Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So I actually have some cash this year and I want to donate, but I've never used PayPal. What's the actual process for this? Is it safe? Is PayPal required?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

agradine posted:

Can anyone recommend a good GBA emulator for the PSP? I remember playing FFVI on it several years ago but I seem to have deleted the emulator that I used to use.

It would be nice to go back to FFVa after a few years of fun with the Mobile version, but I'd like to play it on a mobile device with an actual gamepad and I'd let Squeenix take my money soooo much if they'd just bother to release the Advance games on the 3DS store :(

one of the spinoffs of gpSP (-j or mod) is what i remember using back in the day
if you really hate yourself, you can popstation the psx one

the psx version is rear end

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I wonder how bad DD is going to gently caress up horribly this year during The Run. It can't possibly top last year.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

berenzen posted:

I wonder how bad DD is going to gently caress up horribly this year during The Run. It can't possibly top last year.

Isn't that what we said last year?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

berenzen posted:

I think I heard randomly on elmagus's stream that he's not doing it this year. But I can't provide a citation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think I heard randomly on elmagus's stream that he's not doing it this year. But I can't provide a citation.

The Run or loving it up?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Supremezero posted:

The Run or loving it up?

Not doing the former is the only way he can avoid the latter.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Gee, I wonder why he wouldn't want to do it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dragondarch loving up The Run in increasingly spectacular ways has been a classic staple of the FJF, losing that would be terrible.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think he can top last year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Last year, he spent like 18 hours on his routing run, finishing three hours before the official run began. Then he was trying to grind Faris solo for one of his elaborate insane level-based strategies because Dragondarch, but ends up wiping and, because he didn't save, had to restart from the very beginning.

I was really looking forward to see how he could top that, but I guess he realized that's peak Dragondarch and he couldn't fail more spectacularly from there. A great shame.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

berenzen posted:

Dragondarch loving up The Run in increasingly spectacular ways has been a classic staple of the FJF, losing that would be terrible.
Agreed, last year's run was a major high point of the whole fiesta. Him wiping in the wind shrine was glorious.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

I was really looking forward to see how he could top that, but I guess he realized that's peak Dragondarch and he couldn't fail more spectacularly from there. A great shame.

Attempting to follow the Bare Only FAQ and then loving that up would be one way to go.

Bonus points for not getting Magissa to drop the Whip and needing to reset.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

ultrafilter posted:

I don't think he can top last year.

He'll start playing Final Fantasy 14 instead and in the middle of a dungeon just question where the gently caress Lenna is.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

At the same time, I can't blame him. That Dragon Fang meltdown last year followed by just dead, unconscious silence at the very end? That would be soulcrushing for anyone, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I mean, that's what he gets for waiting until the absolute last minute to "plan a route", only to come into the run about 72 hours sleep deprived. Part of me would think it was an elaborate jape on the audience, but no, he just DSP'd the hell out of that run.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Supremezero posted:

The Run or loving it up?
Former, obviously. But I mean, that's how you prevent the latter. And I can't prove that elmagus actually said that because I was only half-listening and he was like, running lttp rando or something when someone in chat asked if he was doing the run again this year and he said something like "yeah, I am, blah blah, I know DD isn't but I think he's the only one who isn't returning".

Unrelated but related to this thread: Bought another GBA cart, this one has working quicksave. Does anyone want a GBA cart with a Freelancers-After-Wing-Raptor save that doesn't have working quicksave? I will absolutely let it go for a song (:10bux:) because fiesta goons :3:

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Here's what I would take:

Monk, Thief, Geomancer, Chemist

This team manages to clear World 1 without too much trouble other than a bit of grinding levels. Geomancer and Monk actually cover each other's weaknesses pretty well (until they both fall off a cliff in terms of usefulness, but by then you have Chemist). Thief providing high potions for effective, if tedious, healing rounds it all out.

Blue Mage, Berserker, Beast Master, Dragoon

Blue Mage and Beast Master are besties while Dragoon and Berserker tag along. The Dragoon gets to be a second Blue caster and can be used for Catch shenanigans.

White Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dancer

Mystic Knight and Ranger for late game fire power, Dancer gets to be a second White Mage and White Mage gets to equip a ribbon.

Knight, Summoner, Ninja, Bard
Knight gets to sing, Bard gets to sing, and Ninja and Summoner throw overpowered scrolls everywhere. I might even take the Brave Blade since killing everything along the way should be fairly convenient.

Black Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Samurai

I just blow everything the gently caress up. Samurai comes along to look menacing and help with the Tower of Power.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blue Mage and Beastmaster work well together, but not so much when you have Berserker too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ultrafilter posted:

Blue Mage and Beastmaster work well together, but not so much when you have Berserker too.

Just put the Berserker down, it's a Time Honored Tradition.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Just put the Berserker down, it's a Time Honored Tradition.

"Welp, time to get ready for sandworm," he said, pulling Lenna behind the toolshed with a 12-gauge.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

They even have dog costumes! It works! :v:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

KataraniSword posted:

"Welp, time to get ready for sandworm," he said, pulling Lenna behind the toolshed with a 12-gauge.

"No, Buttz. Lenna's my sister. I'll do it :smith:"

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Classtoise posted:

"No, Buttz. Lenna's my sister. I'll do it :smith:"

"Yarr, what be ye thinkin'? It'd be me takin' that cutlass and runnin' her off the plank."

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

KataraniSword posted:

"Tell me about the Moogles, Buttz"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The fiesta is almost here. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHbYIbleQP8

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG5puPj_CQ

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7iNbGsnTO0

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Not only did I get the Brave Blade, but since it was my first ever run, I went and got all 4 tablets.

Is this something I need to be wary of :ohdear: I don't know about this Brave Blade/Chicken Blade stuff.

Any other tips for a first-timer?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Unless you have no way of bypassing the Chicken Knife's run chance (spoilers: you will), there's absolutely no reason to ever get the Brave Blade. It requires a lot more hassle to maintain max power of and it can only get weaker. And even at its strongest, its less effective than the Chicken Knife at max.

Brave Blade bad. I believe Gilgabot had a handy dandy flowchart on this very subject.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/748302613318238208

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/ktwfc/status/869831311350931456

Just in time for the Fiesta.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I quite often get the full powered brave blade when I have a knight. With a knight, the majority of random encounters are pretty easy and I have a natural inclination to never run away from any random encounter.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Brave Blade 4ever. Dual-wield Brave Blade and Ragnarok and watch Exdeath melt :getin:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Brave Blade 4ever

A strange cipher. Never seen '4' used in place of 'N' before

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The true way to wield the Brave Blade is to throw it at your enemies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Brave Blade Goblin Punching is pretty fun as well.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Having never played FFV before, and really not having any idea what you people are talking about, I look forward to struggling through this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OP updated with New poo poo. Preregistration starts in 90 minutes! :woop:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

2017 has two new commands! This is awesome!

#regpopular - this is kinda like #regchaos, but a weighted random based on the job polls that RK did over the months before the Fiesta. I am pretty sure Blue Mage was the overall winner? So this is good unless you're a Dragondipshit.

The poll results appear to be:
code:
Play-In Round
Mystic 72 > Thief 28
Ninja 61 > Monk 39
Blue 72 > Beast 28
Summoner 61 > Knight 39

Round 1
Time 60 > Dragoon 40
Mystic 64 > Samurai 36 
Bard 55 > White 45
Ninja 51 > Chemist 49 
Red 60 > Geo 40
Blue 57 > Dancer 43 
Black 60 > Ranger 40
Summoner 59 > Berserker 41

Quarterfinals
Mystic 56 > Time 44
Bard 53 > Ninja 47
Blue 65 > Red 35
Summoner 57 > Black 43

Semi-Finals
Blue 64 > Bard 36
Mystic 60 > Summoner 40

Finals
Blue 56 > Mystic 44
I would assume that this results in a weighted order of:
Blue, Mystic, Summoner, Bard, Ninja, Time, Black, Red, Chemist, White, Dancer, Berserker, (Dragoon, Geomancer, Ranger), Samurai, (Knight, Monk), (Beast, Thief)

With the lists in parentheses difficult to tell the order since they ended up with the same percentages. They're ordered their by which job got more votes among the tied jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So #regpopular is basically Chaos except you're almost guaranteed to get good jobs? Sounds nice if you want to have an easy, relaxing run.

Not sure about #fifthjob if it always replaces your Earth slot, though. Chemist and Dancer tend to become more powerful as the game goes along, and Samurai is nice to have near the end as well. It'd be better if you could use it to get rid of a class like Monk or Red Mage that shines in the first half but peters out in the second.

• Locked thread