Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'd suggest Bizhawk, actually; it has Lua scripting, though I'm not sure how good it is for GBA games.

(OpenEmu is a thing if you're on a Mac, but doesn't have Lua, unfortunately.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

RME posted:

is there a way to get the fiesta patch with sound restoration, or should i just use sound resto and unlock the jobs other ways

Yes, apply Fiesta patch first, then the sound restoration patch. If someone wants a combined patch for this, let me know.

(Would be lovely if someone made a patch that added !Red Lv4...)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Aerdan posted:

Yes, apply Fiesta patch first, then the sound restoration patch. If someone wants a combined patch for this, let me know.

(Would be lovely if someone made a patch that added !Red Lv4...)

And here's the combined Fiesta + Sound Restoration patch. If an IPS patch is preferable, let me know.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

OzFactor posted:

Procedural question: I play on iOS and thus don't have a mod. What do I do if I get a Fire or Earth job at the Wind Crystal and then a Water (or Wind) job at Water? Do I run all four as the Water Crystal job?

Example: I roll Dragoon-Berserker-Dancer-Chemist. Am I Quadzerking through Ronka, or do I consider my first and third jobs to be Freelancer until I get the real jobs?

If you don't have access to a job, you run with the jobs you have access to (or freelancer if none are available).

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kyrosiris posted:

Random, Chaos, and presumably Pure Chaos can all receive multiple berserkers.

Pure Chaos can only do so with RISK.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is Visual Boy Advance the de facto GBA emulator for this, since I'm reading the GBA version is the best version?

You might prefer VBA-m (has Windows and macOS binaries) or Bizhawk (or OpenEmu, on macOS).

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

jyrque posted:

* GILGAM

Am reminded of a Jack L Chalker series of novels. Thanks. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Make !Focus the default skill for Monks and recycle the !Kick slot so Red Mages can learn !Red Lv4 (and therefore also become useful for more than just Dualcast), kills two birds with one stone. Just needs some thinking for the other bad jobs. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Maleketh posted:

I tried that patch and it caused fairly terrible amounts of slowdown out of battle.

The current version shouldn't have that issue...? What platform are you playing it on?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Maleketh posted:

I checked the patch's readme, and it turns out it absolutely has this issue on VBA, and no, it won't be fixed. What a laughably lovely patch emulator.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Doom Goon posted:

Oh yeah, I was also surprised how easy it was to get everything with The Run party. I think last year with berserkers I used elixirs/hi-potions every six steps or so in the Great Sea Trench, and I remember meatcastle taking forever too. Not this time!

Speaking of, why doesn't mGBA support output of multiple screenshot files (it's one per game filename)? The only reason I got that Shinryu screenshot was because I had a portable backup on a USB.

Use Bizhawk with mGBA core. (Or OpenEmu with mGBA core, if on macOS). Solves all problems.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Rirse posted:

Awesome. I hope someone posts a example photo of how this looks ingame.

(https://freki.aerdan.org/fsrp.ups if you want Fiesta and sound restoration patches alongside.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Rirse posted:

That does look good. I probably use it on my second run after I am done with the SNES version. Do you have a version with only the sound restoration?

https://freki.aerdan.org/srp.ups

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lurdiak posted:

Since the race is nearing its end, what emulator should I use if I want to use the fiesta patch and the music restoration patch?

Anything using the mGBA core. VBA has some issues with the sound restoration patch.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Weaker in the sense that less jobs can use it? Because I thought Brave Blade was more powerful than Chicken Knife.

You cannot ever run if you want a full-power Brave Blade. Ever. And most people will have run enough times that a full-power Chicken Knife would be an improvement. More than that, the Chicken Knife benefits from both Strength and Agility, which means it can potentially be even more powerful than the Ragnarok.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Samuel Clemens posted:

I could have sworn Classic required you to unlock all jobs at the beginning (to emulate the way FF1 did it), but I can't find any reference to it in the rules section. Maybe RK changed it at some point.

Both of my previous attempts with Classic had all of the jobs listed from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

So real life kicked me in the balls for July so that I still haven't finished my first run. When is the final end date for this thing?

31 August, per the FJF site.

• Locked thread