Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As much fun as the fiesta is, I think I'm bowing out this year. I already have my hands full with my project for the 30 years of Final Fantasy megathread where I go through the entire series's set of remakes in original chronological order. See, I'm already suffering masochistically as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

...I assume you're joking on all counts?

Edit: Practice run with Bard/Monk/Ninja/White Mage is done. And bards are as busted as always, though I'd not paired one with a ninja before.

Yeah, he's gotta be joking. Samurai are great, they're basically knights with katanas instead of swords, and can throw money at problems to make them go away. Phoenix Tower is only worth it if you have a summoner, or really want to grind on magic pots. And the Flame Shield is a good choice if you don't have an easy way to heal against the crystal fight, but other than that, Aegis is the way to go.

An actual helpful tip for newbies: If you get Blue Magic you can roll over most of the game with a little work, but also the Blue Magic "Goblin Punch" is ridiculously useful for most of the game. Especially if you grab Excalipoor.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

widespread posted:

Also nine times out of ten: Consider the Chicken Knife when faced with the choice of either that or the Brave Sword, unless you have a reason why you want the sword.

The reason being is that in early-game runs, running away might be a good idea with your team comp.

I had Knight/Samurai/Blue/Beast last year. I was one of the what? 8? 10? Goons that Triple Crowned with a full powered Brave Sword. Trust me, getting some of the level dependent blue magic without running is a bitch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Agreed, but I'm going to go with the PSP remake of FF1's version

:hfive: If you can play it, I strongly recommend the PSP version of FF1. It really is the best, though the Anniversary Edition dungeon (which is also in the mobile ports I believe) is kinda rear end, the graphics and music are great, and the Dawn of Souls content is fantastic. That theme right there is ONLY used for the Bonus Gilgamesh Fight, and nowhere else. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I still use Visual Boy Advance *shrug*

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

widespread posted:

I want to learn how to do this.

I'm going to recommend you only emulate on your phone if you have external storage capability. Roms and saves will eat up your memory fast. Anyways, MyBoy! is easy enough to find in app stores. I have the free version, which doesn't have the bells and whistles, like savestates or whatever, but that's okay. It's pretty straightforward, and phone emulators usually assume you're going to control the games via touch screen overlay (usually transparent), though I've discovered that even better is to buy a bluetooth gamepad (they aren't expensive) as most emulators are compatible with them. I recommend one that comes with a clip to secure your phone to the pad, as that's easier than trying to juggle the two.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

jyrque posted:

Any opinion on whether or not to use the job unlock mod for a first ever clear of FFV? I'm by no means an expert on the game but I do have previous experience with it. I have played the game multiple times towards end game but never actually fought the last boss. Does the mod also unlock monster encyclopedia or how am I supposed to understand the screenshots in OP? If so, it sounds like a good idea to unlock it just to avoid having to Google every monster weakness or carried items.

edit: vvvv lol what is up with that quote???

Just go to the final fantasy wikia site to look up the monsters. While the site's not perfect, it's pretty great for things like bestiaries and item and spell lists. Probably in a three way tie with Marvel and DC for the wikia I look at the most/most useful.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

With a Mexican mustache

In other words, a Jumbo Cactuar. (those are standard on them)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bufuman posted:

And I can't hear him over the sound of how loving BRAVE I am!

I full power brave bladed last year too. Running is for cowards :black101:

I also got 100% blue magic that run. Beastmaster helped, but my 4th was samurai. Good luck getting some of those blues without a reliable way to aim a reflect spell, and without running to reset battles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What was the time for the kickoff run?

• Locked thread