Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I beat Shinryu last year with a berserk ninja and 3 berserkers. I'm looking forward to what stupidity this year brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like cheating to me. I thought the whole point of the Fiesta was to make things more challenging by limiting your options, so why are we encouraging people to circumvent that?

Because grinding up to make Byblos possible with certain classes ruins the rest of the game. Also most of the people who would use it have dozens of runs to their name at this point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dancer. Team 12 hours in world 1. Feel free to replace dancer with dragoon.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 1, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leraika posted:

Gonna go in soft with purechaos for my first run, then probably a popular and then BERSERKERRRRRS

BERSERKER RISK can only be done for the first run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

What are the chances the copies of FFVA on Amazon are legit?

About the same as any other cheap electronics, nil.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

InfernoBlade posted:

I actually like this idea, since people bitch about it so much. But I want them to be able to show how to make it work, so it probably needs another job to go with it. Maybe Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/??

THat's just black mage/rune axe/black mage dressed like an idiot/a 3rd black mage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I thought it was "Chaos can pick from any of the jobs for each crystal even if they're not unlocked yet or duplicates" and "Pure Chaos is Chaos with Freelancer and Mime in the selection"

Pure Chaos is Chaos with no dupes and mime/freelancer tossed in the mix for fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ber/zer/ker/time

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

58 seems ... really low to beat him with this party. Um, might I ask how you did it?

barehanded/katana crit fishing + 2 healbots. Shell cuts down on a lot of his bullshit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually just use reflect ring + bone mail against rugwizard and wait it out if I don't have actual magic damage or spellblade. He'll usually kill himself with reflected spells and drain if he doesn't run out of mp first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So how many are currently in the tree for this year? I remember at least one year where everyone had at minimum 2, that was nuts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

Sorry, I was asleep :shobon: go for it! :)

I'll likely tally the runs and make a single donation once The Run starts, by the way.

doin dis

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The fiesta ain't even started you maniacs.

Yeah but someone's donating :10bux: for everyone who does their own version of The Run this week.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Is The Run a triple crown or just a basic kill?

Omega is technically possible but not loving happening.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Trident, Axes, and !Calm means this isn't a particularly difficult Omega kill, though. I trivially 1-shot him (and Shinryu) on my way down with very little extra preparation needed (buy a Trident, put !Calm on some people).

I forgot it had beastmaster for a second there. Still takes an eternity to plink down tho.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, The Run's job loadout is very much a quiz of how much you know the systems and mechanics of the game, and how far you're willing to go to exploit them like a sonuvabitch. Hell, even I learned something, because elmagus mentioned in his routing that he doesn't use Aquathornes for the Seal Guardians, he uses a loving sandcrawler, because it releases for Maelstrom. 40.8% chance per crystal to put them into critical HP, where any follow-up attack can wipe them.

Sandcrawler, a heavy monster with like 15k hp in world 2 that thankfully only has single target attacks to go with its maelstrom spam. Kind of a giant pain in the rear end but at least it's easy to figure out when it's catchable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hrmm, is there some bug with red dragons in this tower? I opened a chest and one popped out, I controlled it and my zerker killed it with the death sickle proc, and another one spawned....this happened 7 times in a row before I gave up and escaped. I kinda want these items, what is going on here?

Red Dragons are undead. Death spells fully heal them. Though I'm not sure why it didn't reflect the proc with its permareflect.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Run is scheduled to begin 10:00 AM EDT June 17, 2017.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

Wait, seriously? I thought the Run generally started in the evening. That's 9 AM where I live.

There's a good chance I'll miss the very end of the run because I have work... and I won''t get to start on my fiesta immediately. Small disappointments.

It usually starts around noonish, so it's a tad early this year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

What's the way to kill Omega with The Run characters? I'm totally drawing a blank.

3 on !calm while your berserker takes him down with the rune axe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Yeah it was a bug introduced in the GBA version. Don't try Omega on SFami FFV with this party.

Welp

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

At this point, the Berserker Tree is pretty much being placed under a waterfall.

It's not even 150% saturated. Y'all can do better than that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 16, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I've done that kind of brute force and ignorance kill before. Not happening today.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

Y'all are awesome :)

Right now people who've completed The Run are derra, Supremezero, Samuel Clemens, ZiegeDame, Dwall, plot.lost, Huzzah!, Detheros, ssmagus, Kliff, KharlanTree, Doom Goon, Grizzled Patriarch, Sage Grimm, oldskool, StrangeAeon, Twelve by Pies, and Bregor. That's eighteen, unless I've missed someone.

When are you calling it for last minute entries?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

When I'm ready to make the donation, i.e. more or less in the half hour after The Run starts; if you post in this thread before I post the donation screenshot, you're good. I'm not going to play rules lawyer here, it's for charity after all.

Chaotic Neutral and Somewhat Nachos' runs make a round twenty, by the way!

ePSXe shat the bed when I first got to world 3 and refuses to let me go above 60 fps no matter what I try and I was starting to worry I wasn't going to finish.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 17, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ninja/Bers/erker/Thief

Checked ahead because I was going to resubmit last year's win pics if I got ninja/ber/ser/ker again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It's the wolves by a wide margin.

Black Flames are better but they can be a pain to fight for some teams.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't seen a blue magic guide here, so here's my attempt at writing one. I'm using the GBA names here, so you'll have to look up the translation if you're playing a different version.
  • L3 Flare: Useful for getting Mighty Guard.

A surprising amount of endgame enemies are multiples of 3 and it's stronger than single target Aeroga. Sadly it only hits the physical part of ned without several casts of dark spark. Notably Almagest can be taken down to level 33 in one cast, crippling it and letting you dish out some extra damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rirse posted:

Speaking of chicken knife, I saw mention on the doc about being able to use it on a ninja with their off hand? But when I gave my ninja the dancing dagger on either hand, it would still trigger the dancing dagger script and not use the other weapon.

Use the double lance in your main hand. It hits twice and only your first 2 hits can proc anything. It's also the second best weapon the ninja can use unless you're fighting Shinryu.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rirse posted:

Oh when do you get that? I am halfway into Exdeath's Castle, so I am about to hit world 3.

There's one in meatcastle, the room with the pit puzzle that drops you in the big lava room when you gently caress it up. Otherwise you steal them from statues. Only ninjas and thieves can use them. You can also buy them in phantom village but why wait?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 21, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ledgem posted:

I'm stuck on neo exdeath with black mage, berserker, berserker, and geomancer.

I just instantly die to almagest at full health. I can't destroy that part fast enough either. Am I just screwed?

Use the wonder wand to cast shell on whichever of your non-berserkers has over 800 hp. This requires some setup before the fight and then you better hope they don't die or get petrified before you kill off the almagest part. Otherwise grind til at least one of your non-berserkers has at least 1700 hp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sure was a run

Ninja/bers/erker/thief. hosed up and had to do about 30k damage to a berserk grand cross part.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

It kills them off. If it didn't, Omega wouldn't be able to be quick-leaked. (Its Magic Defense is way too high for even Comet and Meteor to scratch the paint.)

Comet and Meteo can damage Omega about 1/3 of the time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

So thanks to Pure Chaos, looks like my party is going to be Time Mage / Bard / Mime / White Mage. I can't wait to get Mime so I can finally use something that isn't a dagger for attacking.

Prepare for disappointment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New run is free/bers/black/time. A real yawn fest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mega64 posted:

YOU CAN DUAL WIELD WHIPS

You can dualwield anything but bows and harps.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pure Chaos best chaos

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

I love how all the "worst job" discussions gravitate towards Monk or Dragoon when Red Mage is literally right there.

Red Mage gives other mage classes a nice ability if you grind exactly forever, but they themselves are nothing but a shittier version of whatever mage you already have, except with the "utility" of Raise and Protect.

Raise and Protect don't make up for them having the second-worst stamina in the game, squishier than anything but Dancers, and the rest of their stats are poo poo natively, too - if you get them in a physical team, they're just never doing damage once rodbreaking doesn't solve everything, period. Not even with a chemist boosting their levels to max.

double protect, double raise, and rod breaking are all very strong. Dualcast -ra spells are better direct offense than you can expect out of a lot of classes, notably dragoon and pre-chicken dancer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Just curios, why does everyone say Ranger sucks?

No one says that. Rapidfire is the best weapon attack in the game by miles and !animals is really strong for a lot of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

Just things like this:

A Ninja is definitely worse in the Fire job here.

If it was a standard No750 run, hmm. I never thought about this before because I always run Chaos, lets work this through:

Wind Crystal jobs are all various degrees of bad at this.
Water, you have a 50% chance of pulling a MK and guaranteeing a kill.
Fire, technically all 3 jobs can do this. You either get Calm lock (and you are guaranteed to get a job that can hurt Omega on the Water Crystal), Ninja (who can do it at VERY high levels by itself), or Ranger (who can do it at significantly lower levels than the Ninja).
Earth, Dragoon is much better than Samurai.

Honestly, Shinryu is more annoying for a lot of these parties (i.e. those without Dragoon) since your only option for berserking him is a Beastmaster. Shinryu can generally be brute-forced, as his defenses aren't as airtight.

So yeah, if you're willing to level really high if you get a Ninja and not a MK (1/6 chance), all of these parties in a normal no750 run should be able to Triple Crown.

That's not "Ranger bad", it's "Omega is a giant pain in the dick without Bard, Beastmaster, or Time Mage". Also Ninja is both good at physical attacks and comes with a no effort required aoe that synergizes well with other classes.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 29, 2017

• Locked thread