Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ultrafilter posted:

If you're looking for music to get you in the mood for the Fiesta, there's only one choice.

Agreed, but I'm going to go with the PSP remake of FF1's version

Vernatio posted:

Also, not necessarily fiesta related, but I always take this time of the year to pimp Sullla's site, mostly the final fantasy section (http://www.sullla.com/FF/finalfantasy.html). The man is a Final Fantasy V master, and proof that you can complete the fiesta with pretty much any class, given that he's solo-d the game with each class alone (Minus Mime and Berserker). He does really interesting write-ups on the challenges, too.

I'll go ahead and link some good stuff too. Caves of Narshe (https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/) It has a pretty extensive walkthrough, along with job/ability information, good stuff to steal from enemies, and stuff like boss status vulnerabilities. You can even switch between GBA and PSX enemy/ability/item names on the fly with a toggle button on the left side of the site. It's mostly good although it does have some slight errors every once in a while (Atomos is immune to Old, Djibriel! TIME SLIP IS USELESS AGAINST IT!) but I still usually keep the walkthrough open during my playthroughs.

Also if nobody else has posted it, instructrtrepe's stats/algorithms guide (https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/30040) is absolutely invaluable for things like boss AI scripts, damage formulas, what weapons are classified as what type (Rune Bell is classified as an axe, for example!). It works off the SNES version, but I think almost all if not all the info remains accurate for the GBA version, though the spell/enemy names will be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

agradine posted:

At its worst it's still miles better than the PSX version.

I could not disagree more. There's a lot of other bizarre changes that basically boil down to "No fun allowed." There's things like hugely nerfing certain attacks like Beastmaster's releases so Yellow Dragon/Zuu can't hit heavy targets, making it so Chemist's mixes can miss, making Shinryu immune to blind/berserk, and even bizarre things like removing Defender's ability to cast Protect when used as an item,

I understand that the Steam/mobile version fixed a lot of bugs, some that are beneficial, but I can see the argument that it wasn't supposed to be like that (things like W2 Exdeath having Regen again, !Calm not working on non-magic beasts, I'll even grant Omniscient being able to cast Return through berserk), but the things I mentioned were not bugs and seem to only have been changed because "You're not playing the game the way we want you to" which is a really lovely move.

And, as has been mentioned, there are some team compositions for which it's actually impossible to beat the game on the Steam/mobile versions simply because of these awful changes.

I'll give credit where it's due. The enemy sprites look fantastic, even if the PC sprites look like rear end, and they legitimately made some cool changes such as Geomancer being able to use any !Gaia skill rather than having many of them locked behind levels that no sane human being would ever reach in a normal playthrough of the game (although this change does make them more useless in many boss battles since a lot of the high level ones have instant death effects which every boss is immune to, whereas lower level ones at least usually do some damage), but overall I feel (and most people here would probably agree) the Steam/mobile version is far worse than any other version of the game. Yeah, loading times of several seconds simply to go into the menu is really annoying but I'd take that any day over the terrible mechanics changes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

OzFactor posted:

Shinryuu can still be blinded and berserked

Yeah that's a mistake on my part, he can still be berserked and blinded, just it's either impossible or next to impossible to do it with Chemist/Beastmaster due to mechanics changes.

As far as teams that it would be impossible to beat on a normal run in the mobile version, I have a suspicion four Berserkers would be impossible due to the changes in how Berserkers target. I haven't actually mathed it out but all the characters focusing solely on the Vacuum Wave portion of NED for the start of the fight is probably a death sentence.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I made it! Just in time!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've got a question. I'm trying to use Tsukiyomi to patch my game file with the sound restoration/fiesta mod/FFT portrait patch that was posted earlier, but when I tried it said "input checksum is invalid." I'm using a US rom, does that patch only work with PAL or something?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't *think* it's already patched but maybe it is. I guess I'll download a clean one and see what happens.

e: downloaded a fresh ROM, tried to apply the patch, still got "Failed! Input checksum is invalid."

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 18, 2017

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

InfernoBlade posted:

I was able to apply the FFT/sound restoration patch using upset with the No-Intro version of the US ROM (#2533, apparently renumbered from my copy of it... SHA-256 is 55c5f8222759b556c562fc6f72f54ac01128e077e3dde25035be1158ff704374). Are you sure you don't have some fucky ROM or are using the Euro version or something?

I don't think it's a weird rom, and I'm definitely using the US version. At any rate I downloaded NUPS and it said the patch didn't match the file, but it patched it anyway. I started the game up and I have the FFT portraits and SNES music, and I assume I'll have all the jobs when I have those unlocked, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm still plugging through my first run (Beastmaster and Berserker x3) and came across an odd bug that doesn't seem to be mentioned much, in fact I could only find a single GameFAQs thread mentioning it, even the FF Wiki doesn't mention it.

I'm grinding/getting Mirage Vests in the Island Shrine, and so I put Berserk on Lenna, my Beastmaster, so I could do it automatically. I ran into a back attack against the Oiserares, and the first thing I noticed was that instead of being red like a Berserked character usually is, Lenna's sprite was normal colored. In addition, one of the Oisearares cast Confuse, and Lenna became confused...which is very odd, since Berserk is supposed to make you immune to confuse. A few fights later I ran into another back attack and the same thing happened, Lenna's sprite was normal colored. This time however after a couple of seconds, she turned red and began auto-attacking like she's supposed to.

So, I know probably only one other person here has ever used Berserk before, but just so people know. If a character has Berserk equipped as an ability and gets into a back attack, they are NOT considered to be in the Berserk status until their ATB actually fills and they take their turn, meaning they are vulnerable to confuse and charm in that short period of time. This does not apply to the actual Berserker class, though, they are in Berserk status innately and aren't affected. It only affects characters who are not a Berserker but have the Berserk ability equipped.

A very weird bug, to be sure.

• Locked thread