Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Has anyone played with both the Fiesta and Balance mods? Wondering if there's any possible weird interactions I should be worried about.
They're both my mods, I can update a compatible version of them when I have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Greetings, Fiesta-havers, I've started a small project to make this year's Fiesta extra spicy! It's about 60% done, but I just finished coding one of the more complex pieces, so here's a preview:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Hello, Fiesta veterans. Do you find your Fiesta runs lacking? Are you getting tired of seeing awful Geomancers and boring Dragoons in your Fiesta party? Do you wish you could have something more... exciting? Try spicing up your next Fiesta with a new...

:siren: Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer:siren:

Just drag a Final Fantasy V Advance (US only!) ROM onto the randomizer and get two randomized ROMs in return! You can even use patched ROMs, as long as they don't change job skills. That's right, you can randomize Fiesta Patch and Sound Patch if that's what your heart desires! The program will also spit out two text files that summarize the changes in each ROM.

The first ROM you'll get is the Mild edition, which randomizes what the default skill of a job is, and the skill tree (i.e. what skills you get when you level it up.) The second ROM is the Extra Spicy edition, which does the same thing as the Mild edition...

:siren::siren::siren:...except it's different for every character!!!:siren::siren::siren:

That's right, in the Extra Spicy ROM, a Bartz Monk will have a different skill loadout than a Faris Monk. For example:
code:
Bartz Monk
    Default: !Revive
    Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
    Skill 1: 40 !White 3
    Skill 2: 80 Equip Armour
    Skill 3: 200 Dual Wield
    Skill 4: 280 Equip Ribbon
Faris Monk
    Default: !Drink
    Skill 0: 30 !White 2
    Skill 1: 65 !Lance
    Skill 2: 90 !Spellblade 4
    Skill 3: 200 !Flee
    Skill 4: 440 !Mug
Note: This is still under development as there are a few bugs with the Extra Spicy edition, but it should be mostly functional. I am aware that some parts of the menu doesn't correctly reflect AP costs at the moment. If you find any bugs, or there are specific features you want, let me know!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

So what happens if you just get say White lvl 4? Do you only get level 4 white spells, or everything below?
Everything up to level 4. Although that reminds me there might be a problem with how FF5 currently handles spell skills.

neongrey posted:

I've had a couple jobs show spellblade in their extraspicy lists but they're not selectable.
Do you mean you unlocked the skill but it's not appearing in the menu? That might be an annoying "feature" of the original game that requires you to learn all the lower level skills first, I'll update the randomizer to fix that ASAP!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

neongrey posted:

Yeah. Yay!
Updated the randomizer! It's the same link as the original post. The randomizer now applies a fix to let magic levels work properly. If you already have a randomized ROM that you need fixed, the second program (spell-fix) will only apply the fix and leave the rest unchanged.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Txn posted:

About the Fiesta patch, it also randomized the extra classes with an interesting result

The Gladiator was my second Time Mage and surprisingly both the Necromancer and Oracle were intact at least for Bartz. I know that those classes are never going to be used in a Fiesta but I still found it funny.
Hmm, maybe I added the dummy data incorrectly. Thanks for the report!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Miacis posted:

I imagine the randomizer was the main focus lately, but if this still happening? Last year I was blessed with MNK/MYS Fists of Fire, and I don't think I can ever go back to vanilla monks anymore.
Yeah, I just need to go back to an older version of Balance patch from my backups (because the current one has a bunch of testing code everywhere) and merge it with Fiesta mod.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Hello, I have added the Balance+Fiesta patch for those of you who were interested in it! You can pick it up here. I've also updated the readme with the link so you don't have to bookmark this post!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Huzzah! posted:

Has the base Fiesta mod been updated to include Mime unlocked?
I checked both patches and that seems to be the case for both!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Bufuman posted:

I will openly admit that I had to savestate abuse this one, because as I mentioned earlier, I HAD NO !ITEM COMMAND because the Balance Mod failed to add it to my list of abilities when switching to Mime (seriously Can of Worms, if you're reading this please look into that, I wouldn't want anyone else to get stuck without that command when they really need it, this was NOT a fun battle).

EDIT 2: OK, what seems to happen is that !Attack and !Item are missing from the list when you first bring up the Ability menu on someone... but if you switch to someone else with L or R, the commands appear on their list. That's an interesting bug. Well, now I know for future reference.
Oh, thanks for the report! No idea why that's happening at the moment.

Doom Goon posted:

Okay! I'm doubling this :toxx: again from last time to $1 per goon who finishes a Randomizer run before the end (up to $20 total). I also meant to post this a few days ago (whoops!) so I'll extend it a few days as well. Check the post.

Also, I could have sworn I hit a bug and was missing abilities, but the only one that hasn't eventually popped up seems to be !Kick (good riddance) which was my Knight's Skill 1 (I seem to remember missing !Flirt but that's there now). It might be worth using a cheat code beforehand to check if they all unlock properly.
!Kick might be hardcoded to not appear in the list of skills. It's not really a great skill anyway so I might remove it in future iterations.

I'm pretty annoyed that this summer sapped all my free time due to real life stuff, didn't even get the chance to update balance mod! :argh: I'm still stuck on my first Fiesta run too, just finished Big Bridge... gotta wrap this up!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Getting the Death proc is so swingy. I had two rounds where the first three crystals fell in a few swings but the last crystal would just absolutely not budge. I even had it setup so everyone was Mini with Regen, and the crystal had regen so I had to do was set the emulator on fastforward and wait for the proc and IT. NEVER. CAME. Eventually I reset, and on that try the crystals fell almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Finally wrapped up my Extra Spicy run... and my only run... :negative:

It was a fresh experience compared to a standard FF5 playthrough and had a lot of unique moments. I started off with Knight, and Bartz lucked in to the best ability with !Dance although Faris had !Smoke to help with escapes. !Dance alone was enough to mow down most enemies in World 1. Then I got Berserker since I Berserker Risked, and I hit my first decision point: Who to make Berserkers? Galuf had the worst skill tree (Counter, !Flirt, Vigilance, !Gaia and Equip Harp...) so he was out, but everyone else had some solid stuff. Lenna in particular had Dual Wield and !Drink, but I made Bartz the berserker so for the majority of the run as my future jobs were better on the other characters.

My other two jobs were Bard and Samurai, and my Bards were pretty interesting since they had !Spellblade 6 (Bartz), !White 6 (Lenna), !Black 6 (Galuf) and !Dualcast (Faris) between them. The Samurais were more lackluster with !Catch (Bartz), !Mineuchi (Lenna), !Dance (Galuf) and !Kick (Faris)... which turned out to be completely useless so I'll be removing that from the randomizer when I get around to it. My game plan for skill collecting was to have Galuf pick up !Call in the Knight tree, Lenna would pick up !White 4 and !Black 5 in the Samurai tree while Faris stayed as a Bard to serve as a dualcaster, eventually getting !Time 4 and Two-Handed. Interestingly, I switched Krile to Bard to have some more offense for the world 2 Exdeath fight which turned out to be the right decision.

Once everyone picked up their skills, I rotated Bard to Krile to have some offensive magic and switched Lenna to Samurai to pick up Equip Rods and Faris to Samurai to fill the gap until I beat the Pyramid, at which point Faris became the Berserker since she had no more worthwhile skills to use now that I had Hermes Sandals, and Bartz and Krile entered their roles as a dancing duo while Lenna served as a healer backup. The final team set up for NED ended up being a Dancing Bartz with !Time and Excalibur, healer Lenna with Equip Rods for access to the Healing Staff and the Sage Staff, Dancing Krile with !Call for some judicious Golem summons and Berserker Faris. The NED fight was tense as Lenna did not have the HP to survive Almagest, even with Shell so I was constantly reviving her. Eventually I got NED into his desperation mode and Lenna got killed, but he was one swing away from death!

Overall it was a fun experience, but I did pick up on some things to fix with the randomizer for the future:
  • Lower the overall AP costs of the last few skills so they can actually be picked up in a regular playthrough without grinding
  • Make the Equip skills lower on the tree since they're not actually that great for most of the game
  • Curate the skill distribution better
  • Add some extra code to reveal the trees in-game so players don't have to consult a text file all the time. That one's going to take a lot of work though. :v:

Bufuman posted:

Quick question on the Balance Mod (though I'm sure Can of Worms is sick of hearing from me about it by now :sweatdrop:), was the Mythril Spear adjusted to be earth elemental? Because it's hitting for 0 damage against Archeoaevis and that's the only explanation I can think of. My Trident and the various daggers are hitting for normal damage, but obviously the former will be out for the 4th and 5th phases of the fight and I can't doublehand the latter.
Hmm, I have no idea why that's happening. According to my notes it shouldn't have any elements. Also the Mythril Spear has 30 attack and Archaeovis has 30 defense in its first form, so maybe it's just that? I'll do some testing with that to see if there's anything up.

• Locked thread