Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I haven't played FFV before, looking forward to taking part in this :)

What's the GBA emulator of choice these days?

A Game Boy Micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Obviously owning a copy of the GBA game is impractical for most people right now, but if you use a ROM of it I don't think it'd be inappropriate to donate the cost to charity. Game with honour.

If not this, then at least finish your fiesta runs in a day so you can comply with the law and delete the ROMs after 24 hours like all of the rest of us do.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Alright, so for myself I'd structure everything to maximize the chances of me actually finishing five runs. This means going for speed and variety as opposed to power or worrying about superbosses.

First:
Time Mage, Red Mage, Berserker, Monk
Barehanded Berserker will handle everything Death Sickles can't until somewhere around Neo Exdeath. At which point we can jump on the "two characters can fling five Meteors a turn" thing, and the Monk can play Protect monkey.

Mystic Knight, Dancer, Thief, Dragoon
Dragoon works with basically nothing, so might as well toss it here. That is, with the one class that can give it something useful: Equip Ribbons. Sword Magic makes Thief not a joke and Dancer amusing.

Summoner, Black Mage, Geomancer, Samurai
Team wipe the board. Geomancer's there to give Summoner and Black Mage something to do if I feel like conserving MP before !Iainuki. It's also for an ever so slightly nice bit of synergy: the Rune Chime, should I choose to hate myself, is a second Magus Rod for boosting both Syldra and Phoenix without weapon swaps.

White Mage, Knight, Beastmaster, Bard
Team Equip Shields.

No really. They're gonna steal four Aegis Shields in the endgame and laugh at Neo Exdeath while they hack away in their invincibility. On the way there Knights want Brave Blade (because someone has to love the weapon) and the Bard's status songs work well with actually fighting battles, as do !Catching things and using White Magic.

Chemist, Blue Mage, Ninja, Ranger
Team overpowered.

I mean, there's more than four overpowered jobs in FFV, so what're you gonna do? Chemist makes any team good but it's so tedious winning with a Chemist and some subset of Monk/Thief/Geomancer/Red Mage/whatever. Instead, Chemist is here to improve everyone! Ninja and Ranger equip !Rapid Fire and get level boosted. Blue Mage equips Drink (I mean, I could use !Mix as well but let's be different) for double HP to White Wind everyone to health and then to chug Power Drinks and fling boosted Goblin Punch Excalipoors. Chemist buffs everyone and would play support if everything weren't going to die basically instantly after two rounds of setup.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

never, ever take the brave blade

Man, I take it and use it because it's worse than the Chicken Knife. If I've only got a single Knight it's likely I'm actually just gonna use the Defender because weapon block and free Protect beats 50% extra attack basically all the time.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon sounds like a really boring team to play, honestly. Not hard (you've got White Mage after all), just uninteresting because of the lack of synergies.

Lack of synergies?

White Mage gets...
...Equip Axes from Berserker for actual pre-Holy offense.
...Ditto for Equip Whips from Beastmaster, plus !Catch never goes out of style.
...!Lance for infinite MP from Dragoon

Berserker gets...
...!White from White Mage for amped Rune Axe/Gaia Hammer power
...Equip Whips from Beastmaster for speed and accurate back row power pre-Gaia Hammer
...Equip Lances from Dragoon if you're going Shinryuu hunting, although I'll admit the Whip's a better option in every way.

Beastmaster gets...
...!White from White Mage for boosting the spellcasting whips (plus, you know, it's White Magic, it's always good).
...Berserk from Beastmaster to boost lackluster attack power through randoms, or Equip Axes because you got multiple Death Sickles and they're good for most of the game.
...Okay, so there's nothing really from Dragoon that's too exciting.

Dragoon gets...
...!White is always good, but that's not really a synergy.
...Equip Axes for three more points of Strength!
...Equip Whips because the imagery of doing a jump attack with a whip is funny?

Okay so Dragoon's mostly a nonstarter with synergy but that's the class's biggest con anyway so whatever. There's a lot of stuff working together and it sounds like a fun team to run with. Powerful enough to have an easy time with everything*, but not so strong you don't have to think.

*Omega would be "fun". Technically doable, I think, but I wouldn't recommend it. Unless, of course, you're on the GBA version. In which case, enjoy your Omega Medal.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Supremezero posted:

:shrug: Beastmaster gives Calm, so your problem with Omega essentially boils down to "taking for god drat ever".

Unless you happen to be on one of the multitude of platforms where this doesn't apply,. At which point I fall back on my initial description of "fun".

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rirse posted:

Asked before, but what the best translation these days for the SNES release? I know the RPGe one is the original one that been around for about twenty years, but I saw a patch last year that suppose to update it, probably getting the names to match the GBA translation.

Honestly wish someone just backport the GBA translation to the SNES version instead but that probably not happening.

The overhaul didn't even do that much, actually. It's basically indistinguishable from the RPGe translation aside from a few minor cleanups.

As for backporting the GBA translation, that's likely not going to happen. There's the technical barriers, for one. FFV's text is all stored uncompressed. Meaning, one character is one byte. The GBA translation is a lot more wordy and thus would require more space. That alone isn't an insurmountable problem: modern emulators can handle SNES roms of quite large size. However, you'd have to move text into that new space and then repoint everything. Again, that's not impossible, nor does it require any special romhacking skills. A knowledge of how to use a hex editor and how SNES pointers (and pointers in general) work would be all that's required. No, the trouble would be the tedium. You'd have to check every single line of dialogue and every single incidental monster attack to be sure you didn't mess up a pointer location or forget an EOL character and cause everything to break. That's not only a long process, but it's a boring long process.

The bigger barrier is the ethical one. Note, I don't say legal: romhacking is a legal gray area as it is and I'm not qualified to comment on it. So, we're talking an ethical issue. That is, there are a few unspoken rules about romhacks. One of them is only distributing original work, and not any of the original creator's. Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

• Locked thread