Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thinking about doing this. I've never played FFV before, but I picked it up on a Steam sale because I've heard of the 4 job fiesta for a few years.
How long does the game take to complete, usually? I'm also juggling a huge backlog and just started Yakuza 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would hop into a Discord chat as it's installed on my phone.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

It warms my heart to see so many first-time players in here. You're in for a treat.

Just prepare yourself for an onslaught of very dumb questions.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Started my first FJF and run of FFV tonight! I peeked ahead at all of my jobs and found that I have White Mage/ Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

If you want to jump along with me, you can follow me at https://www.twitch.tv/bigboswell
If there's interest, I can post here to let you know when I go live. My first stream I had some tech difficulties, so I beat the wind crytal without a mic, but I think I have that fixed now.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Shortest form, aka the stuff in !Mix that is absurd no matter what your team composition:

Turtle Shell + Maiden's Kiss: Succubus Kiss. Imagine if Drain had as much power as Flare. Yeah.
Dark Matter + Phoenix Down: Death Potion. Use this to murder things that can be murdered. (Good targets include Dragon Grass and the Seal Guardians)
Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss: Dragon Kiss. Makes a character Heavy (which gives them immunity to a lot of otherwise unresistable status poo poo) and Dragon-type. Can be used on enemies along with Dragon Whisker/Dragon Lance/Apollo's Harp for massive damage.
Phoenix Down + Potion: Resurrection. Because having Arise for free as early as World 1 isn't absurd.
Turtle Shell + Phoenix Down: Remedy. Cures pretty much everything that Dragon Kiss doesn't prevent.
Turtle Shell + Eyedrops: Hasty-Ade. It's Haste. That's all it needs to be.
Antidote + Maiden's Kiss: Levisalve. It's Float. That's all it needs to be.
Holy Water + Antidote: Samson's Might. Gives a character a temporary +10 Levels, to a max cap of 255. This is used in damage calculations, so it makes you murder better. It also makes your spells more likely to hit and the enemy's less likely to. (Hero Cocktails do the same thing, with !Drink, if you have that on a character for some reason.)
Dragon Fang + (Hi-)Potion: Dragon Power. See above, but +20 Levels. Twice as good, but needs a material you can't farm easily (or at all, before Drakenvale). The weaker version, in comparison, uses store-bought materials.

This will be very helpful to me. Can we get this and that goon Beastmaster guide somewhere in the OP for easy reference?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As I've mentioned many times before, this is my first time though FFV and the FJF. I was granted an apparently broken team of White Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

Because the FJF relies on an intimate knowledge of game mechanics that I lack, I have to ask what items/weapons/armor/accessories should I be looking for and grinding out that I would otherwise miss? I understand that Chemist can be effective with store bought items, but I don't know for what I need to be grinding.

For reference, I'm at the Garula fight at the water crystal right now. I missed the Flail my first time through the graveyard, so I went back and grabbed that with the help of the Healing Staff.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Oh man, my first Fiesta run and my first two classes are Monk and Berserker. At least they play well together in the long run, so there's that. Something tells me I'm going to be hitting troubled waters soon though. Has anyone thought about doing something like this for Bravely Default / Bravely Second? I actually did something pretty much exactly like a FF5 Fiesta for both and they turned out amazingly fun.

I would like to at both of those games some day, and a community challenge like this would give me a great incentive to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

And thus concludes my first run though FFV, my first FJF, and my first Triple Crown. Because it was my first time through the game, I did every side quest I could minus getting all pianos, Catobleas, and Carbuncle (I really should have gotten those two for completion sake). I enjoyed the liberties they took in this game for a 25 year old RPG. The characters were quirky and well written, which was a nice change of pace from other RPGs I've played. I did have a few complaints, but I can forgive them because 25 year old RPG.

I was blessed with what is apparently the strongest or second strongest team I could have gotten.

White Mage: Baller. Garula was painful, but otherwise this class was stupidly powerful. I didn't even take advantage of it for most of the game, neglecting to use fun things like Blink and Protect.
Mystic Knight: I loved having a damage dealer, and Break Blade was an MVP.
BEastmaster: I can see the utility, but I wasn't hot on it. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, so the combo of trying to prepare for fights with Catch, Control, and Calm was wasted because I didn't want to walk into a fight where Calm or Control was useless. Catch is a one shot, and then a wasted command, and even then you have to prep for it. He probably enables a lot of teams that otherwise would be stuck, but mehhh.
Chemist: OP. For the low cost of grinding Turtle Shells, you could simultaneously be the best healer and damage dealer on the team. Resurrection, Succubus Kiss, and Hi Potion were what I used most of the game. I barely scratched the surface.

QoL improvements I wish were in place:
- Let me continue to see the monster's HP after I libra it for the first time.
- Store the Mix and its effect once I use it so I don't have to keep my phone handy if I want to use something other than Resurrection/Succubus Kiss.
- If the enemy is in counter stance, give me a notification of some sort so I don't have to trial and error it.
- Same but innate reflect and undead.
- Encounter rate was way too high in some areas without a Repel effect.
- Running from battles took too much time randomly.

All in all, I am very glad I got to finish the game and (almost) all it had to offer. I felt fuzzy at the ending because I am a child. Thank you to everyone who answered questions and listened to my complaints!

• Locked thread