Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derra
Dec 29, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I figure you just used all of whatever's available. So all black mages at the Water Crystal when you unlock it, Samurai comes later.

This is how I always did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, at least it's portable and doesn't have the mechanics changes of the mobile versions.

GBA > SFami > PSX > mobile imo

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Quadzerk. Have fun with the sandworm!

Probably going to do a few this year but with my baby not going towards last years' 30 TCs. Also #chaos for life.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, and when I run multiple runs I get to that point (while grinding to level 10 in the wind temple in case I get something like WM or Thief first) while my previous run is being approved.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the absolute worst party you could get and still pull a Triple Crown?

The worst Triple Crown run I did was the one where I couldn't stunlock Omega and relied on Red Mage Thundara for damage [just looked it up, Sam Nin Sam Rdm] . Trident jump is up there as well.

A Bard with the rest of the party being pulled from Bard, Thief, Geo would be technically guaranteed but such a pain in the rear end.

derra fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Serene Dragon posted:

Probably not the worst team, but my personal worst was beating Omega with samurai/thief/white/monk. I had to get up to level 58 to do it.

58 seems ... really low to beat him with this party. Um, might I ask how you did it?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

barehanded/katana crit fishing + 2 healbots. Shell cuts down on a lot of his bullshit.

Through 95% evasion? You can't raise level to make those crits do significant damage either.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Critical hits double your attack and ignore the target's defense.

I ... am aware? I'm the crazy guy who was mentioned in the infographic for 30 TCs last year. The thought of inputting 80 attack commands on average to scratch Omega makes me skeptical 99 elixirs would last long enough, even with !White, especially in the 50's. Can't use reflect because Atomic Ray would fullheal that level of damage output.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It's completely possible, but it's a random proc and if you don't silence him he will retaliate with Return. Not a very reliable strat but it can work if your damage is very high so you only need a few procs in a row to win.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Pre-Karnak wasn't bad, per se, but it was satisfying getting the Beastmaster (and a :black101:) and start butchering bosses.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Highly recommend that Mega64's boss site gets added to the OP - it's an amazing resource.

https://sites.google.com/site/mega64sa/ff5/ff5-boss-guide

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Use VBA-M.

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/873405855626141696

You'd think by now I could screenshot Shinryu all the time.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Mikl is donating for everyone who does a run with The Run party prior to the start of the fiesta.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

White Mage is the only reason this team isn't true hell. Its a slow, but survivable fiesta run. Dragoon means you can jump over any telegraphed/on death attacks that will wipe you, White allows you to sandbag anything that won't one hit you.

!White is very powerful and easy to use, but !Catch is definitely up there as well and could similarly carry the party by itself. It would just take more grinding to get 3 !Catch users in a reasonable amount of time (I mastered the class for one person in Bal Castle and another finished just in time for Neo-Exdeath so I had 3 9999 hits there) and to catch a few enemies. In addition, if you didn't have !White, you easily may have one of the other powerful classes to carry you (!Blue, !Black, !Time, !Summon, !Mix, !Sing, etc.).

Dragoon is definitely the dead weight for me this run, they don't bring much unless you farm a Dragon Lance to help against Shinryu and NEO (I did not). Ended up being a !White / !Catch / Item bot. One Zerk is a fine addition to most parties, it's only when you have 2 or more and start losing access to multiple party members do they really become a liability (plus I think Krile blocked every Algamest tossed her way, way to go girl!).

derra
Dec 29, 2012
4 digits of HP /envy.

Poor Lenna in my game could Shell up others to survive Almagest, but didn't have enough HP herself.

Well, my thought was "just in case I screwed something up, I'd like someone in the air when the Meteos fall".

Agreed that !Catch isn't necessary for this group and !White is generally faster, I think I only heavily leaned on it for Byblos, Sandworm, W2 Exdeath and NED. In a speed run its not the best choice, but I don't approach the game from that perspective. And I didn't grind too much to get 2 catchers at W2 Exdeath (200 ap of gold needles) and no additional grinding for 3 at NED, Faris mastered the class just as we approached.

My point though is that you could have a party of, say, Thief x3 and Beastmaster and you could do just fine, which means I consider it a strong skillset (tiresome Omega kill though). There's probably less than 5 fights in the entire game that 4 Releases doesn't trivialize.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chaos forever.

Krile also inherits Galuf's capture. You can check it in the status menu, on GBA at least.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Good lord that Soul Cannon fight sucked rear end. Thought I would be clever and release a Zuu to cut a huge chunk of his health, but it didn't do anything. Whoops.

Also, why was my beastmaster with the Guardian dagger doing like twice as much damage as my zerkers? Even if the defense ignoring thing didn't work on this boss for some reason, the zerkers had a much higher attack rating.

Damage in this game is based on the difference between your attack and the enemies defense (how hard you hit per swing), multiplied by a value dependent on your strength and level (how many times you swing per command). Knives such as the Guardian Dagger can also have additional swings based upon your agility. I say can because there's a bug in there which means you only benefit sometimes.

In addition, axes (& hammers) randomly hit between 50% and 100% for their attack value, so there's a large variant in their damage. Soul Cannon has a low defense (5), so the defense reduction ability of axes / hammers doesn't contribute much. A combination of these factors could lead to your dagger user being more effective in the fight.

Did you get a Death Sickle? Please please please make sure to get a Death Sickle if you haven't farmed one yet.

derra fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 11, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Also the deadly jailgamesh! Adamantoise (and it NOT overkill, there is no boss in the game I hate more, try fighting him with bards only gently caress ADAMANTOISE)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Omega is technically possible but not loving happening.

Trident, Axes, and !Calm means this isn't a particularly difficult Omega kill, though. I trivially 1-shot him (and Shinryu) on my way down with very little extra preparation needed (buy a Trident, put !Calm on some people).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Got stuck on Purobolos for a bit, decided to catch D.Chimera for Aqua Rake and then realized I couldn't fire off more than one because !Catch is buried in the Beastmaster job. So I just sort of Jumped and Raised enough times to survive the Self-Destructs, which was faster and I should have done that the first time through! :v:

Into World 2.

You can !Control them and have them self destruct on themselves, which doesn't trigger the Arise counter.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Wanted to see if I could try Omega, but uhm, does the Tame thing only work in the GBA version or something? It doesn't appear to do anything to him on SNES, and if that doesn't work I'm not sure how this fight would be possible.

Yeah it was a bug introduced in the GBA version. Don't try Omega on SFami FFV with this party.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
That being said, Omega isn't *impossible* with this party. I've done similar Fiestas before.

Bring Elixirs and levels. More levels = more damage, increased resistance to Encircle and an HP buffer for some attacks. Elixirs because you will need HP & MP.

Your primary source of damage is going to be the Dragoon, Jumping with a Trident equipped. Jumps always hit (getting past Omega's 95% evasion) and the electric element of the Trident penetrates Omega's 190 defense.

I *believe* Yellow Dragons should still do 9999 per !Release, right? Never done it myself but nothing is stopping that. Not enough to kill but takes off 40% of his HP.

Setup would be (with key equipment):
Dragoon w/ !White
Trident
Aegis Shield
Genji Armor (Gives confuse immunity, steal from Necrophobe Gilgamesh with the Thief Knife)
Hermes Sandals

WM with !Catch (Yellow Dragon)
Lamia Tiara (Bought in Phantom Village, immunity to confuse)
Hermes Sandals

Beastmaster with !White (Yellow Dragon)
No way for confuse immunity (well, the Bone Mail works, but seeing as you're reliant on !White...)
Some weak weapon, like a Knife or Dagger, in case you get confused so you deal 0 damage
Hermes Sandals

Berserker with whutever:
Any Dagger (You do NOT want your Berserker dealing damage, which they will do with a sufficiently strong Axe. Omega will counter and will likely screw you).
Aegis Shield
Whatever

Berserkers are naturally confuse-immune, so that's good. Hopefully they can soak or block some of Omega's attacks.

Confusing some cats to get your party floating pre-fight is highly recommended.

Keep everyone above 50% health and shelled up. Keep the Beastmaster from being confused. I'd release the dragons once he drops below 20k hp. Otherwise, it's a slow and steady burn, attacking when you can.

It may be better to have Catch on the Dragoon as well.

This is *not* a guaranteed kill setup. You will die a lot. Instantly, in many cases. It will take a large portion of luck as well as learning when it is safe to attack Omega (and the Jump delay makes this even harder).

But a win is possible.

derra fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 16, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Haste shoes are probably the best in general, but the elemental rings and angel rings are better in specific fights or to cover weaknesses in party composition.

For example, if you don't have a white mage but you do have a black mage, you can equip everyone with flame rings to turn your fire spells into healing spells. This can also let you heal someone wearing the bone mail.

Most parties with a Black Mage can just wipe everything off the map. Please, if you are new to the Fiesta, at least ask before grinding up that cash.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Sexy Archaeoavis kill by elmagus.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Blue Chemist Berserker Mystic, W1 down.

Whelp this will be easy.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Rudicron posted:

Very well.
Inspired by Dragondarch's level-matching Goblin Punch shenanigans, one of my own FF5 memories, and the current hypothesis that #regpopular is weighted toward blue mages;

I pledge $5 for each Galuf who hits Exdeath with a level-matched Goblin Punch, to a maximum of $100 (for I am unfortunately not inordinately wealthy).

After all, what better way to protect your granddaughter from a tree demon, than with a magically enhanced punch to the face?

Quoting this for my reference. Might want to add this to the OP as well.

This Exdeath is level 63.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Rudicron posted:

Very well.
Inspired by Dragondarch's level-matching Goblin Punch shenanigans, one of my own FF5 memories, and the current hypothesis that #regpopular is weighted toward blue mages;

I pledge $5 for each Galuf who hits Exdeath with a level-matched Goblin Punch, to a maximum of $100 (for I am unfortunately not inordinately wealthy).

After all, what better way to protect your granddaughter from a tree demon, than with a magically enhanced punch to the face?

First time making a .gif. Am I doing this right?

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/876440120492261376

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Have a BASCH!

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/876493522748280832

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Austere things posted:

Ok, so I have what is probably a pretty dumb question about my Pure Chaos run, but I'm not entirely sure how to go forward with this.

So far, I've rolled a Geomancer for Wind Crystal and Zerker for Water which is fine, but I'm not sure if that means I should be running a team of mixed Freelancers and Zerkers until I get to the fire crystal or if I should go all Zerkers since that's the only legitimate job available to me right now.

All zerks.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Steal hi potions. Use hammers/axes. Do you have to use 2 thieves? Otherwise just level or throw attempts at him until it sticks.

I guess the solo thief strat can work, too. Come in with elixirs and 99 pots / hi pots. Living thief, 3 dead party members. Defend and heal until Byblos runs out of mana (this takes a LONG time). Res up and kill him.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 18, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

rundxdi posted:

Gettin worried about having nothing but time mages until the earth crystal... mostly archaeoavis since rods rods rods for everything else (once I have the patience to get some gil)

Make sure to get the Main Gauche, but Haste, Slow, Regen and the Healing Staff will see you through pretty trivially.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Eh. The only real thing Turtle Shell's do for you with White around is Haste.

His W2 offense is bleh. Most fights can be worked around, but having a couple for Drain Kissing W2 Exdeath couldn't hurt.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Rather than Split Shelling prototypes, is there a good way for non Beastmasters to get Dark Matter? There's 6 targets worth Death potioning in W2: Dragon Pod, Boatgamesh, Crystals. !Red and !Gaia should be sufficient on Dragon Pod for a slow but steady kill. Likewise, two of the four crystals are nullified or actually beneficial with more plentiful mixes (Resist Fire or Dragon Shield, Levisalve). I can see an argument for 3 Dark matter but would only use two myself (and you get 2 Dark Matter story wise by the time you need them): kill Boatgamesh and either the wind or water crystal. For the rest of the crystals, kill off water, everyone starts in the back, protect / shell / Levisalve / Resist Fire, get fire to critical so it heals you every turn, plink down the other crystals before finishing fire.

derra fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 19, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Reflect Ring on zombie, another character hides until Shinryu kills himself.

Yes, it takes a while. I see a knight but can't ID Krile; what class is she? If it's dragoon get a Dragon Lance and have that person spam jump to knock off as much HP before they go down. Between that and a few Apollo hits a win shouldn't take too long.

Heck you probably don't need Zombies. Have your Bard dodge the first Tidal Wave with Hide (or jump?). Dragoon jumps. Ranger Rapid-fire with CK then dies. Knight can Equip Lance a Dragon Lance as well for a hit.

Takes some luck but you have incredible damage potential.

derra fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, basically what I'm hearing is, if I don't have a whitemage for berserk, a bard for love song, or a chemist for !Mix shenanigans, Shinryu and Omega aren't really doable with a lot of fiesta team compositions?

http://imgur.com/a/3rDVa I am very there! Gazing wistfully into the void and contemplating the nature of the abyss.

I have 51 consecutive Triple Crown fiesta runs, and all but 3 have been chaos (so repeats possible). Several of those were painful (Red Mage as your damage source without locking Omega down ugh) and there are certainly parties that can't kill Omega in particular, but insanity goes a long way.

What's your party Focacc?

derra fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2017

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Yeah, Gilgamesh 1 is vulnerable to a surprising amount of things (almost certainly because the devs didn't want you to be screwed if Galuf had all your weak link classes). My personal favorite is still Mini.

My favorite is Gravity. He has a lot of HP so that you don't kill him before his flee script kicks in. Gravity (and other percentile stuff) one shots him.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

When is the first time you can buy hi-potions? Not having any healing except for regular ol' potions and elixirs is such a pain, 50 hp at a time ain't cutting it.

World 2.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
a butt is victorious

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/877002133358489601

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, unfortunately they do. He will react to your zero-damage punches with his 9999 damage Strong Fights and laugh hysterically.

Get to him with as many blind axe and zombies zerks as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Omegachat: Beyond stop shenanigans with bard or GBA beastmaster, there are a couple of paths that people haven't mentioned. A couple classes stand out as useful/unbelievably broken:

Black mage: Omega's counters aren't triggered by reflected damage, so the safest way to deal damage to him is via reflected Bolt3's. Note that the net damage is even better if you can manage reflect on the whole party with reflect. Red mages in theory can also do this reflect strat, but it will be less effective with Bolt2 access only. Note you still need to able to sustain his regular AI script, which is no joke.

Time mage: Everyone knows that omega is weak to stop, but his sky-high magic evasion means this isn't viable via the Time magic spell. However, time mage can kill literally everything using a venom rod + the quick spell (probably patched out outside of SFC). Just start a damage over time on the enemy and then activate quick but don't input any other commands. Walk away from the game and your enemy will be dead in however long it takes.

Chemist: Chemist can do literally anything you want. I'll just mention that Kiss of Blessing is only imperfectly patched in GBA, it still pierces berserk resistance. (What the gba fix did was prevent this berserked state from bypassing the trigger to start the NED fight.)

The Black Mage bit isn't quite true. Omega will counter reflected damage. What he won't counter is if not ALL the damage done hits him.

If you target Thundaga on your party with all 4 people reflected, he will get hit with 4 bolts and counter you. If you only have 3 people reflected, however, one of your party members will get hit too, and Omega will NOT counter.

Note that it is on hit, not target. If the poor sap in your party without Reflect has an Aegis Shield and blocks their bolt, Omega WILL counter. You can use diamond equipment to help resist the damage, though.

For most parties on both of these bosses Hermes Sandals are the accessories of choice, even if it means wiping to Atomic Ray immediately several times.

• Locked thread