Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make sure you get the three songs before leaving World 1. AoE Stop and Confuse are wonderful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Monk. Boring as gently caress and already pretty iffy in a few W1 fights (Garula, Byblos for examples), let alone the other two worlds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As soon as you unlock Bard you get access to AoE Stop and Confuse. Randoms become trivial. And that's just World 1.

Bards own.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a pretty huge departure from the SNES/GBA versions, where an enemy couldn't be in the back row unless there was another enemy in front of it.

There's an exception or two here and there, like Sandworm is always back-row (probably due to the holes and weird gimmick).

But Matrix making a fight more difficult with dumb bullshit does not surprise me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Austere things posted:

So, final tally ends up being Geo/Monk/Zerker/Zerker

Since that seems to mean nothing but lots of hits (and some occasional, mostly ineffectual, halfhearted spells) is my only hope for the last stretch of the game to grind up enough levels that the party can take hits to the face and continue on? I can't think of any really good synergy to use for this group, aside from slapping the hp+ on everyone to give them a bit of a boost, and I'm already assuming the triple crown is far, far out of reach of this group of punchy misfits.

Geomancer's magic makes Rune Axe/Gaia Hammer decent for them.

Otherwise, I'm so sorry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Are you using fast-forward? I've had the latter happen a couple times with the enhanced sound hack when loading a game with fast forward enabled (though more often I get silence until I get into a battle or whatever), though the former is new to me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Ayyy. That's exactly why I'm doing this Toxx.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Titan has the Gaia Hammer as a rare steal. Twin Lance for your Thief from Statues. Genji gear, of course. Reflect Rings from Reflect Mages if you don't want to bother grinding Barrier Tower. Thornlets from Lamia Queens if you're playing SNES/PS1 for underflow magic glitch. The Rift has Aegis Sheilds from Gorgimera and Bone Mails from Necromancers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

I also just donated :10bux: to add some zerkers to the pool. :getin:

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

Done, and done! No Brave Blade for this team, sadly.

Team: Red Mage / Dancer / White Mage / Knight

Not too shabby. Dancers wreck face with the Strength boost from Equip Swords, and of course Dualcast White Magic is awesome. I had pretty bad luck with Sword Dances but I still managed.

Omega gave me some trouble, but after some grinding and enough attempts I beat him down with Coral Sword Dance spam. It was a fun time!

Might even do a second run this year for once, though I've got enough on my plate for now that it'll probably be a while.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Only your White Mage will really be able to take advantage of Dualcast, so you only need to grind it on one character (and honestly you don't really need Dualcast at all with that team, but without it Red Mage is pointless so).

If it were me I'd probably go White Mage with !Dualcast, !White6 on Bard and MK, and !Sing on Red Mage's dumpy rear end (or Equip Harps to make their stats less terrible).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress it, let's do another run. For now, "Live Off The Land", no buying magic, equipment, or items, everything else fair game. Of course, this may change if I want to ditch it.

So far so good, though!

e: Karlabos wasn't too bad.

Finally got seven Daggers!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So uhh, I may have overleveled a bit grinding rare drops. At least the flame rod will be worth it, as I unlocked Summoner!

Is this even still a challenge at this point

Mega64
May 23, 2008

...This was supposed to be a challenge run, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought part of the whole point of a "live off the land" challenge was to avoid grinding for drops and just using whatever the RNG deigns to bless you with?

Oops!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Finally got Holy! Now all enemies will quake in fear at my Dualcasting might.

...so, any point in going for the last two tablets? Not for the weapons but for the treasures within the areas, and such.

Depends on your party, honestly. Great Sea Trench has crap except Meteor, but is a great grind spot if you have Bard (or White Mage to a lesser extent) since everything is undead. Istory Falls has a few neat things like the Titan Axe for Zerks, a second Aegis Shield, and an additional Enhancer if you have both MK and RM (or two of each).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final party: Ninja / Summoner / Dancer / Beastmaster

After Karnak, things actually get a bit difficult. There's literally no new knives that are found/dropped in World 1 besides the Main Gauche. Luckily there's two Moonring Blades, but my offense is getting kinda dire, though fortunately I have Summoner to pick up the slack. I also have no reliable healing since I can't even stock up on regular-rear end Potions easily.

All I can do is stock up on bears and Flame Scrolls and hope for the best in World 2!

e:

YOU CAN DUAL WIELD WHIPS

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 24, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't think anyone would complain if you did that. It's for charity and all.

But before you do, it might help to know that Ifrit is vulnerable to both Silence and Confuse. Silence stops Fira (but not Blaze) but wears off after a bit, and though the Zerkers will break Confuse it's nice for slowing Ifrit down a bit. Protect is useful for Ifrit's physicals too.

Of course, Byblos isn't vulnerable to those and will probably be harder...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Can't get L5 Death until World 3, sadly. Page 64 from the Ancient Library (or Executors from Island Shrine if AL's already gone).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I assume you're doing a run without purchasing anything in store?

Yeah, though I'm grinding drops so it's more a "No Buy" run than a "Live Off The Land" run. Still an interesting shake up, but not something I'd recommend for all teams (Black/White/Time Mages would get particularly screwed unless you made an exception for magic). I'm lucky I got the team I did for this run, though!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's perfectly fine. If you're not having fun, no need to stick with the jobs! That's what the job fair is for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Hermes Sandals grind is going well!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Poltergeists on the Steamship have Hi-Potions as Steals. Might be worth your time grabbing a few for the boss there (and you may want to go back after the dungeon, depending on your next job).

Use a map for Karnak and focus on important items. Main Gauche and Elven Mantle are musts, Ribbon's worth it just for the chance of rolling Dancer later, and might as well grab the cash chests since they don't have enemies. You might want to steal Mage Mashers from Sorcerers there too in case you're still stuck with Thief/Zerker for Ancient Library after you get the next job, though it may be tough to do with the time limit and Zerkers Always Zerking.

Mainly pray your Fire job is Ninja or Beastmaster so Byblos isn't a nightmare.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

berenzen posted:

So what would you consider the slowest possible Chaos 750 team? Because I got TIM/WHM/RED/TIM>GEO, and holy poo poo I'm dreading trying to slog through world 2 and 3 with this team. Yeah, it's a triple crown, but at the cost of my sanity.

Slowest would probably be that party except replace Red Mage with Bard.

Learn to love Gravity attacks, save up a lot of money for rods, and pray !Gaia is good to you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reminder that Power Staff is pointless since every job that can use it has other ways to Berserk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The other relevant W2 bosses weak to Instant Death are Dragon Pod and Boatmesh (and Enkidu but I think killing Boatmesh immediately would nullify Enkidu coming in), so it depends on whether you want to fight two extra Prototypes to bother with those bosses' gimmicks.

Also, you don't necessarily need to kill all four crystal seals with instant death. Both Firaga and Aeraga can be reflected, and you've got Float so Earth Crystal should be trivial as well. If you're going to grind for Reflect Rings anyway, you may only want to instant death the Water Crystal, and of course you could always just damage rush it with Drain Kisses and physicals instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

What's up with Equip Rods, though, why does it exist. Ninja with the sick dual Morning Star action?? (wait that's a staff, drat it)

Equip Rods includes staves so yes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I did #RegPopular and got Thief/ Ninja/ Ranger/ Dancer. that team is buns and I want to change either Thief or Dancer but I can't decide what to

Change Thief. !Animals and a sick offense will carry that team to W3, at which point you'll have !Rapidfire and Thief Knife. You'll want !Dance to burn down Almagest part for Neo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The Poison Eagles in Drakenvale can cast levitate if confused, but they start with 0 MP so you have to shove an Ether into them.

You'll also want to cast Blink on them so they don't kill themselves with physicals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

Do people just not loving bother to read the item lore?

I've got a new rom hack request.

Bonus points if the twelve legendary weapons have grisly Drakengard-esque weapon stories.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

jaclynhyde posted:

I'm currently on Byblos with Knight (!Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, and !Steal) and Beastmaster (!Scan and Sprint) and I hate everything

Edit: Next Beastmaster ability gave me... !White. :negative:

Byblos is vulnerable to Paralyze and isn't Heavy. Whips trivialize him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the solo White Mage strat for Byblos is to run him out of MP while chugging Elixirs so...

Archenteron posted:

Fiesta mod to unlock all jobs, don't tell RK.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Freelancer for that set would be sick with Thief's speed, !Rapidfire, and !White.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Do you have Death Sickles? They're vulnerable to Instant Death. e: Nevermind, thought you had Berserker for some reason.

Beastmaster could capture that large creature in the desert outside the Moogle Forest. It uses Maelstrom and might snag a couple of the Crystals, leaving them to be easily picked off. I imagine this would still work for iOS, though it also wouldn't surprise me if they changed it. Crystals have good magic evade though so it might miss most/all of them.

Otherwise, you can pray for Sword Dance. Knight with !Dance and Dancer with Equip Swords should do some good damage.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 26, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, my bad. Thought I read you had Berserker for some reason.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Link for those who want to join.

Rolled Crono/Frog/Robo, gently caress yeah. Though no clue when I'll actually start playing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I found some cheats for the SNES version if you're using an emulator to set your characters to whomever, but the game doesn't really cope well with them. Messing around with a Marle/Frog/Robo party leads to some pretty weird stuff in the Millenial Fair, to the point where I teleported Marle off, managed to leave, then softlocked the game when trying to teleport Marle agian. Might be worth doing for laughs, though.

At your own risk...

Position 1: 7E2980:??
Position 2: 7E2981:??
Position 3: 7E2982:??

Replace ?? with the following for each character:

00 - Crono
01 - Marle
02 - Lucca
03 - Robo
04 - Frog
05 - Ayla
06 - Magus