Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Ready for another fiesta season!

I probably won't use the fiesta mod this time. That being the case, I might go back to the SNES version of the game. Is there any compelling reason to stick with the GBA version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I've done about 15 fiesta runs before and have long since passed the point of paying much attention to the text.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The job fair might be changed. It seems a little silly to limit it by crystal given the existence of chaos and purechaos.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

theshim posted:

Let's see if I get something besides Water Crystal jobs this year!

Your wish is granted: four geomancers!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's no getting around the fact that when you boot up a ROM, you're violating the law.

Welp, guess I'd better do this year's fiesta on the one legitimate copy of FFV I own - the PSX version.

Okay not really. I'd do it for a donation incentive or something, but otherwise I gotta have my emulator fast forward button.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Chalk me up as another one who would like a #regunpopular. I get bored with runs with the really good classes since they're too easy. The #krile command for a fifth job could be an interesting way to shake up a team, especially on a chaos or random run.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

How about a non-mage at wind crystal and a Time Mage at the water crystal so they might actually have to use !Gaia for offense sometimes but can still use the Geomancer as a secondary mage. My suggestion is Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Let's see some Swords Dances with actual swords. My only problem with this party is it might make it too hard for them beat Omega without quickleaking.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

InfernoBlade posted:

Water crystal is Berserker. That's the only thing I'm putting all $5000 towards. I figure if we're spreading the love around enough to make #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER happen, the run needs one too.

The other jobs I'm actually having RK basically split the money so that I only put +500 towards them, that way others can override me this time if they want to. At least on everything but the berserker.

As such here's what I'm going to tell RK to do unless someone convinces me otherwise in the next couple hours:
Wind: Thief +500
Water: Berserker + 5000
Fire: Beastmaster + 500
Earth: Dragoon + 500

I don't think this is a particularly mean party, but it's also not particularly easy. IMO there's none of the broken classes in there, but it also lacks any real forms of magic damage or healing so that's going to make it a bit difficult to work with.

Give 'em White Mage at wind maybe? That would make it very close to my very first fiesta party which was White/Berserker/Beastmaster/Samurai. That was a really good and fun party once it got going.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Let's do this. Pure chaos with fifth job and RISK. I'm ready.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Vil posted:

Speaking of, has there been a declaration of whether you lose the earth job's abilities in the Krile variant, or just the job itself (keeping any pre-learned abilities but no longer having the option of hopping on the job)? The official rules page didn't deign to clarify the point.

My understanding is you're not supposed to use anything from the previous earth job. That might make things awkward if you get Freelancer on a purechaos run, though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Define worst. I had a team of Geomancer/Geomancer/Red Mage/Time Mage last year. It was a completely horrid team saved only by the Time Mage. I quickleaked both Omega and Shinryu, but I wasn't proud of it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That's the more amusing way to defeat Byblos, but Beastmasters can also just paralyze him with their whips.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Why would you add noses, you monster.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Novasol posted:

Rethinking my decision to use the Fiesta mod.

:negative:

!Gaia is reasonably useful up to Karnak. Just hope you get something that can deal damage at the water crystal since !Gaia is completely useless in the steam-powered ship.

I've got a Red Mage and three Berserkers. Not sure if that's better or worse than last year's Dragoon and three Berserkers. At least this team gets an empowered Rune Axe and can heal without items.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just hit the Fire crystal and Gilgabot has given me Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/? so far. What's better for a Mystic Knight? Two Handing or Dual Wielding? Also, is this setup decent so far? Kind of worried about not having mages yet (Normal Run).

Edit: Alternatively, can I Spellblade the two daggers that Ninjas wield?

I would suggest dual-wield usually. Maybe two-hand if you get a good sword upgrade and don't have a duplicate, like the Ancient Sword. A good rule of thumb for what can be used for spellblade is if Mystic Knight can equip it naturally then it will work, otherwise not. That includes most knives and swords, but excludes the Ninja-only knives and swords. I don't remember if the Knight-only swords work or not.

Don't worry about lack of magic. Mystic Knight can deal with almost anything that would normally require magic. That's quite a strong party anyway. If I signed up for a no750 run I could hardly expect better.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Berserker isn't so bad when you have decent passive abilities to stick on them. Having three of them really sucks if only because if my one controllable character gets killed or incapacitated I'm in a lot of trouble.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Got another Basch victory for the pile.

It was Red Mage and Tri-Zerkers for most of the game. #Fifthjob replaced a Berserker with a Geomancer, which sadly was an improvement.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

UberJew posted:

on my first fiesta and I am presently stonewalled with Monk at Garula, it is not a great fight

The strategy for Garula with a physical party like that is to only have one character in the front row attacking while the other three stay in the back row either defending or healing with potions as necessary.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm closing on on completing my first Fiesta run! I'm in World 3 and am not sure what I'll need to do/skip and where the best level grinding spots are for this party.

Knight (Brave Blade / Excalibur) / Mystic (Dual Wield) / Ninja (Assassin Dagger / Thief Knife, !Spellblade for stats?) / Dragoon (Holy Lance, !Spellblade for stats?)

I'm two tablets in and don't think I really need the other tablets considering I'm swords/knives/spears only. Shinryu might be on the table assuming I drop the Excalibur and Holy Lance, but I'm assuming Omega's out?

Skip the third tablet in the trench, but do the Istory waterfall dungeon even if you have no need of the tablet. You can get an Aegis shield there, as well as an Enhancer the best weapon a Mystic Knight can use naturally (there's a second Enhancer in the Void if you're dual-wielding). Equip Swords would give more useful stats to the Ninja and Dragoon than Spellblade unless you're still using the Ninja's !Throw.

Level grind in the Void, in the Ronkan Ruin area near where you can enter frozen Mirage village for easy access to the heal pot there.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Don't I need to do Fork Tower in order to get access to the sub so I can do most of these extra areas? How do I do a mage tower with only phys jobs?

You've got Mystic Knight and can shut down the magic boss with Silence spellblade.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Rebelle Winter posted:

I drew Beastmaster with my last crystal so I can hold down Omega, but my other jobs are Samurai, Dancer, and Thief so I'm not sure if I actually have a way to kill him.

Chicken Knife Sword Dance is your best bet.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

If you're still doing this, I've got one. Though using the GBA version Beastmaster on Omega is kind of cheating.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Rune Chime would probably work to at least do damage.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Cool, I was thinking about doing a randomized fiesta run anyway. If I'm reading this right, you're requesting that we not do it as an official Fiesta run though?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'm interested but skeptical. Chrono Trigger doesn't exactly have the variety of character builds as FFV. Simply having an excuse to replay CT would be nice, I'll admit.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

I mean it would be interesting if you had a Romhack that granted the characters randomised abilities on levelup.

So you have a Magus or something that has a bunch of Chrono's physical attacks.

Or Lucca with Lightning. Oh god that would be ridiculous.

A Chrono Trigger hack in the style of FF6 Beyond Chaos would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Got a party without Crono. Am I correct in thinking he can't be removed from the party except when the plot removes him? Been a while since I played CT.

• Locked thread