Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sounds like cheating to me. I thought the whole point of the Fiesta was to make things more challenging by limiting your options, so why are we encouraging people to circumvent that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The event is for charity though. If you don't like a job you've been given, you replace it at the job fair. Using a mod that makes things easier completely defeats the purpose of that, so I think that's really lovely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So why not donate to the job fair instead?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If it's just to reduce the tedium, the job fair can do that just as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Why not just Job Fair yourself the best party and not even bother with that whole silly random party thing? I don't get it. Why bother letting a bot determine what you use when you can just pick whatever you want? I mean, if you're just gonna grind anyway, why not skip the tedium and just Job Fair it!

Are you trying to say that donating a bunch of money to charity would be a bad thing?

Like that's the whole point of it. You get a random party, and if you don't like it you can donate money to change it. Yeah, you can buy the perfect party with the job fair, but you'd also be donating a bunch of money on charity, and that's great. Modifying the game to make certain parties less difficult or less tedious goes against the spirit of the event.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd donate every penny I had if goons stopped using "dying on a hill" to shut down a conversation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

What if I'm perfectly happy with how the party I was given plays for 90% of the game except this one early boss? Am I supposed to use the :siren:JOB FAIR:siren: to change my party for that one fight, then again to change back afterwards?

Yes, or just suck it up and grind it out. The job fair is the price you pay for not having to do that, if you want. What's wrong with donating to charity? That's the whole point of this event.

The guy running it probably doesn't have time to inspect every single screenshot to make sure they're valid. There's always been a strong element of trust in this. If you really wanted, you could cheat your rear end off in a wide variety of ways and nobody would be the wiser. I don't think that modding the game is on the same level as outright cheating, but it still goes against the spirit of the event, and that's why I don't think it should be encouraged ITT.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's beating a randomly assigned challenge where your options are constrained. Modding the game to change those constraints goes against that. I don't think this is a difficult concept.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

Im using the jobs the bot gave me. I dont see the problem.

You're changing the game so that the jobs the bot gave you are less challenging or less tedious. That's the problem.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Really? Because if changing things to adjust the constraints to be more fair to the player is contrary to the spirit then so too is the Job Fair but you don't have a problem with that.

Surely, then, the spirit has more to do with the charity drive rather then "you must play the game this way otherwise you are doing it wrong"?

Which leads me to my follow up question:

If the patch is such a problem to you why not do the sensible thing and make a pledge ITT for, say, $1/clear that doesn't use it to a max of $100? Surely that would be better for both the thread AND the spirit of the event than whining that people are having fun wrong.

That's not exactly a new thing and regardless of how much you complain about it, people are going to use it/not use it at their own discretion.

But you donate money to use the job fair. That's the whole point. Using the mod circumvents that, even if it's just for one boss or whatever. You're cheating to get out of donating money to charity.

I'm not saying that you have to play the game a certain way. Like I already said, you can cheat your rear end off and nobody would know. I'm sure plenty of people already have. I think that's lovely, but no amount of complaining will change it.

My problem isn't that people cheat, it's that cheating is being encouraged ITT.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

If anything it makes the charity more money to use the mod because someone who has to fight sandworm with four zerkers because all other jobs are from the earth crystal more than once ever will just stop playing the game and never return in a fit of rage.

(I'll still not use it though and end up having to kill thousands of Nakks)

You know, I hadn't considered that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I know it's kind of old, but if it doesn';t get you in the mood for Fiesta, I don't know what will.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Preregistration starts in June, the Fiesta proper starts roughly two weeks later, and it ends on September 1st.

Just in time for Stormblood :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

I've done about 15 fiesta runs before and have long since memorized the text.

• Locked thread