot you have my attention.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'm interested but skeptical. Chrono Trigger doesn't exactly have the variety of character builds as FFV. Simply having an excuse to replay CT would be nice, I'll admit.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Everyone gets Berzerker.
Ozzie Pants.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Bufuman posted:

If this challenge manages to breathe new life into CT for me, Gilgabot will remain my favorite internet bot ever. Granted, there wasn't many contenders for that title so it probably would've stayed that way regardless, but my point remains.

It's between Gilgabot and the bot programmed to tweet "rear end!" every day till the end of time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean it would be interesting if you had a Romhack that granted the characters randomised abilities on levelup.

So you have a Magus or something that has a bunch of Chrono's physical attacks.

Or Lucca with Lightning. Oh god that would be ridiculous.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Natural 20 posted:

I mean it would be interesting if you had a Romhack that granted the characters randomised abilities on levelup.

So you have a Magus or something that has a bunch of Chrono's physical attacks.

Or Lucca with Lightning. Oh god that would be ridiculous.

A Chrono Trigger hack in the style of FF6 Beyond Chaos would be cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Enjoy!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Well, I now know what I'm doing for my day off tomorrow.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

So the holiday chronotrigger challenge kicked off, I got Chrono, Marle and Magus. The rules seem fast and loose, kinda like they were written on a napkin or something.
Unless we apply the any character patch I am sure exisits somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Link for those who want to join.

Rolled Crono/Frog/Robo, gently caress yeah. Though no clue when I'll actually start playing...

• Locked thread